Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

JosephWongKS posted:

No.

Yes.

That's probably it. Man, that level of upkeep is really harsh. Do people who play Stainless Steel usually turn the Grim Reality sub-mod on or off?

I took one look at that poo poo and said gently caress that. I enjoy challenge but I also like to relax while I play and grim reality just makes it way to difficult and annoying for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

JosephWongKS posted:

That's probably it. Man, that level of upkeep is really harsh. Do people who play Stainless Steel usually turn the Grim Reality sub-mod on or off?

Depends on who you ask, but I think most SA fans prefer to have it off, since it's really, really spergy and a giant pain in the rear end. I know I do.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
As a follow-up question, can I play Fall of the Samurai vanilla (it's my first play through, I am terrible at it and my dudes all die a lot) or should I try to grab some sort of mod?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Vanilla is great.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
No, you definitely want the artillery mod. Considering the time period, having only 3 and a half artillery types in the game is a bit silly. There are a couple of other decent mods you can get too but in my opinion that's the only "essential" one.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
It's an improvement, but by no means necessary!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Well yeah the game is perfectly playable without it, but it does vastly improve that part of the game, and considering steam workshop stuff takes all of 10 seconds to install I wouldn't really pass it up.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I had no problem with vanilla and is great fun modless. I'm playing it through with the DarthMod now, but that's just for balance purposes.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Cool, I'll definitely grab the artillery mod. I'm kind of an artillery and other pew pew machines whore.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I still haven't made it to Gatling guns before completing the campaign. I have a feeling I am missing out on something wonderful.

Still scratching my head as to why Napoleon had more artillery pieces and ammunition variety than FOTS though. Mortars all day, err'day.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

canyoneer posted:

I still haven't made it to Gatling guns before completing the campaign. I have a feeling I am missing out on something wonderful.

Still scratching my head as to why Napoleon had more artillery pieces and ammunition variety than FOTS though. Mortars all day, err'day.

Maybe they restricted artillery because more variety would be overkill? I dunno.

John Charity Spring fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 12, 2013

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

canyoneer posted:

Gattling guns to this day are my favorite unit. You have to set them up correctly and protect them a little, but once you get that perfect setup its wonderful. Usually i'll place it on a hill facing another, slightly higher hill if I can. That ensures that my melee troops can be in front of it and not in the line of fire. They basically just have to stand at the bottom of the hill and stab any falling corpse that's still moving.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

No.

Yes.

Beyond the upkeep, it also does some poo poo to the late game where your generals slowly becomes absolutely useless/rebellious save for like 3 dudes. If you thought trying to manage a large empire was annoying, try doing it when only your king and heir can recruit troops.

ofc the AI doesn't do it because you can't program "sperg" so enjoy fighting the Timurids with spear levies and peasant archers.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

John Charity Spring posted:

Maybe they restricted artillery because more variety would be overkill? I dunno.

Nope. They didn't have the time or something. All those cannons in the Artillery mod? they were just added in by modders. They were pretty much ready to be fully added into the game.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Isn't there a direct control thing for them too? Where you can do your own shooting?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

SquadronROE posted:

Isn't there a direct control thing for them too? Where you can do your own shooting?

Direct control was pretty much first shipped with Fall.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I have Shogun 2 installed on an HDD, and Rome 2 installed on my SSD. Obviously there's a difference in load times, but holy moly Shogun 2 is just hilariously tedious.

Does Shogun 2 load slower than Rome 2 on comparable hardware?

edit: Also I'm playing Fall of the Samurai with the Radious package, and I think I like it a lot (I'm still in the early-to-midgame). Decided to try it out because I just can loving stand Darth Mod and his dumb splash screens and yeah I'm petty like that.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 12, 2013

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Trustworthy posted:

Does Shogun 2 load slower than Rome 2 on comparable hardware?

It certainly does for me. Bizarrely enough Shogun 2 has significantly longer load times than Rome 2, but also has much, much better performance. Many people have reported that they can run Shogun 2 flawlessly at max settings that Rome 2 drags rear end if they do they same, or even if they turn it down some.

Shogun 2 has poorly optimized loading. Rome 2 has poorly optimized everything but loading.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Chomp8645 posted:

It certainly does for me. Bizarrely enough Shogun 2 has significantly longer load times than Rome 2, but also has much, much better performance. Many people have reported that they can run Shogun 2 flawlessly at max settings that Rome 2 drags rear end if they do they same, or even if they turn it down some.

Me, i'm one of those people. Rome lags on low for me. I can run shogun at max. Its really bizarre.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Koramei posted:

No, you definitely want the artillery mod. Considering the time period, having only 3 and a half artillery types in the game is a bit silly. There are a couple of other decent mods you can get too but in my opinion that's the only "essential" one.

have there ever been any FotS mods to improve line of sight aiming?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Any of you cats able to receive emails from twcenter.net? I tried to register an account, but they never sent me a confirmation email. I'm using a plain old gmail account, it's not winding up in my spam folder, and I don't know wtf

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
I had the same problem, but if you just want to download mods you dont need to be authed, just registered. The only reason you need to be authed is to post there, and why would you possibly want to do that?

DaveCG
Nov 5, 2009

Rudi Starnberg posted:

I had the same problem, but if you just want to download mods you dont need to be authed, just registered. The only reason you need to be authed is to post there, and why would you possibly want to do that?

Because he hates himself? Mine came through fine the other day, mind the site is a POS so lord only knows.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
By the way people running Europa Barbarorum should probably get this mod if they have the Alexander expasion. It makes the AI less terrible and hads a ton of small goodies.

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?132461-Jirisys-Europa-Barbarorum-Mega-Mod-Pack-for-EB-1-2

UberJumper posted:

Is there a suggestion for a newbie faction for a stainless steel campaign. I tried Byzatine (TWCenter recommended this one), except i am completely overwhelmed with all the provinces i start off with.
Late campaign's Iberian kingdoms are pretty much open invitations into a Vatican monopoly due to great crusader targets and areas to convert.

Mans fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 13, 2013

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

If both me and my friend installs the artillery mod for Fall of the samurai, can we use it co-op? Or is co-op only possible unmodded?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Sistergodiva posted:

If both me and my friend installs the artillery mod for Fall of the samurai, can we use it co-op? Or is co-op only possible unmodded?

You should be able to use it co-op!

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
Is there any way to go back to previous turns on legendary difficulty in Shogun 2?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Teddles posted:

Is there any way to go back to previous turns on legendary difficulty in Shogun 2?

Yeah, save every turn.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Teddles posted:

What? That's like the entire point of it, dude. If you don't want your saves wiped, just do VH with Battle Realism on, it's the same thing.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah, save every turn.

You can't on Legendary, the game does it for you.

Koramei posted:

What? That's like the entire point of it, dude. If you don't want your saves wiped, just do VH with Battle Realism on, it's the same thing.

I'm just annoyed that my legendary Ikko campaign was ruined because an agent failed to detect a full stack ambush that wasn't even in any trees on the campaign map. It was going so well until then :negative:

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
alt tab out and make back up copies of each turn I guess. Kind of defeats the point of Legendary though I think.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I am getting slightly less terrible at Fall of the Samurai, now. The drat Obama faction is making life difficult though, since after I declared war on them just about all the Shogunates declared war on me and now my sea trade routes are all being raided and I'm having to significantly up my navy expenditure. I think I might have to recoup for a little bit after I beat the crap out of those ships. My aggressive expansion seems to have worked fairly well and I could probably take a few more provinces... but I don't want to overstretch and need to be prepared for a counter-attack.

Anyway, I couldn't find a FOTS thread, was there ever one?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SquadronROE posted:

Anyway, I couldn't find a FOTS thread, was there ever one?

If I recall, there was a Shogun 2 thread that just became the FOTS thread when the expansion came out. I'm phone posting, so I can't really go dig it up now, but I'll see what I can find when I'm back at my PC.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

All FOTS stuff was posted in the Shogun 2 thread yeah.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

SeanBeansShako posted:

All FOTS stuff was posted in the Shogun 2 thread yeah.

Which can be found here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3397267

Requires archives, obviously. Also, it's a thread that conjures up weird feelings when I read my own two year old posts.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

This is now the catch-all not-Rome-2 Total War thread anyway. If you put in a question here someone's bound to answer it.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm really tempted to lower the upkeep costs of units in EB. Why they went to such lengths to force nations to have small armies confuses me. I gave the AI 500k starting denarii and the dudes started fielding somewhat impressive armies until the EB script stole all their money away (EB never allows the AI to have too much money for some bizarre reason).

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
If I remember rightly EB keeps the AI's tresuary between two values at all times becuase it doesn't really understand the economics system. I can't remember why it stops it being too much exactly, possibly so all the AI generals don't get crippled by corruption traits?

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Trying to play Medieval 2 and oftentimes with big battles, especially sieges, the display driver will crash. Running a GTX 660 and plenty of onboard ram, this poo poo sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Justin Credible posted:

Trying to play Medieval 2 and oftentimes with big battles, especially sieges, the display driver will crash. Running a GTX 660 and plenty of onboard ram, this poo poo sucks.

Is it super often? Because yeah M2TW shits the bed on me every once in a while. Not often enough to really go all :argh: about it, but when you just saved your precious city from two stacks of AI with your own half-stack and got a heroic victory to boot... just for it to crash, is very deflating :smith: