Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Malcolm XML posted:

Hosted iCloud would be the logical next step for iWork in the cloud and such

LOGIC HAS NO PLACE HERE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

For those wondering if 10.8.5 really did fix 802.11ac performance:

Well at least AFP is improved :downs:

Isn't AFP going to be totally nerfed / deprecated in Mavericks?

BTW, this is what I visualize whenever I hear 'Mavericks..'

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Binary Badger posted:

Isn't AFP going to be totally nerfed / deprecated in Mavericks?

SMB2 will replace it as the default option when File Sharing is turned on, but AFP is going to remain the de facto and required option for certain AFP-only things, remote Time Machine/Time Capsules being the most notable.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Uhh, did 10.8.5 sneak back in the ability to turn off an internal monitor if an external one is hooked up? It was impossible previously in ML but I just accidentally pressed a key on my external keyboard while the thing was asleep with the lid closed and the external monitor turned on and did the thing where it goes blue briefly then comes up. Previously this would only last a couple of seconds before the thing would go back to sleep again but now it stays on fine, just like it did in Lion (albeit with a few choice lines in Terminal, which stopped working in ML). I just reopened the lid and the internal monitor is staying off! No magnets or any other nonsense.

I just want to know if this actually came with the recent update or if it's just a fluke. I can do things again like watch videos without everything overheating and stuttering, awesome.

E: Yet overall graphical performance is now worse despite the Mac only having to render one screen. Yeeeeah this makes sense.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 13, 2013

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Yeah the impression I'm getting with my laptop (MBA 2013, first Mac I've ever owned) is that OSX has absolutely awful graphics drivers and/or terrible multi-monitor support.

I'm not even talking about the night and day difference in performance between Windows and OSX for things like old Source engine games (which I thought were supposed to run reasonably well in OSX) - I see noticeable "lag" when I'm dragging application windows around on my secondary monitor (1680x1050).

Is this normal? I can live with it because OSX owns for dev work, but it's kinda annoying and doesn't happen in Windows at all.

Edit: Same problem was occurring before the 10.8.5 update as well.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 13, 2013

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
It might just be not enough VRAM, multi-monitor setups are vram hungry and apple is notoriously stingy.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That's the issue I had with ML was its fervent refusal to allow the user to go external monitor-only. Things that were smooth were fine (certain UI elements mostly) but some things barely worked at all (Youtube videos, games) but now that I'm seemingly allowed to go external-only, performance is worse across the board somehow even though VRAM is all directed to a single monitor instead of being split between two.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

I have a 2013 MBA and I don't have this issue at all with a 27" 1080p monitor as a secondary display. Everything seems pretty smooth even when dragging windows between the built-in LCD and the monitor.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Dual monitor is pretty great in Mavericks, so I wonder how much of the trouble is software-related.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Leathal posted:

Yeah the impression I'm getting with my laptop (MBA 2013, first Mac I've ever owned) is that OSX has absolutely awful graphics drivers and/or terrible multi-monitor support.

I'm not even talking about the night and day difference in performance between Windows and OSX for things like old Source engine games (which I thought were supposed to run reasonably well in OSX) - I see noticeable "lag" when I'm dragging application windows around on my secondary monitor (1680x1050).

Is this normal? I can live with it because OSX owns for dev work, but it's kinda annoying and doesn't happen in Windows at all.

Not normal. Only things that come to mind are that you're just not used to the mouse acceleration (and that it's more noticeable on a bigger external screen) or maybe something to do with the refresh rate and vsync. You can check the former in the displays prefpane, while to mess with the latter I think you need to install the dev tools (which it sounds like you might have already...I think the app to look for is Quartz Debug?).

One other possibility I guess is that your monitor is just laggier than the built in display, but you can eliminate that one if you were talking about Windows running on the MBA as well.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

My laptop is 5 years old and shittier than yours and I've never felt any lag in using dual monitors on it in OSX, it runs games like poo poo under OSX and can just barely play recentish games under Windows but anything non-graphics intensive it works just fine.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
http://smoothmouse.com/

http://smoothmouse.net/forum/topic/34-pointer-lag

It also allows you to set Windows mouse acceleration for a mouse and OS X acceleration for a trackpad. Basically, for my use it's no lag when the Macbook is kinda docked and no speedy pointer when not docked.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm having some questions. I picked up a brand new MBP today, 13.3in, but the "About this Mac" says it's mid-2012. Is that the last time 13.3 was updated? It came with 10.8.3, so I partially think it's legit if not for that alone.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Leathal posted:

You are going to really like Mavericks.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

noirstronaut posted:

I'm having some questions. I picked up a brand new MBP today, 13.3in, but the "About this Mac" says it's mid-2012. Is that the last time 13.3 was updated? It came with 10.8.3, so I partially think it's legit if not for that alone.
The MacBook Pros haven't been updated yet so the model is still classified as the 'mid 2012' model. They also don't need a custom build of Mountain Lion so they probably haven't been updated to 10.8.4 in the box.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

wdarkk posted:

It might just be not enough VRAM, multi-monitor setups are vram hungry and apple is notoriously stingy.

I think that depends a lot on how you spec it up and what size you pick. I haven't checked the current MBA line, but in the past, both the chip and the memory allocation has depended both on what size you picked and what your base CPU you selected during the first step of the order setup. Mine says this:

…and that should be plenty to run pretty much anything you can plug into the poor thing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mercurius posted:

The MacBook Pros haven't been updated yet so the model is still classified as the 'mid 2012' model. They also don't need a custom build of Mountain Lion so they probably haven't been updated to 10.8.4 in the box.
Course the old style MBPs might be killed off when the refresh comes out.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Is resizing windows with the green button any better? I tend not to do it because it comes with a lag totally uncharacteristic of anything else in the OS desktop.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Green button makes the window large enough to show all elements, or small enough. I see it as a "No wasted space" button.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

SRQ posted:

Green button makes the window large enough to show all elements, or small enough. I see it as a "No wasted space" button.
It's a straight up maximize button in some cases. Seems like it does it in cases with flexible elements without defined dimensions like Terminal or TextEdit without page wrap, and a bunch others. Makes sense when a window is filled up like Console most of the time, but on a big screen with a little content like Messages' chat window it can be a massive waste of space.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Alright, I have a question for you homebros.

I have an iMac and a new MBP. Naturally, there are some files I need to transfer between the two, and there's, of course, AirDrop, but is there anything that bridges the gap to make it so I can simply access the files of my iMac over wifi? Also, is it possible to do the same with any USB-connected storage on one and access from the other?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

You can just direct connect in Finder.

Go > Connect to server or hit CMD-K in Finder and it'll bring up a popup window to enter the computer name to connect to.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

kloa posted:

Go > Connect to server or hit CMD-K in Finder and it'll bring up a popup window to enter the computer name to connect to.

kloa posted:

Remember to enable file sharing first under "sharing" in system preferences.

For the absolute fastest way to transfer big stuff connect an Ethernet cable to both directly (no switch or router). They should auto configure themselves for you.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm in love with my 13" MBP and wish I could just marry it. That said, I wanna make a few upgrades to it. Is it possible to dump the DVD drive and replace it with a SSD and leave the 500gb hard drive in there too? I wanna do that and transfer my Mac OS X install over to the SSD.

[edit]This would probably be better in the hardware thread, wouldn't it?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I'm in love with my 13" MBP and wish I could just marry it. That said, I wanna make a few upgrades to it. Is it possible to dump the DVD drive and replace it with a SSD and leave the 500gb hard drive in there too? I wanna do that and transfer my Mac OS X install over to the SSD.

Nah man, you're cool here.
Here's the first google hit for "macbook+pro+two+hard+drives".

I think you're in business. This one's called the Optibay.

e: Oh cool, there is a mac hardware thread. Yeah they'll know more.
This Cnet page appears to outline every possible option for replacing the optical drive with a SSD.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 15, 2013

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

I said come in! posted:

I got the OWC kit and upgraded on my 15". If your model supports the speed, putting the SSD in the optical bay would be the way to go. Mine I had to move the existing drive into the mounting bracket and screwed up the cable while working on the SSD. So no matter what you do, be careful and take your time working on it.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Would it be possible to RAID up too SSDs using that?
I'm guessing no, would be neat in theory though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
OS X has software RAID so it would be possible but I thought the optical bay SATA port is artificially limited to SATA1 speeds so might not be worth it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I have the optibay in my 13" MBP with a 1tb Seagate Momentus hybrid drive. I've symlinked a lot of directories from my home folder (Downloads, Pictures, Music, etc) on the SSD to the 1tb drive to make a sort of a fusion drive setup. Its just great and I love it.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Is there some way to get more options for trackpad gestures or hack them in? I got a new laptop with 10.8 and what used to be expose in 10.6 seems to be mission control now but I can't change mission control to swipe down like I had expose on my old macbook.

e: Also I could have sworn I had right click as clicking with a corner of the trackpad or two fingers but now it only lets me pick one or the other?

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 15, 2013

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Is there some way to get more options for trackpad gestures or hack them in?

Indeed.

BetterTouchTool is what you want.

http://blog.boastr.net

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Has anyone had any success enabling three-finger dragging in Windows? I tried to download something earlier today, but it hosed up everything.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Cyne posted:

Indeed.

BetterTouchTool is what you want.

http://blog.boastr.net

Thanks, that was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Does anyone have experience with using VMware Fusion? I clicked the "easy install" option because it said it would deal with driver installation, but when I started up Windows it looks like it set up as an administrator account with updates disabled which seems like a bad idea. I'm wondering if there's anything else I should look out for.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Does anyone have experience with using VMware Fusion? I clicked the "easy install" option because it said it would deal with driver installation, but when I started up Windows it looks like it set up as an administrator account with updates disabled which seems like a bad idea. I'm wondering if there's anything else I should look out for.

Yeah just don't use easy install unless you're sure what it'll set up. I'm surprised it disabled updates though.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

SRQ posted:

Would it be possible to RAID up too SSDs using that?
I'm guessing no, would be neat in theory though.
SSDs and RAID do not go together. Check the SSD thread for more information.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I meant Raid 0 for a dumb super fast drive array.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

SRQ posted:

I meant Raid 0 for a dumb super fast drive array.

RAID 0's just a bad idea, and completely pointless when you can get such good performance from one SSD.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Granite Octopus posted:

For the absolute fastest way to transfer big stuff connect an Ethernet cable to both directly (no switch or router). They should auto configure themselves for you.

Just to clarify here, do I need to worry about cross-over cables in this situation, or just "normal" Ethernet?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

binarysmurf posted:

Just to clarify here, do I need to worry about cross-over cables in this situation, or just "normal" Ethernet?

It has built-in crossover capabilities, so just a normal cable works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modig
Aug 20, 2002
So my MBA (2010ish) can no longer see my home wifi. The wifi network still works fine with 2 iphones and an iPad, so I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with the router. This seems to be a fairly common issue, since lots of threads came up when I googled for it.

I did standard stuff like rebooting the MBA, power cycling the router, deleting all the known networks on the MBA and rebooting like 5 more times. It seemed to work once, but then it stopped working again.

I couldn't find any solutions via googling... will an Apple store do anything on an MBA that is out of warranty?