Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know, does it really count as it being their destiny to save games when everyone who wants it goes "Well, I'll buy it later?" Ain't really their fault but I doubt we're gonna see a W102 when even the people who have a Wii U and want the game are going "I'll wait for it to be on sale."

It's still not out for a couple of days in NA, and it would be a system-seller for me except that I may as well wait for the Wind Waker edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

Well, that's hyperbole, but a lot of what I've seen on it is "I'll wait (because it's going to sell like poo poo and will be $20 in 2 months.)"

Which is a completely reasonable path to take because it will be $20 in two months. v:shobon:v

I've yet to pay over 20 dollars for a Platinum game and I pretty much have all of them.

I'm just missing Vanquish I think.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I'm not sure if I would call Madworld a good game, but I did like its soundtrack and thought it was great that they got Greg Proops and John DiMaggio.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Pasteurized Milk posted:

I'm not sure if I would call Madworld a good game, but I did like its soundtrack and thought it was great that they got Greg Proops and John DiMaggio.

I'd say it's positives outweighed it's negatives. Good looking art style, great commentary, good soundtrack, fun boss fights mostly, BLACK BARON, BLACK BARON, BLACK BARON... Yeah it got repetitive pretty quick in spots but all in all i'd say it definitely belongs in the 'worth it pile' but I can also see why it's the least selling Platinum game.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
What's kinda weird to me about MadWorld selling so low is that I remember people complaining about a lack of M-rated games on the Wii, but I guess an over-the-top ultraviolence simulator with Sin City aesthetics wasn't what they were looking for. Or maybe No More Heroes beat it to the punch and had better word of mouth. I remember seeing ads for it on TV back then though.

Also, Anarchy Reigns was crazy awesome, if you played it when it came out. Making every single character broken and combining it with tons of random environmental hazards like carpet bombings, giant krakens, and black holes turned all of the online matches into pure chaos and encouraged players to think beyond just getting off good combos. Also, Death Ball was really, really fun to play. The single player campaign is slower and repetitive than Platinum's other games, but it was pretty much marketed as a fighting game. I hope they try to make another game like it.

EDDryden
Jan 31, 2013

Monkey Fracas posted:

Played the demo at a friend's place. It is Platinum's destiny to save Video Games.

I am seriously holding out on buying a Wii U for as long as possible but this is making it hard.

I don't own a Wii U yet, but I'm buying this day one. Good motivation :colbert:

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Enemies offscreen bothered me a lot at first, but I've gotten used to them now. The only ones that are really annoying are the armored tanks that fire shots you can reflect (and the kahloo regah with them).

Also, the large unite morphs do a TON more damage than the small ones. So if you are having trouble, do that, and buy the thing that lets you increase the size by holding down A. Throwing enemies does a bunch of damage as well.

Of course, it ruins your combo score since you kill things faster. I've found the claws, sword and especially the gun are great for combos. Get in a bunch of hits with the claws and use a SMALL gun to raise the multiplier quickly. Towards the end of my first playthrough I wasn't using the multi-unite morphs at all (the ones you trigger with X) but now I use them to raise my score.

The loop in that video linked is something to practice as well, since it really opens up what you can do.

I've also found the bomb + attack liner does ridiculous damage and I'm not sure it's intentional.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Well poo poo, I was hoping to get this at midnight but it looks like Wal-Mart isn't going to have this in stores until the 20th for some reason.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
The store on base broke street date so I got it this morning! Too bad I won't have a Wii U until the Zelda bundle comes out Friday.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
For those who hadn't seen it:

Buy 2 get 1 free on WU games at Target from September 22-29.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Do yourselves a favour and get Pikmin 3 and Rayman Legends as well as W101, they're both brilliant games. And Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate if you're looking for a hard game that has a lot of content and playability.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Based on download speed just after midnight to 2:10am, it seems something's hit Nintendo's servers like whoa.

But for all I know, 5,000 downloads really would be all it takes to slow their network to a crawl.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Robert Boyd of Zeboyd Games wrote a pretty good analysis of why the reviews for this game have been so lukewarm:

http://zeboyd.com/2013/09/10/why-games-like-the-wonderful-101-are-a-poor-fit-for-the-gaming-press/

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I pre-ordered this as a pickup in store from gamestop, and now it's showing the release as Dec. 31. Wut. At least I haven't given them any money yet.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Doc V posted:

Robert Boyd of Zeboyd Games wrote a pretty good analysis of why the reviews for this game have been so lukewarm:

http://zeboyd.com/2013/09/10/why-games-like-the-wonderful-101-are-a-poor-fit-for-the-gaming-press/

He makes it sound like the game doesn't have a main focus in it's gameplay and tacked on a whole lot of extra systems where it's the jack of all trades but the master of none. He mentions Dark Souls, and in comparison Dark Souls knew what it was supposed to be and really buckled down to make it's systems the best examples they could be.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

He makes it sound like the game doesn't have a main focus in it's gameplay and tacked on a whole lot of extra systems where it's the jack of all trades but the master of none. He mentions Dark Souls, and in comparison Dark Souls knew what it was supposed to be and really buckled down to make it's systems the best examples they could be.

That isn't really what it is at all. It very much falls into the same mold as DMC or Bayonetta where it has a lot of systems that offer a variety of options.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Finished Operation 001. Loving the game but they really should explain a few things, biggest problem is Blue's Face icon. I've had it pop up numerous times and I assumed "Oh get a sword ready" but each time I try I get kicked in the teeth so I have no goddamn idea.

General takes a big swing, I get a sword ready on the "heh" command and pow I'm sent flying. Giant dragon lunges and I get the sword ready and chomp there he goes. It's really frustrating.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Finished Operation 001. Loving the game but they really should explain a few things, biggest problem is Blue's Face icon. I've had it pop up numerous times and I assumed "Oh get a sword ready" but each time I try I get kicked in the teeth so I have no goddamn idea.

General takes a big swing, I get a sword ready on the "heh" command and pow I'm sent flying. Giant dragon lunges and I get the sword ready and chomp there he goes. It's really frustrating.

That is exactly what you're supposed to do. The face icons are a "have this weapon ready to activate a QTE" thing. Do you actually have the sword out and prepared to intercept the attack?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ImpAtom posted:

That is exactly what you're supposed to do. The face icons are a "have this weapon ready to activate a QTE" thing. Do you actually have the sword out and prepared to intercept the attack?

On the General I didn't but played through C twice and All four times I had it out and ready I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

WendigoJohnson posted:

It's not that the systems are "extra" or unpolished - the things he mentioned are pretty central to how the game plays - it's that they're systems you don't usually see together and interacting in one game. In a game like Dark Souls that's hard but ultimately has a very traditional base to its systems, it's easier to see what you did wrong because you can guess how the game is supposed to be played based on your experiences of similar games. However, if the game is instead, for example, some kind of unholy love child of Viewtiful Joe, Bayonetta, Okami and Pikmin, it's no longer apparent how the game is intended to play and you'll usually need to play around and experiment a bunch to see what you can do and what is actually effective. Unfortunately, that's often not an option when you've got a review deadline breathing down your neck, so games that use non-traditional systems and have a heavy focus on skill tend to get blasted by reviewers for being too hard and frustrating, simply because the reviewers don't know how to actually play the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

On the General I didn't but played through C twice and All four times I had it out and ready I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Odd, I just tried it and it worked fine. I'll try to record it when I get a free moment, it may be positioning that is your problem.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Have the sword ready before the "heh", then swing the sword on the queue.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Will give it a shot when I resume. Unrelated question for 001-B

After the helmet section I jumped across a broken bridge and found a wonderful one and some people on a burning building but couldn't figure out how to get to them, am I missing something obvious?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Doc V posted:

it's no longer apparent how the game is intended to play and you'll usually need to play around and experiment a bunch to see what you can do and what is actually effective. Unfortunately, that's often not an option when you've got a review deadline breathing down your neck, so games that use non-traditional systems and have a heavy focus on skill tend to get blasted by reviewers for being too hard and frustrating, simply because the reviewers don't know how to actually play the game.

That is pretty much a big part of the definition of jack of all trades but master at none. In a game if it's not apparent from the get go what to do or what you can do, it's the game's fault for not making it that clear.

You could make two comparisons between Metal gear Solid:Revengence and something like Anarchy Reigns. Revengence explained all it's systems thoroughly and used them to their full extent, where as Anarchy decided to take Spawn:Dark Arena add in an adventure mode and then never utilize the adventure game aspects to their full extent and leave it hanging.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 15, 2013

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

WendigoJohnson posted:

That is pretty much the definition of jack of all trades but master at none.

My understanding of the phrase is that it does many things, but it doesn't do any of them well. How you get from 'experiment with the many complex systems to develop your own way to play the game' to 'throws mechanics at you for the sake of mechanics and they're all pretty lovely' is beyond my skill level.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Protokoll posted:

My understanding of the phrase is that it does many things, but it doesn't do any of them well. How you get from 'experiment with the many complex systems to develop your own way to play the game' to 'throws mechanics at you for the sake of mechanics and they're all pretty lovely' is beyond my skill level.

Because main game mechanics should function perfectly right away and be intuitive. StarCraft even bothers explaining all it's advanced modes and formations in a series of missions so players can start playing on an advanced level.

Hell look at Deus Ex as far as using multiple solutions to solve the same problem, that's the proper way to use problem solving instead of widly flailing around just trying to see what random combinations of stuff works. Adventure games did that poo poo with convoluted problems and even more convoluted solutions and that's what turned people off to them.

I mean geez people complained about MH3U not explaining how the weapons function throughout the game and they kept dying as a result of not knowing what specific weapons could do or how they exactly work. It's a valid piece of criticism.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 15, 2013

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

After the helmet section I jumped across a broken bridge and found a wonderful one and some people on a burning building but couldn't figure out how to get to them, am I missing something obvious?

I think you need Unite Rocket to get to them. I didn't have it by that point, so I missed out.

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

WendigoJohnson posted:

Because main game mechanics should function perfectly right away and be intuitive. StarCraft even bothers explaining all it's advanced modes and formations in a series of missions so players can start playing on an advanced level.

Hell look at Deus Ex as far as using multiple solutions to solve the same problem, that's the proper way to use problem solving instead of widly flailing around just trying to see what random combinations of stuff works. Adventure games did that poo poo with convoluted problems and even more convoluted solutions and that's what turned people off to them.

It's six of one, half-dozen of another. To me, a clear-cut parallel can be drawn to Dota 2/League of Legends. I've been trying to get all of my friends to play Dota for a few years. Every time they try, they give up within one or two matches because 'all of the heroes are OP' or 'everything is too complicated' and they run back to LoL. Yet, both games are successful. One is more 'difficult', but that's not the right word either. Dota just has infinitely more nuances and mechanics to explore and master as you play the game. There is no tutorial (at least there never used to be) for creep stacking, blocking, pulling, animation cancelling, orb walking, etc. You just play and play and learn the more advanced systems and get better and better.

It's the same thing with most popular multiplayer games that have actual depth. It has literally nothing to do with jack of all trades/master of none to the point where I don't even think you understand what that phrase is meant to describe. From what I've played of W101, there are definitely camera issues, but it's not as if the morphs don't work, or you get to a section and you have no idea how to beat it because the game didn't explain to you what happens when you press the A button (which is STILL not jack of all trades).

Honestly, I spend the first hour of most games just jamming the equivalent of the 'hurry the gently caress up with the tutorials and let me play the game' button because games nowadays go way overboard on the hand-holding (I'm looking at you Zelda). I would actually prefer a no-tutorial mode where they drop you in and you have to figure out what every button does and how you can build morphs and chain morphs, but I realize I'm in the vast minority there.

Regardless, the game bucks the trend of holding your hand and it's clear you don't like that, but it has literally nothing to do with trying to throw an infinite NUMBER of game mechanics or systems at you.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Protokoll posted:

It's six of one, half-dozen of another. To me, a clear-cut parallel can be drawn to Dota 2/League of Legends. I've been trying to get all of my friends to play Dota for a few years. Every time they try, they give up within one or two matches because 'all of the heroes are OP' or 'everything is too complicated' and they run back to LoL. Yet, both games are successful. One is more 'difficult', but that's not the right word either. Dota just has infinitely more nuances and mechanics to explore and master as you play the game. There is no tutorial (at least there never used to be) for creep stacking, blocking, pulling, animation cancelling, orb walking, etc. You just play and play and learn the more advanced systems and get better and better.

It's the same thing with most popular multiplayer games that have actual depth. It has literally nothing to do with jack of all trades/master of none to the point where I don't even think you understand what that phrase is meant to describe. From what I've played of W101, there are definitely camera issues, but it's not as if the morphs don't work, or you get to a section and you have no idea how to beat it because the game didn't explain to you what happens when you press the A button (which is STILL not jack of all trades).

Honestly, I spend the first hour of most games just jamming the equivalent of the 'hurry the gently caress up with the tutorials and let me play the game' button because games nowadays go way overboard on the hand-holding (I'm looking at you Zelda). I would actually prefer a no-tutorial mode where they drop you in and you have to figure out what every button does and how you can build morphs and chain morphs, but I realize I'm in the vast minority there.

Regardless, the game bucks the trend of holding your hand and it's clear you don't like that, but it has literally nothing to do with trying to throw an infinite NUMBER of game mechanics or systems at you.

It's not that I don't like the game it's just that it's a 60 dollar game that's got some notable and valid flaws to it. It could have used more fine tuning or leaving some of the stuff on the cutting room floor. I mean if it was supposed to be that experimental it should have probably been priced at 20 dollars like Katamari, Ico, and Tokyo Jungle. Hell Rayman Origins sold terribly at 50 dollars but as soon as the price dropped to 10 or 20 bucks it picked right up and allowed there for a Sequel to be made that fixed the problems with the original.

A tutorial mode would have helped since you're dishing out a lot of commands. It doesn't have to be mandatory but putting the option of there like a Training Mode in fighting games, would have probably better explained the systems they put into the game.

Because I've put in over 600 hours in games like Monster Hunter 3 U, I don't need a game to hold my hand. But the reviewers are not me and they should have taken that into account that other people might need it.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 15, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You need other abilities to get to them IIRC.

WendigoJohnson posted:

You could make two comparisons between Metal gear Solid:Revengence and something like Anarchy Reigns. Revengence explained all it's systems thoroughly and used them to their full extent, where as Anarchy decided to take Spawn:Dark Arena add in an adventure mode and then never utilize the adventure game aspects to their full extent and leave it hanging.

One of the primary criticisms of Revengence was that it didn't explain itself enough and many people who played the game didn't understand basic mechanics even as far as the final boss, so I don't get what you mean here. Like the complaints people have about W101 exactly mirror the complaints from Revengence.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 15, 2013

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

I'm at 118 points on my Shirogane Drive. From what I can tell, the first two custom slots open at 40, then 80 points. The next two take 80 each, then the final two take 160 each. That means you need 560 (40+40+80+80+160+160) points to get the final custom slot.

If each Wonderful One has four levels, and 4 * 100 is 400, then where do the other 160 points come from? That would take another 40 dudes to level up.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

One of the primary criticisms of Revengence was that it didn't explain itself enough and many people who played the game didn't understand basic mechanics even as far as the final boss, so I don't get what you mean here. Like the complaints people have about W101 exactly mirror the complaints from Revengence.

I was more or less just thinking about preforming the directional slicing since that was the main focus of the game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wow I hate the boss of operation 2

I keep trying but he always destroys the tower. I have no idea how to keep him from spamming his missile fire or any of the attacks that seem to be unstoppable (him slam dunking buildings etc). Combined with the fact that once again the unite QTE's would not work I'm pissed off.

Like I'm sure I'll look silly if I ever figure it out but those should NOT have been in the game. I have gun out. "I'll wait for a QTE to pop up" *slam* "Oh whip? I'll wait for a QTE to pop up I have it out" *hit* "Okay whip again this time I'll try to hit the button before he connects" *hit*

It just isn't working.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I keep trying but he always destroys the tower. I have no idea how to keep him from spamming his missile fire or any of the attacks that seem to be unstoppable (him slam dunking buildings etc). Combined with the fact that once again the unite QTE's would not work I'm pissed off.

Like I'm sure I'll look silly if I ever figure it out but those should NOT have been in the game. I have gun out. "I'll wait for a QTE to pop up" *slam* "Oh whip? I'll wait for a QTE to pop up I have it out" *hit* "Okay whip again this time I'll try to hit the button before he connects" *hit*

It just isn't working.

Missile fire is either Unite Hammer (on replay) or just attack him while he's doing it. There's probably other counters too but it's one of his least-threatening moves. It's not actually that damaging and leaves him massively vulnerable. Throwing the building is Unite Gun, you shoot him before he slams it into you. Every move he has has a direct and simple counter. Try to think about what he's doing and counter it.

I don't know why you're having such problems but not every Unite works the same way. The faces are more like hints what you should be using. Try to experiment.

Edit: For example, the whip unite in that fight is grabbing Pink Leader as he flies by. You need to be in the right position to do so. It isn't hitting the enemy an trying to use the whip to block his attacks is going to get you smashed.

Another thing to mention is that the Custom Blocks quite literally change the game. Speed Charge and Unite Charge are huge and will massively increase your combat potential. Stuff like Hero Time, Hero Counter and Hero Sense give you new abilities to use which are ridiculously powerful. (Hero Time is Witch Time, Hero Counter is Moons, Hero Sense is effectively a free "nosell an attack" as long as you have unite charge which is borderline cheating in power.) Buy those before anything else and save your Credit Cards for buying them.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 16, 2013

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

How did I get 102?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dieting Hippo posted:

How did I get 102?

100 is not actually the maximum number available to you. You'll occasionally recruit other plot-relevant characters who put you over 100.

in the miso soup
Aug 16, 2013
I can't remember who you have for that level, but you probably have some story characters in your group e.g. Luka or Immorta

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It just isn't working.

The only attack of his that is completely unblockable is where he puts his finger to his temple and fires a parallel jet of drills, the rest are all reflectable or able to be mitigated. All his fist and hand smashes can be Guts'd, the giant piece of debris he waits a moment to throw can be shot in his hands with gun, the bombs can be thrown or shot back at him with gun's absorb function, etc. I think the drills MIGHT be reflectable with a certain secret character's unite morph but I only just unlocked him so I'll check next time I play.

Echoing on the buying stuff with cards; it is absolutely worth it to save your space vegetables for only making the cards as if you look around the levels a bit you can easily get enough consumable health items to last you however long. You can buy them cheaply in the shop between missions if you're absolutely gagging for them while you're learning the basics, but bottom line is it's just not worth it at all to get anything BUT cards.

You also get handed a decent amount of the screen nuke items if you ever want to use them, but I personally never have because they reduce your score. Use your cards to get anything over 400k, and try to get Spring, Guts, Speed Liner, Unite Charge, Speed Charge up and running fast. ImpAtom already mentioned the best custom blocks aside from those ones, though it's worth mentioning some of them have really wonky mechanics and interactions with others (Hero Counter makes you almost unable to pick up bombs with gun unless you run really slow into them, as you autocounter and blow them up, Hero Sense will trigger when you reflect stuff with Guts and possibly even gently caress up your timing and gauge usage hard).

tl;dr: Very, very rare to have a boss with lots of unblockable attacks, that one only has one. Only use vegetables on cards, buy the most expensive (but useful) stuff with them.

EDIT: \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

This is also a decent strategy, but it does one run risk; if you extend the wonder-liner into an enemy or surface that actively repels all attacks except a specific kind of attack (i.e. Turtles and Hammer) it'll kill your combo and also knock a ton of your guys out suddenly. Good thing we can turn these things off!

The Wicked Wall fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 16, 2013

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

I think I also found a way of never losing all your health. I've got Energy Converter and the Attack Liner on, and when I throw the Attack Liner into enemies, it fills my unite energy bar. Once that fills, my health starts to rocket up. You can also cancel the liner once you run out of people and do it again, and you'll keep all accrued energy/health.

Never use an item for health or energy again. It's especially useful when fighting Vorkken and his 100, since you gain more energy from each enemy hit.

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Wicked Wall posted:

The only attack of his that is completely unblockable is where he puts his finger to his temple and fires a parallel jet of drills, the rest are all reflectable or able to be mitigated. All his fist and hand smashes can be Guts'd, the giant piece of debris he waits a moment to throw can be shot in his hands with gun, the bombs can be thrown or shot back at him with gun's absorb function, etc. I think the drills MIGHT be reflectable with a certain secret character's unite morph but I only just unlocked him so I'll check next time I play.

Echoing on the buying stuff with cards; it is absolutely worth it to save your space vegetables for only making the cards as if you look around the levels a bit you can easily get enough consumable health items to last you however long. You can buy them cheaply in the shop between missions if you're absolutely gagging for them while you're learning the basics, but bottom line is it's just not worth it at all to get anything BUT cards.

You also get handed a decent amount of the screen nuke items if you ever want to use them, but I personally never have because they reduce your score. Use your cards to get anything over 400k, and try to get Spring, Guts, Speed Liner, Unite Charge, Speed Charge up and running fast. ImpAtom already mentioned the best custom blocks aside from those ones, though it's worth mentioning some of them have really wonky mechanics and interactions with others (Hero Counter makes you almost unable to pick up bombs with gun unless you run really slow into them, as you autocounter and blow them up, Hero Sense will trigger when you reflect stuff with Guts and possibly even gently caress up your timing and gauge usage hard).

tl;dr: Very, very rare to have a boss with lots of unblockable attacks, that one only has one. Only use vegetables on cards, buy the most expensive (but useful) stuff with them.

It's not even a secret character. Unite Hammer can stop the damage from the missiles. I'm fairly sure you're right that Unify Naginata can stop them too tho'.

Yeah, Hero Sense is very very powerful but it interacts poorly with Unite Guts so if you find yourself relying on Unite Guts you might want to go for Hero Counter instead because they play better together. (As far as bombs go I basically use Unite Whip for them almost universally just because it feels more reliable to me so I didn't encounter the Hero Counter problem.) You're probably not going to be able to equip everything so try to figure out what plays nicely with your playstyle. (Speed Liner and Unite Charge are absolutely great to have early on though. You can probably switch out Unite Charge later on for something else once you get comfortable with drawing huge lines.)

Dieting Hippo posted:

I think I also found a way of never losing all your health. I've got Energy Converter and the Attack Liner on, and when I throw the Attack Liner into enemies, it fills my unite energy bar. Once that fills, my health starts to rocket up. You can also cancel the liner once you run out of people and do it again, and you'll keep all accrued energy/health.

Never use an item for health or energy again. It's especially useful when fighting Vorkken and his 100, since you gain more energy from each enemy hit.

To add to this: Hero Camp will instantly refill all of your unite gauge if you activate it for even a second. If you're low, back off and Camp for a minute to refresh your energy.

• Locked thread