Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Spaceman Bill posted:

That's like the exact opposite of the final arc of Batman, Inc.

I think it the exact oppisite of Morrison's entire run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gatts posted:

Please tell me in that continuity Bruce and Talia live together and raise Damian like a family. Like, let's go for some nice poo poo for a change.

No they don't live together.
But that's fine since the issue before this one had Alfred force Bruce Wayne to go on a holiday. So he and Catwoman went on a cruise to find pirate gold. This series is all kinds of adorable.
I love the flashback to lil Batman being in a full body cast in hospital, with a get well card from Bane.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Gatts posted:

Please tell me in that continuity Bruce and Talia live together and raise Damian like a family. Like, let's go for some nice poo poo for a change.
They're more like divorced parents which is kind of sweet in it's own way. I mean, Li'l Gotham is a comic book mostly for children and having two parents be divorced is something a lot of children obviously deal with but it's also something that isn't reflected in any media, especially in something they might read or relate to.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
As part of a peace agreement between the Inhumans and the Kree, the Supreme Intelligence demands that Ronan the Accuser returns to him - alone.

FF (v1) #21

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

They're more like divorced parents which is kind of sweet in it's own way. I mean, Li'l Gotham is a comic book mostly for children and having two parents be divorced is something a lot of children obviously deal with but it's also something that isn't reflected in any media, especially in something they might read or relate to.

Because divorce means you're super-old and ancient! Like... 30 or something!

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but this seems less touching and inspiring than Black Bolt being a douche.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cornwind Evil posted:

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but this seems less touching and inspiring than Black Bolt being a douche.

Yeah... you could make an argument for 'badass', certainly, but a page of Crystal crying and then Sue scowling at creepy Black Bolt isn't exactly giving me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah... you could make an argument for 'badass', certainly, but a page of Crystal crying and then Sue scowling at creepy Black Bolt isn't exactly giving me a warm fuzzy feeling.

I think 'touching' in this case means 'emotional'. Just not the warm fuzzy kind.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

I think 'touching' in this case means 'emotional'. Just not the warm fuzzy kind.

This goon got it right. It's not inspiring in the least, but very powerful. In panel 2 you've got Crystal collapsing after breaking up her marriage, crushed, but her duty demands it. In the very same panel three Inhumans are struggling to restrain Ronan, lunging for his wife. Next up you've got Ronan screaming at the top of his lungs. Sue turns to Black Bolt. The king is completely indifferent to what just happened.

Similar to the silent issue of F4 after Johnny Storm's death, Hickman and Dragotta really do emotional well.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Sue turns to Black Bolt. The king is completely indifferent to what just happened.

Black Bolt isn't showing emotion, because a) he's a king and to show weakness could lead to war or revolt, and b) he's Black Friggin' Bolt and to so much as say "uh" would kill everyone around him.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Gaz-L posted:

You don't see regret, there, in Black Bolt? The fact that he's looking down, his eyes hidden in the shadow of his brow? The tension in his shoulders, the set of his jaw? This is a man who has just had to shred the happiness of his sister-in-law, a man who agreed to do that because that is what his duty as a King compels him to do - he hates that he's done it, but he's had to, and by God he's going to have to find a way to live with it. He'll be hated for it, he'll be thought cold and heartless for it, but he'll take that hate, because he is a King, and a King must be more than just a man.

That's what I get from that page, personally; I thought it was probably Draghotta's finest work on the book. The reader (this reader, anyways) feels for Black Bolt, knowing that if he were only a man, if the entire future of the Inhumans did not rest solely with him, he would deny the Supreme Intelligence and allow Crystal and Ronan to be happy - but he does not have that luxury. Nor does he have the luxury of feeling guilt. He is a King, and concerns like "happiness" and "true love" are concerns for men, not Kings.

...that was my takeaway from that issue, anyways.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

You don't see regret, there, in Black Bolt? The fact that he's looking down, his eyes hidden in the shadow of his brow? The tension in his shoulders, the set of his jaw? This is a man who has just had to shred the happiness of his sister-in-law, a man who agreed to do that because that is what his duty as a King compels him to do - he hates that he's done it, but he's had to, and by God he's going to have to find a way to live with it. He'll be hated for it, he'll be thought cold and heartless for it, but he'll take that hate, because he is a King, and a King must be more than just a man.

That's what I get from that page, personally; I thought it was probably Draghotta's finest work on the book. The reader (this reader, anyways) feels for Black Bolt, knowing that if he were only a man, if the entire future of the Inhumans did not rest solely with him, he would deny the Supreme Intelligence and allow Crystal and Ronan to be happy - but he does not have that luxury. Nor does he have the luxury of feeling guilt. He is a King, and concerns like "happiness" and "true love" are concerns for men, not Kings.

...that was my takeaway from that issue, anyways.

I had a similar impression, but you put it into words better than I could have.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What would be the best way to get the page where Abel tells Goldie the story of two loving brothers out of an Absolute Sandman and into this thread?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Len posted:

What would be the best way to get the page where Abel tells Goldie the story of two loving brothers out of an Absolute Sandman and into this thread?

This one?

Sandman #40

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Uthor posted:

This one?

Sandman #40

I was thinking the last page of issue 2 but that one works really well for this thread too. It's my fault for not saying which issue I was reading.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Len posted:

I was thinking the last page of issue 2 but that one works really well for this thread too. It's my fault for not saying which issue I was reading.

That's the scene I was thinking of, but couldn't remember where it was. :/

Setup

And the end of the issue:

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Len posted:

I made an effortpost about Cain and Abel on another forum, I think I can scrounge up that piece and some more if you give me a day.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Cain cares for Abel in his own special way. :3:

(thumbs for spoilers if you haven't read Sandman)

Sandman #70

Oh course, the next issue (hours later in the story).

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

This is the scan.

On the leash in that last scan is Goldie, Abel's pet gargoyle. It's named Goldie because all gargoyles must have a name that begins with a G, but Abel likes to pretend its name is Irving instead.

(I made the post about Cain and Abels messed up relationship a good five-six years ago. This was the only image that Imageshack hadn't deleted :sigh: )

EDIT: EArly Sandman, issue #2 perhaps?

E2: Beaten

Or is it Sputnik fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 24, 2013

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Or is it Sputnik posted:

This is the scan.

On the leash in that last scan is Goldie, Abel's pet gargoyle. It's named Goldie because all gargoyles must have a name that begins with a G, but Abel likes to pretend its name is Irving instead.

(I made the post about Cain and Abels messed up relationship a good five-six years ago. This was the only image that Imageshack hadn't deleted :sigh: )

3 posts up.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Since we're doing a Cain and Abel dump, would it be appropriate if someone were to post Abel's encounter with The Kindly Ones that eventually lead to that scene from The Wake? Abel's final bit I think is the ultimate descriptor of the first brothers' relationship. I'd say it even would be appropriate in the This Character in Panels thread.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Could you link that? I'm curious now.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

Since we're doing a Cain and Abel dump, would it be appropriate if someone were to post Abel's encounter with The Kindly Ones that eventually lead to that scene from The Wake? Abel's final bit I think is the ultimate descriptor of the first brothers' relationship. I'd say it even would be appropriate in the This Character in Panels thread.

Sandman #66

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Gaaaah, I can't look at any of these! I'm still working my way through the Sandman collection!
Speaking of which, I need to pick up volume 5, suppose I will go do that! Cheers!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Johnny Aztec posted:

Gaaaah, I can't look at any of these! I'm still working my way through the Sandman collection!
Speaking of which, I need to pick up volume 5, suppose I will go do that! Cheers!

Absolute volume 5 or just the fifth trade? If its absolute volume 5 it is not that important but if its the fifth trade get on that.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lying Cat and Sophie, the best part of Saga:

From Saga #14. You should read Saga.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

wiegieman posted:

This page might be my favorite page in all of Saga (so far), and that's saying something for a book as amazing as Saga is.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

That panel made me say "Awwww" outloud

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

wiegieman posted:

Yes! This is one of the best books I've read in a long time!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Doc Brass gives Elijah Snow some much needed advice and perspective.

(from Planetary #5)

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

wiegieman posted:

Lying Cat is the goddamn best :allears:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Can someone please explain to me what exactly is touching or inspiring about Cain being a dick to Abel :psyduck: I sorta get the one where he asks Dream to bring him back, but the other ones, not so much.

wiegieman posted:

This, though, I have no problems getting. :3:

Edit: fixed the name spelling, too used to the Legacy Of Kain spelling.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 27, 2013

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

This is the thread for emotional ("touching") comic moments, no one said they'd be emotional in a happy feelz way. Just two pages back is a sequence of a guy and a dog dying alone in a car, chrissakes.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Or is it Sputnik posted:

This is the thread for emotional ("touching") comic moments, no one said they'd be emotional in a happy feelz way. Just two pages back is a sequence of a guy and a dog dying alone in a car, chrissakes.

The dog didn't die YOU MONSTER!!!!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

While we're on the subject of horribly sad moments involving dogs, can someone post We3? I mean, half the book could go in here, but "is 2 good dog?" and "2! U R Bandit!" Gets me every time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

We3 #3

Just love and attention is right :colbert:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Can someone please explain to me what exactly is touching or inspiring about Cain being a dick to Abel :psyduck: I sorta get the one where he asks Dream to bring him back, but the other ones, not so much.

This, though, I have no problems getting. :3:

Edit: fixed the name spelling, too used to the Legacy Of Kain spelling.

I'd say the fifth panel on the page I requested explains it all in elegance. Abel is NOT being killed by Cain on that page. "You musn't kill me! You don't love me! You d-don't even know me!!" Is pretty much Cain-and-Abel.jpg

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'll admit it that drat scene in Saga #14 with the cat really loving got to me. Goddamn is Saga good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Iron Man 172

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Boxman posted:

While we're on the subject of horribly sad moments involving dogs, can someone post We3? I mean, half the book could go in here, but "is 2 good dog?" and "2! U R Bandit!" Gets me every time.

"1 gud dog?" 2 was the cat and the cat was an rear end in a top hat. 1 was the best of dogs though. Even with all the times Ive read We3 I still tear up reliably. Such a good loving book.