Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

humannature posted:

I use WoC heads and they work pretty well. Even used a horned helmet on my biker lord. I wanted to add a cloak to a foot power armor chaos lord. It seems like WoC cloaks would be a hard conversion. Are there any good cloak bits to look for?

Buy a box of Marauders. They have lot of fur cloaks. Also all the parts can be used as bits, and you can do like I do and get 20 cultists out of the deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SRM posted:

THe plastic Space Marine captain has a cape backpack, as does the old Space Wolves sprue which you can get from GW for cheapish. The newer one might have a wolf skin cape too.

Dark Vengeance box, if you're feeling like a bad enough dude.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Just got back from playing against that gun line Tau army, it was a close draw but I had to say I was quite lucky and he was still learning some aspects of Tau.

He got first turn but I deployed behind buildings and ruins and rolled night fighting, as you can guess I did not have to worry too much about his shooting phase. it also helped that he aimed everything at my landraider and vindicators which got a good cover save.

Managing to get all my transports through the first turn, I moved flat out with everyting I had hugging cover as much as I could (gods bless dozer blades) and keeping all my Rhinos behind the Land raider and Vinds.

As such I was able to get my raider and all 4 rhinos into his weak flank and with the help of dirge castors managed to get a few vital charges in without Tay overwatch.

In the end my MoK chosen and CSM squads could not bring his riptide down, as such he managed to contest a vital objective, winning him the game.

MVP units: the land raider who just shuck off every broadside rail gun that hit it.
MVP upgrade: Dirge casters, brilliant against Tau!

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 13, 2013

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That makes me want to run a Storm Eagle + Spartan Assault Tank list.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Goat Bouillabaise posted:

I used plastic Warriors of Chaos as my crusaders. They look armored up, tough as nails, and I also shaved down the shields to host Inquisitorial symbols. An example:

EDIT: Also you get a shitload of them. Those are heads from the Blood Angels Sanguinary Guard sprue. I used these two model sprues to create Thousand Sons as well (armored body, carrying bolters instead of swords, closed fists, golden masks and power armor backpacks)

I've been trying to find reasons not to start a henchmen army, but those are so drat sweet. And I already have the pieces in my bitsbox, gonna have to try. Thanks for the inspiration!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Thundercracker posted:

Buy a box of Marauders. They have lot of fur cloaks. Also all the parts can be used as bits, and you can do like I do and get 20 cultists out of the deal.
Or do what I'm doing and kitbash Marauders, Catachans, Cadians and DV Cultists into a bizarre mishmash of bits that sometimes work, sometimes don't, and always look Chaotic.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
How do people use Dirge Casters effectively? A 6" range means the Rhino needs to sit on top of the unit you want to assault, and the unit must have disembarked the turn before and then hope both unit and Caster are still in range of whatever they wanted to assault a turn later.

Bionic Psyker
Apr 23, 2009
They're obviously best on Land raiders, but you can use the rhino and chase the opponent's squad the turn after, or even never put the assault squad in the rhino, and just use it as mobile terrain to screen the squad, and think of the dirge caster as a bonus if it survives. Also, CSM rhinos are better than SM in my opinion, with 2 combibolters and a havoc, so they can add support fire as well, making them even better fire magnets. Granted, I don't play many games against Tau or Eldar so that might not work well at all against them.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I prefer the combi melta over the havoc launcher. It makes your rhino capable of killing armored targets and you can shoot it after moving forward. I almost killed a monolith once and it felt pretty awesome.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

BULBASAUR posted:

I prefer the combi melta over the havoc launcher. It makes your rhino capable of killing armored targets and you can shoot it after moving forward. I almost killed a monolith once and it felt pretty awesome.

Couldn't you just take both, or are you talking with the assumption of wanting to keep costs down?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I always run a CSM Land Raider. It's bad but I like assault and it's the one transport in the book for that. Sadly it's pretty much limited to carrying Berserkers, since it can't hold a decent squad of 5 termis plus an HQ.

I always keep it moving so it's not wasted when the enemy lands a drop pod within 6 inches and insta-kills it with melta in the first turn. That said, the dozer blade and dirge caster are both quite good. Both times I played Tau the player was unlucky with his railcannons (despite having the upgrade character that gives tank hunter), meaning I got to park it in front of the gunline and charge it without being shot once back. I even have somewhat better-than-average luck with snapshots.

But I'd kill for a variant that was cheaper and had heavy bolter/butcher cannon/baleflamer sponsons.

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I've been trying to find reasons not to start a henchmen army, but those are so drat sweet. And I already have the pieces in my bitsbox, gonna have to try. Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks, man, and they're SO simple! And I just repurposed Wyches for my death cult assassin mob. Shields up front, death from behind them. I used wires and such to make it look like they're all brain-slaved, which makes perfect sense for an Inquisitor. gently caress those xenos, I'mma brainslave 'em and set 'em on their brethren!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

JerryLee posted:

Couldn't you just take both, or are you talking with the assumption of wanting to keep costs down?

To keep costs down. I'd rather have a combi melta and a combi bolter than the havoc launcher tbh, even if the range is nice. My rhinos tend to go into really dangerous areas so they pop the melta within the first or second turn. It don't expect them to last longer than that.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Have you ever wanted to own the Ultra Marines? As in, all of the Ultramarines?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

Anyone fancy calculating how much you save?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Jesus Christ what do you even do when all that arrives on your doorstep and then you either have to paint it all or be the guy who doesn't paint (or just spraycans blue or something). That would be hell for someone like me. It's right out of a children's fable about being careful what you wish for.

Bets on how long it is until the $100,000 Black Templars version comes out?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Lungboy posted:

Talking of allied Daemons, I was given 3 blisters (so 12 models) of old claw-n-titty Daemonettes. What would be a good way to ally them into my CSM?
Herald of Slaanesh, Steed of Slaanesh, Lesser Gift (always turned into Etherblade), Exalted Locus; 100pts on the nose. I would want a bit more than 12 Daemonettes to go with her, but you could keep it to just that if you had to. Basically it's a unit that pops into the enemy backfield and says "hey, pay attention to me!" It's reasonably cheap overall and puts down a lot of threat (averages almost 40 hits -> 10 dead MEQs on the charge) as well as being able to pull all sorts of shenanigans with challenges, since you get to pick who accepts. It can go to ground if it takes heavy firepower and even against Ignores Cover you still get your 5++.

radlum posted:

I was thinking on the same thing for my IG army; add Coteaz and Crusader and DCA as henchmen/troops. Anyone has any advice regarding that?

Also, what do you use as "counts as" Crusaders? The GW ones are good but kind of expensive and I'd like to modify some other mini for that. Empire Men-At-Arms? Warriors of Chaos?
The ones posted upthread are very nice, although personally I converted mine from Scouts. Get some regular Marine heads, cut them in half and do the same with the Scout heads and you can easily replicate the Arbites look, a little bit of further recutting can give them all "power weapons" of whatever type (since you have a bunch of weapon-holding arms anyways and you can either get Combat Shields that a lot of Marine players will have laying around (because they're worthless) or go fancy and get something third-party.

DCA/Crusaders are only gonna work out of a Land Raider or Stormraven, and for IG allies I'd go with the latter if you wanted to do it. (I'm not sure it's a great plan, but it's not an awful one.) Mixing weapons on your DCA is kinda the default, unless you feel really awful about it- a Power Sword and Axe or Maul is my go-to, but I know some people prefer a Lance for their AP3 needs.

AbusePuppy fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 14, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Babe Magnet posted:

Remember when this deal used to be 5,000 dollars instead of 11,000?

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Babe Magnet posted:

How many man-hours would it take to put all of that together? How many points would that be?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I want to see the game that uses that many

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Lungboy posted:

How do people use Dirge Casters effectively? A 6" range means the Rhino needs to sit on top of the unit you want to assault, and the unit must have disembarked the turn before and then hope both unit and Caster are still in range of whatever they wanted to assault a turn later.

It is a numbers game tbh, due to my raider and vindicators taking a lot of fire, my Rhinos managed to survive long enough to pile in six. Thankfully my raider spewed out my terminators they same turn my Rhinos got in range, after they assualted it was a domino effect for the Tau units.

Also Defilers can take dirge castors :v:

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 14, 2013

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

JEEVES420 posted:

I want to see the game that uses that many

Their writing the rules for it now. The working title is "apoc games are for the poors"

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

JerryLee posted:

Jesus Christ what do you even do when all that arrives on your doorstep and then you either have to paint it all or be the guy who doesn't paint (or just spraycans blue or something). That would be hell for someone like me. It's right out of a children's fable about being careful what you wish for.

Bets on how long it is until the $100,000 Black Templars version comes out?

Hive Fleet Kraken bundle, 15 grand. Both packages to be used with Warzone: You own a money tree.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Is that full chapter bundle some sort of litmus test for mental illness or what? Goddamn what a poor life choice.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Ultramega posted:

Is that full chapter bundle some sort of litmus test for mental illness or what? Goddamn what a poor life choice.

if you go calculate what you have spent on this poo poo over the course of a year you might think the same of yourself.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

How many man-hours would it take to put all of that together? How many points would that be?

Enough glue and nothing else to do? I could do it in about a week. Maybe two if I'm being lazy.

Painting it on the other hand...

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

radlum posted:

I was thinking on the same thing for my IG army; add Coteaz and Crusader and DCA as henchmen/troops. Anyone has any advice regarding that?

Also, what do you use as "counts as" Crusaders? The GW ones are good but kind of expensive and I'd like to modify some other mini for that. Empire Men-At-Arms? Warriors of Chaos?

I used Mammoth's Urban War Junkers which aren't a bad deal at 10 pounds for a 4 pack. Though if you look around you might find it on sale elsewhere and save even more like I did. Even got them painted up a few months ago in the oath thread:

I'm also using a bunch of (mostly) Reaper minis for my actual DCA/Crusader squad. Crap quality pic incoming

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

JEEVES420 posted:

if you go calculate what you have spent on this poo poo over the course of a year you might think the same of yourself.

So buying a few hundred dollars worth of models over the course of a year is the same as buying an entire chapter of mandolls in one go.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

I used Mammoth's Urban War Junkers which aren't a bad deal at 10 pounds for a 4 pack. Though if you look around you might find it on sale elsewhere and save even more like I did. Even got them painted up a few months ago in the oath thread:

I'm also using a bunch of (mostly) Reaper minis for my actual DCA/Crusader squad. Crap quality pic incoming

Dude these are great.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Babe Magnet posted:

Where are the Thunderhawks? :colbert:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Think they'd have thrown in a squad of Scout Bikers, too. Even GW forgets they exist.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

Babe Magnet posted:

So THAT's what they are talking about on the IC's and Overlords when they discuss spending a full 'Carl' on the hobby... :cawg:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

humannature posted:

That's what I said earlier :colbert: You can still run a big unit of bikes and 2x heldrakes, but believe me I understand running a less-than-optimal force for fun. I don't take bikes (aside from my lord) or heldrakes. I even have a sweet chaos land raider. Maybe the next codex will have better internal balance.

I know. :v: I only have the one heldrake, but I will rock two LRs full of zerks for fun, and it is fun. :getin:

After I finish redoing my Eldar, I'm going to turn my attention back to my CSM and add a squad of bikes and a squad of raptors.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

That's not built using my catalogue.

Huh; well I'm not too surprised as there were a couple of 6th edition SM catalogs I got from the generic 40k repo; I thought I had deleted all of the ones that were obviously wrong (100pt librarians) and this was the only one left.

Edit: Your catalogue seems to have 100pt librarians; camo cloak cost doesn't update as you add or remove scouts, but that seems more likely to be a battlescribe bug than a catalogue issue

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 14, 2013

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Babe Magnet posted:

I like that they made sure to include a quantity drop down on the order page. You know in case you need three or four of them.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Bucnasti posted:

I like that they made sure to include a quantity drop down on the order page. You know in case you need three or four of them.

Why stop at a chapter when you could have a whole Legion? :v:

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Was looking for something to watch and came across this battle report and they brought up a rule I hadn't heard of till now around the 9 minute mark.

Helldrake comes on and torrents a bunch lootas and a megawarboss in ruins. The warboss is the front hit of the flame template and the ork player declares that he does get a save since the opponent has to go through his warboss first. The wounds are all rolled on his warboss, he saves all but two and LoSir's them to the lootas beside it.

I don't have my book handy but is that really how it should go? It seems an odd way to interpret the "remove models from the front first" rule when a combined mob is being hit.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I haven't looked at the video, but if nothing else you have to LoSir before you roll saves (this was clarified in a FAQ, I believe) so they're wrong on at least one count already.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The Warboss would take the wounds first if he's closest, but if he failed saves they wouldn't go onto the other dudes. He'd take em, fair and square.

I also wish they'd do a one-click bundle for the entire Crimson Fists chapter, since it would basically just be two boxes of Sternguard and Pedro Kantor :allears:

YOLO

SRM fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 14, 2013

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

SRM posted:

The Warboss would take the wounds first if he's closest, but if he failed saves they wouldn't go onto the other dudes. He'd take em, fair and square.

I also wish they'd do a one-click bundle for the entire Crimson Fists chapter, since it would basically just be two boxes of Sternguard and Pedro Kantor :allears:

YOLO

I double dog dare you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Ultramega posted:

Though someone will inevitably buy it, it isn't really intended to be purchased. It's like the diamond bra from Victorias Secret... Except for nerds.

• Locked thread