Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If his build is right, he could probably do it.

Frenzy + hatred + best thunderhammer + size + all out attack could well see his to hit go over 100, furious assault would get him a second hit at the same target number to put down 4d10+8+4*SB damage.

If he really wanted it - and had the talent - he could burn a fate point on Wrath of the Righteous to get one of those attacks to maximised damage + RF. Should be well over 30, pen 10 from the first attack, call it 15 damage after toughness etc. Do the same with the second and that should shake even a warboss. Hell, he might even get one of the fate points back for dumb heroism.

goatface fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Pharmaskittle posted:

:stare: Uhhh yeah, I dueled a warboss with my melee focused RT captain and barely survived it, I can't imagine what a shitshow this is going to be with that armor. PowerKlaws are nightmarish enough by themselves.

The best thing about the Power Klaw is that you can dual wield with it.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

goatface posted:

If his build is right, he could probably do it.

Frenzy + hatred + best thunderhammer + size + all out attack could well see his to hit go over 100, furious assault would get him a second hit at the same target number to put down 4d10+8+4*SB damage.

If he really wanted it - and had the talent - he could burn a fate point on Wrath of the Righteous to get one of those attacks to maximised damage + RF. Should be well over 30, pen 10 from the first attack, call it 15 damage after toughness etc. Do the same with the second and that should shake even a warboss. Hell, he might even get one of the fate points back for dumb heroism.

That's pretty much exactly how the Missionary beat the Warboss last time, the only problem is that the Warboss might have a reaction for that combo - if he dodges or parries the first attack, the Missionary is probably going to end up as a small red smear on the floor. Hopefully the Warboss has not taken any parry-capable weapons on his MegaArmour... He is dangerously smart for an Ork, he's a Blood Axe of all things.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Is it just my group or do most of anyone else's players seem to favor shooting over melee? Only one of my group has a WS that doesn't make melee basically a non-option (our Weirdboy) and despite my best warnings that it will haunt them later, no one seems to give a poo poo about toughness. I don't want to intentionally kill them off, but trying to design encounters that are basically 'hordes of low BS enemies with poo poo weapons' is not very interesting, and I can't imagine they're very fun to play, either.

Also: space encounters. They're one of the few things that I find 'fun' to GM because everything seems to be on a much more 'level' scale. However, my players just seem bad at it, not fully understanding attempting to keep enemies at range or how to best angle themselves for fire arcs. So while it would be fun to have interesting space encounters, with enemies trying to close to variable ranges, I just think they would get annoyed. :smith:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Doug Lombardi posted:

As the GM in Only War, you are totally free to destroy, steal, or simply confiscate any items the PCs have that isn't part of their Standard Kit. I don't know what I'd do if I hadn't been doing that all game though.

Yeah there was a great solution to this someone posted earlier that was basically "work to keep their sweet-rear end gear."

Don't just arbitrarily take it away, give them a heads-up that a new commisar's coming in and scuttlebutt is he's a hardass for the rules looking to make an impression. Suddenly the quartermaster who's been happily taking bribes to ship your gear from place to place is a lot more reluctant to break the regulations. So now what do you do? Maybe you can only keep some of it. maybe you take a risk trying to get it all through. Maybe you find another quartermaster. Maybe you try to get yourself appointed quartermaster.

"Troops finding inventive ways to move all the stuff they stole/acquired from battlefield to battlefield" is something that's been around since the dawn of warfare, just remember that in most warzones people will turn a blind eye to it but you're going to be shipped with your backpack and whatever you can personally carry, anything bulkier than that goes in the baggage train.

Benagain fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 11, 2013

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Is it just my group or do most of anyone else's players seem to favor shooting over melee? Only one of my group has a WS that doesn't make melee basically a non-option (our Weirdboy) and despite my best warnings that it will haunt them later, no one seems to give a poo poo about toughness. I don't want to intentionally kill them off, but trying to design encounters that are basically 'hordes of low BS enemies with poo poo weapons' is not very interesting, and I can't imagine they're very fun to play, either.
My players used to be entirely ranged-focused except for one of them. Then they found out they can kill fuckers dead if they whip out their power sword and get in charge range of someone with a gun. I've always gone with reasonably strong enemies (soldier dudes have had a BS around 40) so sometimes the players have found themselves outgunned and had to look for other options. I don't understand why your players focusing on ranged combat would cause you to design your encounters with hordes of bad enemies? I don't like that either, it just becomes a question of time before the players grind them down.

Might be unrelated but something that definitely changed our combat experience is that we agreed on a house rule where toughness doesn't remove any damage but instead gives you some extra wounds. One less thing you need to count in combat plus it's faster and more dangerous and you really wanna think about positioning.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Elukka posted:

My players used to be entirely ranged-focused except for one of them. Then they found out they can kill fuckers dead if they whip out their power sword and get in charge range of someone with a gun. I've always gone with reasonably strong enemies (soldier dudes have had a BS around 40) so sometimes the players have found themselves outgunned and had to look for other options. I don't understand why your players focusing on ranged combat would cause you to design your encounters with hordes of bad enemies? I don't like that either, it just becomes a question of time before the players grind them down.

Might be unrelated but something that definitely changed our combat experience is that we agreed on a house rule where toughness doesn't remove any damage but instead gives you some extra wounds. One less thing you need to count in combat plus it's faster and more dangerous and you really wanna think about positioning.

Because of their lovely toughness (we play toughness like normal), any 'good' enemies (decent T/Wounds, and a decent WS/BS) are basically going to win out unless they somehow burst down the enemy immediately. I'm pretty tempted to just say gently caress it and let them die and tell them not to make gigantic fops who are only good at shooting and not at getting shot.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Have less, better enemies. If the players don't deal, let them lose. Consider who the enemies are and why. Give them some goal other than "kill the party". Then they can win without it being a game over for the players.
I think it's not really a problem as such that they make weak characters. They may find out in practice it's an issue and they need a solution. One of my players in her first combat ate a bolt and had 3 wounds left. Next time she made good use of cover, popped heads and set friendlies on fire (:haw:) with an inferno pistol and came out unscathed. Probably made a mental note to get better armor too. She didn't have to die to learn to be better at being shot at.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Speaking of solutions to problems with dying, last session kinda got me worried for my Genetor. One hit from one of the enemies of the encounter took her to -7, and I'm sort of unsure how to start improving her besides buying more hitpoints, especially since my eventual goal for that character is to get a Xenos Chitin Armour which is not at all better than her current armor (which is still Light Enforcer Armor). She has a Conversion Field so that saves her 50% of the time, but she has horrible BS and has been built as a melee character - and her role has kind of been taken over by our Missionary and other Explorator, both of whom are more tanky even if my character could potentially do absolutely horrendous damage if she ever gets like a Power Fist or something.

Anybody have any ideas what to get besides "throw your dice better" or "buy more wounds" (which I'm goign to do regardless)? The character is at Rank 4, soon at 5, and I'm unlikely to improve my armor much due to the goal of Xenos Chitin Armour - kinda pointless to get better stuff when I want that. Plus both me and DM agreed that my Genetor can't take Flesh Is Weak both due to her Genetor-mentality and because the genes she's put inside of her would not mesh well with any extra mechanical stuff. She also has a good toughness bonus of 5, soon to be 6 as soon as I can afford to use 500 xp on just a stat upgrade, Iron Grit taken as an Elite Advance and Regen+ both Sanguines (so if she survives a fight she's immediately back to full essentially) and a Mordian power sword for +15 to parrying. Or instead of getting better gear/using XP more smartly should I just switch my tactics and let the more heavily armored characters take the initial hits and then go in when they are already established as a threat? She has a mediocre BS, but a good gun (Hellgun with some modifications) so she can be fire support for a round or two, even if she's unlikely to do much more than cause some noise.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Tech-Priest is missing 7-8 points of armor and lots of wounds, gets mangled horribly

Missing out on The Flesh is Weak and opting out on the heavier armors, on top of forgoing wounds, is a great way to die as an Explorator. Their big thing is that they get super tanky, to the point where weapons meant for killing people aren't sufficient for the job. If you're going to be in melee, you have to be able to take a hit or dodge/parry so well and often that it doesn't matter that you're fragile. Since this character is being disallowed The Flesh is Weak, find some other talents that they don't normally have access to and make them available.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Because of their lovely toughness (we play toughness like normal), any 'good' enemies (decent T/Wounds, and a decent WS/BS) are basically going to win out unless they somehow burst down the enemy immediately. I'm pretty tempted to just say gently caress it and let them die and tell them not to make gigantic fops who are only good at shooting and not at getting shot.

Why is there an issue with how strong their characters are? Whats the problem with the players running around with a pack of their ship's naval troopers? Rogue Trader is one of the games where being combat focused doesn't really help you too much and being weak in combat is not a big deal. Where are the players spending their xp? Maybe they just really like non-combat stuff and want lots more of that?

kingcom fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 12, 2013

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

apostateCourier posted:

find some other talents that they don't normally have access to and make them available.

...You know I was asking suggestions for what I should get? I know she isn't as tanky as your average Explorator due to not having Flesh is Weak, that's old news - I was asking for help to either work around or rectify that without going the heavy armour route. Beyond increasing her wound count from 12 to higher levels to survive that first nasty hit I'm not sure what to do with her, and I'm not a min-maxer to be honest so I'm not even sure what to look for besides better Force Fields than the Conversion Field that's already decent enough -and all the better ones tend to be Near Unique or Unique so finding them is really goddamn hard. My DM is allowing me to do highly illegal and heretical biological creations so I should probably use those as personal meat shields and attention grabbers, but you can't bring those in to every fight (especially on Imperial worlds). Plus it takes time to make a good one.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

SpiritOfLenin posted:

...You know I was asking suggestions for what I should get? I know she isn't as tanky as your average Explorator due to not having Flesh is Weak, that's old news - I was asking for help to either work around or rectify that without going the heavy armour route. Beyond increasing her wound count from 12 to higher levels to survive that first nasty hit I'm not sure what to do with her, and I'm not a min-maxer to be honest so I'm not even sure what to look for besides better Force Fields than the Conversion Field that's already decent enough -and all the better ones tend to be Near Unique or Unique so finding them is really goddamn hard. My DM is allowing me to do highly illegal and heretical biological creations so I should probably use those as personal meat shields and attention grabbers, but you can't bring those in to every fight (especially on Imperial worlds). Plus it takes time to make a good one.

Why cant you try and avoid combat next time? Or bring along a bunch of troopers with you?

kingcom fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Sep 12, 2013

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

We can't avoid combat all the time. Plus it'd feel stupid to not participate in a fight while the rest fought. I'm going to start letting our tankier dudes go in first, but I'm not gonna stop going into melee completely, WS is 49 while BS is 31 or something (don't have the sheet with me atm). We usually only manage to bring troops in when we know there's going to be a big fight, like when we assault known enemy positions, but that's not how it works very often. We even had troops around in our last big fight, unfortunately heavy stubbers don't do poo poo to Chaos Space Marines.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Benagain posted:

"Troops finding inventive ways to move all the stuff they stole/acquired from battlefield to battlefield" is something that's been around since the dawn of warfare, just remember that in most warzones people will turn a blind eye to it but you're going to be shipped with your backpack and whatever you can personally carry, anything bulkier than that goes in the baggage train.

If you are playing Only War and don't try to enlist your pet animal so that he can travel with you, then you are doing something wrong.

Seriously, that whole story is basically the best possible template for how to run a squad.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Have you taken any Machine of Flesh upgrades yet? Tough Hide (2 natural armour), Brute (Strength and Toughness +10) and Feels no Pain (+5 wounds, Iron Jaw) would seem like the obvious choices to improve survivability.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

True Grit is one of the better talents in the game, and yeah 12 wounds is crazy low for someone who wants to be in melee. Tbh if you meet the RAW prerequisites for Flesh Is Weak (some number of cybernetic parts I think), you should really be allowed to take what might be the best talent in the game and half the reason for playing a tech priest in the first place.

ed:vvv oh, huh! I guess not

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 12, 2013

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

You can reskin Flesh Is Weak as hyper-engineered damage resistant organs or something as well, if it's only a Genetor fluff thing getting in the way there's no reason to miss out on the mechanic impacts of it.

edit: http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/43061-genetor-the-flesh-is-weak/ Though it seems that perhaps it's unintended that you have access to it?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
The Flesh Is Weak is a bit unfluffy for genetors, but Machine of Flesh makes up for it quite decently, and being a genetor doesn't mean you can't still get cybernetics. Subskin armour is nice, and wouldn't be too hard to explain in a way that would fit a genetor. Maybe you grow thick bone or chitin plates instead of inserting ceramite ones.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Has anyone had a look at The Emperor's Chosen (that new Deathwatch supplement) yet? Any good?

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

goatface posted:

Have you taken any Machine of Flesh upgrades yet? Tough Hide (2 natural armour), Brute (Strength and Toughness +10) and Feels no Pain (+5 wounds, Iron Jaw) would seem like the obvious choices to improve survivability.

I've already gotten all three Machine of Flesh upgrades - and an extra one actually, since me and the DM agreed that a Machinator Array wouldn't really fit the character so I could take another one. I only have Brute out of those, and Regen, Fanged and Venomous - the Regeneration was the one that took over Machinator Array. Because of the fact that the Regen comes from a really unorthodox source (the Genetor took part in secret Inquisition tests with Tyranid genematter which did wonders for her sanity) I can probably get both Tough Hide and Feels No Pain through that as Elite Advances, I just have to take critical damage first - that's how I got True Grit, got badly wounded, DM let me use an Elite Advance for True Grit and my leg healed in alien ways. I can probably get Subskin armour as an organic variant if I just find someone willing to help me put implants into me, that's probably the easiest one to get - might even be able to just get a permission from the DM to grow a chitin version as a personal project, with consequences if found out of course. Just need to find a willing helper if I have to go the implant route, something like an equally insane Genetor or a Dark Eldar Haemonculus, something I'm looking for anyway. Or just ask the other Explorator on the ship that's a loving nutcase and an actual heretic, but I'm not sure I trust the mostly mechanical madwoman whose stuffed heretical psychic artifacts into herself. Oh and of course she has her sister's brain stuck inside of her body too because why not.

Then again last session might have made my point sorta moot since a new player joined the group and he's playing an Ork Weirdboy with a small army of minders, difficult to get in melee when a small mob of Orks, a Power Armoured Missionary and a heavily armored Psyker-Explorator are getting in the way. And they are all tankier than me. :( Just they wait when we one day face a situation where our weapons get taken away and I still have my fangs, that's when my time comes to shine. Or whenever we deal with any Xenos stuff since I can throw Forbidden Lore Xenos tests with a pool of 72, 82 if I'm willing to take a point of insanity thanks to Vile Insight. Or when they get hit and I use Medicae with a pool of over 100. Guess I'll just not go against the boss characters and focus on their minions instead if possible, running out of the fight to go lick my wounds behind some cover whenever I get hurt - my ridiculous Medicae, Autosanguine and Regeneration mean that I can heal up pretty fast, and if other people get too badly injured to be effective and the combat continues I can just keep on truckin'. Just can't be part of the hardest frontline, which is kinda OK by now since there's almost always going to be two tankier characters there, potentially even three if everyone makes it to a session. Just gotta keep lobbing my status effect grenades and provide covering fire with my Hellgun.

SpiritOfLenin fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 13, 2013

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

-
edit: quote is not edit argh

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
What do jump packs do in-game exactly? What does 'flyer (12)' mean? I guess it's how far you can move, but as a half action or full action or what?

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

What do jump packs do in-game exactly? What does 'flyer (12)' mean? I guess it's how far you can move, but as a half action or full action or what?

Flyer (12) means that instead of using your normal agility bonus when determining movement rates, you instead use the number inside the parenthesis, in this case 12. So, your half move would be 12 meters, full 24, charge 36, and run 72. You have to use a move action of any kind each turn to maintain your flight.

Jump Packs, at least in Black Crusade, can also be used to double your normal movement without flying in the air. So if you had an agility bonus of 4, your charge would normally cover 12 meters, but a jump pack would increase it to 24 meters. You also are able to safely fall from any distance without taking fall damage.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
The guys in my OW game are already aware, but the regiment who got its start as a labor uprising recently lost their equipment due to massive theft/clusterfuck and now has to obtain it through a Rogue Trader (mostly so I could use RT's acquisition system instead of OW's). The players start with 5 acquisition (equivalent to a hive gang) and the way to raise it is going to be committing Payday 2/Kane & Lynch style robberies of "targets of opportunity" during their regular missions (Bring back this guy's hovercar intact, get +2 acquisition. Knock over the bank owned by a relative of a hostile RT dynasty while fighting your way down the street, +1 acquisition and a one use +10 bonus on a single acquisition test, etc).

The best part is the Commissar is already trying to rationalize robbing Imperial citizens at gunpoint, mostly due to the fact a Warrant of Trade is basically "I can do whatever I want unless the Inquisition catches me". The regiment already has enemy (nobility), and the planetary governor is such a piece of poo poo the Commissar is plotting how to execute him while remaining within his authority so this should spiral nicely into a shitshow :zpatriot:

Also, I overrecruited since I thought I'd suffer the usual high attrition rate of players most pbp games have...so I took on 16 PCs...and 14 of them are still in the game, so, including the NPC comrades, I'm running a platoon sized element in firefights. With a map. :suicide: Thank gently caress for the mook/horde-lite Formation rules in Enemies of the Imperium.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 14, 2013

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
I can't imagine a circumstance in which a Commissar respects the property rights of any Imperial Citizen in the first place.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!
Oddly enough, the Xenos Hide Armor in Black Crusade provides more Armor than Xenos Chitin and isn't nearly as rare. The Chitin is more of a research material anyhow...

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
How do you use the Defiant-class light cruiser (from Battlefleet Koronus) in combat? Its thing is a big old lance battery on the prow and two hangars. I made it a typical Navy ship so it's got the Voidsunder Lance apparently designed for it. As a single lance is very unlikely to get through the piddliest of void shields I figured I'm supposed to use its bombers to soften up the target first, but turns out bombers go straight through shields... and as I understand don't strip them either. So is the ship's own armament useless outside the unlikely cases it rolls three degrees of success for a second hit or the bombers manage to hit the shield generator? Is it totally screwed when operating on its own? It's odd to me it has a weapons fit that seems to lack any synergy.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I'd probably go with a macro-weapon battery in the prow slot on a Defiant. The heavy forward lance thing is more for the Dauntless class.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Elukka posted:

How do you use the Defiant-class light cruiser (from Battlefleet Koronus) in combat? Its thing is a big old lance battery on the prow and two hangars. I made it a typical Navy ship so it's got the Voidsunder Lance apparently designed for it. As a single lance is very unlikely to get through the piddliest of void shields I figured I'm supposed to use its bombers to soften up the target first, but turns out bombers go straight through shields... and as I understand don't strip them either. So is the ship's own armament useless outside the unlikely cases it rolls three degrees of success for a second hit or the bombers manage to hit the shield generator? Is it totally screwed when operating on its own? It's odd to me it has a weapons fit that seems to lack any synergy.
The ship description does say it's rarely utilised on its own because of how vulnerable that leaves it. In theory it relies on frigate escorts to take down the target's shields- but given shields work per turn rather than per round in RT that's not actually possible.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

Oddly enough, the Xenos Hide Armor in Black Crusade provides more Armor than Xenos Chitin and isn't nearly as rare. The Chitin is more of a research material anyhow...

But is it made from Tyranid stuff? (If it is I'm going to have to try to persuade my DM to use its stats if I one day find a suit of Xenos Chitin/do insane things to grow it).

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Doug Lombardi posted:

I can't imagine a circumstance in which a Commissar respects the property rights of any Imperial Citizen in the first place.

Excuse me but Commissar Cuddles has the utmost respect for imperial law and would never rob anybody unless the person asking him to do so has the proper documents authorising it. :colbert:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ronwayne posted:

The guys in my OW game are already aware, but the regiment who got its start as a labor uprising recently lost their equipment due to massive theft/clusterfuck and now has to obtain it through a Rogue Trader (mostly so I could use RT's acquisition system instead of OW's). The players start with 5 acquisition (equivalent to a hive gang) and the way to raise it is going to be committing Payday 2/Kane & Lynch style robberies of "targets of opportunity" during their regular missions (Bring back this guy's hovercar intact, get +2 acquisition. Knock over the bank owned by a relative of a hostile RT dynasty while fighting your way down the street, +1 acquisition and a one use +10 bonus on a single acquisition test, etc).

If at some point you need them to stop giving a gently caress about the normal rules of behaviour, you can have the Rogue Trader acquire them. It's a canonical thing that RT's can pick up whole divisions of Imperial Guard while spreading the good word and then just "forget" to give them back, and as long as they have a reasonable rep with the IG they could probably pick up a small unit by sending a memo to the theatre commander.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I'm a little confused with lance rules. Rulebook says the strength stat relates only to macrobatteries - lances instead simply score an extra hit for every three degrees of success, strength is not mentioned as a factor. But then we've got both strength 1 and strength 2 lances. How does that work when strength isn't said to do anything when it comes to lances?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Elukka posted:

I'm a little confused with lance rules. Rulebook says the strength stat relates only to macrobatteries - lances instead simply score an extra hit for every three degrees of success, strength is not mentioned as a factor. But then we've got both strength 1 and strength 2 lances. How does that work when strength isn't said to do anything when it comes to lances?

The 'no extra hits' thing is simply an abstract way for the 'strength 1' to be explained; Titanforge Lance Batteries (for example) have S2 and will resolve their second hits as normal.

Elukka posted:

If you get lucky and roll a 2 on the Crit table you can damage their Void Shields, I guess. The Defiant is kind of weird because it's good at avoiding layers of protection (Bombers go through Voids and Lances ignore armor) but has no real way to set up that synergy barring good die rolls.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 14, 2013

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Okay, so just to make sure I've got it right: Any lance will score an additional hit every three degrees of success. This rule ignores strength. A strength 2 lance will score one extra hit for the first degree of success just as a macrobattery would. I assume it will then continue to gain extra hits every further three degrees of success as per the lance rules.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Elukka posted:

Okay, so just to make sure I've got it right: Any lance will score an additional hit every three degrees of success. This rule ignores strength. A strength 2 lance will score one extra hit for the first degree of success just as a macrobattery would. I assume it will then continue to gain extra hits every further three degrees of success as per the lance rules.

As I understand it, here's how it would work.

Gun-shooterman First Class John Spaceman has a BS of 60. The ship he is on, the Hispaniolatron 4000, has components that give +20 to BS. Firing at his opponents with the ship's Titanforge Lance Battery, at normal range and no other negative modifiers to his BS, he rolls a 27.
He has scored a hit. (27)
He has scored a second hit (the TLB's S2) for his first degree of success. (27+10)
His primary shot has scored a second 'hit' for his third degree of success. (27+30)
His second shot, however, has not scored a second hit, as he would need a sixth degree of success and he only has five. (27+60)

This is how I understand it.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

As I understand it, here's how it would work.

Gun-shooterman First Class John Spaceman has a BS of 60. The ship he is on, the Hispaniolatron 4000, has components that give +20 to BS. Firing at his opponents with the ship's Titanforge Lance Battery, at normal range and no other negative modifiers to his BS, he rolls a 27.
He has scored a hit. (27)
He has scored a second hit (the TLB's S2) for his first degree of success. (27+10)
His primary shot has scored a second 'hit' for his third degree of success. (27+30)
His second shot, however, has not scored a second hit, as he would need a sixth degree of success and he only has five. (27+60)

This is how I understand it.
I'm pretty sure Lances are supposed to just score 1 extra hit per 3 DoS rather than per 1 like macrocannon.

It's all a bit of a mess because they've tried to add a distinction that each lance hit should be considered separately rather than all of them added together like macrobatteries, even though that actually has no effect because they ignore armour anyway. It looks a lot like they rewrote that section repeatedly and ended up with a mess of barely comprehensible stuff.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
It's surprising nothing on this has made it into the errata. You could interpret it either way. I'm gonna change my question to which way is the most balanced and works best. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
That depends on the craft your group is using and what they're fighting. Anything heavier than a light cruiser doesn't really need the ability to resolve a lot of hits with a lance.