Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Astro7x posted:

I would imagine that would bomb pretty bad as the expectations for a subscription service are pretty high. When you compare the PS+ Instant Game Collection at $4/mo which includes modern PS3 and Vita games, could you really see Nintendo offering a virtual console subscription service for less than the price of a single NES game to compete? Even if it was the same price, it would be dismissed by gamers because it's too expensive compared to the other next gen offerings.

I just assume that somebody had run the numbers and figured out they'll make more money selling NES games at $5 because they wouldn't be able to sell 5x as many for $1.

Personally, I looked back at my play time history on some of the Virtual Console games I've bought and it's just sad. I can't believe I bought some games that I played for no more than an hour, and it really discourages me from buying more knowing the nostalgia factor will wear off. I'll just play the drat games on my actual N64 or SNES.

But having PS+ doesn't stop people from buying games, even if they know that it could be available for free within a year. It also offers additional discounts for everything that's put on sale or permanently reduced in price to encourage this.

What Nintendo has going for them is that they wouldn't be paying to give away modern games, they could keep it going for years just with their own games before having to dip into the Genesis, Turbographx or Neo Geo catalogues. They could structure it so that you get 1 N64 game, 2 SNES, 4 NES, and 2 Game Boy games per month, so they'd go through the systems with the smaller catalogues less quickly. In this case, the fact that so many games are missing right now would be an advantage, since they could hold back games just for this service, and only release them for everyone much later.

There are still many problems with the Virtual Console, such as the lack of a proper account system meaning that the transition to the next console could be just as rough, and the lack of cross-compatibility with the 3DS, so the system's not exactly suitable for this. But what they're currently doing is far from the most effective way to monetise their enormous back catalogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Boiled Water posted:

The gamepads battery life is somewhere in the 4-ish hours range, yes? Is it possible to use it while it's charing ala a PS3 controller?

Definitely, it's how I usually play.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

But having PS+ doesn't stop people from buying games, even if they know that it could be available for free within a year. It also offers additional discounts for everything that's put on sale or permanently reduced in price to encourage this.

It's gonna stop me, since I tend to wait a year for games to drop drastically in price unless they're Nintendo games which never drop in price. Battlefield 4 is the only game I plan on buying for my PS4 besides a few of the announced indie games for quite some time.

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!

deadwing posted:

It's gonna stop me, since I tend to wait a year for games to drop drastically in price unless they're Nintendo games which never drop in price. Battlefield 4 is the only game I plan on buying for my PS4 besides a few of the announced indie games for quite some time.

This is the same reason that I'm waiting for another TRU/Target sale of Buy 2 get 1 free or something almost as good, for Nintendo.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

To Vex a Stranger posted:

This is the same reason that I'm waiting for another TRU/Target sale of Buy 2 get 1 free or something almost as good, for Nintendo.

Yeah, I'm holding off on W101 and Rayman in hopes of such a sale sometime soon.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

deadwing posted:

Yeah, I'm holding off on W101 and Rayman in hopes of such a sale sometime soon.

Both of those games are gonna be real cheap real soon, sale or not.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

That loving Sned posted:

What Nintendo has going for them is that they wouldn't be paying to give away modern games, they could keep it going for years just with their own games before having to dip into the Genesis, Turbographx or Neo Geo catalogues. They could structure it so that you get 1 N64 game, 2 SNES, 4 NES, and 2 Game Boy games per month, so they'd go through the systems with the smaller catalogues less quickly. In this case, the fact that so many games are missing right now would be an advantage, since they could hold back games just for this service, and only release them for everyone much later.

There are still many problems with the Virtual Console, such as the lack of a proper account system meaning that the transition to the next console could be just as rough, and the lack of cross-compatibility with the 3DS, so the system's not exactly suitable for this. But what they're currently doing is far from the most effective way to monetise their enormous back catalogue.
They could also steal a trick from Marvel and offer everything, for a monthly subscription and you lose access if your subscription runs out, of course.

What would you pay for the entire SNES library? $15 a month? I loving well would.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

CapnAndy posted:

What would you pay for the entire SNES library? $15 a month? I loving well would.

You are EVERYTHING that is wrong with Nintendo fans today.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah just stick to crazy unrealistic expectations like Nintendo not putting out VC games at a glacial pace.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
You could just buy an SNES and the good SNES games for a lot less then the total sum of 15 a month, man.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Or emulate one game and go 'welp these games are terrible why did I remember them as great?'.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

They could also steal a trick from Marvel and offer everything, for a monthly subscription and you lose access if your subscription runs out, of course.

If you said $5 I'd believe it, because it's like an Xbox Live subscription except you get access to old games instead of online multiplayer.

edit: that is to say, at $5 people could at least compare it to the other subscription services

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

A huge chunk of the SNES library isn't even worth $5 a month unless you find some sadistic pleasure in playing crap like Home Improvement: Power Tool Pursuit.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

CapnAndy posted:

$15 a month for games I've either played dozens of times or have forgotten for good reasons? No, I think I'll pass on that, thanks.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
I wouldn't pay $15 a month for SNES games, but I might pay $15 a month for Netflix But With Nintendo Games.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

The_Franz posted:

A huge chunk of the SNES library isn't even worth $5 a month unless you find some sadistic pleasure in playing crap like Home Improvement: Power Tool Pursuit.

Home Improvement: Power Tool Pursuit will not be available due to licensing issues unfortunately.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Don't worry for 5 a month you all can play Urban Champion as much* as you want!

*Not even once.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I can just as easily download the entire SNES collection from some website and play on an emulator on my laptop.

If Nintendo did it, you would only be able to get a handful of games from the SNES library. No matter how much a month they charged, Nintendo could never ever offer every SNES game.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Why is there even a human involved in releasing Nintendo-made games on virtual console? Can't they just pick 3 at random each week and make more money? I suppose they ought to test them or something but meh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jeffrey posted:

Why is there even a human involved in releasing Nintendo-made games on virtual console? Can't they just pick 3 at random each week and make more money? I suppose they ought to test them or something but meh.

Because it isn't that simple.

Nintendo doesn't own every SNES/NES game. They can only release ones they have the license to release and even with some Nintendo stuff there is controversy there. (See: DKC.) They also have to test the game to make sure it doesn't actually make the Wii/Wii U explode or something, going "meh" doesn't really work when one screwup would hurt a lot.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Testing time is not why it's taking them so long to release VC games. They just think this 'trickle' effect causes each new game added to be more desirable.

Also I don't really know how much testing they really do considering they put out a day 1 patch that bricked systems and Nintendoland was a buggy crashing mess when it first launched. And wow is a crash the most annoying sound I've ever heard a game console produce.

e: and the Wii U is the same archetecture as the Wii so I dont even know what there is to test with 99% of these VC games being Wii VC titles getting ported over. The real reason this poo poo gets trickled out might be to keep tricking people into paying the stupid and unnecessary upgrade fee over and over.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 12, 2013

Diet Lime
Aug 11, 2013

by toby

Nonsense posted:

Every time I showed my friends the 3DS they always did the same thing. Pointed parallel to the circle pad on the opposite side of the screen and say "What the gently caress would it have cost them to add that a second stick on that side"

And they go back to not owning it. Glad I enjoy it at least..gently caress.

The cost of the gamepad for the Wii U itself is one of many massive blunders, but in my opinion it is the biggest operational blunder Nintendo's committed in a long time.

Also "internet people" want Iwata arrested/fired for admitting to buying 10,000 Wii U's.

The thing about that is that it's totally retarded because dual analog on a 3DS sized thing wouldn't work because actually using both thumb sticks would leave you with little grip to hold the thing; at the very least the sticks themselves would have to be different- less springy.

The real complaint is why couldn't they have embossed some texture onto that drat nub that actually accommodates any amount of friction at all, I find it a terrible pain to use because my thumb is always slipping off it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

WickedHate posted:

You could just buy an SNES and the good SNES games for a lot less then the total sum of 15 a month, man.

I have a good feeling buying a SNES and then trying to get copies of my old SNES RPG library would cost me more than that.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I have a good feeling buying a SNES and then trying to get copies of my old SNES RPG library would cost me more than that.

Well, it depends on how long you'd keep the hypothetical subscription going. I got an FC Twin for about a hundred, maybe.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
The solution is obviously to release open source dev tools emulating the NES/SNES/N64 architecture so that people can create new NES/SNES/N64 games that Nintendo can put on their virtual console.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
NPD numbers are a-comin'.

Pikmin charted at number 10. Sadly, number 10 doesn't mean much in a month like August, because it only sold 115,000 copies (retail+digital) making it the worst launch of the series.

Analysts were predicting something in the 185,000 range. Pachter predicted almost 400,000 :lol:

Wii U numbers should be out within a couple of hours.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Quest For Glory II posted:

Testing time is not why it's taking them so long to release VC games. They just think this 'trickle' effect causes each new game added to be more desirable.

I will admit that got me at first when the Wii was brand new and the concept of owning games I never played like Ristar was kind of neat. Now I'm just like... give me the half dozen games I want or who cares.

But what do I know, maybe they actually still sell pretty well.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

One and the Same posted:

But the Gamepad. :negative: None of the games I want for the WiiU even require it. I don't care if I wouldn't be able to play Nintendoland or whatever if they released a cheap SKU sans Gamepad.

Man you just don't know how good needing to poop and not having to stop playing is yet

Quest For Glory II posted:

This is probably what it is really. Nintendo has always done this from what I can tell. It's why their game delays always happen to delay the game to a really conveniently empty spot. I have a feeling Twilight Princess was finished forever and just sat around for an entire year waiting for the Wii to come out.

whaley fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 13, 2013

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Astro7x posted:

I will admit that got me at first when the Wii was brand new and the concept of owning games I never played like Ristar was kind of neat. Now I'm just like... give me the half dozen games I want or who cares.

But what do I know, maybe they actually still sell pretty well.

What really irks me is that for those of us who have no desire for a WiiU, we will be forever screwed over by Nintendo not releasing Earthbound for the Wii VC.

No console, in my opinion, is worth a singular game, much less a VC game.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

DarkSol posted:

What really irks me is that for those of us who have no desire for a WiiU, we will be forever screwed over by Nintendo not releasing Earthbound for the Wii VC.

I'd much rather have it on the 3DS eShop personally...

Thankfully the other week in the Earthbound thread someone pointed out that there was a file manager app in the iOS store that had a secret SNES emulator in it. Grabbed it for a buck and it works wonderfully for SNES games on the go like Earthbound.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Sooooooo... about that third party support.

There was talk of publishers watching the Wii U version of Splinter Cell to use as a gauge of if ports are worth it and uhhh....

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=81524633&postcount=581

It did a similar percentage in the UK.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

DarkSol posted:

When has any console ever had only a singular game worth owning? Nintendo isn't screwing you over by not releasing an 18 year old game on their dead last gen console. If you don't want a Wii U now wait a few years and see if it looks more appealing at $199 with X and Smash Bros and whatever else released.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Crowbear posted:

There was talk of publishers watching the Wii U version of Splinter Cell to use as a gauge of if ports are worth it and uhhh....

Yeah, that's not surprising at all. Right now is probably the best time for the Wii U since it's arguably at parity with the 360/PS3, but once it's a generation behind in terms of hardware no one will buy stuff on it unless they have no choice (can't afford a PS4/XB1, nintendo exclusive). It might not even have enough of a market presence to be worth backporting poo poo like FIFA, etc. did for the Wii.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Crowbear posted:

Wow, I don't even think the Wii ever had it THAT bad.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Rayman stats will probably be just as bad for the September report right?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Crowbear posted:

Maybe if the multiplayer wasn't utterly broken, it would have done better. Watching half-assed ports do terribly is nothing surprising.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Who the hell bought a game where Miiverse messages pop up with people saying "THIS GAME IS BROKEN" next to SPLINTER CELL BLACKLIST on the main screen you see when you turn on your console?

whaley fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 13, 2013

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I'm still laughing at the idea of paying 15 dollars a month for the privilege of playing SNES games.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Rayman stats will probably be just as bad for the September report right?

Nah. Rayman will sell horribly as a whole, but the Wii U version will do well. There's actually a fanbase for platformers on the console, just not for any other genre.

Also, here is a pie chart of hardware sales this month: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=81531001&postcount=749

The 360 sold 96,000 units (green). I think the Wii U is the blue. I have no idea how to measure the slices to get the numbers for the other consoles :saddowns:

e: OK guesstimates are around 36,000. That's a whole 7k more than last month! Pikmin bump!!!! Scratch that people's numbers are all over the place

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Crowbear posted:

Nah. Rayman will sell horribly as a whole, but the Wii U version will do well. There's actually a fanbase for platformers on the console, just not for any other genre.

Also, here is a pie chart of hardware sales this month: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=81531001&postcount=749

The 360 sold 96,000 units (green). I think the Wii U is the blue. I have no idea how to measure the slices to get the numbers for the other consoles :saddowns:

e: OK guesstimates are around 36,000. That's a whole 7k more than last month! Pikmin bump!!!! Scratch that people's numbers are all over the place
Well, spending 15 seconds in photoshop and copying the blue slice on top of the green one shows it's just under 1/3 that of the 360. So somewhere around 30K.

• Locked thread