Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kenlon posted:

LA Ermor is gone - Pythium is the only remnant of the Empire left. As it should be. (Lemuria doesn't count, since it's all ghosts. :colbert:)
Isn't Bloody Mary technically an Ermor spin-off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Ulm and Marverni became civilized by Ermor and then went their seperate ways after Ermor accidentally summoned Death instead of Jesus.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Damnit, why'd you have to put up the team game the one day I'm not here.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Valiantman posted:

Just saying.

And when I posted the first couple games there, people didn't notice. Having game signups in the active Dom4 thread makes far more sense and keeps the thread alive where people can see it. :colbert:

TestPantheon:

All player slots are full, please get your team compositions to me (either here or in IRC) so I can put up the game.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Trying to learn, so much stuff. Is a lycanthropos' amulet on a Bane Lord a good idea?

Extra strength, attack, protection and regen all for the low low price of 10 magic seeds nature gems! Downsides, they won't follow ze orders any more, if they get bad afflictions you can't transfer it off, and if they die you just know one of your mages will pick it up.

Did I just answer my own question?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Kenlon posted:

And when I posted the first couple games there, people didn't notice. Having game signups in the active Dom4 thread makes far more sense and keeps the thread alive where people can see it. :colbert:

TestPantheon:

All player slots are full, please get your team compositions to me (either here or in IRC) so I can put up the game.

It makes this thread unusable for other purposes, unfortunately. Visibility be damned. It's not like you can't post a thing here linking to the other thread, oh wait, you can.

We've been through this before, the PGS thread is pretty much necessary to keep this thread readable.

tooterfish posted:

Trying to learn, so much stuff. Is a lycanthropos' amulet on a Bane Lord a good idea?

Extra strength, attack, protection and regen all for the low low price of 10 magic seeds nature gems! Downsides, they won't follow ze orders any more, if they get bad afflictions you can't transfer it off, and if they die you just know one of your mages will pick it up.

Did I just answer my own question?

Yes you did.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Streaming a duel against Lilli
http://www.twitch.tv/thedemonstream

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Well this is going to be the quickest duel ever.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

Lilli posted:

Well this is going to be the quickest duel ever.

drat, 20 mins to dl the twitch app. Northern Canada 3g sucks. There going to be a VOD of this? Would be neat to watch later to see how two good players play dom4.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
So a couple requests re: strategy.

EA C'tis having trouble sealing the deal on some seriously entrenched AI (about 6 Castles + temples in a cluster). I'm mostly using national armies with good-roll Enchantresses casting Arrow Fend and Fire Arrows for my hordes of indie archers, with some bane lord strike squads on the side and a harvester of sorrows with one of those disease spreading charms + super stealth wandering around the enemy backfield.

I picked a Sphinx pretender thinking I could teleport around (I could not), so he's kind of useless. I'm not entirely sure how to leverage my national Mages (Death/Nature) in combat.

I'm doing relatively well on site exploration thanks to the enchantress. I'm still consistently running low on death gems so I've trying to get Well of Misery up.

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Shorter but more complex question: why's Blood Magic supposedly so good? I poked around with EA Mictlan and couldn't really get it to go anywhere.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Kin33 posted:

Would be neat to watch later to see how two good players play dom4.

quote:

Good players

Ahahahahahahahh

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

boho posted:

Shorter but more complex question: why's Blood Magic supposedly so good? I poked around with EA Mictlan and couldn't really get it to go anywhere.

Blood magic is good because it does quite a lot of everything for researching just one school. There's powerful battlemagic (both buffs and attack spells), summons, remote attacks, nasty globals and more. On top of that blood slaves are generally much easier to obtain than large amounts of gems, letting you spam whatever you want pretty easily. In Mictlan's case you have access to rain of toads to extort your neighbors with and Jaguar Fiends to replace your Jaguar Warriors with midgame.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

boho posted:

EA C'tis having trouble sealing the deal on some seriously entrenched AI (about 6 Castles + temples in a cluster). I'm mostly using national armies with good-roll Enchantresses casting Arrow Fend and Fire Arrows for my hordes of indie archers, with some bane lord strike squads on the side and a harvester of sorrows with one of those disease spreading charms + super stealth wandering around the enemy backfield.

I picked a Sphinx pretender thinking I could teleport around (I could not), so he's kind of useless. I'm not entirely sure how to leverage my national Mages (Death/Nature) in combat.

I'm doing relatively well on site exploration thanks to the enchantress. I'm still consistently running low on death gems so I've trying to get Well of Misery up.

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Did you take a pretender with some kind of bless involving F9? Sacred flying murderous blood summons (beast bats and ozelotls) on top of extremely good Thug/SCs and the other excellent spells you get in blood by default combined with mictlan's excellent cheap hunters are a powerful combo. Blood is good (or was in 3 at least) because it was filled with so much great stuff. It's got combat magic, remote attack, SC destruction with the Banish spells, great summons both for troops and SCs, and grants access to some great magic items.

Though with the new unrest mechanics, blood hunting may be more annoying and distributed. Could someone who's played the 4 beta chime in on how blood feels in the new version?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Kin33 posted:

There going to be a VOD of this? Would be neat to watch later to see how two good players play dom4.

lol ok "good players". more like watch two terrible players flail at each other for 3 hours.

and yes I'll save it for VOD

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

TheDemon posted:

lol ok "good players". more like watch two terrible players flail at each other for 3 hours.

and yes I'll save it for VOD

You are good compared to the majority of us proles :colbert:.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You are good compared to the majority of us proles :colbert:.

If this blitz is proof, that is so far from true. :v:

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I am literally embarrassed I streamed that game of all things. Watch me get an army trapped behind a river, die to bogus, sacrifice armies to PD, forget the mapmove rules, forget that I can't make roads on mountains, sacrifice cap mages to independents, sacrifice sacreds to indep mages....

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

TheDemon posted:

I am literally embarrassed I streamed that game of all things. Watch me get an army trapped behind a river, die to bogus, sacrifice armies to PD, forget the mapmove rules, forget that I can't make roads on mountains, sacrifice cap mages to independents, sacrifice sacreds to indep mages....

Now I regret not watching the game :allears:

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I did however, get a fort event and a +900 gold event on turn 3, so I am still lucky. Luck > Skill.

VOD here http://www.twitch.tv/thedemonstream/b/460348638

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

boho posted:

Have you tried Foul Vapors on an undead-heavy battlefield. Actually, with the new resist rules it shouldn't affect your lizards much either. Foul Vapors + Raise Dead/Raise Skeleton spam should attrit out 90% of AI armies. If you're facing regening giants or something, throw in Rigor Mortis, again with your own guys undead-heavy and maybe with Relief or regeneration on your mages.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Mage paths being displayed on the unit card is the best thing. Now you have license to give your mages stupid names instead of W2E1S3 and still know what the gently caress they are good for at a glance.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I'm putting up a duplicate disciples game.

CopycatPantheon:
http://www.brainwrinkle.net/games/64

Same map, same win condition (16/24 thrones), 4 teams of 3 players. Lilli/Incy/BC have already signed up, that's why she's triple-claimed, but other than that...

Please post in the PGS thread stating any teammates you have arranged and also your pref for disciple/pretender.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Mage paths being displayed on the unit card is the best thing. Now you have license to give your mages stupid names instead of W2E1S3 and still know what the gently caress they are good for at a glance.

I still name everything appropriately to their paths - rather than a full path list, it's things like "Death Elder", for an Augur Elder who got a death random. Feels more thematic.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I can't wait until Awesome Mercs comes out.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

amuayse posted:

I can't wait until Awesome Mercs comes out.

Gonna put in Natasha Kerensky leading Wolf's Dragoons. They will have absurd equipment and maximum XP and will cost like 5000 gold just to bid.

allroy
Oct 3, 2003

Allroy for Prez
I was a fan of Dom 3, I bought it when it first came out. I was reconsidering buying it since it was on steam, so I searched for DOMINIONS on here. Then I saw that this was in a downloadable beta! Thanks GOONS. Now I don't have to Re-buy #3. This game rocks! I tried jumping right in and playing it (I never was very good at dom 3) and I lost my first game. I think I learned enough to win on a 2nd playthru. What a deep/awesome game.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Pulled this from the PGS thread, should probably be in the OP.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dirk the Average posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about this change. On the one hand, I know they're essentially unintended behavior (since they require fiddling with unit order, which is not something that should be required). On the other hand, they've been a thing for a long time and they're a lot of fun to set up and use. I'm not sure that they're a gamebreaking thing that needs to be removed, honestly. I feel like the game is tactically richer when small squads of otherwise crappy mages can link up and rain down some hell.

Honestly, I'm relieved. I could never quite wrap my head around how reverse communions were supposed to work and hosed up again and again while trying to set them up. Making working communions was quite a feat for me already!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Missed both Pantheon games. What a shame.

Ah well. Guess it's time to get rolled by the AI again.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Capfalcon posted:

Missed both Pantheon games. What a shame.

Ah well. Guess it's time to get rolled by the AI again.

You can have my spot in the LA game if you like!

edit: Use the Private Game Servers thread.

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 13, 2013

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Libluini posted:

Honestly, I'm relieved. I could never quite wrap my head around how reverse communions were supposed to work and hosed up again and again while trying to set them up. Making working communions was quite a feat for me already!

Honestly, this is a big reason in why I'm not too broken up at their removal. I feel like a lot of the notable changes they've made are things that are unintuitive. They've removed things that newer play aren't going to learn outside of just straight up having someone tell them. (like reverse communions) I don't really have a problem with them simplifying the game in that manner. I'm okay with making the skill ceiling more obtainable if it means making the game more accessible.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
New sprites. Since I already got my three basic recruitable mages down (Priest of the Four, Priestess of Ruin, Kahuna Mage) I don't really know what to do with the last dude. The Kahuna healer an H1 disease (2) healer with a 10% chance of B. Menehunes got moved to summons again. The shapeshifter is a hero, and can't seduce in Mo'o form because that would be weird.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Quick question: is there hotseat mp in Dom4 yet?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Geokinesis posted:

Isn't "Hotseat" just playing a MP game with everyone using one computer? You can do this. It was possible in Dom3, too. Start a new game with every nation set to "Human".

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

Geokinesis posted:

You can just play sp and set multiple nations to human controlled. As far as I can see there is zero difference between that and a formal hot-seat mode.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Victor Vermis posted:

Isn't "Hotseat" just playing a MP game with everyone using one computer? You can do this. It was possible in Dom3, too. Start a new game with every nation set to "Human".

Yeah, when you hit end turn it will return you to the main screen area where you select a new nation. So hot seat is possible.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Kin33 posted:

You can just play sp and set multiple nations to human controlled. As far as I can see there is zero difference between that and a formal hot-seat mode.

Victor Vermis posted:

Ah thanks.

Doing this allows for each human nation to sort their pretender gods too right? (I haven't played Dom before so sorry if this is a silly question :ohdear:)

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Lilli posted:

Honestly, this is a big reason in why I'm not too broken up at their removal. I feel like a lot of the notable changes they've made are things that are unintuitive. They've removed things that newer play aren't going to learn outside of just straight up having someone tell them. (like reverse communions) I don't really have a problem with them simplifying the game in that manner. I'm okay with making the skill ceiling more obtainable if it means making the game more accessible.

The easy way to fix it is to just make them intentional - either add in a different version of communion master that doesn't restrict casting from slaves, or a different version of communion slave that doesn't have the master restrict them. Reverse communions are a hell of a lot of fun when you've got something like crappy 1S1E mages that link up and suddenly start spamming out blade wind thanks to inheriting power of the spheres and summon earthpower. The mages leading the communion can then potentially get enough power to pop a good endgame army buff in the process as well. The danger and balancing point comes from needing to manage fatigue so that they don't kill themselves.

It does make communions a lot weaker though, which might be their intent.

Edit: Speaking of managing spells, has the spellcasting AI been enhanced at all yet, or is there a way to restrict the general "cast spells" order to only cast certain types of spells (buff, damage, debuff, etc.)?

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 13, 2013

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Anybody fool around with some of the new globals yet? I cast Vengeful Water and I guess it sends water elementals to assassinate commanders in your dominion. Neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So I literally just bought Dominions 3 on Steam the other day because I'd read a couple interesting things about the game beforehand, mostly about Ermor, and now suddenly there's Dominions 4? Say what?

• Locked thread