Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
I scored a bottle of Rachmaninoff! I can't wait to write all of my notes in eye-blinding pink. There isn't a whole lot of information on the Russian Series in general, though. It seems like any time someone brings them up in the fountain pen communities, they get ignored and it requires a lot of irritating "Hey guys, look at me! :byodame:" to get anyone to comment on the formulations or the color or the way the ink behaves in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

milpreve posted:

Someone talk me out of (into) buying a Pilot Metro. IF I splurge and buy it, should I get the converter? Rather, pros/cons of converter? I know you can switch the nibs, but I didn't see what size it takes on Goulet. Is it only swappable with other Pilot nibs, or can I order a loose nib from Goulet?

My Preppy should come tomorrow! :dance:

the pilot metro comes with a squeeze converter, the charge extra is for a piston converter.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

wodan22 posted:

You want them both...No, seriously, you want them both.

If you order them in the clear color, them you can swap out the nibs units (which I think are the same for the 580 and the Vac700). Otherwise, if you want the blue or the amber one, you can swap out nibs manually by pulling them out (Goulet pens/Ink Nouveau has a great video showing how to do this).

I have both (both are among my favorite pens, and I take them, along with my Pilot Metro, everywhere I go). I personally think that they write about the same, feel about the same in my hand, so not a lot of difference there. The 580 has a piston /twist converter and the bit you twist is right on the end of the pen where some folks post their caps. You can technically post the cap there, but when you go to remove it, it will twist the piston and squirt ink all over you. I've made that mistake. Holds a lot of ink by my estimation and the piston refill system is easy to use. As for the VAC700, I don't think you can post it either. It uses a vacuum fill system...which takes a little getting used to. That having been said, once you figure out the vac system, it hold a metric poo poo ton of ink. I have never actually gotten it dry, as I will inevitably get bored and want to try a new ink LOONNGGG before this thing even gets low on ink. Also, when you are going to be writing for a long time at once, you have to unscrew the end (the part with the handle for the vac/plunger) to increase ink flow. This as well takes a little getting used, however once you are used to it, you won't even think about it anymore.

So, which one is better? Which one should you get? The answer is YES. Get them both, eventually. :)

I feel the same way about my 540 and my 700, but I will give a slight edge to my Vac 700. I like the larger size, the #6 nib (which you can replace with a Goulet nib if you like - I have with rather good results*) and the fact that you can close off the feed is awesome when the pen is cold or you're worried about large changes in air pressure.

But if those features aren't appealing to you for the extra $15, then get the 580. I have a clear 540 and a Sapphire 700 and I love using them and letting others use them as well.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
I was just curious if anybody besides Monteverde makes a stylus fountain pen for use with touchscreens?

I saw that TWSBI has a ballpoint stylus, but no fp. Surely, somebody besides Monteverde has made one?

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

My Preppy came early! But... I'm not sure what the last piece is. It came inside of the body. (It's pictured next to the clear body.) I ordered the eye dropper conversion, which I think just means the rubber ring, right? So did it come with a cartridge? Can I use that, then later when that runs dry I just pour the HoD ink into the body, screw closed tightly, and write?

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force

milpreve posted:

My Preppy came early! But... I'm not sure what the last piece is. It came inside of the body. (It's pictured next to the clear body.) I ordered the eye dropper conversion, which I think just means the rubber ring, right? So did it come with a cartridge? Can I use that, then later when that runs dry I just pour the HoD ink into the body, screw closed tightly, and write?
Yes it's a cartridge and yes you can do that but I've never had a preppy cart that I've liked the color of so I suggest going straight to the sample.
Also a conversion should be o-ring and silicone grease

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Eyedropper converted preppies scare the poo poo out of me. That plastic looks so brittle... :ohdear:

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

Eyedropper converted preppies scare the poo poo out of me. That plastic looks so brittle... :ohdear:

I've had preppy's for going on 3 years and I only have one cracked barrel that I did while screwing it closed after a fill.
The caps crack though but I just use scotch tape.

A Dirty Sock
Nov 4, 2005

Death to Legoland!
Preppy caps definitely crack. Mine has a hairline up one side now but the seal is on an interior mechanism so the pen is still good. I go worry that the silicone ring is cracking now though.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Speaking of cheap pens. I bought one of these a few days ago. Will trip report when it comes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310502449538?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Do be sure to report back, I really like the look of that one, though I guess Heroes can be hit or miss.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007

A Dirty Sock posted:

Preppy caps definitely crack. Mine has a hairline up one side now but the seal is on an interior mechanism so the pen is still good. I go worry that the silicone ring is cracking now though.

I did replace my older o-rings a few months ago. They weren't leaking but I could see they were cracked and I wanted to be proactive. But I figure 2+ years of use was a good run for something so cheap and tiny.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Got my new inks and nib from xfountainpens.com, they sell #6 nibs to fit the Ahab for about 7 bucks. The one I bought sucks though, I wish I would have ponied up through Goulet instead. I think the nib might be defective as it writes super dry and scratchy, at .6mm even after cleaning up the nib a bit. I'm used to 1.0mm stub nibs after using my Plumix nib in a Metropolitan for the past few days. With the postage with sending it back and everything else it's not much savings. They do free shipping if you spend $15 though, as opposed to Goulet.

I also picked up some inks at around $5 a bottle. Antique Crimson - Chesterfield Ink is a nice deep crimson that writes really smooth and shades nicely. Tourmaline - Chesterfield Ink 25ml Bottle is a very pretty hunter green. I inked up my Ahab with the Antique Crimson for work.

Went to swap out the ink in my ahab and the o ring is already stretched out, and won't seal -- so I'm going to have to go back to the plunger until I can find the rest of the rings i bought.

On the subject of Preppys, my wife has her preppy inked up as an eyedropper and carries it around daily in her purse with no issues. They look really fragile but they're not that bad, especially with how cheap they are to replace.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 12, 2013

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Verdugo posted:

On the subject of Preppys, my wife has her preppy inked up as an eyedropper and carries it around daily in her purse with no issues. They look really fragile but they're not that bad, especially with how cheap they are to replace.

Cost of replacement isn't the concern. It only takes one bad barrel to ruin a purse, a shirt, a pair of pants, or worse--especially if you use waterproof inks. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

404notfound posted:

Cost of replacement isn't the concern. It only takes one bad barrel to ruin a purse, a shirt, a pair of pants, or worse--especially if you use waterproof inks. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

Agreed. I haven't run into any trouble with them. My preppy is actually in better shape than my ahab is.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
How long can you leave an eye dropper Preppy inked for before you start dealing with drying, in general? Same question for Metro! I know that inks can vary, but a ballpark estimate. With dip calligraphy, I always clean up to pack up, but for class pens I'd like to know if I can fill it and forget it for a week or so.

Unrelated: should I have to shake HoD? It looks like something settled on one side of the vial in transport. Will I have to shake the pen before use?

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

milpreve posted:

How long can you leave an eye dropper Preppy inked for before you start dealing with drying, in general? Same question for Metro! I know that inks can vary, but a ballpark estimate. With dip calligraphy, I always clean up to pack up, but for class pens I'd like to know if I can fill it and forget it for a week or so.

Unrelated: should I have to shake HoD? It looks like something settled on one side of the vial in transport. Will I have to shake the pen before use?

If the cap is still tight, at least a month plus for the Preppy, due to that crazy cap. The Metro will be a bit of a hard start after a week or so.
This is of course in my experience, yours may vary.

HoD I don't think you'd see much difference, but I recommend (gently) shaking any ink before you fill from it. Pen before use, not at all. Anything you'll write for at least a page is in the feed already anyway.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

SnakesRevenge posted:

If the cap is still tight, at least a month plus for the Preppy, due to that crazy cap. The Metro will be a bit of a hard start after a week or so.
This is of course in my experience, yours may vary.

HoD I don't think you'd see much difference, but I recommend (gently) shaking any ink before you fill from it. Pen before use, not at all. Anything you'll write for at least a page is in the feed already anyway.

Great, thanks! I'll not hesitate to play with my Preppy tomorrow then, and take it to class Monday. And if Metro, inks, and Rhodia pad come Friday, then it will be a very fun weekend!

Edit: I just filled it and wrote with it. I'm in love. I have no impulse control.

milpreve fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 12, 2013

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
A5 Rhodia Dot Pads for lyfe.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Your greatest fear with a converted eyedropper Preppy isn't that you will crack it, though that does happen.

It's actually that instead of uncapping it, you'll unscrew the barrel. God bless you if you're using a waterproof ink, because you're about to be totally hosed.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

lady flash posted:

I've had preppy's for going on 3 years and I only have one cracked barrel that I did while screwing it closed after a fill.
The caps crack though but I just use scotch tape.

:doh: Scotch tape, why didn't I think of that? I've just been careful with the cap on mine since it cracked, it will maintain the seal or whatever so long as it doesn't get moved too much.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

If I've left my pens sitting, inked, for a little too long (it's been two months or so now), what's the best way to clean them out and get them back to normal? Just run lukewarm/cool water through them for a while? Let them soak?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Arcturas posted:

If I've left my pens sitting, inked, for a little too long (it's been two months or so now), what's the best way to clean them out and get them back to normal? Just run lukewarm/cool water through them for a while? Let them soak?

Soaking it great. If they aren't weird antiques, a little diluted ammonia or even rubbing alcohol will remove a surprising amount of dried ink that you didn't think was there. The latter cleaned off a bunch of BSB residue that I didn't even know was there.

Also, don't be afraid of pulling out the nib and feed if you're able, this will help a great deal.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 12, 2013

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

My VP showed up today! Why the hell didn't I buy this thing sooner? It's so freaking cool!

I'm less impressed with the J Herbin Vert Olive I bought. It's really light, especially with a fine nib. But you live and learn.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
A friend bought a Cross C Series pen. The nib is huge and it's weighted pretty heavy but it seems to write nice. I'd still prefer my Lamy though. I really am a heathen I think.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Lamy 2000 is still in production, ergo it's always fine to prefer a Lamy.

Lamy 2000 + Pilot VP best student pen combination.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I bought my first fountain pen, a Lamy Safari, a few months ago and am looking to upgrade. I want something with a larger capacity, and the TWSBI 580 looks good to me but do those here that have one find the twisting end tight enough not to turn around itself jostling semi-loose in a backpack and make a mess? What size nib do you use?

I'm debating between a fine and a medium, I've read some reviews that it writes pretty wet so I'm leaning towards a fine nib.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There's not really enough of a texture on the piston knob for it to get caught on anything, plus it's fairly firm in its normal position. I've got a medium nib on my 580, which works fine for standard 7mm ruled paper.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

PlushCow posted:

I bought my first fountain pen, a Lamy Safari, a few months ago and am looking to upgrade. I want something with a larger capacity, and the TWSBI 580 looks good to me but do those here that have one find the twisting end tight enough not to turn around itself jostling semi-loose in a backpack and make a mess? What size nib do you use?

I'm debating between a fine and a medium, I've read some reviews that it writes pretty wet so I'm leaning towards a fine nib.

For nib comparisons Goulet Pens has this tool that shows you how each pen writes with each nib: Nib Nook

If you really want to go in for insane capacity I might recommend the Vac 700. drat thing never seems to run out of ink. Only thing I have with a better capacity than that is the Preppy Eyedropper that comes with HoD, and actually I'm not sure of that since my Vac has a finer nib than the Preppy and so far I haven't had to refill it.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

PlushCow posted:

The 580 is pretty awesome. One of my faves. The end is not loose. However you can't post the cap or else you do risk accidentally twisting the end and getting ink everywhere. If it really bothers you, the Vac700 is also a good choice.

I have the fine nib on both my 580 and my Vac700 and love it. I have fine nibs on all my pens, except the Japanese one which have mediums. So if you like fine nibs on other pens, the TWSBI fine nib is great. The vac700 (at least if you order from Goulet) comes with a second nib that you can swap out if you don't like the original nib it comes with.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Brightman posted:

For nib comparisons Goulet Pens has this tool that shows you how each pen writes with each nib: Nib Nook

If you really want to go in for insane capacity I might recommend the Vac 700. drat thing never seems to run out of ink. Only thing I have with a better capacity than that is the Preppy Eyedropper that comes with HoD, and actually I'm not sure of that since my Vac has a finer nib than the Preppy and so far I haven't had to refill it.

I'm almost sure that the 580 holds just a bit more ink than the Vac 700, due to the width of the barrel and the rod inside.

My 580 has a 1.1mm sub, which I find to be a bit of a hard-starter more often than not. My Vac 700 has a broad nib (the Jowo one), and is an absolute dream to write with.

For anyone choosing between the two I'd recommend giving them both a look (they're both gorgeous, honestly) and deciding how much the cool factor of a vacuum filler is worth.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

SnakesRevenge posted:

I'm almost sure that the 580 holds just a bit more ink than the Vac 700, due to the width of the barrel and the rod inside.

My 580 has a 1.1mm sub, which I find to be a bit of a hard-starter more often than not. My Vac 700 has a broad nib (the Jowo one), and is an absolute dream to write with.

For anyone choosing between the two I'd recommend giving them both a look (they're both gorgeous, honestly) and deciding how much the cool factor of a vacuum filler is worth.

Yeah I just have an old 530, and also the nib on my vac is EF so of course it goes forever. I think the capacity on a vac 2.1 ml, so if it out does that the 580 would definitely be the pen to get in this case.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Help stop me from making enormous wishlists of inks for my pens :supaburn:

But seriously, I like a lot of the bright saturated colors but I cant really think of a reason to use them, anyone have suggestions so I can justify buying a bunch of bright oranges and pinks or something?

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Xun posted:

But seriously, I like a lot of the bright saturated colors but I cant really think of a reason to use them, anyone have suggestions so I can justify buying a bunch of bright oranges and pinks or something?

Colour coded annotation in lecture notes and diagrams. Very handy in biology for protein complexes etc.

And sometimes submit handwritten exercises in purple because why not.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I had the body on an eyedropper Preppy unscrew a little bit in my bag and it made a huge mess that I didn't notice as I carried it around for a full day. Never again.

I'm sure they're fine for a non-mobile situation (sitting on your desk).

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Xun posted:

I usually keep a bright red on me for regulatory reasons, so maybe find a career in QC/QA? :p

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

ColdPie posted:

I had the body on an eyedropper Preppy unscrew a little bit in my bag and it made a huge mess that I didn't notice as I carried it around for a full day. Never again.

I'm sure they're fine for a non-mobile situation (sitting on your desk).

I have a Preppy I plan on converting once the cartridge it came with runs out, but I'm terrified of it doing something like that. If I had more confidence with it I'd use it instead of my 580 and Safari for my boring colors, but my black and blue-black are Noodler's bulletproof monstrosities. As much as I like 54th Mass I don't know if I want to commit my 580 to it.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Thanks for the replies, I'll take another look at the vac700 and the Nib Nook tool - definitely helpful that page is. Now to just decide a couple new colors (a brown??) of inks to try out beyond the black I have :)

Months ago I thought it was silly to spend $20 on just one pen, ONE PEN, I could get a box of ballpoints with that, but now spending $100+ on a pen and some inks I just don't know sometimes! :psyduck:

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
My pen box is finally done! Now to wait on shipping from England to Canada. Then to buy more pens to fill it up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

PlushCow posted:

Thanks for the replies, I'll take another look at the vac700 and the Nib Nook tool - definitely helpful that page is. Now to just decide a couple new colors (a brown??) of inks to try out beyond the black I have :)

Months ago I thought it was silly to spend $20 on just one pen, ONE PEN, I could get a box of ballpoints with that, but now spending $100+ on a pen and some inks I just don't know sometimes! :psyduck:

Admittedly it's more costly than the one pen you planned on months back, but Iroshizuku Tsukushi is an absolutely gorgeous brown with just a bit of red in it. Definitely worth a look/ink sample at least