Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

In terms of stick talk, Markman from MadCatz also posted a new Korean-style stick coming soon on Shoryuken, which was supposedly shown at EVO but I must have missed it.

quote:

Authentic Korean lever used in Korean arcades & Sanwa 30mm pushbuttons
Crown CWJ-303A and Sanwa OBSF-30-O
Available for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3
Xbox 360 version is white with white Crown CWJ-303A, PS3 version is black with black Crown CWJ-303A

No sales yet for the fall classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Do wired ps3 fightsticks need a home button to function?

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

In terms of stick talk, Markman from MadCatz also posted a new Korean-style stick coming soon on Shoryuken, which was supposedly shown at EVO but I must have missed it.

My stick uses the exact same joystick and buttons so I have to rep this for a second: I love this setup. I had an all-Japanese parts stick for years and I'm never ever going back.

Laugh has been repping these sticks for a while. He wrote about them for the madcatz website and sells them on his own site which is where I bought mine. MadKOF and Infiltration also use korean-style sticks, so they're not just for tekken players! I love mine and I mostly play KoF on it.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Not technically, but it'll be a huge pain in the rear end. Reassigning controller ports by holding home is a feature I use nearly constantly when playing fighting games.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

troofs posted:

My stick uses the exact same joystick and buttons so I have to rep this for a second: I love this setup. I had an all-Japanese parts stick for years and I'm never ever going back.

Laugh has been repping these sticks for a while. He wrote about them for the madcatz website and sells them on his own site which is where I bought mine. MadKOF and Infiltration also use korean-style sticks, so they're not just for tekken players! I love mine and I mostly play KoF on it.

How would you describe the difference between that stick and the "gold standard" JLF? i.e. in terms of deadzone, stick tension, etc.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jmcrofts posted:

Not technically, but it'll be a huge pain in the rear end. Reassigning controller ports by holding home is a feature I use nearly constantly when playing fighting games.

ok. This is on a divekick controller, so I'm just trying to figure out if I need to drill a few buttons in on the side. I actually play on pc but since its a ps3 (and eventually ps4) game and I'm using a cthulhu board I figured I'd make it compatible.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 12, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Not sure what you're trying to do, but the PS360+ lets you make start+select = home. That's what I use on my old stick I converted from PS2. You definitely want to have a home button on your stick in some capacity.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
PS360+ supports actual Home button functionality anyway, so if you're modding a PS3 or 360 stick you can have it work as normal.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Not sure what you're trying to do, but the PS360+ lets you make start+select = home. That's what I use on my old stick I converted from PS2. You definitely want to have a home button on your stick in some capacity.

Not only that, but it doesn't trigger unless you hold both buttons down for a bit, so you can still reset training mode by pressing them quickly.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Trykt posted:

Anybody else gonna be at The Fall Classic this weekend? I'm a Raleigh local that's super stoked to have a major literally down the street from where I work. I'm only entering SF4 (and the VF side tourney) but I'm hoping to be around everywhere cheering on other NC dudes. I'll be there on Friday for team stuff and I'm in Pool 2 for SF4 on Saturday

http://tfctournament.com/ssf4-aev2012/

All I have to do is destroy PR Balrog and I'm in top 32, hooray!

Some other NC names you may wanna watch for on streams (for SF4):

Shotty - sick Ryu player, was an online warrior until recently but is amazingly solid

Xaiah - Gen player, has been winning our local tournaments regularly for a long time (until Shotty showed up)

MX Mad! - best Fuerte

Lots of other NC names I recognize in pools (anyone with ReSe in their name is from Charlotte, those guys are all beast too), hoping to see us rep in top 32. Anyway root for me so I can win!

I was going to be there but a family emergency came up pretty much last minute and it doesn't look like I'll be able too anymore.

Also being dead serious here, DOA5U might just have the most thorough tutorial of any fighting game. I haven't checked out the Darkstalkers HD one yet which I hear is really good too.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Super Rad posted:

How would you describe the difference between that stick and the "gold standard" JLF? i.e. in terms of deadzone, stick tension, etc.

This is sort of a hard question to answer because it's very different and I'm definitely not the best stick reviewer out there but I'll give it a go:

The big differences IMO are the switches, the tension system, and the space you have to move the joystick before it hits the gate, which is called the "throw", apparently, according to google.

The switches are noticeably "thinner" (not sure if there's a real term for this) and by that I mean that you don't have to push them down as far in order to get an input. You don't get that "clicky" feeling when you activate one of the switches.

Korean sticks use a rubber ring tension system that makes the stick return to neutral faster. It feels like you'd think it might: sort of looser around the middle of the stick and stronger towards the edges. It's just enough for you to feel like there's a little resistance to your movements without feeling like you have to fight the stick to get it to go anywhere.

The throw on the stick is way wider than the JLF stick. There's at least twice as much room to move the joystick between the center and the edge of the gate. This part really takes some getting used to if you're used to Japanese sticks.

Overall: The huge throw makes it seem like the stick would be less precise when you have to do a motion quickly since you have to move further to hit the switches, but I've actually found the opposite. Because the switches are so precise and there's more room to move the stick around without hitting them, in addition to the way the tension works, I feel like doing really "big" motions is much much easier. If you're trying to do something really quickly on a JLF, you have to do it quickly but also in an extremely precise and controlled way or your inputs will slip. With the crown I feel like I can really jam an input in there without losing any precision. I feel way more confident about doing joystick movements as quickly as possible because I don't feel like I'll accidentally gently caress up my input 3% of the time or whatever. Even though it's a circle gate, I feel like I can really slam a direction without it slipping to the ones next to it.

Most importantly I just like the way it feels. Moving the joystick just feels better and I feel like I have more control over it. I feel like it lowers the barrier of execution of inputs without losing any precision over the outputs. It feels less cramped.

I definitely wouldn't recommend it to beginners, since the main benefit is that it lets you be a little more wild and that's probably the last thing you'd want when you're starting out. I would definitely recommend it to people like me who have spaz hands and feel like when the action starts to get a little fast and you absolutely need to have that double-half-circle come out RIGHT NOW, you end up superjumping or something instead just a little too often.

e: Oh also, motion commands feel like a dream on this thing because of the switches and the quicker return to neutral. Wavedashing is really easy, for example, which is why korean sticks were always considered so good for tekken.

troofs fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 12, 2013

sonictempest
Oct 16, 2012

Neo Helbeast posted:

Also being dead serious here, DOA5U might just have the most thorough tutorial of any fighting game. I haven't checked out the Darkstalkers HD one yet which I hear is really good too.

More thorough than Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution? That's still the gold standard for me.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

sonictempest posted:

More thorough than Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution? That's still the gold standard for me.

It's as thorough if not more than VF4:E. It's really well done.

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.
Here's what I'm pondering on modding:

Basically I really like the smaller form factor of these old sticks. I already need to fix the wiring on it to get it functional again, so I figure if I do that, may as well modernize the thing. Part of me thinks it's probably not worth it, but I really haven't found anything near that same form factor that's within my current price range, that isn't sold just to be modded anyways.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've seen people who have done parts/pcb mods of this ps1 stick:

Which is a very small stick relatively speaking. Might be bigger than the one you posted though.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

I have a hitbox with the ps360+ setup on my computer. I thimk it is switching between modes on me.

Does anyone know how to control this thing? Id like to keep it in 360mode if possible.

Sometimea ssf4 detects it as a xbox controller and sometimes a pd360

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

you switch modes by holding down start and select for over a second. , that switches it between PS3 and 360 mode.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Jmcrofts posted:

Which is a very small stick relatively speaking. Might be bigger than the one you posted though.

I have one of these with button issues that I've always been meaning to refurbish, as it was an awesome stick while it worked. Is it feasible to fit a PS360+ into one of these?

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.

Jmcrofts posted:

My thing is I won't have the kind of money to buy a real stick til at least the end of the year, so I'd want to use whatever I have lying around here. And although I've done soldering before, if I end up messing it up, then I'm not at a loss since it already doesn't work. And besides I do enjoy tinkering with things, provided I have the time to do it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

you switch modes by holding down start and select for over a second. , that switches it between PS3 and 360 mode.

Doesn't that just activate the home/guide button?

You can also set the mode by holding a specific button while plugging it in. I think 1P and 2P are 360 and PS3, though I might have that backwards.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Arrowsmith posted:

I have one of these with button issues that I've always been meaning to refurbish, as it was an awesome stick while it worked. Is it feasible to fit a PS360+ into one of these?

Yep. ps-14g buttons are almost identical to the originals (at least aesthetically). I also have a baggy of the old ones if you are looking for straight replacements (you'll have to solder the wires to them if you want to use them with a ps360 though)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

It's as thorough if not more than VF4:E. It's really well done.

Is it part of the F2P version?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Is it part of the F2P version?

Left is for Retail version, Right is for F2P, so it looks like it is.

Edit: If you like VF, DOA5 is the closest game out there to it. It plays a little sloppier, and the walk speed is ridiculous compared to VF5, but it's a lot of fun. The VF character feel in place in the game, but they still feel like Virtua Fighter, if that makes sense. (Pai seems a lot more OP in this though, but that's just my opinion)

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Is this out on 360 in Europe? Might give it a bash if it's F2P.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Is this out on 360 in Europe? Might give it a bash if it's F2P.

F2P on PS3 only. Only way to play on 360 is the retail version.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Hows the netcode?

DOA4 was shocking crap, whereas VF5 was always good to me in Europe.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Edit: If you like VF, DOA5 is the closest game out there to it.

It is, in the same way that if you like Go, Chutes and Ladders is the closest game out there to it.

WarpZealot
Nov 25, 2005
Yes, I've played Starcraft.
Hi dudes, I found some good deals on some controllers for the 360
MLG TE Stick 100$
Versus Controller 15$ (!!)

Do you guys know anything about that versus controller's PCB? Can I gut it and solder it up to my old T5 stick?

e: haha that versus controller looks like total rear end.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

WarpZealot posted:

Hi dudes, I found some good deals on some controllers for the 360
MLG TE Stick 100$
Versus Controller 15$ (!!)

Do you guys know anything about that versus controller's PCB? Can I gut it and solder it up to my old T5 stick?

e: haha that versus controller looks like total rear end.

All I know is that I own the PDP Pad and had to have it replaced because the stick was mis-aligned.

The replacement is still mis-aligned. The pad is terrible.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Reminder:

:siren::siren::siren:Today is the last day for the KoF13 Steam Beta:siren::siren::siren:

You can still buy it for reduced price! And then get pummeled. The netcode seems to have improved to "SF4-level within the same region" for most people, so it does seem like we're in "vastly improved" territory.

Buy a good game, folks.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Kof13 is the best fighting game to come out in the last half decade, buy it folks!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

interrodactyl posted:

Reminder:

:siren::siren::siren:Today is the last day for the KoF13 Steam Beta:siren::siren::siren:

You can still buy it for reduced price! And then get pummeled. The netcode seems to have improved to "SF4-level within the same region" for most people, so it does seem like we're in "vastly improved" territory.

Buy a good game, folks.

I bought it but beta players were too much for me, having never played KoF before. I'm hoping to ride the wave of bad players that come with a new steam release.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is the netcode seriously sf4-level now? sf4 netcode isn't great but it's playable, which is more than can be said for console KOF13. If that's really the case I'll probably pick it up, thanks for the tip!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Jmcrofts posted:

Is the netcode seriously sf4-level now? sf4 netcode isn't great but it's playable, which is more than can be said for console KOF13. If that's really the case I'll probably pick it up, thanks for the tip!

Yeah, it's leagues above what it ever was on consoles.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Jmcrofts posted:

It seemed really good to me, but I'm new to KoF and fighting games in general so maybe my eyes aren't trained enough to see significant input lag. I have a lot of fun getting beat up mercilessly in online matches nonetheless.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I kept hearing about so many inconsistencies with the netcode between different patches during the KoF13 beta. Did SNK magically hit a sweet spot when all's said and done? :psyduck:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
It's a sad state of affairs when SF4's netcode is considered acceptable. Stockholm Syndrome in action, folks!

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Speaking of which, maybe it's time KoF grew wings and migrated to its own thread instead of lounging around in the fighting game thread's basement eating all its frozen pizzas.

Does anyone have any plans to make one? I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough for it.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Speaking of which, maybe it's time KoF grew wings and migrated to its own thread instead of lounging around in the fighting game thread's basement eating all its frozen pizzas.

Does anyone have any plans to make one? I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough for it.

The link to the old one is still in the OP if someone wants to just copy that and add more info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

No one considers it acceptable, but its now sort of something that's fun to play online as opposed to nothing at all. Again, there aren't really any better new games so I don't think we have much choice.

• Locked thread