Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Bell_ posted:

Oh, I definitely don't see her lasting into the next intermission. But most of the criticism I've seen stems from attributes Vriska may very well monopolize.

I'm sure at some point shell grow a mustache and twirl it, but the most objectively thing I've seen her do so far was done against ghosts and while there is not a Ruth to be found in her inventory I haven't seen any unintentional or unnecessary damage committed since her return to the living.

Yeah to be fair, Areana only seems to have tackled the logical issues so far. I mean hell, just a few pages ago we were talking about the likelihood of Jade getting possessed again, cue Areana making absolutely sure that doesn't happen.

Areana isn't evil, just ruthless and overconfident in a way only a Serket could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Well, as a billions-of-years-old re-lifed ghost who knows everything about everything, she's probably in on the villain's handbook and knows that if somebody has even the slightest chance of stopping her at some point, they will. As a Serket who Always Knows Best and has difficulty grasping what the whole point of Sburb/Sgrub is, she'd have no problem with killing everybody she needs to if that is the simplest way to make sure she wins / is proven right / gets to Be The Hero.

The real loose end is why HIC hasn't simply mind-controlled Aranea by now. Surely there's a reason for that beyond "it would be inconvenient to how Aranea thinks this is supposed to go", and it wouldn't be very satisfying if Aranea is simply incapable of being mind-controlled just 'cuz. If the Ring of Life prevents it (because mind control is anti-life :v:), then you'd think the Thief of Life would be the ideal person to deal with that wrinkle too.

The answer is "because Jade and Jane didn't tell her Aranea was there because they wanted to not waste her time".

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

So is the deal that andrew hussie is terrified of emotional investment or is it just that he really wants to hammer the theme that ~much like homestuck, growing up is meandering and anticlimactic~ and pat himself on the back for interjecting a major theme of the comic into the structure of the comic? It's a mystery.

Knowing that these events are going to probably be resolved in the least satisfying possible manner makes me less happy wiht how they're going, even if i'm enjoying each individual update immensely. It's a shame.

Probably the latter! To me, Homestuck feels like a mockery of the traditional hero's journey. Yeah, the main characters might not be doing anything impressive like getting magical swords or slaying great beasts, but that's okay becuase that stuff isn't really useful anymore, and the kind of people who do get obsessed with that kind of journey end up become emotionally stunted manchildren who make life miserable for everyone because they never took the time to make friends and grow as a person.

I dunno, maybe its because I don't get too wrapped up in the stupid fan stuff, and I take breaks from the comic every once and awhile, but I'm not too worried with the way the comic will end.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Probably the latter! To me, Homestuck feels like a mockery of the traditional hero's journey. Yeah, the main characters might not be doing anything impressive like getting magical swords or slaying great beasts, but that's okay becuase that stuff isn't really useful anymore, and the kind of people who do get obsessed with that kind of journey end up become emotionally stunted manchildren who make life miserable for everyone because they never took the time to make friends and grow as a person.

As opposed to Homestucks heroes who...don't do much of all and become more broken as time goes on. (I mean Look at Dave, dude's kissing an alien who doesn't even know his name!)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
All these flaws in homestuck are making me worried about how Hussie will handle the Namco dating sim :ohdear:

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

As opposed to Homestucks heroes who...don't do much of all and become more broken as time goes on. (I mean Look at Dave, dude's kissing an alien who doesn't even know his name!)

Everybody should want to kiss the mayor. That is a perfectly normal thing to want to do.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

All these flaws in homestuck are making me worried about how Hussie will handle the Namco dating sim :ohdear:

I'm pretty sure he'll be forced to have an editor for a major company's published game. And that alone will help his writing massively.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Oh c'mon like you wouldn't kiss the mayor. :colbert:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I hope Jade comes back but only if she's still evil Jade. Regular Jade is boring as hell.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Evil Jade is boring as hell too, honestly.

ALEX TRILLTON
Sep 9, 2011

IF I'M EVER A DICK ON THE INTERNET, TELL PAULSEPHIROTH'S MOM

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I dunno, maybe its because I don't get too wrapped up in the stupid fan stuff, and I take breaks from the comic every once and awhile, but I'm not too worried with the way the comic will end.

I tend to avoid fan stuff as well, for extremel obvious reasons; the only reason I'm worried is because in order for the point to really be effective the ending has to be unsatisfying, which is sort of a catch-22 for a fun read, and homestuck is about Kids And Fun. Homestuck has enough goodwill built up for it to unironically go on a "totally epic, bro" tangent like what's happening now, since Andrew Hussie's writing oozes charm, but if he does that the feel of the ending is going to be really "off".

People say that Homestuck needed to be edited extremely badly, and it probably does, but at the same time the theme is tied into its structure and it might not work as well if it's tightly edited since a big part of Homestuck is despite all the flash,wit, and appearance of plot motion, nothing actually happens for the vast majority of it, which is probably why people on tumblr have such a bad time explaining what the plot is.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

I tend to avoid fan stuff as well, for extremel obvious reasons; the only reason I'm worried is because in order for the point to really be effective the ending has to be unsatisfying, which is sort of a catch-22 for a fun read, and homestuck is about Kids And Fun. Homestuck has enough goodwill built up for it to unironically go on a "totally epic, bro" tangent like what's happening now, since Andrew Hussie's writing oozes charm, but if he does that the feel of the ending is going to be really "off".

People say that Homestuck needed to be edited extremely badly, and it probably does, but at the same time the theme is tied into its structure and it might not work as well if it's tightly edited since a big part of Homestuck is despite all the flash,wit, and appearance of plot motion, nothing actually happens for the vast majority of it, which is probably why people on tumblr have such a bad time explaining what the plot is.

I don't know about editing, but having someone or something that doesn't let Hussie just run completely rampant would help.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I really sort of have to assume this whole thing's going to make sense when the intermission's done with. I'm sure those retconn-y powers are going to be used, I'm just not sure in what capacity.

I do find it kind of funny to read this thread, though. "Bleh, it's just death, she's gonna get better, death has always been super-duper irrelevant when in the Stuckest of Homes, especially for God Tiers."

*8R8K*

"Hussie, what you're doing is narratively destructive and inconsistent!"

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?
No, what we're saying is "oh, I guess THAT method of resurrection is out, that just leaves, oh, the other 20 still available."

I really have to agree with the others that I'm far less invested in Homestuck than I was a year ago. At first, I put it down to the new kids being really boring and flat characters, but then I realized it was because Hussie doesn't do anything to advance the growth or direction of the characters. All their development happens offscreen, so we never get a feel for their relationships with each other other than second-hand references. None the characters have done anything to meaningfully defeat the bad guy that's being increasingly cluttered with 3 or 4 others and whose identity, origin, and ultimate goals are still somewhat vague. It all contributes to a feeling of confusion about what are we supposed to care about and indifference to the updates as they feel less like advancements for the plot and more of a way for Hussie to jerk the audience around with anticlimaxes. Observe how we still all go "meh" to Jade first being de-grimbarked and then killed, since we all expect the changes to be reversed in a second.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

You all laughed at me back in the middle of Jakechat! You called my criticisms mad! Well, WHO'S LAUGHING NOW!? Aaaaaah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaa!

The never-ending procession of new characters and the plot branches they bring with them just keeps growing, and it's bludgeoned the original "plot" of this thing into incoherence. Like what that other guy said, the main reason I tune in now is just to see how this lumbering monster of a story ends. And Karkat.

Because you're like the lost souls of tv iv. You cannot leave alone t h at which you claim to hate. In five months you and the others like you will still be here, still posting about how bad homestuck is now. How you dislike the new kids. How much you hate the fandom. Negative upon negative upon negative. But you will never leave this thread. That's why we laugh. But maybe the more proper response is to cry.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just like homestuck :unsmith:

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I don't know that I have much to add to the discussion that hasn't been said by others already, but I can definitely echo the sentiment of not feeling as invested as I was.

Jade was my favourite of the initial group. Squeal Like A Pig And Fertilize Some Plants won me over initially, the way she was willing to just go along with the ridiculous instruction and really enjoy it tickled me. Then seeing her grow to the point she was swearing at Karkat won her a special place in my affections. I don't mind admitting I got a little moist of eye during Cascade when she ascended to Dog Tier with that big smile on her face letting Davesprite know everything was going to be ok. Then going on to do the epic Spacey Thing had me cheering her on. It was a moment of major triumph for a character who'd just come back from a major shaving foam related defeat.

And yet these past couple of updates, my only response has been a vague sense of wry amusement over how Hussie's going about how she's dead. She's really dead. Look, even the clock says she's dead. Except She's not dead. She's just out of the story for a while. The only characters we've seen actually properly die are a horde of alternate timestream ghosts who got disintegrated to establish that LE is a threat beyond the plethora of available resurrection methods, and who gives a gently caress about them?

It was said best up thread, they've stopped being characters and they've become plot elements. I'm still engaged. I want to see how the plot elements will combine to resolve the story. I've just lost the attachment to the characters I once had.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Yeah Man posted:

No, what we're saying is "oh, I guess THAT method of resurrection is out, that just leaves, oh, the other 20 still available."

And those things have saved precisely jack dick so far.

I'm reasonably sure that the point of all those was to gently caress with your expectations, and people have fallen for it despite the fact that the tangible evidence is actually stacked pretty well against it. More god-tier players have stayed dead than come back to life, Jane's rez power is really restrictive and probably can't be used to solve the 'stuck under a house' problem (and we have no evidence against the fact this isn't Aranea's plan anyway), and Aranea has the Ring of Life.

The only real Jade-saving mechanism that's definitely still in play is John stopping her from ever dying, and that relies on John getting there in time.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Cleretic posted:

The only real Jade-saving mechanism that's definitely still in play is John stopping her from ever dying, and that relies on John getting there in time.

I fail to see how that will be a problem for John as long as he has the retconned power.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Dude, if I've made it this far into Homestuck I can weather it out to the end.

Act 5.2 was the point where I was the most miserable with this story. The worst Act 6 has really, honestly given me is a bunch of eyerolls. This is just one of them.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Tollymain posted:

I feel the same way; while everyone is getting all worked up about the nearly non-existent narrative consequences of death or whatever, I'm just over here, having a chuckle over Dave giving the Mayor a smooch on his forehead. :shrug:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I like Homestuck but I'd like it a lot more if it actually focused on the characters who are supposedly the main ones. I don't think they even comprise a majority of the plot at this point.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dave quit talking into your rear end.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Cleretic posted:

And those things have saved precisely jack dick so far.

I'm reasonably sure that the point of all those was to gently caress with your expectations, and people have fallen for it despite the fact that the tangible evidence is actually stacked pretty well against it. More god-tier players have stayed dead than come back to life, Jane's rez power is really restrictive and probably can't be used to solve the 'stuck under a house' problem (and we have no evidence against the fact this isn't Aranea's plan anyway), and Aranea has the Ring of Life.

Still, the story has going to the extreme to show how you still have agency and influency despise being dead, that takes away any tension from the plot. and having John showing up to retcon any event on the story is also kind of lame since everything we're seeing would be pontless since never happened.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Tollymain posted:

:haw::hf::haw:

I think I prefer the small, silly things and ongoing jokes in HS more than the overall story (which I don't dislike, mind you). Maybe that's why I don't really ever feel frustrated by it. I guess the only point where I really was "haha what? :stonklol:" was the trickster segment, but that seemed intentionally unsettling.

Another important factor is that I only started reading and catched up around Vriska (fresca)'s death, so I haven't been following since the beginning.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

Cleretic posted:

He can travel through time, it's fine. He might not save her though, who knows.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Arbitrary Number posted:

He can travel through time, it's fine. He might not save her though, who knows.

I feel like saying 'John can travel through time' is disingenuous, and a more accurate phrase is 'John is traveling through time'.

John doesn't really have control over this. He's turned up in places he doesn't want to be, places he can't normally access, and even places that aren't places. While he's theoretically able to save Jade, his ability to hinges much more on random chance than anything else.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Cleretic posted:

John doesn't really have control over this. He's turned up in places he doesn't want to be, places he can't normally access, and even places that aren't places. While he's theoretically able to save Jade, his ability to hinges much more on random chance than anything else.
Well it seems like a future version of him (the one that knew who Roxy was) was able to retcon a retcon, so there's an implication that he eventually gets a grasp on his power.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I feel like the mouth close up motif has been run into the ground pretty hard. Usually when Hussie uses something repetitively for humorous effect it's more...spaced out I guess? The rapidity of it here is just jarring and kind of annoying.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
The next mouth close-up is going to be of a guardian or exile. Completely black or white screen.

Also:

Tollymain posted:

*highfive*

Also John isn't travelling through time, that's just his limited perspective on it (possibly not-so-limited if the things he was yelling at Roxy weren't just for comedic effect).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Not going to complain about the fan costumes though:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

SynthOrange posted:

Not going to complain about the fan costumes though:

That is not a house, it's a couch and she's not even being crushed by it! I demand cosplayers crush themselves under real houses for the best effect! :argh:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Captain Oblivious posted:

I feel like the mouth close up motif has been run into the ground pretty hard. Usually when Hussie uses something repetitively for humorous effect it's more...spaced out I guess? The rapidity of it here is just jarring and kind of annoying.

I was getting kinda tired of it, but scribble Karkat and single-line Dave mouths were at least funny to me.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
If there's anything I've learned from Hussie, it's that a joke worth tell is worth running into the ground until the joke is no longer the joke, the fact that you can't leave it alone is.

I don't mean this as criticism, I do actually enjoy this.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Dude has totally grown. He's gone from completely hiding his feelings to being completely genuine with them.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

Hah! Can't argue with you there. Hussie's gotta close every loop, no matter how inconsequential. Guess that's the programmer in him. As for the idea of nothing happening, I guess that depends on your definition of nothing happening. Externally yes, nothing is happening, but internally, there are motherfucking fireworks going off everywhere in this shindig. I understand that's not everyone's cup of tea, but I find the so called "degrassi poo poo" some people are complaining about to be terribly exciting. Additionally, people might see dave's interaction with the mayor as proof that he is broken, but I see it as him experimenting with that strange and alien emotion known to the strikers as sincerity. I don't have an issue describing homestuck. It's a web comic about kids growing up with the Internet, and how idepending on their interactions it can make them worse people or better people.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Cthulhuchan posted:

If there's anything I've learned from Hussie, it's that a joke worth tell is worth running into the ground until the joke is no longer the joke, the fact that you can't leave it alone is.

I don't mean this as criticism, I do actually enjoy this.

I, too, enjoy Andy Zaltzman and the Bugle.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
I for one miss the data structure jokes.

I am 100% serious.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I for one miss the data structure jokes.

I am 100% serious.

I still believe that during Homestuck's climax, just as everything seems lost, John will screw up and launch something out of his sylladex that turns the entire situation around. I've had this idea since the early days of Homestuck, and I'm not letting it go. Mostly because I want it to happen rather than any real evidence. :smith:

Boneless Jogger fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Blackheart posted:

Another important factor is that I only started reading and catched up around Vriska (fresca)'s death, so I haven't been following since the beginning.
Depends, I've been reading since the start and I'm okay with how things are going.

All this stuff Aranea's doing feels like the Bad Ending in a video game, and that's reasonable because video games are what make Homestuck tick. Would you rather Hussie didn't show off the Bad Ending?

If nothing else, if John retcons all this it'll give him an idea of the great power (and great responsibility) he now holds.