Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Since LinkedIn is currently making GBS threads itself, I'd like to bring back the discussion on "particular things of note I did that were above and beyond in my position."

I worked to reduce the cost of servicing one of our largest customers by 50% over the course of two years. Cutting their service calls down from over 40 in one calendar year to less than 5.

Where would be the best place to put a blurb about that in my profile? I could stick it under the experience category but it seems like it would get lost among the job description, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Turns out it was just a glitch. They said on Twitter they're working on fixing it, and since then, my profile is back to normal. Funny thing though, their Help Center was unavailable, but luckily Google sent me to Twitter.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I'm not experiencing an issue as far as I know. My best advice would be to write up a support ticket and submit it to their help team.

Or just wait and see if it goes away on its own from people most likely working on fixing it already.

Is this an issue brand new as of today? If it is there's a chance that people at LinkedIn aren't aware of it if it's a spotty problem. If 3-5 goons alone are affected though I doubt it's an "intermittent issue" and probably affects a significant number of other people.

E: gently caress me, didn't notice new page

As far as putting "look at me!'s" in your profile, measure once, cut twice. If it's specific to jobs that you would prefer or are applying for, put it in BOTH your professional summary at the top of your profile as well as under the specific work history entry that it's relevant for. You want people to notice those kinds of discriminators.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 3, 2013

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

Step 1) Join a gently caress ton of a groups related to your field. Dont bother reaiding or looking at them again, theyre just to rank in search.
Step 2) I did the following searches:
Recruiter narrowed to [My area],[My State]
Technical Recruiter narrowed to [My area],[My State]
Recruiter narrowed to [My University Alumni] (because you can add all of them as connections)
Engineering Recruiter not narrowed to anything.
Step 3) Add people til it makes you fill in captchas.
Step 4) When they add you, contact them about placement.
Step 5) Profit

I did this late last night and have spoken to one this morning on the phone with about 4 reply emails.

I already have about 20+ area recruiters as connections on LinkedIn that place people in my field. Most of them I picked up not through LinkedIn, but weirdly enough, through Careerbuilder (with a minority from Monster). Is anyone having any similar luck with other post-your-resume sites? I have only very recently had any luck with LinkedIn.

By the way, if you are on a resume site, update the resume once a month even if it is the same document. Otherwise you won't get calls. Expect an insurance company to send you an automail within the hour that you upload--ignore that and wait for actual recruiters.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I already have about 20+ area recruiters as connections on LinkedIn that place people in my field. Most of them I picked up not through LinkedIn, but weirdly enough, through Careerbuilder (with a minority from Monster). Is anyone having any similar luck with other post-your-resume sites? I have only very recently had any luck with LinkedIn.

By the way, if you are on a resume site, update the resume once a month even if it is the same document. Otherwise you won't get calls. Expect an insurance company to send you an automail within the hour that you upload--ignore that and wait for actual recruiters.

I think Careerbuilder recently changed its name to "jobserious" or something like that (unless it was a different company). I'm not getting emails from Careerbuilder anymore, in any case.

Jobserious and especially ZipRecruiter both seem to be decent resume-uploading sites. Applying to jobs on ZipRecruiter in addition to Linkedin is especially a good option, a lot of the recruiters on Linkedin cross-post jobs to ZipRecruiter so in some cases it may be a shortcut to getting the jobs you want. Check it out if you're interested. It does still lack the subtle personal engagement that you get with Linkedin, but the efficiency of sniffing out the specific jobs you're most interested in might appeal more to others.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Two things:

1) I'm running out of things to add to my profile to get my completion up. The improve my profile button is now telling me to add hilarious things like volunteer experience and causes I care about. Is completion percent also tied to how many connections you have? Because I don't have so many.

2) How do you get an easy to remember profile URL like I've seen some people with, e.g., http://www.linkedin.com/in/timcook? I don't even know where I can set a username like that and my public URL is something like http://www.linkedin.com/pub/joe-schmoe/12/345/6q7, which is really ugly and forgetful.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Boris Galerkin posted:

2) How do you get an easy to remember profile URL like I've seen some people with, e.g., http://www.linkedin.com/in/timcook? I don't even know where I can set a username like that and my public URL is something like http://www.linkedin.com/pub/joe-schmoe/12/345/6q7, which is really ugly and forgetful.

edit profile -> find the link under your profile and hit edit -> look to the right for 'customise your pbulic profile URL' and change it to whatever you so desire

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Two things:

1) I'm running out of things to add to my profile to get my completion up. The improve my profile button is now telling me to add hilarious things like volunteer experience and causes I care about. Is completion percent also tied to how many connections you have? Because I don't have so many.

I think the threshold is 50 connections. If you have fewer than that it will say your profile is incomplete.

-Bob

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Two things:

Thanks for this. Been trying to pretty up my google results.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

HiroProtagonist posted:

I think Careerbuilder recently changed its name to "jobserious" or something like that (unless it was a different company). I'm not getting emails from Careerbuilder anymore, in any case.

Jobserious and especially ZipRecruiter both seem to be decent resume-uploading sites. Applying to jobs on ZipRecruiter in addition to Linkedin is especially a good option, a lot of the recruiters on Linkedin cross-post jobs to ZipRecruiter so in some cases it may be a shortcut to getting the jobs you want. Check it out if you're interested. It does still lack the subtle personal engagement that you get with Linkedin, but the efficiency of sniffing out the specific jobs you're most interested in might appeal more to others.

Neither of those sites appear to have resume-uploading features. Jobserious appears to be a headhunter. (and it hasn't replaced Careerbuilder) ZipRecruiter just does job listings.

I tried signing up for job alerts at Jobserious, and it sent me to a page with a logo that appears to indicate it is the same company as ZipRecruiter. https://www.zipalerts.com/login They both also had the same weird autodetected location data in their alert forms.

When I see the same product rebranded and things redirecting to one another, I think click-bait link farm articles and phishing. Those sites seem really sleazy to me.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I can't speak to jobserious but ZipRecruiter is definitely legit, I know for sure the in-house recruiter at one of my past jobs used it a lot.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Hahah why are all these random connections recommending me for skills they know nothing about? I didn't ask them to.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
It sometimes shows up in the top of your linkedin page to rate 4 random people for 4 random skills. Sometimes when I zone out, I'll blow through 40+ skill recommendations for people I know. I dont think anyone cares about that though.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Doghouse posted:

Hahah why are all these random connections recommending me for skills they know nothing about? I didn't ask them to.

My highest recommendation is Video Games. I am not in the games industry. I'm hoping this does not count against me.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
What advice is out there for someone whose skill set is "knows lots of things and is great with people" and who cares absolutely zero about what kind of job he has, as long as it is not manual labor or telemarketing and does not translate to "secretary" (and is in the geographical area I want)?

I had these amazing delusions about working in academia or government earlier this year, but then I realized I have no interest in moving to rural Mississippi to have a good job if I could stay put and have a decent one. But again, the problem is "I have no field" so I have no idea how to even go about this.

(Most of my job experience is at universities, local government, and political campaigns, if it matters)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do I add recruiters as connections? I don't know if I posted it in this thread or not but none of my friends use LinkedIn to get jobs and only a very small handful have an account just to have one but never use it. Everybody I know gets jobs and networks the old fashioned way ("Hey former classmate/colleague Dave, I'm looking for a job in out in Nantucket, can I shoot you my resume and tell me if I'd fit in anywhere at Acme?" or "Hey Dave, know anyone over in Acme I could get in contact with?") so I don't have a whole lot of connections on LinkedIn. If I search for "engineer recruiter" for example everybody comes up in the "3rd/not connected" category and then when I try to connect it tells me I can't connect to people I don't know.

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do I add recruiters as connections? I don't know if I posted it in this thread or not but none of my friends use LinkedIn to get jobs and only a very small handful have an account just to have one but never use it. Everybody I know gets jobs and networks the old fashioned way ("Hey former classmate/colleague Dave, I'm looking for a job in out in Nantucket, can I shoot you my resume and tell me if I'd fit in anywhere at Acme?" or "Hey Dave, know anyone over in Acme I could get in contact with?") so I don't have a whole lot of connections on LinkedIn. If I search for "engineer recruiter" for example everybody comes up in the "3rd/not connected" category and then when I try to connect it tells me I can't connect to people I don't know.

First, search for family, friends, classmates and current/former coworkers to connect with.
Then join some groups for Engineers in {your city}, or {Your City} Jobs, {Your school} alumni, etc.
Look at the list of people who are also members of those groups and request to connect with some of them.
As you build up more connections it kind of snowballs and you'll start to have more and more first/second connections that you can also connect with.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

RTB posted:

First, search for family, friends, classmates and current/former coworkers to connect with.
Then join some groups for Engineers in {your city}, or {Your City} Jobs, {Your school} alumni, etc.
Look at the list of people who are also members of those groups and request to connect with some of them.
As you build up more connections it kind of snowballs and you'll start to have more and more first/second connections that you can also connect with.

Trust me, I've already added every friend, classmate, colleague I know. I've requested to join some groups. Are you telling me to just add random people that are vaguely connected to me (alumni I never met, group member I never met…)?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I just request people I don't know as "Friends" and include a message that I'm looking for work, etc.

Worst thing that'll happen is they ignore your request.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I wrote a fair bit of :words: about how to do exactly that in the OP. Take a look and feel free to ask any questions you have when you're done.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Boris Galerkin posted:

Trust me, I've already added every friend, classmate, colleague I know. I've requested to join some groups. Are you telling me to just add random people that are vaguely connected to me (alumni I never met, group member I never met…)?

I don't typically do the "random people" thing. I've gotten in the habit of every week or so going to the People You May Know page and just scrolling through. If you see a name and think "Hey I recognize that name", then send a request. Sending a request from this page also doesn't make you choose how you know them, so you can go through a bunch in a short amount of time. As was mentioned in the OP, this isn't about people you're friends with.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Boris Galerkin posted:

CarForumPoster posted:

Step 1) Join a gently caress ton of a groups related to your field. Dont bother reaiding or looking at them again, theyre just to rank in search.
Step 2) I did the following searches:
Recruiter narrowed to [My area],[My State]
Technical Recruiter narrowed to [My area],[My State]
Recruiter narrowed to [My University Alumni] (because you can add all of them as connections)
Engineering Recruiter not narrowed to anything.
Step 3) Add people til it makes you fill in captchas.
Step 4) When they add you, contact them about placement.
Step 5) Profit

I did this late last night and have spoken to one this morning on the phone with about 4 reply emails.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Ok that's great and all but the problem is also a technical one. It doesn't let me add recruiters I have no connection to (which are all of them since I'm targeting certain areas I've never lived or studied in). The website literally tells me not to add people I don't know.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Ok that's great and all but the problem is also a technical one. It doesn't let me add recruiters I have no connection to (which are all of them since I'm targeting certain areas I've never lived or studied in). The website literally tells me not to add people I don't know.

It allows you to add recruiters in the same group as you.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Rurutia posted:

It allows you to add recruiters in the same group as you.

This.

That is why you do the things I said in the order I said them. Also can search for LION which is linkedin open network. Once the first round of recruiters add you you will be 2nd connection to a huge number of people.

BTW you click "friend" to not have to answer an email. I figured you'd figure that out but you didn't figure out how to add people you don't know despite strategies being laid out in several posts.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

CarForumPoster posted:

This.

That is why you do the things I said in the order I said them. Also can search for LION which is linkedin open network. Once the first round of recruiters add you you will be 2nd connection to a huge number of people.

BTW you click "friend" to not have to answer an email. I figured you'd figure that out but you didn't figure out how to add people you don't know despite strategies being laid out in several posts.

I thought about choosing "friend" but I wasn't sure if they'd get an email saying something like "Your FRIEND _______ wanted to add you as a contact" and then wonder "who the gently caress is this guy?"

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

LinkedIn has changed their internal application method to only allow the uploading of one Resume/Cover Letter? I admit I haven't tried to ctrl+click to upload multiple files...

If we are limited to one file should we mash both together or use our linkedin profile as the resume and upload a cover letter to go with it?

edit: And multiple upload is not possible.

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 20, 2013

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

Boris Galerkin posted:

Over-thinking it. Find people in the Stairmasters group with 500+ connections. Send a connection request based on the group. At least one of them will accept your connection :ninja: and then you'll have a whole bunch of recruiters that you are 2nd degree with.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Does it look bad or do people even care if I have a ton of contacts? I added a few recruiters in my field and like y'all said I can now add more recruiters with those second degree contacts. What if I just added recruiters who weren't necessarily in my field, just to have more connections? Is that fine?

Edit: And let's use Google as an example. If I'm connections with one Google recruiter then should I bother adding the other Google recruiters that show up when I search? If I add them should I also start talking to them about positions (if I'm already talking to the first guy)?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 20, 2013

Disco Dickdog
Nov 30, 2007
I recently got internal recommendations for a couple of positions at the same company. Is it okay to message and add someone who I think is the recruiter for one of those positions, basically just saying "Hi, I applied online for position XXXXXX, please make sure to consider me."? What should that message look like, or is that strategy likely to backfire?

Thanks!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does it look bad or do people even care if I have a ton of contacts? I added a few recruiters in my field and like y'all said I can now add more recruiters with those second degree contacts. What if I just added recruiters who weren't necessarily in my field, just to have more connections? Is that fine?

Edit: And let's use Google as an example. If I'm connections with one Google recruiter then should I bother adding the other Google recruiters that show up when I search? If I add them should I also start talking to them about positions (if I'm already talking to the first guy)?

These are some odd questions. No, why would anyone care if you have a ton of contacts? At most people will go "huh, look at that guy with over 500 contacts." If you're adding recruiters that aren't in your field just to add them, it depends on your ultimate purpose for doing so. If that is to have broader reach and visibility, at worst, you're wasting your time but doing no other harm. And at best, you're doing exactly what you intended to do.

As for the second part, go ahead, why not? If they'll talk to you, then talk to as many people as you'd like. Add whomever you like. That's really the bottom line. The "best" networking is really measured in how successful you are in achieving your goals. Networking is not a goal in and of itself, it's a very helpful means to an end.

Disco Dickdog posted:

I recently got internal recommendations for a couple of positions at the same company. Is it okay to message and add someone who I think is the recruiter for one of those positions, basically just saying "Hi, I applied online for position XXXXXX, please make sure to consider me."? What should that message look like, or is that strategy likely to backfire?

Thanks!

If you have internal recommendations, why not have those people go to the recruiter themselves and then tell you who it is (or at least send the recruiter an email themselves and forward it to you afterwards) so you have their contact info?

Then all you need to do is send a message to the recruiter once your internal contacts let you know they spoke to the recruiter and recommended you to them. Something like "Hi, I'm YOURNAME, and my friend XXXXXXX told me he spoke to you about this position YYYYYYYY that he thinks I'd be great for. I already applied online to kick things off, but I attached my resume here for your convenience. I look forward to speaking with you in the future about this opportunity. Thanks, YOURNAME."

Disco Dickdog
Nov 30, 2007

HiroProtagonist posted:

If you have internal recommendations, why not have those people go to the recruiter themselves and then tell you who it is (or at least send the recruiter an email themselves and forward it to you afterwards) so you have their contact info?

Then all you need to do is send a message to the recruiter once your internal contacts let you know they spoke to the recruiter and recommended you to them. Something like "Hi, I'm YOURNAME, and my friend XXXXXXX told me he spoke to you about this position YYYYYYYY that he thinks I'd be great for. I already applied online to kick things off, but I attached my resume here for your convenience. I look forward to speaking with you in the future about this opportunity. Thanks, YOURNAME."

It's a pretty big company, and the 'internal recommendation' is just a peoplesoft note on my online application, as far as I can tell. (I told my friend which roles I was interested in on the company's job bank, then he sent me emails with special links to each position) The roles I applied for are both similar to my friend's job, but on different teams, and each team seems to have their own recruiters, so I'm not sure if he knows the recruiters for other teams.

Edit: I am also applying for similar roles with other companies without the internal recommendations. If I find the recruiters for those teams, is it reasonable to add/contact them directly as well?

Disco Dickdog fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 20, 2013

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is it appropriate to put a TA position on your profile? It's kind of a fringe area; it was treated like a job, but on the other hand it could be considered just a requirement I had to get through to fund my degree.

If yes, how will I break it down? By course? for example:
  • University of Goontown
    Teaching Assistant, Zoology
    Sept. 2010 - sept. 2012

• University of Goontown
    Teaching Assistant, Introductory Biology
    Jan. 2012 - Apr. 2012

or is it best to just leave it as a single Teaching Assistant position between 2010 and 2013, with the details in the description?

EDIT: Then again, the field says "Experience," and not "Previous employment" or whatever. Am I interpreting that too literally? :ohdear:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 24, 2013

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It is as close to a job as most graduate students get, and I do not think I have ever seen someone not list teaching assistant experience whenever it is possible to list. I certainly would if I had any!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Quarex posted:

It is as close to a job as most graduate students get, and I do not think I have ever seen someone not list teaching assistant experience whenever it is possible to list. I certainly would if I had any!

Sounds good! Any recommendations on how to organize it?

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Mak0rz posted:

Sounds good! Any recommendations on how to organize it?

I've dropped mine off my profile, but I just had one spot for TAing, and then listed the courses as bullet points.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

OK, so I add the recruiters and then message then when they add me that I'm a blah blah blah and searching for a blah blah blah. They respond back and ask me to send them my resume.

Should I also be sending a cover letter to them at this point?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

OK, so I add the recruiters and then message then when they add me that I'm a blah blah blah and searching for a blah blah blah. They respond back and ask me to send them my resume.

Never send a cover letter unless one is asked for.

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I would treat the body of your email as a “cover letter.” Mention you connected on LinkedIn and are sending your resume to be considered for any [job type] positions they’re looking to fill. If you want to add a summary of your skills and experience, just keep it to one paragraph (usually under 5 sentences).

Sidebar:
When sending a resume to recruiters – Always say something in the email like “Please contact me to discuss before sending my resume to companies.”

There are some unscrupulous recruiters who will shotgun your resume out to every company in town. This becomes a problem when you apply at that company on your own.
Since they received your resume from the recruiter first, the company would have to pay the recruiter’s fee if they hire you. Sometimes that’s enough for them to choose someone else.

-Bob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Thanks for the answers. One last question: I'm going through my emails and one recruiter I contacted asked me to "send your resume in Word to _______" and I've been avoiding that one because my resume is a pdf and I don't even have Word installed. Is this just office talk (like "pinging/let me ping him" and "touch base" etc) or does this person actually want a Word document and why?

• Locked thread