Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Maybe <Knights Who Say Ni>? I'm not really around populated leveling areas often enough right now to know for sure. That's the only straight up leveling guild I see on the first page of the guild subforum. There's a number of newer casual raiding guilds and what I'd call "family guilds" that you could check out, but I dunno if that's more of a commitment than you're looking for.

I'm more than happy to give you a UG invite in the mean time. I have no idea which old goons are active right now or if any of the new people from this summer are still playing, but we could potentially be at critical mass for goony green chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Finally got around to making a character. In as Chinggis the Dark Elf wizard, because I'm a masochist. Currently wandering aimlessly around the Neriak commons. I'd be more than happy to join the goon guild, even if it has very few members.

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
Forgive me father for I have sinned
Just made a cleric named Diadnab. Hmmm.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'll be around at various times today on Illtair - hit me up for some starting cash and a guild invite.

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
Forgive me father for I have sinned
I'd like to join the goon guild, too...at least I'd know someone, sort of.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

After a few weeks of trial I have determined that due to my horrible internet connection (and my unusual play times) I have little option but to play one of the "solo" classes. I've maintained my ritual with new MMOs of playing every class there is until about level 5 then deleting it to make a new character with the same name, and I've determined it's next to impossible to chase down fleeing mobs as a melee class thanks to lag.

I've been messing around with a shaman, but I've heard that's pretty brutal up until 24 when you get cannibalize. I also briefly played a necromancer and mage, but it really seemed like that "pet eats 50% of the xp if it does too much damage" is a massive pain in the rear end. Right now I'm thinking about just trying to do a druid, or maybe a pally/sk.

I've also been trying to hit up Flexing/Illtair whenever I'm on, but I've yet to see them on. Is the guild still Unknown Guild? I've been trying to do a /who all Unknown Guild but that's apparently not the right command.

Regardless, I'm still having fun on this server! The people are extremely cool and it seems to remain fairly populated at all times, which is awesome.

wrist deep in the dead
Feb 10, 2006

Having a ton of fun on here! - in as Shezz (Iksar Shaman)

Ran into lots of friendly higher levels around the starting area for buffs and the odd piece of gear, seems to be a super active server.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Glad to hear you're having fun. I've been on almost daily the last week or so - we must just be missing each other time-wise. I'll be on tonight after 9pm EST or so on Illtair or Berak if you want to try catching me then.

You will want to do / all 'unknown guild' if you want to look goons up by guild name rather than character name.

Druid is probably one of the better solo classes to play if your connection is iffy due to having snare/root, SOW, and heals to deal with a variety of lag situations. I'd say Mage or Necro are easier for killing stuff due to having the pet to tank and chase, but you do need to drop enough mana on nukes/DOTs to prevent your pet from stealing XP (think of it like playing a wizard but only needing to do 51% of the damage with nukes rather than 100%). Shaman starts slow but it pays off if you can stick with it. Pal/SK are going to have many of the same problems as any melee class on a bad connection in addition to leveling much more slowly due to their XP penalties, so I'd stay away.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Glad to hear you're having fun. I've been on almost daily the last week or so - we must just be missing each other time-wise. I'll be on tonight after 9pm EST or so on Illtair or Berak if you want to try catching me then.

You will want to do / all 'unknown guild' if you want to look goons up by guild name rather than character name.

Druid is probably one of the better solo classes to play if your connection is iffy due to having snare/root, SOW, and heals to deal with a variety of lag situations. I'd say Mage or Necro are easier for killing stuff due to having the pet to tank and chase, but you do need to drop enough mana on nukes/DOTs to prevent your pet from stealing XP (think of it like playing a wizard but only needing to do 51% of the damage with nukes rather than 100%). Shaman starts slow but it pays off if you can stick with it. Pal/SK are going to have many of the same problems as any melee class on a bad connection in addition to leveling much more slowly due to their XP penalties, so I'd stay away.

That must be it. I'm on the other side of the world from most people that play (I imagine) so I am typically at work when most of people are playing. I'll try and jump on around 10PM your time and try and snag an invite.

I like my Shaman, but it's definitely slow going right now. I really wanted to do a wizard, mostly because I kind of like to dick around while I'm leveling so the "kill, med, afk" thing sounds pretty good. I'm really not a huge fan of druids, but I may just end up doing that. I'll make a final decision before I get a guild invite. That way I'll be forced to use that character since he's in the guild!

Lairek
Jun 27, 2007

One day I shall be the king!
Hey, I just started this up today - having never played EQ at all. I´m on Branar (Barbarian Rogue) for the next couple of hours. Anyone about for a guild invite?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm on Illtair for the next hour or two, come and get your invites/freebies.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Shout out to aparmenideanmonad for hooking me up with some gear and mad scrilla. More goons need to jump back on P99 and get this guild up and running. I'm going to periodically update this thread with random posts to keep it on the front page so hopefully more people will see it.

And be sure to hit up Zogwort if you see me on!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Shout out to aparmenideanmonad for hooking me up with some gear and mad scrilla. More goons need to jump back on P99 and get this guild up and running. I'm going to periodically update this thread with random posts to keep it on the front page so hopefully more people will see it.

And be sure to hit up Zogwort if you see me on!

There's toons of goons who play - everyone is just already in other guilds. And burnt out. And then quit playing. Who will probably play again when Velious finally ever starts.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xZAOx posted:

There's toons of goons who play - everyone is just already in other guilds. And burnt out. And then quit playing. Who will probably play again when Velious finally ever starts.

I'm on that wagon. I want to come back, but tbqh it's gonna be difficult even when Velious releases because of TMO.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

iNteg posted:

I'm on that wagon. I want to come back, but tbqh it's gonna be difficult even when Velious releases because of TMO.

Are you still with us in BDA? I know Bugen joined us as I was stopping playing, didn't know if he stuck around either. I don't think Illtair was ever tagged.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xZAOx posted:

Are you still with us in BDA? I know Bugen joined us as I was stopping playing, didn't know if he stuck around either. I don't think Illtair was ever tagged.

I dunno, I know you reformed, and I came back for a week or so, but was disheartened playing again in the wake of more guild drama. I really need to get a toon to 60 lol.

IMO you and bugen and I, PL to 60 then roll in a group of three everywhere and destroy everything. Lol

iNteg fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 10, 2013

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

iNteg posted:

I dunno, I know you reformed, and I came back for a week or so, but was disheartened playing again in the wake of more guild drama. I really need to get a toon to 60 lol.

IMO you and bugen and I, PL to 60 then roll in a group of three everywhere and destroy everything. Lol

Yeah, we went through some identity crisis after the VD merge, but things are chill right now. Due to just ten loving tons of apps flooding us constantly, we've upped trial requirements to getting some resist gear together and like a WC port hat (that people in the guild will basically give you). The turnover on this server is the worst. But mostly it's just Skyday Fridays, farming juggs during Trak window, planar clears during god windows, etc. Much more how we should be. People still do some tracking here and there, but it's just when they feel like it or whatever, where at one point, before FE split off, we were getting too much on the "someone needs to be tracking everything all the time" bandwagon.

Not that I play, but I keep up to date with the guild happenings. BDA is my P99 home, and I don't see it ever changing.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xZAOx posted:

:words: Skyday Friday

Skyday Friday is the most painful thing ever. Haha

It's really hard to want to do that zone because I would spend hours in there farming spiroc lords.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
No way! Skyday Friday was always the most fun I had.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xZAOx posted:

No way! Skyday Friday was always the most fun I had.

I can totally get down with some sky, but not every week, and I don't even have the shoulders or belt from there! Lol

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010
Ok I'm in. Started a troll Shaman.

Anyone giving invites?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm happy to hook you up if we can get online at the same time. It's helpful to know your character's name so I can look for you though.

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010
Oh yeah sorry that would be helpful :p

Sipangzi

I am on China time, I think it should be 12 hours from US east coast.

I'm thinking of jumping back on in a bit, when are you generally on?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm actually on right now on Berak if you want to hop on for an invite.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

DaiJiaTeng posted:

Oh yeah sorry that would be helpful :p

Sipangzi

I am on China time, I think it should be 12 hours from US east coast.

I'm thinking of jumping back on in a bit, when are you generally on?

Hey man, I'm actually on Hong Kong time myself. I have a Troll Shaman, but with my connection it's looking more and more like I may be forced to play a mage or necro, so I'm still messing around. I'll add you and we can try and group sometime.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
What are good solo classes? I don't really have stable times where I can just sit down for several hours with a group but I feel that with a solo class I can just get on and off whenever I choose without being a burden to anyone.

I'm thinking of Mage as a good solo.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

xZAOx posted:

Yeah, we went through some identity crisis after the VD merge, but things are chill right now. Due to just ten loving tons of apps flooding us constantly, we've upped trial requirements to getting some resist gear together and like a WC port hat (that people in the guild will basically give you). The turnover on this server is the worst. But mostly it's just Skyday Fridays, farming juggs during Trak window, planar clears during god windows, etc. Much more how we should be. People still do some tracking here and there, but it's just when they feel like it or whatever, where at one point, before FE split off, we were getting too much on the "someone needs to be tracking everything all the time" bandwagon.

Not that I play, but I keep up to date with the guild happenings. BDA is my P99 home, and I don't see it ever changing.

I'm just glad FE is getting back on its feet after a rough couple of months. We're starting to get Trakanon again (just did last night, in fact!) and have been getting a nice amount of good apps lately. I'm very glad I went this route instead of TMO as we've really had to fight for all our kills/ place on the server, rather than just join the zerg-to-win (though we have definitely zerged things in the past. It's pretty drat successful on this server). Oh, and never become an officer of a raiding guild. It's not very much fun.

I would suggest anyone looking for a real challenge to roll a paly or SK and grind them up. I've played warriors to tank dragons/ VS and they're just not as fun. Being able to cast spells adds a heck of a lot to the game while you're meleeing stuff in a group setting (plus it makes you an absolute aggro machine.) If I could go back and make a ogre warrior instead of my high-elf paladin, no way I would. Playing a paly is an absolute blast (and we get some nifty things in Velious, if it ever decides to come.)

Any newer players send a tell to Corova, Corovad, or Corbankva (I'm clever) and I can probably toss you some bits of gear. I'd toss you plat, but, well, I'm poor as heck at the moment.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Dizz posted:

What are good solo classes? I don't really have stable times where I can just sit down for several hours with a group but I feel that with a solo class I can just get on and off whenever I choose without being a burden to anyone.

I'm thinking of Mage as a good solo.

Mages are excellent soloers as soon as they hit level 4. They have the strongest summoned pets, the strongest damage shields, the second strongest single target nukes, and some extremely useful summoned items (food/water, bandages, weapons, pet haste items, various clicky items, and mod rods). Their biggest drawback is zero crowd control or mob splitting abilities aside from siccing their pet on stuff - no root, snare, lull, etc. which means that they can't solo as easily in crowded areas with lots of multiple mob pulls unless their pet is beefy enough to tank several mobs at once (sometimes this works just fine). You tend to burn through single mobs quite quickly, with most of your downtime coming from medding up for nuke mana to do 51%+ damage so that your pet doesn't steal your XP. If you ever find another pet class to group with you can do amazing things since you can just let your pets do all the work. Groups of mages/other pet casters can kill poo poo that large normally composed groups have a hard time with because chain casting pets is ridiculously damage/healing efficient. Epic mages are insane when it comes to this stuff.

Necros are more versatile soloers with root, snare, fear, FD, lifetaps, invuln, mana regen, and special undead toys including charm, but they have weaker pets, nukes (strong DOTs instead), and damage shields. They typically take longer to kill things than mages but have less downtime, and can also do some pretty awesome enchanter style things when there's undead mobs around to charm.

Enchanters are also very good soloers...if you charm. Charming a mob, buffing and hasting it, and maybe giving it weapons so it quads gives you obscene damage output. When it works, you can solo areas that no other class can handle because you have an amazing pet tank with sick damage + your ability to split and CC everything. This isn't feasible until mid+ levels and it requires paying tons of attention to what you're doing. You can't walk away from your PC when you have something charmed that could kill you in 3 combat rounds.

Shaman eventually become amazing soloers but they're mediocre for quite some time. Once you get a decent pet and cannibalize you can do alright, but you don't really shine until you hit 60 and get torpor, which combined with canni gives you practically infinite health and mana.

Wizards and Druids are both solid solo classes with druids being more versatile, but their main benefit comes from being able to go wherever the gently caress you want at the drop of a hat. Both classes can quad kite and root'n'nuke. Druids can also charm animals and root rot. They have much more medding downtime than the pet classes, but wizards especially tend to kill things quickly. Good classes if you like to AFK a lot without losing much efficiency.

Melee classes and clerics can solo, but not nearly as well as the above classes (though twinked melee classes, especially monks and SKs are pretty drat good soloers). (EDIT) Bards can be awesome soloers but you have to swarm kite which is tricky to learn how to do and impossible for some given bad computers/connections.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 10, 2013

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Hey man, I'm actually on Hong Kong time myself. I have a Troll Shaman, but with my connection it's looking more and more like I may be forced to play a mage or necro, so I'm still messing around. I'll add you and we can try and group sometime.

Sounds good. Would be nice to have some people to group with.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
Anyone know what the likelihood of account recovery due to lost login/password is? I seem to recall it being nigh impossible with Rogean...but figured it'd be worth asking just in case. Got the itch to hop back on Ivvl in all of his vanilla Planar glory.

If that doesn't work...who's got incredibly beautiful twink items to throw away? :D

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
Just submitted my app for BDA - fingers crossed.

edit:

I believe if you have the eqemu login associated with the account you can get a reset.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

gepgepgep posted:

Anyone know what the likelihood of account recovery due to lost login/password is? I seem to recall it being nigh impossible with Rogean...but figured it'd be worth asking just in case. Got the itch to hop back on Ivvl in all of his vanilla Planar glory.

If that doesn't work...who's got incredibly beautiful twink items to throw away? :D

http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=LoginInformationRecovery

Do you still remember your eqemulator.org account info? If not, there's an automated system for recovering that info assuming you still have access to the email address that you used to sign up the account.

Once you get that, you can log on to your account there to see the your loginserver account names. Maybe you can just guess or remember the the password if you get that far. Rogean is the only one who can mess with loginserver accounts and passwords and he typically doesn't do it because of the risk involved. They were messing around with an SMS system for recovering info but it hasn't been implemented yet.

I hope you can get it working though, it would be nice to see Ivvl back in game!

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010
Where are you goons?

I needs me some green chat.

It gets so lonely in the swamps killing frogloks with no one to talk to...

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Sirken twitch stream highlights from tonight:

Team PVP Server in the works for the distant future (post velious blue release)
Current PVP Server getting a bunch of fixes
Necro lifetaps getting fixed next patch (resists were gimped to prevent Ivandyr Hoop spam killing raid mobs)
DOTs getting fixed (don't really know what's wrong with them at the moment)
Bearskin Potion Bag issues getting fixed next patch (10 dose potion combines have been hosed)
Velious on blue by the end of the year. They may be late but that's the plan.
They're doing daily work on it and making progress. Most of what's left to do is pathing and researching faction/quest details.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Coming back after not having played in a year, I'm pretty much bumming around relearning the ropes and whatnot. Add me in-game, my name is Jonky (52 druid - I'll port you around and buff you up in crushbone or some poo poo).

I'm currently in Peace Pipe, there was a resurgence in numbers last time I played (had a few goons as well) but now there's nobody around. Aparmenideanmonad, are you giving a home to wayward goons? Shoot me an invite sometime, I added your two characters you mentioned.

I too would like to see some green chat and help some dudes get rolling.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
No problem sir. Having a highish level druid around would be great for the new folks if you're willing to help out. I've invited 6 new goons and one restarting old timer so far this week so Unknown Guild is no longer my personal online fortress of solitude. I will try to get in touch with Syn to get the leader tag back so I can make more officers with invite powers.

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010
Woo!

Just wondering, if we make pubbie friends can we recommend them for invite or are we strictly Goons only?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
My policy has always been to make everyone an officer so we can all indulge in goony antics such as inviting random pubbies, fight over the guild message of the day, guildremove each other's alts, and conduct guild diplomacy at will. Once I get the leader tag back I will make this happen again. Until then, if you've already found someone special that you want in your EQ life just bug me when I'm on and I will officiate their entry into our hallowed ranks.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Ah... Scars of Velious, my love, second only to Ruins of Kunark. I hope drama doesn't gently caress it up. What a wonderful expansion, and a remembrance to a wonderful time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Node posted:

Ah... Scars of Velious, my love, second only to Ruins of Kunark. I hope drama doesn't gently caress it up. What a wonderful expansion, and a remembrance to a wonderful time.
Haha, drama free Velious... have fun in Kael and NToV!

As I remember it, a good place to be in the Velious era was sort of a 3rd position guild. No racing for Tormax, Yelinak, Dain, NToV, or SoRZ/AOW, but you could go crazy in all of Kunark, along with PoG, Vindicator, east and west ToV, WW dragons, velk's lab, and perhaps get lucky with Zlandicar and more. Tons and tons of quests with good rewards too, like shawl, dain ring, bracer of benevolence, etc. Awesome expansion indeed.

• Locked thread