Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Went to high school with a guy named Justin Mike Hunt.

Had a CPR instructor named Matt Man(n?).

Played D&D with a guy named Justin Time (might have been Tyme, never saw it spelled).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Encountered a fantastic last name today:

Riddlesperger.

That's like cryptonazi for the internet age, that.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
My middle name is Marava- Margarette (pronounced Marguerite) and Ava stuck together, after my two grandmothers. It was my mother's compromise towards not naming me Ava Margarette, which thinking back on it is really not that bad of a name. I love my middle name though, and as a side effect of it being unique and unusual I can use it as a character name in MMOs.

AFewBricksShy posted:

My neighbor named their son Jackson. If they named their other kid Michael, I would also be posting that here.

My ex-husband's last name was Jackson, and when my older son was born, I had to have a serious conversation with him about why we could not name him Michael or Andrew. We're divorced for a reason.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

TheKennedys posted:

My ex-husband's last name was Jackson, and when my older son was born, I had to have a serious conversation with him about why we could not name him Michael or Andrew. We're divorced for a reason.

"And that's how I saved my son Tito from having a funny name."

How about Sir Thomas Crapper?
He was a pioneer in plumbing, and developed some helpful toilet related inventions like the floating ballcock (:laugh:). There's an old myth that the phrase "going to the crapper" or "taking a crap" comes from his name. The truth is actually more hilarious. The slang "crap" was already in use before his inventions and involvement in toilet development.

So a guy whose name was Crapper got into the business of crap with a hilarious name.

A guy at work's son has a substitute teacher at his high school named Mr. Ashole (pronounced ash-hole).

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I just remembered the other day that my ex wanted to name his kids Fortinbras Guildenstern and Roderick Edgetho. He was heavily influenced by our 12th grade English class.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I had a good friend in high school who was the first girl born in her generation to her family. They decided to name her after all the women of the previous two all at once in an acronym, so her name was Brrasie. Note the spelling, because most official organizations did not.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Choco1980 posted:

I had a good friend in high school who was the first girl born in her generation to her family. They decided to name her after all the women of the previous two all at once in an acronym, so her name was Brrasie. Note the spelling, because most official organizations did not.

Pronunciation ?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Istari posted:

Pronunciation ?

Maybe the emphasis is on the "Brr," like "it's cold in here." But that just makes it sound like "Jurassic."

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

sweeperbravo posted:

Maybe the emphasis is on the "Brr," like "it's cold in here." But that just makes it sound like "Jurassic."

I was actually more curious about the 'asie' part. To me, the lack of double S would make it more an 'ayzy' or 'arzy' sound, rather than an 'assy' sound.

E: I've just realised that, for Americans, 'assy' isn't simply going to be a sound that rhymes with 'sassy'.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I'll make it easy. It did rhyme with "sassy", like it was describing the metal.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I just started teaching in Korea and my younger students all chose English names. That's why I am the proud educator of:

Fire
Iron Man
Doctor
and
Teapot

Another teacher I met here has a student named I Die.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

bringmyfishback posted:

I just started teaching in Korea and my younger students all chose English names. That's why I am the proud educator of:

Fire
Iron Man
Doctor
and
Teapot

Teapot is going places.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Teapot is going places.

Personally I think and will be famous some day.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

In one of the companies my GF works for are a pair of Asian workers she claims are brothers--that's not the important part of the story. They each have perfectly normal and common Asian names. One is named Phat, and the other is named Thin.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I worked with a dude named Harold Johnson. He went by Harry and answered the phone, at work, with '(the company,) this is Harry Johnson, how can I help you?

I also went to school with a kid named Patrick Boner, but I think it was spelled Bonner. It was definitely pronounced with just one N.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

bringmyfishback posted:

Fire
Iron Man
Doctor
and
Teapot

I don't allow non-name "names" in my class. I have a girl who says her name is Purple, so I just use her real Chinese name. If it's not on the birth certificate, I don't have to use it!

aDecentCupOfTea
Jan 13, 2013
I took a phone call from a very polite lady today, named Miss Sixty-Eight, I had to confirm it with her, as I thought we had inputted her delivery address wrongly, putting the house number into the surname box. But nope, that was her name, her first name is Nineteen. She explained that her parents named her after the year she was born. Miss Nineteen Sixty-Eight.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

aDecentCupOfTea posted:

I took a phone call from a very polite lady today, named Miss Sixty-Eight, I had to confirm it with her, as I thought we had inputted her delivery address wrongly, putting the house number into the surname box. But nope, that was her name, her first name is Nineteen. She explained that her parents named her after the year she was born. Miss Nineteen Sixty-Eight.

They...changed her last name when she was born?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Choco1980 posted:

I don't know about where you're from, but where I'm from, you don't 'change' a baby's surname; you give them a surname. Most parents choose to give their baby the surname of one/both parent(s), but it's just as easy to put a completely different name on the form.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Istari posted:

I don't know about where you're from, but where I'm from, you don't 'change' a baby's surname; you give them a surname. Most parents choose to give their baby the surname of one/both parent(s), but it's just as easy to put a completely different name on the form.

I always assumed a baby in the US is automatically given the last name of the father, or mother if it's a single mother, but thinking about it now there are cases where the single mother gives the baby the last name of the father, or purported father, and as far as I know there's no legal hassle over it. Maybe it's the same way for giving the baby a different last name entirely. I never really thought about it.

Felonious_Monk
Oct 26, 2008
Not a terrible name, but a lovely coincidence: One of my best friends in high school was Austin Powers, born and named years before the movie of the same name. Apparently, as an RA in college, one of his residents was the son of Rob Lowe, who played young Number 2 in The Spy Who Shagged Me. Mr. Lowe met Austin during move-in, and was delighted by the coincidence.

Felonious_Monk has a new favorite as of 16:06 on Sep 19, 2013

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

I had a client today named Семен, or rather Семён (Semyon). Russian is a rather confusing language, often people don't bother to mark the additional dots above ё that would distinguish "yo" from "ye". Unfortunately the official transliteration Семён had in his passport didn't read "Semyon", but "Semen".

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

---

Inspector Zenigata has a new favorite as of 23:01 on Apr 2, 2014

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Inspector Zenigata posted:

When I was growing up, my mom always used to tell me and my siblings about her neighbors growing up, Doug and Phil Updegrav. I'm not sure how the surname is spelled, but it was pronounced "Up de grave", and their parents self-consciously named them dumb pun names because they thought it was hilarious. We never believed them, until we visited her parent's house for a Christmas party a few years ago, and lo and behold who's sitting right next to me? Doug. Phil had died a couple years before, which is sad, but still.

Are you sure it's not Doug and Philip de Grave?

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

---

Inspector Zenigata has a new favorite as of 23:01 on Apr 2, 2014

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

razorrozar posted:

I always assumed a baby in the US is automatically given the last name of the father, or mother if it's a single mother, but thinking about it now there are cases where the single mother gives the baby the last name of the father, or purported father, and as far as I know there's no legal hassle over it. Maybe it's the same way for giving the baby a different last name entirely. I never really thought about it.

As I said, I don't know about anywhere else. But I assume that most birth registration forms have fields for the child's name that go something like:
Child's name:
First:______________ Middle:________________ Surname:__________________

To me, it hardly makes sense for it to not be like this. Otherwise, it would be a serious pain for all those parents who give their kids hyphenated names.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

I work, in a very roundabout way, with mothers and young children. My favourites so far are a brother and sister named Ayhsha and Dontay, and three siblings called Nirvana, Jahleah and Vegaz.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
There's a lawyer in my town named Mr. Ramsbottom. I'm sure it was prestigious once, but not any more!

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN
In the last few days I've come across some odd names in court cases:

Rod Eagles

LaTrina

Dick Fischmann

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007
I am way too immature to process paperwork by our new hire, Ku Ke.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Now that I'm two jobs out, I can report on a VIP from an association I used to work at.

Bent Gay

To my knowledge, he is neither in real life. But I also loved his email address, which was bgay@[hisdomain]. Oh, and his company was GayCo. Wonderful stuff.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

The Macaroni posted:

Now that I'm two jobs out, I can report on a VIP from an association I used to work at.

Bent Gay

To my knowledge, he is neither in real life. But I also loved his email address, which was bgay@[hisdomain]. Oh, and his company was GayCo. Wonderful stuff.

Please tell me his domain was getbent.com? :haw:

aDecentCupOfTea
Jan 13, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, I'm fairly certain she said she was Indian? And that in India they don't have surnames, usually they pick the first name of one of the parents, but that they don't have to, and can technically pick whatever they want.

Also! Today I spoke to a lady called Beckeny/Bekeney, I'm not sure of the spelling, but it was pronounced like half way between Bethany and Becca.

aDecentCupOfTea has a new favorite as of 22:11 on Sep 25, 2013

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS
Met a girl in college with the first name "Golden Eagle". She was not a Native American, in fact she was a run of the mill white girl which was extremely out of place in that city.

Edit: facebooked her. I missed the opportunity to make her Spread Eagle.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

its like lava posted:

Met a girl in college with the first name "Golden Eagle". She was not a Native American, in fact she was a run of the mill white girl which was extremely out of place in that city.

Edit: facebooked her. I missed the opportunity to make her Spread Eagle.

Isn't/wasn't Golden Eagle a grocery store?

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

two forty posted:

Isn't/wasn't Golden Eagle a grocery store?

You may be thinking of Giant Eagle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_eagle

Wings of Mine
Aug 23, 2011
A couple on my Facebook named their newborn daughter "Linelda", combining the names Link and Zelda (from Nintendo's Legend of Zelda series) together in some sort of strange Twilight-esque "Renesmee" blending. :psyduck:

Everyone was congratulating them on their awesome name, but I'm sorry, I just find it so incredibly stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Wings of Mine posted:

A couple on my Facebook named their newborn daughter "Linelda", combining the names Link and Zelda (from Nintendo's Legend of Zelda series) together in some sort of strange Twilight-esque "Renesmee" blending. :psyduck:

Everyone was congratulating them on their awesome name, but I'm sorry, I just find it so incredibly stupid.

Had you not mentioned the origin of the name, I probably wouldn't have batted an eye. Even though it's a name I've never heard of before, it doesn't sound all that strange.

If they wanted a totally normal name and still honor the whole Zelda thing, then Link + Zelda could've simply just been Linda. v:shobon:v At least it's no Marjoe.