Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
If anyone cares, Skyscraper National Park is being reissued on vinyl: http://hardwoodrecords.bigcartel.com/product/skyscraper-national-park-vinyl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

But all I get is bitter and a nasty little rash

Me in Reverse posted:

What's the loving point of preordering something from the record label when it doesn't even ship until 2 days after release and won't get here for another week??

gently caress you, Anti-.

Supporting the label? They probably can't afford have a dedicated mailorder staff, or may have not even gotten their copies until that date, depending on their distributor.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Just got my copy of the new Medicine album. Also I somehow didn't notice that Medicine had released an album last month.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Chill Callahan posted:

If anyone cares, Skyscraper National Park is being reissued on vinyl: http://hardwoodrecords.bigcartel.com/product/skyscraper-national-park-vinyl

I need that in my life.

Hayden vinyl is a rare loving beast.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Anyone know anything about 'Prazision' by Labradford being reissued? They have it up on amazon.co.jp:

http://amzn.to/1eK5s1s

It says it's being reissued by Kranky too. I've pre-ordered it, but want to know if it is a pretty as the first release:

(not my photo, obviously)

Found nothing from Googling it, nor on the Kranky website / Facebook page. But I might just be a lousy searcher.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
The special vinyl I was waiting for turned up, and while this could be another one of those records that gives me a lot of joy and doesn't mean much to anyone else, I figured I'd post a quick pic ...

I still find it quite spooky that I'm holding something in my hands that's as old as I am, and (in my mind) still sounds remarkably relevant and impressive.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

landofcake posted:

The special vinyl I was waiting for turned up, and while this could be another one of those records that gives me a lot of joy and doesn't mean much to anyone else, I figured I'd post a quick pic ...

I still find it quite spooky that I'm holding something in my hands that's as old as I am, and (in my mind) still sounds remarkably relevant and impressive.

It's a great album. I still wish I liked Swans more than I do though. New Mind is a great opener.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

landofcake posted:

This is one of the fun things about vinyl. Also the majority of my old records are my dad's and were bought about 5 years before I was born, so it's cool to think about what he might've been up to while listening to them. Also he takes crazy care of his poo poo, most of them are in perfect shape and came in discwasher sleeves.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Every time you post a pic Landofcake I become more and more jealous of your collection. That is a loving amazing album.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

landofcake posted:

You've never bought old records before?

SlowlyChoking
Nov 23, 2004

Open fierce skies on me, on a bird and we experience the new death indeed.

Finally got myself a copy. I'm really glad they decided to repress this.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
For anyone looking to not pay $500+ on ebay for No Love Deep Web on vinyl, it's up for pre-order on Amazon.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
What is consensus on clash pressings? Looks like a new box set is dropping next week but its expensive and I'm not sure if I need anything after London calling

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

beergod posted:

What is consensus on clash pressings? Looks like a new box set is dropping next week but its expensive and I'm not sure if I need anything after London calling

AFAIK, they're decently attainable for relatively little at respectable used record stores with some albums being more common than others (Give 'em Enough Rope took me the longest to find). I gathered up VG+ to NM quality original copies of all of their albums minus the Shea stadium live one without really expending any effort.

And yes you do. Every Clash album slays. No idea how the relative quality of N. American vs UK pressings differs (I've gotten disturbingly anal about that ever since I learned firsthand that there was a very noticeable sound difference between the UK and American pressings of [iiThe Dreaming[/i] last week) but I'm gonna guess that mine are all American pressings and they sound pretty great to me.

Also no clue on how the new box of repressings stacks up, but I doubt it's really worth it unless each album comes out to less than $10, since used copies aren't all that rare.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

beergod posted:

All I know for certain is that the original UK CBS pressing of London Calling slays the original US, and it is not close.* I also have both the original US and UK pressings of the debut, but I've never A/B'd them because I'm keeping them both regardless ('cause they have different songs). I'll compare them if you want me to, though. Hell, maybe I'll compare them anyway, later today.

The box set definitely looks cool, and according to this, it's remastered from the original tapes, but of course, that doesn't mean it sounds good.

There's a very active thread about the box set on the Steve Hoffman forums--which is pretty much devoted to comparing different pressings of things--but it's kind of a lot to dig through, and I think a lot of them are listening to the CD version. One guy did say this about London Calling, though:

quote:

Nothing touches the original UK vinyl.

* I am sorry, Electric Bugaloo, but it's true!

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 14, 2013

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Has anyone else noticed that Outer Battery vinyl is very...fragrant? I've had the Dinosaur Jr Bug Live At 9:30 Club and thought it might have just been the screenprinted cover, but I just grabbed the Off! Live at 9:30 Club and it's the same kinda deal. As far as I know it's not a screenprinted cover either.

Both are coloured vinyl, but I've not noticed any of my other vinyl smelling the same. It's a pretty oily, just-printed kinda smell. Not bad, but it's kinda like "whoa"

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CPL593H posted:

You've never bought old records before?

Ah, I didn't really have a coherent thought there ... it was just that that particular album (Children of God) feels like a piece of music that's still as relevant musically as was when it was released, and listening to it digitally it doesn't quite hit home that it's actually 26 years old. Having a physical copy on vinyl made me realise its age, especially when I saw the pictures of Gira and Westberg inside the gatefold:

Also, as an aside ... I've finally found my new record to play at raucous parties!

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
My dad and his siblings are going through my grandmother's house since she's not doing too well, and they found this and gave it to me. It's a recording that my grandfather made and sent to his parents when he was stationed on an aircraft carrier in the Pacific during WWII. None of my record players handle 78s (they're 7") so I can't listen to it yet, but I can't wait to hear them.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The Human Cow posted:

My dad and his siblings are going through my grandmother's house since she's not doing too well, and they found this and gave it to me. It's a recording that my grandfather made and sent to his parents when he was stationed on an aircraft carrier in the Pacific during WWII. None of my record players handle 78s (they're 7") so I can't listen to it yet, but I can't wait to hear them.

That is AWESOME, congratulations! It's probably just the stuff someone would say in a postcard, but to be able to hear that is so cool. Post a recording when you can if you feel generous.

I have a 7" around here somewhere that my dad and his pals recorded sometime in the mid-late 50's. I guess there used to be lots of storefront recording studios where you could just walk in and put whatever you wanted on vinyl. It was amazing to hear my dads voice from that far back, just a few friends messing around, something like an antique voicemail.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I've got a recording like that. Not from the war though, from a Canadian vacation:

That was recorded in 1960; the year my mom was born. It's my grandma and some other relatives talking. Really cool piece of family history!

wa27 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 17, 2013

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

wa27 posted:

I've got a recording like that. Not from the war though, from a Canadian vacation:

That was recorded in 1960; the year my mom was born. It's my grandma and some other relatives talking. Really cool piece of family history!

This is so cool

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Human Cow posted:

That's a really cool thing to have. Just remember that 78s not only require a turntable with that speed, but a special stylus as well.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why the gently caress is MGMT $30 on Vinyl and $10 on CD

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Abu Dave posted:

That Vinyl cred is a costly thing.

Seriously though records should be cheaper then they are right now. Can't wait for the fad to die down a little so the prices get better.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Abu Dave posted:

I'm guessing it's spread across two discs like Congratulations.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

For those of you who are fans of the Melvins I have been reliably informed to BUY BUY BUY:

http://thirdmanstore.com/featured/the-melvins-live-at-third-man-records

Cost + shipping to the UK came to £20 for me.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
^^ Gotta say, the juxtaposition of landofcake's and CPL593H's avatars is pretty entertaining. Also that Melvins news is p. cool but that MGMT news is p. bad.

Either way, I spent all of my vinyl budget for this month on Kate Bush, Arcade Fire preorders and finally getting that bedroom turntable setup I've been jonesin'. I spent all of next month's vinyl budget on Yeezy tickets. :sigh:

Being dope as hell is expensive.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

landofcake posted:

For those of you who are fans of the Melvins I have been reliably informed to BUY BUY BUY:

http://thirdmanstore.com/featured/the-melvins-live-at-third-man-records

Cost + shipping to the UK came to £20 for me.

Thanks I guess. This broke my longstanding no record buying streak. I haven't like much of the Melvins in the last 20 years but Charmicarmicat pulled me back in. Please don't suck.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Oh goddammit. I want that Melvins record, but I don't have the dollars to spend on it. Curses.

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007
I've been really wanting to purchase Frank Ocean's Channel Orange and Nostalgia, Ultra on vinyl. I know there are a couple of bootlegs out there, but I was wondering about the quality of the records. Also, any chance of those ever becoming "legit"? If i remember there was a problem with several of the samples being cleared on Nostalgia, Ultra...

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy
Frank Black's "Oddballs" collection is now available on vinyl.

http://thebureaurecords.com/store/#!/~/product/category=1785443&id=28002491

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I went record shopping yesterday with my leftover US spending money and found a mono copy of Magical Mystery Tour with the book intact, probably VG+/EX- vinyl for $30 :c00lbutt: Loaded up on Tangerine Dream too, was a good day.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

david puddy posted:

I went record shopping yesterday with my leftover US spending money and found a mono copy of Magical Mystery Tour with the book intact, probably VG+/EX- vinyl for $30 :c00lbutt: Loaded up on Tangerine Dream too, was a good day.

I have entirely too many copies of that album. I have two US stereo pressings, a mono US pressing, the Mobile Fidelity reissue from the 80s, and the original UK mono EP. Plus I have the mono CD.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

CPL593H posted:

I have entirely too many copies of that album. I have two US stereo pressings, a mono US pressing, the Mobile Fidelity reissue from the 80s, and the original UK mono EP. Plus I have the mono CD.

nerd

Though I guess I can't talk, I have bought 5 copies of that one King Crimson record.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This reminded me of something that is only tangentially related but I already typed it before remembering what thread this was so what the hell:
Back in the day the local postal service had a product called äänikirje (lit. sound letter) that was just a blank C cassette and a padded envelope. I recorded one and sent it to my sister who was working at the Finnish culture centre, under the foreign ministry but not a diplomat of any kind, in St. Petersburg (meaning this was post-Soviet times) and she only got it two or three months later with the envelope very badly resealed and the tape was just static with the occasional faint sound of my voice.

Anyway, that's an awesome find, especially since it looks like a 'real' record instead of some flimsy cardboard piece-of-poo poo with wax coating.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Jerry Cotton posted:

This reminded me of something that is only tangentially related but I already typed it before remembering what thread this was so what the hell:
Back in the day the local postal service had a product called äänikirje (lit. sound letter) that was just a blank C cassette and a padded envelope. I recorded one and sent it to my sister who was working at the Finnish culture centre, under the foreign ministry but not a diplomat of any kind, in St. Petersburg (meaning this was post-Soviet times) and she only got it two or three months later with the envelope very badly resealed and the tape was just static with the occasional faint sound of my voice.

Anyway, that's an awesome find, especially since it looks like a 'real' record instead of some flimsy cardboard piece-of-poo poo with wax coating.

That is beautiful. I'd love to hear it if it still exists

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

CPL593H posted:

That's a really cool thing to have. Just remember that 78s not only require a turntable with that speed, but a special stylus as well.

Well, you wont get the best sound playing a 78 with a 33/45 stylus, but for something like this that's just voice, it would be enough. If you can play it at 45 and record the file on a computer, audacity has a 45 to 78 conversion script that will let it play at the right speed. Might be a little noisy with the wrong needle but passable.

My friend was given a bunch of old records and in there was an aluminum home recorded 78 with no label. Turns out it was some kind of speech practice with a man reading poetry and talking to the teacher here in there from the 20s or 30s.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 19, 2013

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

That is beautiful. I'd love to hear it if it still exists

If it does, I won't see it anytime soon since most of my sister's stuff is in storage (they moved into a much smaller house).

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Barnes & Noble finally mailed the one record I (the King Crimson album) ordered from them during that sale like 2 months ago, so check your email if you were still waiting on something from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Mighty Horse posted:

Well, you wont get the best sound playing a 78 with a 33/45 stylus, but for something like this that's just voice, it would be enough. If you can play it at 45 and record the file on a computer, audacity has a 45 to 78 conversion script that will let it play at the right speed. Might be a little noisy with the wrong needle but passable.

My friend was given a bunch of old records and in there was an aluminum home recorded 78 with no label. Turns out it was some kind of speech practice with a man reading poetry and talking to the teacher here in there from the 20s or 30s.

I actually tried this the other night, but it was too noisy to hear much. I could make out the first couple sentences...he was talking about how excited he was to speak to them, and how he was wondering if it sounded like he was on the radio. I've got some record cleaning supplies, so I might try them out on the side that doesn't look like it has anything on it to see if I can clean things up some.