Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
A receptionist has to make a spreadsheet with a list of names on it. She wants the first letter capitalized, and the rest of the name lowercase.

She doesn't want to use the shift key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Oh hey, remember my complaints about the support department a couple pages ago?

All of those upper management types I complained about were let go. Total wipeout.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch. ;)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My Cryptolocker infection came from someone who received his daily Postini spam summary and decided to manually deliver the infected spam email and then open the goddamn attachment. Idiot. This incident sucked monkey-balls.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

demonachizer posted:

Was it in Watertown rather than Boston proper?

I don't remember exactly, it was on Federal Street. Sad to say I didn't get it :(

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

A receptionist has to make a spreadsheet with a list of names on it. She wants the first letter capitalized, and the rest of the name lowercase.

=UPPER(LEFT(A1,1))&LOWER(RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1))

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

You mean like proper()?

dorkanoid posted:

=UPPER(LEFT(A1,1))&LOWER(RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1))
:eng99:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Re: Drinking on the job

I worked at a (failed) internet startup that modified a standing refrigerator to have holes in it so it could support kegs. Every Friday they would dress up really fancy (like tuxedo fancy) and go to an expensive restaurant for lunch and get slashed, it was called 'formal friday'.

When I worked at a game company they had a fridge just for beer next to the one for food. That policy continued until they were bought by EA, which frowned on it for some reason and discontinued it.

The weirdest thing? I didn't drink a drop in either situation. It's like there's a switch in my brain, labelled 'working' in one position and 'drinking' in the other.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I've been following Cryptolocker since it hit last week and man is it a doozy. Long story short if they don't have good backups or don't pay the ransom, they are highly unlikely to be getting their files back.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

My Cryptolocker infection came from someone who received his daily Postini spam summary and decided to manually deliver the infected spam email and then open the goddamn attachment. Idiot. This incident sucked monkey-balls.
Do you guys have examples of these emails? Like how did these doofuses get "socially engineered" into clicking through?

I'm just so loving grateful that I quit my old job. I can completely picture my old stressball boss tearing her hair out the past two days over Cryptolocker. Would have been my problem.

Scaramouche posted:

The weirdest thing? I didn't drink a drop in either situation. It's like there's a switch in my brain, labelled 'working' in one position and 'drinking' in the other.
I find working fun with drinking. The novelty of it is definitely part of it. If it was a regular thing, that would be alcoholism territory.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Restore points seem to work for getting rid of Crytolocker, which is something at least.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

Do you guys have examples of these emails? Like how did these doofuses get "socially engineered" into clicking through?

For me it was from XeroxScanner@mydomain.com with a subject line about a scanned document. The user had just scanned something. On a Ricoh.

Postini grabbed it and when he got the daily summary he hit the Deliver link.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Cyrptolocker is pretty easy to get rid of, its the whole encryption thing that is going to burn people

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Did Postini detect the virus or did it just classify it as spam?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

teethgrinder posted:

I find working fun with drinking. The novelty of it is definitely part of it. If it was a regular thing, that would be alcoholism territory.

My last two jobs were totally fine with drinking while working. Countless times a few of us went out for lunch with the VP of IT and gotten hammer drunk on reposado to come back in around 2 to spend the rest of the day reeking of tequila. Or drinking mud slides with the Director of IT at lunch in the break room and rounding out the day with vodka martinis made from the Russian Standard in the freezer. Let's just say that Don Draper and Roger Sterling had nothing on us.

Countless times people would get back into the office and find dark corners (or the lactation station, beanbag meeting room, under the foosball table) to pass out until close of business.

Strangely enough, both companies got bought out from under us and everyone in IT fired. I have no idea why...

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Late in the day, usually a Friday I'll find some upper management and OG employees from "before our company was a company" sharing wine in the break room... Otherwise no drinking of alcoholic beverages allowed.

We do have some kickass bbq's though.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

teethgrinder posted:

People are morons and will open any attachment that catches their interest, or "forces" them into action. Examples:

Fed Ex email: "you have an unclaimed package"
IRS email: "There was a problem found on your tax return"
Bank email: "There was unauthorized activity on your account"

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
After coming close to finishing the configuration of the 100-150 or so switches at work, Jim came in and told us that because SOMEONE was loving up and couldn't save the configs properly, he wanted us to go through EVERY switch again and check the startup-config on each one...these take forever to start up... :(

Zeratanis fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 13, 2013

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Gweenz posted:

People are morons and will open any attachment that catches their interest, or "forces" them into action. Examples:

Fed Ex email: "you have an unclaimed package"
IRS email: "There was a problem found on your tax return"
Bank email: "There was unauthorized activity on your account"
Your examples need a bunch of typos and misspellings to be accurate :colbert:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Scikar posted:

Did Postini detect the virus or did it just classify it as spam?

Classified it as Bulk Spam.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Gweenz posted:

Fed Ex email: "you HAve an unclaimed packages"
IRS email: "Their was a problem found on you're tax return"
Bank email: "Praise Jesus and God to you. There was a unauthorized activity on you account"

There we go.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

you can probably tell that I work in an environment where I see "clever" solutions in excel all the time.

my favourite quote: "what? you can only have 8 IF()s nested?!"

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
I worked in a place once that the Boss insisted on a fresh case of beer delivered each morning and put on ice. He refused to drink old beer *shrug*. Oh, and the beer on ice was stored in the coolroom. Current place most people have some wine in thier cupboard. A drink at lunch will be ignored, but everything else is after 4.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I have a bottle of bullet bourbon on my desk right now, and every friday we have a happy hour with beer/wine and booze. Its pretty normal to have a beer at lunch(or many beers depending on how the day is going) when we actually go and sit down somewhere for lunch.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

dorkanoid posted:

you can probably tell that I work in an environment where I see "clever" solutions in excel all the time.

To your credit, I did check to make sure proper() was actually a function in Excel 2003, but god help you if you're using an older version than that.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Loan her a VBA book with a smile, and come back for it in a week.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh hey, remember my complaints about the support department a couple pages ago?

All of those upper management types I complained about were let go. Total wipeout.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch. ;)
This. This is like a goddamned unicorn. Hold onto this moment forever.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

She can do what quite a few of the users here do, hit the Caps lock key, type the letter, then hit the caps lock key again and type out the rest. I know this, because Windows helpfully pops up a balloon that tells them their caps lock is on when they're typing in their password. Do they not know what the shift key is for? The really weird part is that it's not just one user, as I've seen quite a few that do this.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I have some people who use the number pad for their password. Sometimes the numlock key gets hit and the trouble report I get is that "when I log in, it takes me back to the login screen again."

What's really happening is they type "GoP@ckers2 enter" but the 2 is actually a down arrow which selects "Switch User"

The worst thing for me is when you're trying to help someone choose a password.
I just love this:
pre:
Username: JDoe45
Password: **********
Confirm : ********

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
A call came in!
At midnight!
After I'd been asleep for an hour!
I haven't been on after-hours support for two years!

NEVER let your clients have your cellphone number - even if it is a business phone - and
ALWAYS remember to turn the ringer off at the end of the day.

(Client's a pretty chill guy, and it was a system down, so I did try to help out for a few minutes... But I copied my boss and the CIO on the resulting email exchange. I'm looking for time off tomorrow for this.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TWBalls posted:

She can do what quite a few of the users here do, hit the Caps lock key, type the letter, then hit the caps lock key again and type out the rest. I know this, because Windows helpfully pops up a balloon that tells them their caps lock is on when they're typing in their password. Do they not know what the shift key is for? The really weird part is that it's not just one user, as I've seen quite a few that do this.

Are they terminal services users? There's something with Windows Server where it will pop up the sticky keys window every time you press shift while connected via RDP sometimes.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

dorkanoid posted:

Don't feel bad dude, I had no idea Proper() existed, I'd have done it your way too.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

dorkanoid posted:

I hit this limit once building a fake gaant chart out of a linked excel spreadsheet because the team was spooked by project.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

frogbert posted:

Don't feel bad dude, I had no idea Proper() existed, I'd have done it your way too.

I knew about Proper() but when I read the post I was constructing some god-awful VBA routine in my head. I never pick the easy path.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

J posted:

Shopping for laptops is pissing me off. I've been tasked with buying a kickass laptop for a C level. It's gotta look nice for presentations, have "a big screen for watching movies on" and also have a touchscreen, on a ~$1200-$1500ish budget. I'm really not sure why it has to have a touchscreen, and the touchscreen requirement is throwing a goddamn monkey wrench into this process. Having a touchscreen steers everything into the sleeker, lighter, more portable (read: smaller screen) type of laptop which isn't what I want here. Every time I try a different manufacturer's laptop customizer I find myself unable to really put together the mix of options that I want. Typically it's not being able to put a goddamn SSD in the thing. Some of them seem to have some type of traditional hard drive + SSD cache option. Now I've never tried a laptop with an SSD cache like that - does it boot up fast like it would on a SSD? That's really what I care about.

I just want to be able to put together something awesome and be able to stand by it and really vouch for it, but the more I think about it the more I realize I've never actually worked with a laptop that I truly liked. Argh.
This is a really sad post. Think of how ridiculous your job is - having to search high and low for a business laptop for some manager who probably can't differentiate a harddrive from a motherboard, for watching movies on (why?), and with a touchscreen that will likely never be used. "Looking nice for presentations" too. Ugh, talk about working in an adult kindergarden. He should be given a standard company laptop and be told to STFU.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

TWBalls posted:

I have a foot pedal thingy that presents as a USB keyboard, with the 3 pedals mapped up to Shift, Ctrl and Alt. Saves wear and tear on my little fingers.

Or it would, if my typing style wasn't so ingrained after all these years that I can never remember to use it. In practice the pedal only gets used as a crouch button in gaming.

Time Crysis.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Lum posted:

I have a foot pedal thingy that presents as a USB keyboard, with the 3 pedals mapped up to Shift, Ctrl and Alt. Saves wear and tear on my little fingers.

Or it would, if my typing style wasn't so ingrained after all these years that I can never remember to use it. In practice the pedal only gets used as a crouch button in gaming.

Time Crysis.

Price and link please :)

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

frogbert posted:

I didn't know about Proper(), and I don't really care - half my job some days is making people do things the right way (in this case, press loving Shift - or "don't nest 15 IF()s").

My solution is one of those :v:-solutions where, in a few years time when the original solution is lost to the mists of time, you get something like "I'm sorry, mr. O'Malley, we can't capitalize the M in your name due to how the system handles names"

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Swink posted:

I knew about Proper() but when I read the post I was constructing some god-awful VBA routine in my head. I never pick the easy path.

You can almost imagine that if you suggest Proper() the answer is "no, you have to fix it in the same cell!" - leading to some VBA routine tied to "OnCellChange" (or whatever the event is called) to fix capitalization...and then complaints about "Excel is so slow!".

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

tarbrush posted:

Price and link please :)

Really not cheap. $149 if you're American
http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/fs-savant-elite.htm

I use it in combination with this keyboard, which I absolutely adore after loving up my fingers in the late 90s.
http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/advantage.htm

The foot switch is a little odd, the software for programming it is terrible, but it actually uses something called X-Keys internally, so I managed to blag the X-Keys developer into sending me links to their programming stuff which works a lot better, the default software works fine for actual data input but certain keys get mapped incorrectly when DirectInput is involved. http://xkeys.com/software.php

Lum fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
X-Keys is the industry standard for broadcasting equipment.

The latest iteration of their drives are actually pretty good, but the springs on the keys tend to wear out after a few years.

• Locked thread