Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reformed Pessimist
Apr 18, 2007
I'm having a bizarre issue in my current Burgundy game. I'm the Emperor of Francia, King of France, King of Burgundy. I have the Queen of Aquitaine and the King of Hungary as my vassals. (Won Hungary in a crusade.) They are not the problem though.

The Duke of Provence is constantly being an rear end in a top hat by nominating other successors for the Kingdom of Burgundy and starting factions. His biggest bitch is that he wants control of the County of Venaissin. It's currently ruled by a count who is a direct vassal of my Emperor. When I attempt to transfer vassalage to the Duke of Provence the Count of Venaissin is not in the list of vassals I can transfer to him.

I would prefer not to revoke the county and give it directly to the Duke of Provence as I don't want him getting more powerful than he is. I just can't figure out why I can't transfer this count to him to make him a direct vassal of the Duke instead of me, thus solving one of this guy's biggest complaints and maybe calming him down a bit.

My only guess is that Venaissin is no longer a de jure part of the Duchy of Provence which makes me wonder why not having it is a complaint for the Duke of Provence if that's the case? Any ideas on why I can't pass this vassal on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Counties can't drift out of duchies at all, so that's not it. That's really weird, and I can't think why it wouldn't show up... Uh... Did you try sorting by rank on the transfer vassalage screen, and double/triple checked? Dunno. Otherwise you could always try granting the count of Venaissin a county in a different kingdom and trying to transfer his vassalage to the other guy, that way the duke of Provence will be pissed at his new liege rather than you. Makes for ugly as gently caress internal borders though :v:

Allyn fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 14, 2013

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah this piece of poo poo came to my court, I pressed his claim and he became independent. He refused vassalization even though his opinion was 100 because he was Italian and I'm Castille. Then I tried reloading and giving him land before pressing the claim. I gave him the land, and then the claim war for the county I wanted just wasn't available. So basically this game works in mysterious ways.

Reformed Pessimist
Apr 18, 2007
Yeah I sorted it by rank and the only count that showed up was one of my German counts. I even specifically looked for this guy's name which is Loui which was weird enough to stand out and he's not on the list at all.

I'll give your suggestion a try and at least redirect the Duke's anger on to someone else. I wouldn't even care so much but the Kingdom of Burgundy has so few electors that if the Duke of Provence and even one or two others go against my nominee then I risk losing Burgundy and I don't want that.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Oh, did you check if he was revolting against the duke at the time? Like the duke was trying to revoke the county or something (war of tyranny)? You can't transfer his vassalage back to the duke if they're at war. That would make sense. Would also mean you couldn't transfer his vassalage to someone else, I don't think.

Reformed Pessimist
Apr 18, 2007
Oh I didn't even think of that. France is a constant battleground of petty wars between counts and dukes so I'm betting this is the issue.

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.

fleshweasel posted:

Yeah this piece of poo poo came to my court, I pressed his claim and he became independent. He refused vassalization even though his opinion was 100 because he was Italian and I'm Castille. Then I tried reloading and giving him land before pressing the claim. I gave him the land, and then the claim war for the county I wanted just wasn't available. So basically this game works in mysterious ways.

Often, if a claimant's opinion of you is high enough, and all the other conditions are met - same culture, same religion, you have much more power than them, and you're two ranks higher than them (i.e. if they're a count, you must be a king) - this is enough to override the penalty for not being the claimant's de jure liege, and you can get someone whose claim you've just pressed to become your vassal. If you don't meet those requirements, however, it's virtually impossible.

Note, however, that you don't have to give the courtier land before starting the war; you just have to give him land before making peace. In my current game, I pressed my courtier's claim on a neighboring county, got to 100% warscore, and landed him in one of my demesne counties before accepting the enemy surrender, and he got the claimed county and remained my vassal. Then I got the option to plot-revoke the county of my demesne I had given to him, which I did; he wasn't particularly happy, but the -80 for "revoked my title" plus the -20 for "title claimant" (on the title I had stripped from him) was a wash with the +100 for "pressed my claim," so he still didn't hate my guts too badly. (And since it was a plot revocation, I got no tyranny and gained +1 intrigue for my trouble.) Sure, his son will still have a -20 penalty towards me for that claim he'll inherit, but I can live with that.

(Since he was outside my de jure title and not of my culture, just pressing his claim as a courtier and asking for vassalization would not have worked, even though he would have liked me much better that way.)

So, my advice to you would be to reload your game again, press the claim, land him just before you make peace, and see how things work then. I can't explain why you don't get the option to press his claim once he's landed, but I think my suggestion should work.

Glass Hand fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 14, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

If I'm sending a councilor at someone (eg spy network to assassinate or chancellor to raise opinion) should I send them where they are or where their capital is? Like, if they're leading an army but not moving it, should I move the chancellor there?

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

If I'm sending a councilor at someone (eg spy network to assassinate or chancellor to raise opinion) should I send them where they are or where their capital is? Like, if they're leading an army but not moving it, should I move the chancellor there?

I'm actually unsure about chancellors, but I know for a fact that your spymaster has to be plopped down where the target currently is. Like if you want to kill the king of France and he's leading troops in Hainaut, you need to put your spymaster in Hainaut to make it work. The same applies to tutored children: you have to put your spymaster where the child is being tutored, i.e. guardian's place.

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.
It's true with the proselytize action of the court chaplain, too. Courtiers not of your religion who are off leading armies will not be converted by a chaplain proselytizing in your capital.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Does the Muslim invasion CB (the 500 piety one) work differently than, er, every other invasion CB in the game? Invaded the Seljuks as the Fatimids, occupied all of Arabia and Syria, press enforce demands... and it just vassalizes everyone in Syria instead. It says "takes all occupied territory" which sounds like it shouldn't be different and is just bugging out. The gently caress?

e: Just tested it on another game and I think the tooltip is just straight up wrong. You get any holdings owned by the person you're attacking, but vassalize everything else; the usual "take all occupied territory" does not happen :sigh:

Allyn fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 14, 2013

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Reveilled posted:

I promised my daughter I'd find her a husband and then sort of forgot about it. So when she came back to remind me, apparently I just found some random fella to be her husband. Literally:

:fella:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Is it worth it to have two empire-level titles simultaneously in an elective setup? The Holy Polish Empire has a nice ring to it, but I don't wanna lose half my land in a bad election.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

StashAugustine posted:

Is it worth it to have two empire-level titles simultaneously in an elective setup? The Holy Polish Empire has a nice ring to it, but I don't wanna lose half my land in a bad election.

Dude, totally. And if you lose half your land you can take that chance to get it all back. :black101:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Also it means you have a bunch of irritable king vassals who get the "Desires X title" malus.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Is CK2+ Cont. still causing crusades/jihad's not to be called?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 15, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So I just won a crusade for Italy from the Fraticelli Genoese. All the trade posts (everywhere) seem to have been wiped out. Is there anything I should with merchant republics as an Emperor?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Any news on a new DLC? I'm killing to try out some theocracies.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

So I just won a crusade for Italy from the Fraticelli Genoese. All the trade posts (everywhere) seem to have been wiped out. Is there anything I should with merchant republics as an Emperor?

They hate being your vassal but give you tons of money. Cut them loose first if you're having trouble controlling the realm, since you'll still make your trade post cut.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

I think I found the most alternativist piece of history ever in this game. A hunchback ethiopian-pomeranian reformed norse queen who used her military genius to sieze the throne and is now fighting to close a portal to hell that opened in her back garden.

I really want her to do well but the Scandinavians cut Pomerania down to three provinces before the last Pomeranian king converted and they seem determined to take every province north of the Danube.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The Byzantines must have waged a subjugation war for some reason, but... why?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Reveilled posted:

I think I found the most alternativist piece of history ever in this game. A hunchback ethiopian-pomeranian reformed norse queen who used her military genius to sieze the throne and is now fighting to close a portal to hell that opened in her back garden.

I really want her to do well but the Scandinavians cut Pomerania down to three provinces before the last Pomeranian king converted and they seem determined to take every province north of the Danube.

I can only picture the Bosch paintings that could be made of this queen's life. :swoon:

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Is CK2+ Cont. still causing crusades/jihad's not to be called?

I saw a crusade for Jerusalem around 1100 in my last game.

For what it's worth it was from the 1000 start date, but they definitely are there.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

So something pretty cool's happened in my game.

I'm playing as "Lennsland", the titular kingdom created by my also ruler-created Lennart Lennling (I'm super cool and not :spergin: at all, guys, I swear). Over about ~100 years I've conquered my way from Cornwall to East Anglia and made myself a nice little kingdom (to make sure that things do not stay nice, however, I've created dynasties for each of his children, leaving the kingdom kind of unstable). Entirely independent of me, the AI Norse Pagans have conquered Scotland, middle/northern England, and Frisia of all places. They've formed their own kingdoms, titular (Jorvik) or otherwise (Skotland-Frisia).

Oh. And one king in the Scandinavia went loving bananas.

Do you see that cyan eyesore? That's the freaking Triple-Kingdom of Scania, Denmark, and Sweden forged by the boozy hands of Queen Asa the Drunkard. She began as the Queen of Scania (then just a minor grossly floruescent patch of color) then something triggered in the AI's code because she conquered most of southern Sweden, married the Jarl of Uppland, then made a buttload of titles—the money from all of this I assume came from raiding or something. I would have figured the AI would have made Denmark or Sweden its primary title, but nope! Scania is it's primary in all its jarring glory.

But not only did Queen Asa conquer a whole bunch of frostbitten norsemen, she reformed the norse religion.

This has thrown Britain into complete chaos. Lennsland is ruled by an Astrau (one of the reformed norse names (the most :black101: being Odinism) king, but half of the most important dukes are Old Norse; Jorvik's in pretty much the same situation; Skotland is ruled by the Old Norse descendant of Ivar the Boneless, Queen Aslaug the Black, Frisia, however, is ruled by Aslaug's Astrau sister, Duchess Skuld of Holland.

So yeah, crazy poo poo's happening. I haven't even been paying attention to the Karlings, but it looks like they're up to their usual incestuous death-spiral.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So if I request an invasion from the pope, and my ruler dies (most likely of old age) during the invasion, what happens?

I'm playing an Ua Briain game and I finally united Ireland. Murchad is 63 right now and I've got a few options for what to do with his remaining years, the two main ones being take 10,000 men to the Levant crusading (Fatamids currently can only raise 17k troops and are fighting an invasion against the Seljuks) or request an invasion of Scotland (who can muster only about half the troops I can).

I suspect invading Scotland would be the more profitable thing to do, but my Murchad is a walking pile of virtues so I might just do the "in character" thing and go Crusading. It'd be good to get my Grandson the Crusader trait anyways. And who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and I'll be able to put a Ua Briain on the throne of Jerusalem (for a decade or two before the Fatamids and/or Seljuks crush him).

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 15, 2013

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So if I request an invasion from the pope, and my ruler dies (most likely of old age) during the invasion, what happens?

I'm playing an Ua Briain game and I finally united Ireland. Murchad is 63 right now and I've got a few options for what to do with his remaining years, the two main ones being take 10,000 men to the Levant crusading (Fatamids currently can only raise 17k troops and are fighting an invasion against the Seljuks) or request an invasion of Scotland (who can muster only about half the troops I can).

I suspect invading Scotland would be the more profitable thing to do, but my Murchad is a walking pile of virtues so I might just do the "in character" thing and go Crusading. It'd be good to get my Grandson the Crusader trait anyways. And who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and I'll be able to put a Ua Briain on the throne of Jerusalem (for a decade or two before the Fatamids and/or Seljuks crush him).

The invasion immediately ends and you have to request another from the Pope with your new ruler. If their ruler dies, the invasion immediately ends but I think you can start another one immediately. Because you pressed the claim in war, though, your kids will at least inherit it, which is... something, I guess

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That is what I figured. Well, I have no desire to see Murchad croak half-way through stomping Scotland, so it sounds like he's gonna take a trip to the levant.

Scotland can be Brian or Sean's problem.

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Say I wanted to make it possible to change more than one crown law per ruler, what file would I have to edit?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Cocksmith posted:

Say I wanted to make it possible to change more than one crown law per ruler, what file would I have to edit?

I don't think that you can mod the default one, but you could just add a regular decision that increased centralization. It would show up where feasts and that kind of thing are.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I think you can just open the console and use "allow_laws" to change whatever.

I just started a new game in Ireland during the Old Gods start and its, uh, different than the original start. It's been touch and go a few times so I hadn't been paying attention to the rest of the map. I happened to glance East maybe 30 years into the game and Hungary has taken all of the Byzantine Empire except Croatia (where the new capital is) and a few provinces in the eastern edge. Now they're expanding east and north. Mega Hungary don't gently caress around.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I'm trying to reform Norse Paganism and I'm really not sure how to raise moral authority enough. Sweden and I (Norway) are both Old Norse (the only Old Norse remaining), and we control the entirety of Scandinavia. Nobody is loving with us, so we're basically free to do whatever. The problem is that Sweden controls 2 holy sites and I control 1, and moral authority is at 31. I just don't see how, frankly, to raise it any higher. Nobody declares holy wars on either of us (last time it happened it ended very badly for them :black101:), and neither of us can prepare invasions anymore. Help?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I'm trying to reform Norse Paganism and I'm really not sure how to raise moral authority enough. Sweden and I (Norway) are both Old Norse (the only Old Norse remaining), and we control the entirety of Scandinavia. Nobody is loving with us, so we're basically free to do whatever. The problem is that Sweden controls 2 holy sites and I control 1, and moral authority is at 31. I just don't see how, frankly, to raise it any higher. Nobody declares holy wars on either of us (last time it happened it ended very badly for them :black101:), and neither of us can prepare invasions anymore. Help?

You've just gotta try and inch towards the final two holy sites. Holding all five will have you over 50% for sure. It's not even a question of moral authority really, because getting the extra two will give you an extra 10% for each -- it's that you need to have 3 within the same realm. So you've either gotta subjugate Sweden and spam county conquests for that 1% MA each time, or go get the other two yourself. No other options, to be honest.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Allyn posted:

You've just gotta try and inch towards the final two holy sites. Holding all five will have you over 50% for sure. It's not even a question of moral authority really, because getting the extra two will give you an extra 10% for each -- it's that you need to have 3 within the same realm. So you've either gotta subjugate Sweden and spam county conquests for that 1% MA each time, or go get the other two yourself. No other options, to be honest.

You can actually reform with all five holy sites in your realm regardless of your moral authority.

One other alternative is to build temples, which boost your moral authority. Rather expensive though.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Allyn posted:

Meh. Guess I'll just slowly work for it, since both of the continental Europe sites are under the control of Bavaria. I'm currently adjusting to a new ruler with horrendous stats (How? I gave him the best tutor I had and his diplomacy is 0! :negative:)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Meh. Guess I'll just slowly work for it, since both of the continental Europe sites are under the control of Bavaria. I'm currently adjusting to a new ruler with horrendous stats (How? I gave him the best tutor I had and his diplomacy is 0! :negative:)

:ese:? Does he have any brothers?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Dauntasa posted:

:ese:? Does he have any brothers?
No. I don't know how that happened when I usually have to start killing my kids so I avoid horrible succession crises.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Its fun to ride lovely rulers out. Just think "Is this a lovely thing to do?" and if the answer is yes, then do it. Spices up the game.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Burning churches raises your moral authority as well. Send out the raiders on a church burning european tour.

Tom Smykowski posted:

Its fun to ride lovely rulers out. Just think "Is this a lovely thing to do?" and if the answer is yes, then do it. Spices up the game.

Yeah some of my most successful and fun to play as rulers have had terrible stats. Having a beautiful strong genius ruler is overrated.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Tom Smykowski posted:

My main problem is if I didn't name a ruler his rear end will never sit on the throne. If I had a mod to name every kid in my dynasty then things wouldn't get so violent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

marktheando posted:

Burning churches raises your moral authority as well. Send out the raiders on a church burning european tour.

Yeah some of my most successful and fun to play as rulers have had terrible stats. Having a beautiful strong genius ruler is overrated.
I listen to black and folk metal while playing Norse rulers, because raiding and human sacrifices are metal as gently caress.

If you reform the religion you still get human sacrifice, right?

My biggest problem with bad rulers is that the demesne limit shrinks, so I have to go distribute a few provinces so I'm not double the cap. My old King had a demesne limit of 7 (and held 9 provinces, since the penalty is worth the extra 2 provinces), and now I have a demesne limit of 5 (with 10 provinces)...I try and keep a large set of provinces so that I have the personal military forces to blow up rebelling vassals. And when you then have a good heir that can support that many provinces, it's annoying to have to try and get extra provinces back.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 15, 2013

• Locked thread