Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Non Sequitur posted:

Yeah, it's crazy how unifying Italy is way harder than unifying Germany even though Italy managed it 10 years earlier historically.

AI Tuscany has done it in every game I've ever played. In my Byzantium game they managed it about 3 days before I declared war on them to retake Italy for the Roman Empire. They conquered all of Italy, formed Italy, and then within 20 years were reduced to a OPM with Savoie and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

They're talking about V2, and I feel like you're talking about EU4.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

PittTheElder posted:

Although, to be fair, managing to play as the Byzantines in V2 would be kind of an accomplishment.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Patter Song posted:

My "original character (don't steal)" happens to be the OP of this thread, thank you very much.

'Benjamin of the House of Grog'?

Sounds about right to me.

Rincewind posted:

Although, to be fair, managing to play as the Byzantines in V2 would be kind of an accomplishment.

It's a formable nation in vanilla. (Along with, IIRC, the equally historically plausible Babylon.)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Ha, you're right. I've been playing a lot of EU4 lately.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

PleasingFungus posted:

'Benjamin of the House of Grog'?

Sounds about right to me.

It's a formable nation in vanilla. (Along with, IIRC, the equally historically plausible Babylon.)

Is there some playable nation that could plausibly reform into them (Greece?), or is it just something for bored Great Powers to release if they've smashed the Ottomans or whatever?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Rincewind posted:

Is there some playable nation that could plausibly reform into them (Greece?), or is it just something for bored Great Powers to release if they've smashed the Ottomans or whatever?

The latter is arguably more plausible than the former:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_Plan

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

NihilCredo posted:

The latter is arguably more plausible than the former:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_Plan

Catherine the Great: officially the most Paradox world leader in history, I guess.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

About to finish my first EU4 game -- all I want to do now is play Paradox games but think I'll wait for EU4's next big patch at least before another round. Debating either an Old Gods game since I never actually played CK2 since that DLC but leaning toward V2 HoD.

Tried a few of the common suggestions like Sweden, Brazil and Japan; only game I've actually finished is Persia, which was OK but I felt like I was on the sidelines most of the time. Looking for something that:
  • doesn't start as a GP, would prefer something more manageable at the beginning;
  • preferably outside western/northern Europe, cause I'd like to learn some new geography;
  • has a natural goal, like territory to reclaim, a tag to form;
  • is constantly up in some poo poo -- I want stuff happening, I want to at least occasionally be the center of the world's attention.
Greece and the whole Balkans region seemed to be the subject of most of the crises in my games, anything there decently playable? Or something like that elsewhere?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

A Violence Gang posted:

About to finish my first EU4 game -- all I want to do now is play Paradox games but think I'll wait for EU4's next big patch at least before another round. Debating either an Old Gods game since I never actually played CK2 since that DLC but leaning toward V2 HoD.

Tried a few of the common suggestions like Sweden, Brazil and Japan; only game I've actually finished is Persia, which was OK but I felt like I was on the sidelines most of the time. Looking for something that:
  • doesn't start as a GP, would prefer something more manageable at the beginning;
  • preferably outside western/northern Europe, cause I'd like to learn some new geography;
  • is constantly up in some poo poo -- I want stuff happening, I want to at least occasionally be the center of the world's attention.
Greece and the whole Balkans region seemed to be the subject of most of the crises in my games, anything there decently playable? Or something like that elsewhere?

Play Paraguay, try to take as much of South America as you can before time runs out.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

A Violence Gang posted:

How about Mexico? Depending on how you go, it'll either be a slow loss of territory to the US or you'll be able to cripple the Yankees before they can make grounds and become the new hegemon of the Americas.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

A Violence Gang posted:

Starts as Spain, day 1 release and tagswitch to Cuba. Your first goal will basically be trying to block re-integration of the CSA so that they settle for white peace/reparations with the US and you can puppet them.

That was one of the most fun V2 games I played, though I did have to mod the US not to be a cultural union of it's secessionist state.

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples

A Violence Gang posted:

The Balkans aren't good since the Ottomans tend to be ahistorically strong. They usually lose GP status, but the Balkans almost never get Balkanized, maybe because the warscore system is broken (I think it takes 100 warscore to release Bulgaria, so even if there's a crisis for it, the AI will almost certainly peace out sooner).

I'll second Mexico. Persia's also an interesting game if you don't mind an unciv - it doesn't have the super-easy path that Japan does or the ludicrous popuation of China, but it's easy enough and you don't really need to worry about foreign agression if you avoid getting called into wars with Russia.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

A Violence Gang posted:

If you're okay about playing a barbarous nation of savage primitives, far from the enlightened and civilized light of Glorious Europa :ironicat:, you can try Dai Nam. The advantage of Dai Nam is that you're rather close to a lot of small, weak southeast Asian countries you can easily beat on, and you have a fairly substantial population, which means it'll be easier to replenish your army. Just looking around, you've got Johore, Atjeh, Luang Prabang, and Brunei all within arm's reach. Dai Nam also comes with a nice bonus of keeping Kampuchea as a puppet state. Neat! Later when you've "civilized" a bit, you can think about taking on Burma and biting chunks out of Siam. Once I even mounted an invasion of Korea to take their precious iron and coal!

If you play your cards right, you'll be able to Westernize by around 1860s-70s and become a fairly strong regional power. You'll be making a lot of money from Luxury Furniture, Opium and Rubber exports, so it is a fairly economically prosperous region. I've yet to turn Dai Nam into a Great Power for any substantial period of time, but it is doable, I think.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

A Violence Gang posted:

I know you said that you've already tried it, but Japan fits what you're saying. It starts off pretty far down the list, but once you westernize, start catching up, and build a modern army and navy you can become a serious threat basically anywhere you decide to go.

I did a game as Hyderabad, once. You're in The UK's sphere, but whatever magical combination of artisans and easy access to dye and cloth that you have makes you rich as hell. You're kind of trapped in the middle of British India, so you can't really do anything for a long time. Basically, you'll westernize slowly and any future success you have beyond that requires the UK to get into such a bad situation that they're overrun by rebels in India. It happens in many games, but not all the time. If they stumble and you're westernized, you can take advantage and expand. If your luck holds out, one of the other Indian states will get overrun by Indian pan-nationalists. This will eventually cause them to collapse and join you, creating an instant India under your control. I think that India is supposed to get a chance for this to happen early, because Sepoy rebels are basically a really early version of pan-nationalists, but the UK will still have their act together when (and if) they appear, so they never manage to have much of an effect.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

In V2 it just comes down to ally France and get them to smash Austria for you which is easy to do because

1. France spheres you 99% of the time
2. Austria almost always gets entangled with wars with Prussia so you can just back door them and get at least Milan easy, more if they really get smashed.

edit: I guess I'm assuming you're doing it as S-P, I've done it as Tuscany as well but that is a lot harder, it took me until like 1890 just patiently taking Italian states whenever France or Austria were too busy to do anything about it. I did it before the days of ticking war score though, might be easier now.

Janissary Hop fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 13, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Kersch posted:

I know you said that you've already tried it, but Japan fits what you're saying. It starts off pretty far down the list, but once you westernize, start catching up, and build a modern army and navy you can become a serious threat basically anywhere you decide to go.

I did a game as Hyderabad, once. You're in The UK's sphere, but whatever magical combination of artisans and easy access to dye and cloth that you have makes you rich as hell. You're kind of trapped in the middle of British India, so you can't really do anything for a long time. Basically, you'll westernize slowly and any future success you have beyond that requires the UK to get into such a bad situation that they're overrun by rebels in India. It happens in many games, but not all the time. If they stumble and you're westernized, you can take advantage and expand. If your luck holds out, one of the other Indian states will get overrun by Indian pan-nationalists. This will eventually cause them to collapse and join you, creating an instant India under your control. I think that India is supposed to get a chance for this to happen early, because Sepoy rebels are basically a really early version of pan-nationalists, but the UK will still have their act together when (and if) they appear, so they never manage to have much of an effect.

In my last game as China, one of my early goals was to modernize, get really powerful, and smash Britain in order to liberate India. I sort of forgot about that as time went on, but I was wondering if anyone's ever done that?

EDIT: I've been playing as Mexico. Back a few months, someone had some tips for winning the war of Texan independence as Mexico-- could someone reiterate that? The USA always joins in and kicks my face in. :(

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 13, 2013

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Thanks for all the suggestions. Mexico sounds like a good call. I don't think the V2 instructional LP thread ever compiled that list of interesting countries, plenty of good material in these posts.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

DrSunshine posted:

In my last game as China, one of my early goals was to modernize, get really powerful, and smash Britain in order to liberate India. I sort of forgot about that as time went on, but I was wondering if anyone's ever done that?

Once you modernize as China, kicking Britain out of Asia doesn't cost you many calories. Your army will be 3-4 times the size of theirs and you'll generally modernize quite quick on the back of conquering Korea and South East Asia.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

Once you modernize as China, kicking Britain out of Asia doesn't cost you many calories. Your army will be 3-4 times the size of theirs and you'll generally modernize quite quick on the back of conquering Korea and South East Asia.

Yeah, my main thing about that was all the infamy I'd racked up over the years conquering as an unciv. Even with releasing all the conquered nations as puppets, I was still looking at infamy in like the 17-20s range. :geno:

Though, I guess even with infamy >25, if you've got a modern army 3 times the size of most other nations' armies, they generally won't be looking to cut you down, huh?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, my main thing about that was all the infamy I'd racked up over the years conquering as an unciv. Even with releasing all the conquered nations as puppets, I was still looking at infamy in like the 17-20s range. :geno:

Though, I guess even with infamy >25, if you've got a modern army 3 times the size of most other nations' armies, they generally won't be looking to cut you down, huh?

I had a game where I was Rio Grande do Sul, and had racked up a good 40 infamy annexing Argentina and Chile in one go, and despite literally every other GP in the world being at war with me, it really didn't cause me any problems and actually made it easier to just start declaring war on the rest of South America. I was so isolated from everyone else, the 20-30k stacks they sent every other month was hardly a problem for my 100k army. I'd imagine China is in a similar position, but instead of having an army 3 times larger than any landing parties, it's bigger than their entire army.

Basically, there's no good reasson to NOT just get 50 infamy ASAP and just world war forever.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

DrProsek posted:

Basically, there's no good reasson to NOT just get 50 infamy ASAP and just world war forever.

Hm! So, it seems, that in the grim darkness of the 19th century, there is only war. :black101:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

TinTower posted:

Now, in EU4, it's rather different. A lot of songs have been given weights in the file, but most are war dependent. Here are the weightings for the music.

To be honest, I'm actually disappointed in the lack of variety. Might make a mod to rectify that.
What kind of music were you thinking here? Actual period music, or just additional "classical" music? I'm already in the process of making a mod that changes the music to match the period you're in in-game, though actually listening through all those Creative Commons recordings I've downloaded is taking some time. It's not like every piece of music is really suited for the purpose, a lot of them are long as gently caress, or just far too slow. Anyway, if that was what you had in mind, it might be easier to team up than make the same mod twice? Just throwing it out there. :)

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

DrSunshine posted:

Hm! So, it seems, that in the grim darkness of the 19th century, there is only war. :black101:

As China, once your army is full size, not many nations will go to war with you, even once you start hitting 3 digit infamy. Russia might screw around once or twice, but then you break them and no one wants to play any more.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What kind of music were you thinking here? Actual period music, or just additional "classical" music? I'm already in the process of making a mod that changes the music to match the period you're in in-game, though actually listening through all those Creative Commons recordings I've downloaded is taking some time. It's not like every piece of music is really suited for the purpose, a lot of them are long as gently caress, or just far too slow. Anyway, if that was what you had in mind, it might be easier to team up than make the same mod twice? Just throwing it out there. :)

EUII already did this, and you could probably move the soundtrack over wholesale as long as the file takes date triggers for the music.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

DrSunshine posted:

Modern China doesn't have to worry about infamy. If your military is strong enough you can do whatever you want, my last China game ended with over 300 infamy.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Fintilgin posted:

EUII already did this, and you could probably move the soundtrack over wholesale as long as the file takes date triggers for the music.
That assumes you have the EUII music. Plus you can't really distribute a mod that contains copyrighted content, unless you follow the Ubik Interpretation. But yeah, the file takes the same triggers as events I believe, so you can really fine tune the whole thing if you so desire.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This was already done by, uh, I think it was Petrarch, for EUIII and FTG. I'll see if I can dig the mod up, it might save you some work.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 13, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I wonder what the next Paradox game will be. It's been 4 years since HoI 3, so can we expect a return to that series?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Okay, yeah, here we go. Maybe eighty songs, sorted by century but no weightings for war or whatever. Should all be legal and above board. Petrarch over on Paradox is guy whose stuff it is, so you should probably talk to him if you want to reuse it.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wonder what the next Paradox game will be. It's been 4 years since HoI 3, so can we expect a return to that series?

They were making noises about something new, I think, though they don't really draw enough of a distinction between their in-house work and the published stuff when it comes to that sort of thing. HOI would be next in the rotation, if it's not new.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 13, 2013

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

As always, a EU:Rome 2 could be good, if they get the right blend of CK2 style character politics and EU4 country management. The original EU:Rome had some good mechanics in the bad game its was, and it was quite playable with Wiz's mod.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Autonomous Monster posted:

Okay, yeah, here we go. Maybe eighty songs, sorted by century but no weightings for war or whatever. Should all be legal and above board. Petrarch over on Paradox is guy whose stuff it is, so you should probably talk to him if you want to reuse it.
This is all in .mp3s, does EUIV support those or should we convert them to .ogg first?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

This is all in .mp3s, does EUIV support those or should we convert them to .ogg first?

I am shrugging like a mastershrugger. Throw them at it and see what happens.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

nothing to seehere posted:

As always, a EU:Rome 2 could be good, if they get the right blend of CK2 style character politics and EU4 country management. The original EU:Rome had some good mechanics in the bad game its was, and it was quite playable with Wiz's mod.

A few months ago they made some noises like they considered Rome 2 such a financial risk they floated the vague possibility of a kickstarter for it. So I doubt it's in the pipeline unless someone on the inside with clout is pulling for it really hard.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Rome 2 would be just incredible if its dynastic based like CK 2

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Autonomous Monster posted:

They were making noises about something new, I think, though they don't really draw enough of a distinction between their in-house work and the published stuff when it comes to that sort of thing. HOI would be next in the rotation, if it's not new.

Didn't the noise about something new turn out to be that Viking/Saxon version of War of the Roses?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I think there's been some really good focus on gameplay development reflected in CK2 and EU4 - feel like they could revisit Rome and make it a better experience. A real alternate history in the ancient world game? :wth:

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I've almost finished my Netherlands and game and it looks like I'm going to end at the 6th greatest power which is cool for my first game. My main downfall is colonization. How do I build up more colony points? I never actively "used" any but they remained mostly negative or too low to spend on any kind of claims in Africa. I think I didn't rush the right techs fast enough, but there are still territories I can't take because of no points. What do I need to do?

On the upside I rushed the last cultural prestige tech, two inventions popped almost instantaneously, one of my scientists got the Nobel Prize in medicine, another prestige invention popped, and then ANOTHER scientist won the Nobel prize in physics! We also helped defeat France and Austria-Hungary in the second crisis to date. (Thank god for all my spheres of influence.) A banner year for the Netherlands.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Rome 2 would be just incredible if its dynastic based like CK 2

Id love it if it went up to CK2's Old Gods start date. Have events representing the fall of rome and maybe this time you can stop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

synertia posted:

I've almost finished my Netherlands and game and it looks like I'm going to end at the 6th greatest power which is cool for my first game. My main downfall is colonization. How do I build up more colony points? I never actively "used" any but they remained mostly negative or too low to spend on any kind of claims in Africa. I think I didn't rush the right techs fast enough, but there are still territories I can't take because of no points. What do I need to do?

On the upside I rushed the last cultural prestige tech, two inventions popped almost instantaneously, one of my scientists got the Nobel Prize in medicine, another prestige invention popped, and then ANOTHER scientist won the Nobel prize in physics! We also helped defeat France and Austria-Hungary in the second crisis to date. (Thank god for all my spheres of influence.) A banner year for the Netherlands.

Naval base levels are the biggest (maybe only?) source of colonial points. Gotta keep those suckers upgraded for colonization.

• Locked thread