Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Stymie posted:

the true nature of all hierarchical organization is revealed in the mirror universe episodes where the "evil" terran empire has to be cartoonishly so to have any sort of contrast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
evil spock was pretty chill

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
people would rather move to rape planet or put on a red shirt and stand around in a hallway for 10 years than live as a civilian in the federation which tells you just about everything you need to know about the federation

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

angry_keebler posted:

people would rather move to rape planet or put on a red shirt and stand around in a hallway for 10 years than live as a civilian in the federation which tells you just about everything you need to know about the federation

we don't really see many fed civilians outside of conflict scenarios which is just more support for the theory that starfleet is just the federation's utopian asylum for all the autists, imperialists and creeps

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the only civilians we ever really see are picard and sisko's family and they run a vineyard and a cajun restaurant respectively and each have a disdain for the infinite food supply that federation tech provides

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
I miss Stargate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYnzZ2rczSo

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

once you start seeing anti-semitic stereotypes in the ferengi on ds9 it's hard to stop

i still love those episodes but it's the uncomfortable, nostalgia-driven kind of love that europeans have for the racist volumes of the tin-tin series

yeah it's kind of a grey area. most of their behavior can just be classified as greedy, it doesn't necessarily need to be anti-semitic. unless i've missed some stuff.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

yeah it's kind of a grey area. most of their behavior can just be classified as greedy, it doesn't necessarily need to be anti-semitic. unless i've missed some stuff.

Did you miss the part where all Ferengi have big noses and big ears?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

I mean come on

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Smdh otherwise

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

angry_keebler posted:

well seeing as there's only one rape planet i'm inclined to call that the libertarian experiment of the 24th century

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
lol rape planet was so stupid

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Did you miss the part where all Ferengi have big noses and big ears?

short, swarthy, big nosed dudes who are constantly counting their money and spitballing how they can rip off gentiles hew-manns

• they all whine like woody allen
  • quark's mother is a jewish stereotype straight outta seinfeld but half as funny
  • every ferengi character is a merchant, banker, unscrupulous inkeep, arms dealer etc

any time you bring this up with a really serious ds9 fan they will point out that almost every ferengi character was written by a jewish writer and played by a jewish actor

this doesn't really excuse it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
♪♩♫♬ come to quark's ♬♫♩♪
♪♩♫♬ quark's is fun ♬♫♩♪
♪♩♫♬ come right now ♬♫♩♪
♪♩♫♬ don't walk - run! ♬♫♩♪

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

♪♩♫♬ come to quark's ♬♫♩♪
♪♩♫♬ quark's is fun ♬♫♩♪
♪♩♫♬ come right now ♬♫♩♪
♪♩♫♬ don't walk - run! ♬♫♩♪

i will come to quarks

and believe me, i will have fun

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

short, swarthy, big nosed dudes who are constantly counting their money and spitballing how they can rip off gentiles hew-manns

• quark's mother is a jewish stereotype straight outta seinfeld but half as funny
  • every ferengi character is a merchant, banker, unscrupulous inkeep, arms dealer etc

any time you bring this up with a really serious ds9 fan they will point out that almost every ferengi character was written by a jewish writer and played by a jewish actor

yeah that's pretty bad. i guess i'm not super familiar with jewish stereotypes

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

well seeing as there's only one rape planet i'm inclined to call that the libertarian experiment of the 24th century

one rape planet that we know of

starfleet does a lot of propaganda even when it can't possibly matter (kirk telling dr taylor that people don't use money in the future) so the federation could be 90% failed state rape planets for all we know

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

not to mention their insatiable lust for shiksas

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
someone should de-allegorise lovecraft. like instead of gods you have miscegenation, the mere pondering of which drives men mad

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Al! posted:

someone should de-allegorise lovecraft. like instead of gods you have miscegenation, the mere pondering of which drives men mad

Lovecraft didn't need no allegories to be racist as gently caress tho

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it kinda does tho?

like, shimerman specifically was playing up that angle

not to mention the ferengis are very often portrayed as as or even more sympathetic than the humans, and readily calling out the federation on its bullshit. especially the bit with nog and jake where nog asks what motivates people in the federation and jake can't actually explain what 'bettering themselves' actually means

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Can-O-Raid posted:

Lovecraft didn't need no allegories to be racist as gently caress tho

hey he repented once he married a jewess

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

nope, doesnt sound like a word anymore

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

hey he repented once he married a jewess

yeah he mellowed out eventually. wish he hadn't offed himself, it would have been interesting to see his reaction to wwii

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

angry_keebler posted:

one rape planet that we know of

starfleet does a lot of propaganda even when it can't possibly matter (kirk telling dr taylor that people don't use money in the future) so the federation could be 90% failed state rape planets for all we know

so, interesting question: can you conceive a setting which would be impossbile to re-interpret as a hellish dystopia?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

so, interesting question: can you conceive a setting which would be impossbile to re-interpret as a hellish dystopia?

no because all humans are evil and life is hell

Flash z0rdon
Aug 11, 2013

humans are evil and life is hell

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
for the purpose of annoying that transhumanist dude you work with

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

no because all humans are evil and life is hell

life is poo poo but people aren't evil they're just dumb and there's no hope of fixing that problem outside of a eugenic police state which is also unacceptable so we're boned and all scifi should be relentlessy depressing to reflect this

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

memory alpha has an article on rape

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Ganguro King posted:

memory alpha has an article on rape

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Pretty sure any transhumanist would agree with that though?

It's a lot more likely to annoy libertarians/capitalists/etc

(I realize there are people who would call themselves libertarians and transhumanists, but as with all libertarians they are selfish misanthropic fucks who have entirely missed the point)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
finally saw man of steel. that was the most loudly, aggressively, explosively boring shitheap i've seen in a while

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

imagine if they let kevin smith release a super man film lmao

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

dehumanize yourself and face to snyder

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

supperman written by kevin smith directed by zack snyder

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
glad i didn't bother seeing man of steel

when's the last time anyone made a superman film that was actually good?

i mean yeah superman is a lovely superhero anyway "oh look this person is literally invincible except for when he's in the presence of a magic rock; i wonder if the conflict this week is going to involve the magic rock somehow. how exciting."

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

the culture, duh

Free drugs, computer buddies to talk to, you can do whatever, and basically no laws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Pretty sure any transhumanist would agree with that though?

It's a lot more likely to annoy libertarians/capitalists/etc

(I realize there are people who would call themselves libertarians and transhumanists, but as with all libertarians they are selfish misanthropic fucks who have entirely missed the point)

every transhumanist i've ever met has been some kind of variation on "libertarian shitheel", sometimes overtly, sometimes not

• Locked thread