Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Rhyno posted:

He posted a half dozen examples showing that Mignola doesn't often draw feet.

I think he means Cannonball specifically not just the feet thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

sporklift posted:

Do statues count. Those torpedoes!

Madrox posted:

That is a product that someone must have bought, and placed lovingly on a shelf. I don't even know what else to say about that.

I do: if you're an artist doing anything comic-related and can't meet these guidelines while producing anything in a halfway realistic style, get out of media.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I gotta post this preview of Raphael Albuquerque's upcoming work on Animal Man in the Good/Bad Art thread.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/09/11/dc-previews-albuquerque-on-animal-man/

God, I'm excited. Don't even color that. Just gimme.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 13, 2013

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I have two commissions from Rafael Albuquerque and a page from American Vampire. The man does amazing loving work and I wish he did more. His wash skills are loving incredible. I dropped Animal Man midway through the rotworld bullshit and hearing Albuquerque was coming on it immediately put it back at my attention.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I gotta post this preview of Raphael Albuquerque's upcoming work on Animal Man in the Good/Bad Art thread.

Holy poo poo. Forget about coloring, don't add words. It'd be a treat to figure this out for myself.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here's my prediction of what it's going to look like once DC's all-star team of colorists get through with it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

Here's my prediction of what it's going to look like once DC's all-star team of colorists get through with it.

That is still better than what they will do to it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

You're hired.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is that Desaad? :stare:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

That's actually kinda cool looking.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is that Desaad? :stare:

No, it's Brother Blood.

VVV: Oh, that's right, forgot. :doh:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 16, 2013

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

TwoPair posted:

No, it's Brother Blood.

This is Bro Blood. At least it's how he looks now.

His followers wear cloaks though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You're gonna need to buy a DC villain month issue tomorrow. Sorry, y'all.
http://comicsalliance.com/dial-e-preview-dc-villains-month-dial-h-annie-wu-frazer-irving-jock-emma-rios/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 18, 2013

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Maybe it's my malformed childhood. I'm getting-in a good way-Defenders Of The Earth Phantom vibes. "By jungle law, the ghost who walks, calls forth the power...Of the Bear! Of The Rhino!"

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
http://lyricstranslate.com/en/Cartoon-Songs-Defenders-Earth-lyrics.html

quote:

Defenders of the Earth, Defenders!
Out of the sky his rockets ignite!
Jets into battle, flies faster than light!
Flash Gordon!

Lord of the jungle, the hero who stalks!
The beasts call him brother, the ghost who walks!
Phantom!

Master of magic, spells and illusion,
Enemies crumble in fear and confusion!
Mandrake!

His strength is a legend, his skills conquer all,
Armed with his power, we never will fall!
Lothar!

With our new young hero's, proving their worth,
Four become eight, defending the Earth!

Awwww hells yeah!

EDIT: :rock:

Gatts fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 20, 2013

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Bringing it to another thread but there's actually a Defenders comic at the moment.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
Earlier this week I posted Angel Medina's work on "Taking A.I.M.," prologue. Now here's some out of context panels of Dave Hoover's art, from Captain America #440.

Believe it or not, those A.I.M. agents have not been magically shrunk, that's just supposed to be perspective.

Linked from my blog, full review available here: http://thepouchfiles.blogspot.com/2013/09/review-captain-america-440.html

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
What do you guys think of P. Craig Russell?

I forget if I posted his stuff before but I always enjoyed his work and thought he was underrated. His delicate line work and sense of the surreal were always fascinating to look at for me.

poo poo. Edited for table breaking. One more.

http://i43.tinypic.com/21mvkgk.jpg

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 28, 2013

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

This is Elric, right? It's got a good creepiness about it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

prefect posted:

This is Elric, right? It's got a good creepiness about it.
Yep. That's Arioch, Lord of Chaos he's summoned in the background there.

PCR is great. For all of the great art in Sandman, his issue (Issue #50, "Ramadan") might have had the best.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
PCR gets around a lot and has done a vast amount of work, but what I remember best is some of his really old stuff, his work on Siegfried in all its various publication outlets. I remember viewing and reading these back in their original publication in Epic Illustrated (yes, I'm pretty goddamn old):

This one is more recent but in the same vein:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, Russel's basically the only guy that can draw Faerie right in my head. I also really admire his efforts he's made at doing, of all things, adapting operas into graphic novels. It's an impressive and ambitious feat. I always regretted that my library had only his Wagnerian adaptations. I really want to read his Pagliacci some day.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just because it's never a bad time to post Allred. FF #12

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Impy isn't bad. :colbert:

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Clever placement of Doc Ock there, too.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Just because it's never a bad time to post Allred. FF #12

I wonder if all of those poses are supposed to be homages. The image of the FF in the Fantasticar is clearly inspired by the cover to Fantastic Four #3, and the Green Goblin seems to be coming from the cover to Amazing Spider Man #39. Both of them are pretty key issues for Silver Age Marvel.

Edit: I knew that image of Kang chilling on the invisible couch looked familiar. It's from Avengers #8.

Servoret fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 29, 2013

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Jesus, Wasp. Reign it in.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
There is no way those skrulls are not from Fantastic Four 2.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Mind The Gap sounded interesting (girl in a coma is having an out of body experience and has to solve the mystery of who pushed her in front of a subway train) but descended into hackery with the writer putting in several pages of "here's some oh-so-clever clues I gave you that you might have missed" literally written out in some of the early issues.

The artist tries to use clever perspective, but he isn't really good at it (or foreshortening) which results in stub people:

and for maximum bobbleheadedness:

The art is just bad all around really. Look at that first page. This could have had a neat layout, a one point perspective looking down the stairwell with the character who answers the phone drawn four times so the entire conversation takes place in a single panel splash page. Instead we get a pancaked staircase copy/pasted four times.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

redbackground posted:

ult26

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

redbackground posted:

Unfortunately that's just was Wasp's character at the time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ryonguy posted:

The art is just bad all around really. Look at that first page. This could have had a neat layout, a one point perspective looking down the stairwell with the character who answers the phone drawn four times so the entire conversation takes place in a single panel splash page. Instead we get a pancaked staircase copy/pasted four times.

Is that the artist from Morning Glories? It looks very similar.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Servoret posted:

Edit: I knew that image of Kang chilling on the invisible couch looked familiar. It's from Avengers #8.

Ah, that also explains (not that it needed explaining) this week's Uncanny Avengers #12 cover:

I thought the signatures were a nice touch.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

There is no way those skrulls are not from Fantastic Four 2.

That was my first thought too, but they aren't. Both the Mole Man and the Skrulls come from pin-ups in the back of Fantastic Four Annual #1.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Jedit posted:

Is that the artist from Morning Glories? It looks very similar.

The cover artist, apparently. I really dislike it. It seems the pencils are just barely there to provide vague shapes for the coloring, which is the current industry standard style of five minute watercolors. I wish more comics were black and white. Color nowadays just seems like a crutch for lovely artwork.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Servoret posted:

I wonder if all of those poses are supposed to be homages. The image of the FF in the Fantasticar is clearly inspired by the cover to Fantastic Four #3, and the Green Goblin seems to be coming from the cover to Amazing Spider Man #39. Both of them are pretty key issues for Silver Age Marvel.

I can't find good source pictures, but Iron Man and Thor are both very old, classic images. That's a very Kirby Thor.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

prefect posted:

That's a very Kirby Thor.

I have the original image on a t-shirt and can verify that that Thor image is based on Kirby.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Happy Hippo posted:

I have the original image on a t-shirt and can verify that that Thor image is based on Kirby.

I believe it was first a pinup page in Journey Into Mystery.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I believe it was first a pinup page in Journey Into Mystery.
Correct - #110. (it's in Masterworks Vol 2, fyi)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The skrulls look like they were caught in Farmer Hank's silo, stealing his grain.