Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

re: Molly It's at least possible that Molly may still be "human" for the value of human as described in the Dresdenverse, i.e., retaining free will. It would take a little retconning but Butcher could swing it depending.

Also Oh God is Charity every going to freak out. Maybe Butcher doesn't know how to write that scene without having Charity try to straight-up kill Dresden.

It may not be an instant change. Remember when Mab first showed up to give Harry a job, he rolled an iron nail toward her. She jumped back just before it touched her. But then, she's been Winter's Queen for centuries, if not millennia. It could take a while before the "fae-ness" begins to overcome Molly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Vicissitude posted:

It may not be an instant change.

I'm pretty sure this is it. Not for any logical reason, but just because it makes sense from a narrative perspective. It's no fun if Molly is just suddenly one thing or another, you gotta have enough time to really twist that knife.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Vicissitude posted:

It may not be an instant change. Remember when Mab first showed up to give Harry a job, he rolled an iron nail toward her. She jumped back just before it touched her. But then, she's been Winter's Queen for centuries, if not millennia. It could take a while before the "fae-ness" begins to overcome Molly.

Or even a long term one. Maeve was able to hold a pistol on the island with no problems. Though that could be nemesis there

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

I'm pretty sure this is it. Not for any logical reason, but just because it makes sense from a narrative perspective. It's no fun if Molly is just suddenly one thing or another, you gotta have enough time to really twist that knife.

It's also kind of set up by Lily. Even though Dresden wasn't around her all the time, every time he saw her he mentioned how she had changed from the last time and that was spread over several years. And if I remember right, he saw her right after she gained the mantle, and all that had changed was her hair color at that point so I think it's safe to say that it's a slow transition.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Fried Chicken posted:

Or even a long term one. Maeve was able to hold a pistol on the island with no problems. Though that could be nemesis there

I don't remember the details of that scene, but there are plenty of guns with a polymer frame that a fae could probably use if somebody loaded the thing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

chellesandcheese posted:

It's also kind of set up by Lily. Even though Dresden wasn't around her all the time, every time he saw her he mentioned how she had changed from the last time and that was spread over several years. And if I remember right, he saw her right after she gained the mantle, and all that had changed was her hair color at that point so I think it's safe to say that it's a slow transition.

And Lily was a Changeling to begin with and Chose her Fae side.

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

Are you talking about after she inherited the mantle? Because she definitely hadn't done that before she got it. She was a Winter changeling after all. Pretty sure she had to be mortal to receive the knight's mantle since that's the whole point of the knight to begin with.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

mrking posted:

I don't remember the details of that scene, but there are plenty of guns with a polymer frame that a fae could probably use if somebody loaded the thing.

Yeah and before she produced it Maeve was hiding the gun somewhere. Whereever it was there was probably some contact with her skin, It had to have been made of some composite.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

She didn't so much Choose as having the choice made for her when she got the ladyship.

quote:

Yeah and before she produced it Maeve was hiding the gun somewhere. Whereever it was there was probably some contact with her skin, It had to have been made of some composite.

It doesn't have to be nonmetallic, just nonferric. Heck, even though we don't use it anymore, gunmetal is copper (88%), tin (10%), and zinc (2%).

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 13, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

chellesandcheese posted:

Are you talking about after she inherited the mantle? Because she definitely hadn't done that before she got it. She was a Winter changeling after all. Pretty sure she had to be mortal to receive the knight's mantle since that's the whole point of the knight to begin with.

Yeah, after. There's a Butcher quote somewhere that Lily Chose Fae and Fix Chose human.

I think the exact process there is going to get a little ret-conned anyway, otherwise Molly becoming the Lady doesn't make sense at all since she was pure human.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Yeah, after. There's a Butcher quote somewhere that Lily Chose Fae and Fix Chose human.

I think the exact process there is going to get a little ret-conned anyway, otherwise Molly becoming the Lady doesn't make sense at all since she was pure human.

I'm thinking we just weren't given the critical knowledge about the criteria. We know there are conditions to be met, but not what they might be. We know you can be prepared for the 'job' but not how.

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

OK, that makes a little more sense.

Well, that depends. Mab claims to have been mortal once at the end of Cold Days. It's entirely possible that it's happened before and we just don't know about it yet. Of course she also could have just been a changeling too, but it seemed like a more important revelation than that

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

veekie posted:

I'm thinking we just weren't given the critical knowledge about the criteria. We know there are conditions to be met, but not what they might be. We know you can be prepared for the 'job' but not how.

There are pretty authoritative sources (Bob?) in the early books saying the Ladies are Fae and the knights are human, flat out, but considering the Ladies are oooooold the retcon is going to be that Bob was simply wrong is my guess. Bob knows almost everything but some knowledge is older than he.

DrFrankenStrudel
May 14, 2012

Where am I? I don't even know anymore...
Something Harry's mentioned a few times in the past couple books is that while Bob is a talking encyclopedia he doesn't know everything and what he does know is limited by his lack of a soul.

A quote comes to mind regarding soulfire and the initial explanation bob gave about it.
Maybe it's a retcon but Jim usually works it in far enough ahead of the reveal to feel organic.

Edit: quoted the wrong post.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also who knows what Lea was up to when she prepared Molly as a vessel.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

mrking posted:

Unless you're using a military rifle, bullet casings are almost never made of steel. There's a reason they're called brass after all. So, that wouldn't be a problem either.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Not to mention, Mab herself actually handles the gun at one point.

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Not to mention, Mab herself actually handles the gun at one point.

There are a great many ceramic based gun coating products available and aluminium alloy frame pistols. Even the most polymer filled pistol generally must have a metal slide in order to function properly. There are just lots and lots and lots of ways to keep your skin from touching steel, either by covering it in something or using a different metal.

Non gun chat: I managed to get my parents addicted to the audiobooks, and since I share an Audible account I get to listen to the soothing voice of Marsters for the grand price of zero. I am re-listening to the audiobooks, and I am considering saving Changes for my motorcycle road trip up from LA to Seattle in a few weeks. Currently about halfway through Turn Coat, having just finished up Small Favor last night. I have a problem.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

You guys missed the most important part of that interview: "Book fifteen is called Skin Game. It will be out either late this year or early next year, depending on how quickly the publisher wants to rush it through production."

Awww yeah :toot:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

There are pretty authoritative sources (Bob?) in the early books saying the Ladies are Fae and the knights are human, flat out, but considering the Ladies are oooooold the retcon is going to be that Bob was simply wrong is my guess. Bob knows almost everything but some knowledge is older than he.

Bob is just an information gathering tool, and while he's pretty experienced, there's nothing he could do if he has the wrong info.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

veekie posted:

Bob is just an information gathering tool, and while he's pretty experienced, there's nothing he could do if he has the wrong info.

His knowledge on the fae can be suspect because its all second hand due to Mab and others wanting to kill him for what he knows.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

DJ_Ferret posted:

Non gun chat: I managed to get my parents addicted to the audiobooks, and since I share an Audible account I get to listen to the soothing voice of Marsters for the grand price of zero. I am re-listening to the audiobooks, and I am considering saving Changes for my motorcycle road trip up from LA to Seattle in a few weeks. Currently about halfway through Turn Coat, having just finished up Small Favor last night. I have a problem.

Changes might not be the best book to listen to when you're needing to keep your attention on the road.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ramadu posted:

You guys missed the most important part of that interview: "Book fifteen is called Skin Game. It will be out either late this year or early next year, depending on how quickly the publisher wants to rush it through production."

We might end up getting Molly's novella and Skin Game within about a month of each other.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ramadu posted:

It's not coming out this year. As of his Dragon*Con panel two weeks ago (about the time that interview was conducted), he hadn't even finished writing it.

He probably said that because it's been his stock answer for the last few months.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
Are there any Dresden-esque web serials? I mean, superhero web serials like Worm are great and all, but I'd like to get my urban fantasy fix online.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Rereading the series, something in Grave Peril already caught my eye - when Michael is trying to bargain with Lea to get Amoracchius back, Lea's first offer was the sword in exchange for his eldest daughter.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Was there ever any speculation as to what the thing inside Harry's Head is?

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Dravs posted:

Loads.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Gygaxian posted:

Are there any Dresden-esque web serials? I mean, superhero web serials like Worm are great and all, but I'd like to get my urban fantasy fix online.

Worm is the only decent web serial I've found period, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Dravs posted:

The most common one is that it's Lash using the 'wizards regenerate instead of just healing' thing to come back from the dead.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Stroth posted:

The most common one is that it's Lash using the 'wizards regenerate instead of just healing' thing to come back from the dead.

Probably the most likely since after Lash sacrificed herself, Butters(?) told Harry that part of his brain was literally blasted or burned out. This was, it seems, the part of his brain where Lash was stored. If that part of the brain is healing...

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Stroth posted:

Would that account for killing him though? I was pretty sure that all she could do was tempt him, not physically harm him.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Tres Burritos posted:

Would that account for killing him though? I was pretty sure that all she could do was tempt him, not physically harm him.

I'm guessing that its not a conscious thing. Just having another consciousness regenerating itself in his brain is causing all sorts of problems.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

jivjov posted:

I'm guessing that its not a conscious thing. Just having another consciousness regenerating itself in his brain is causing all sorts of problems.

Or, regenerated and given an independent existence by having been named, her first act upon recovery is to materialize, which burns him out as his soul is used to catalyze a new angel

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

veekie posted:

Or, regenerated and given an independent existence by having been named, her first act upon recovery is to materialize, which burns him out as his soul is used to catalyze a new angel

Can you just start co-authoring Dresden Files? I want more of what you just said there.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

veekie posted:

poo poo, he does have the power of soulfire. :sweatdrop:

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Remember back in Ghost Story how Harry is visited by 3 creatures in the graveyard? Lea is serving as the proxy for Mab, Demonreach is there under a disguise, and finally we get a creature posing as the little girl Inaz. She's polite, calls Harry a monster, and after she leaves Demonreach pops in to say her soul is made of twisted lines. There's no doubt in my mind that little girl was the parasite. Add to this Butcher apparently said in an interview that Lash/Lasciel appeared in Ghost Story by a different name, and the pieces fit together

The parasite is also perfectly setting up for the next book. It looks like we're embracing the Greek theme, what with the plan to raid Hades. The Parasite will "burst" out of Harry's head to make a new entity Athena style

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

keiran_helcyan posted:

Rereading the series, something in Grave Peril already caught my eye - when Michael is trying to bargain with Lea to get Amoracchius back, Lea's first offer was the sword in exchange for his eldest daughter.

According to Butcher, that was a generic "for your first born" fairy offer that he later decided to run with when he got the green light for more books

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012
In the first few chapters of Skin Game that Butcher has put out does Mab ever directly say that the parasite is what will kill Harry without help? Or does she mention the parasite and then mention that he'll be dead in three days with the false implication that the parasite will kill him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Fried Chicken posted:

According to Butcher, that was a generic "for your first born" fairy offer that he later decided to run with when he got the green light for more books

Grave Peril had a lot of stuff like that. Plenty of exploitable hooks that you can post-hoc read extra meaning into.

• Locked thread