Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

P.d0t posted:

To answer your questions with questions, how would the players figure those out? Would it be guess-and-test, or would you allow monster knowledge checks that tell you about the weaknesses? Or both?

The key should be to make sure that the status effects degrade gracefully, and intuitively, for solo monsters. So I don't think "Immobolized is for Melee, Stun is for Ranged" would work well.

I'd instead do something like: normally, the solo has 3 attacks per turn. If dazed, lose one attack. If stunned, lose two, but doesn't stack with dazed. Dominated is stunned, but one of the lost attacks can be forced against one of its allies, or maybe itself. The solo can opt to ignore Immobilized and Slowed by giving up another attack.

The point is, whatever you throw at it, it does something useful, and within the general realm of what you'd get against a standard monster.

Ideally, the translation to solo monsters would be a general rule, not something that every solo monster handles individually and differently.

quote:

Might that cause a death spiral?

So does killing/dazing/stunning individual members of a multi-monster encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Here's an idea that's percolating in my head as I type this..

Why not have solos be like a hydra, or something similar. Maybe have all damage target a single pool of HP, but status effects target a particular appendage. Say, a dragon with a claw/claw/mouth/tail; if you daze the tail, it can't tailswipe, or something.

This sorta seems to fit with Mearls' earlier posts about "solos are all REALLY REALLY BIG creatures"; this sort of thing wouldn't quite work the same with the bossfight against COMMANDER EVIL, mere mortal man of Owning.

I might just be distilling exactly what other posters had in mind with this, but I think this might make it easier to balance solos w/r/t group-monster encounters. Hopefully.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

P.d0t posted:

Here's an idea that's percolating in my head as I type this..

Why not have solos be like a hydra, or something similar. Maybe have all damage target a single pool of HP, but status effects target a particular appendage. Say, a dragon with a claw/claw/mouth/tail; if you daze the tail, it can't tailswipe, or something.

This sorta seems to fit with Mearls' earlier posts about "solos are all REALLY REALLY BIG creatures"; this sort of thing wouldn't quite work the same with the bossfight against COMMANDER EVIL, mere mortal man of Owning.

I might just be distilling exactly what other posters had in mind with this, but I think this might make it easier to balance solos w/r/t group-monster encounters. Hopefully.

Well it seems to me that a solo that's COMMANDER EVIL shouldn't just be like a WoW raidboss where it's just some guy that's crazy tough (tougher than the whole party) for no good reason. A single entity that takes a whole party to bring down should be something really big and huge and tough, and COMMANDER EVIL should always have minions/summons/reserves just because that's how things work. Admittedly appealing to verisimilitude isn't a good way to design things, but something that appeals to a player's intuition is probably not too bad as a start.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Daetrin posted:

COMMANDER EVIL should always have minions/summons/reserves

Yeahhh but that's where the line blurs from "a fight against ONE really tough dude/thing" (solo) to just "a really tough fight with one dude/thing that is obviously the leader of the other mooks" (elite?)

edit: VVVV you're doing it right

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 11, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

When I had the PCs fight Mechathulhu, a monster the size of a building in 4e, I did it by taking an Elite, giving it the HP pool of a Solo, but then also having a number of additional monsters in the fight (Right Arm, Left Arm, Tentacles, etc) with unique stats and their own action pools, with triggers that, on their death, subtracted an amount of hit points from the Solo body equal to their total hit point pool.

So you've got something like this:

plus two arms (lvl 6 soldiers) and 4 tentacles (lvl 5 strikers), each of which, upon defeat, subtracted 90 and 80 hp from Mechathulhu's HP pool. It adds up to a single encounters worth of monsters, but it feels like you're fighting one big monster.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Daetrin posted:

Well it seems to me that a solo that's COMMANDER EVIL shouldn't just be like a WoW raidboss where it's just some guy that's crazy tough (tougher than the whole party) for no good reason. A single entity that takes a whole party to bring down should be something really big and huge and tough, and COMMANDER EVIL should always have minions/summons/reserves just because that's how things work.

What if he's not COMMANDER EVIL, but COMMANDER EVIL'S TRUSTED LIEUTENANT who is no leader of men, but as fierce as a tiger? Like, say, Lu Bu, the Flying General. Just a man, yes, but a man that required an entire party of adventurers to tie him up and a coalition of nations to kill him?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I don't know how good it would be but if i was making LU BU supreme badass who can fight you 5 v1 and still have a shot I would give him 5 turns and maybe the hp for 4 or 5 people give him a nice spread of initiatives so that he doesn't get to attack 5 times in a row but make him really mobile so he can be all over the battlefield.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I made some fantastic chocolate chip cookies the other day. They're a minor variant on the standard recipe from bags of chocolate chips, but with a couple key differences that make them a lot more delicate and hard to make properly. Here's the recipe. If you're a foreign, convert it yourself. These colors don't run.

2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup of butter
1 cup of granulated sugar
1 cup of brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips (go light on the chips or the cookies will completely fall apart)

Preheat the oven to 350. Mix the flour, salt, and baking soda while you melt the butter. It is very important that the butter be liquid. Mix the sugars, eggs, and vanilla into the melted butter. Mix that into the flour and stir until it's dough. Fold in the chocolate chips. The dough is going to be a lot softer than a normal cookie dough because of the melted butter. With a melon baller or other small scoop, drop six evenly-spaced scoops onto a standard baking sheet. They are going to melt out pretty far, so don't put more than six on a sheet. Put the sheet in the oven while you scoop dough onto another sheet. Don't bake more than one at once. At some point between 8 and 10 minutes they should be flat, crinkled, and just starting to brown. Take them out and let them finish cooking as they sit. They should be slightly underdone when you remove them. This is key, do not overcook them. It can take a couple pans to figure out. Let them cool while you bake the second pan, then carefully slide them with a spatula on to plates. They are going to be close to falling apart while they're still warm, so be very careful. Let the second pan cool while you add more dough, and repeat the process until you're out of dough. Let the cookies finish cooling before you try to eat them, or they'll just fall apart. If you did it right, you should have incredibly soft discs of butter and sugar that are basically the best cookies you've ever had.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
First of all, Mechathulhu is awesome though I may be biased because I actually got to fight him.

Second, I've read some cookie recipes that claim the secret to producing soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies is to both A). specifically use dark brown sugar (a lot of recipes don't specify, I know that dark brown sugar is "richer" and has more of a molasses-y flavor to it but I'm not sure how it affects a baked goods texture/consistency) and B). add a couple teaspoons of cornstarch to the dry ingredients before blending them into the wet, which is something I've never considered before. Anyone here ever tried something like that or is it experiment time?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Elfgames posted:

I don't know how good it would be but if i was making LU BU supreme badass who can fight you 5 v1 and still have a shot I would give him 5 turns and maybe the hp for 4 or 5 people give him a nice spread of initiatives so that he doesn't get to attack 5 times in a row but make him really mobile so he can be all over the battlefield.

This is kinda how post MM3 solos work already. They're one big bag of HP with actions on multiple initiative counts who lose those actions to shrug off status effects.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
Solos basically need to be as much like four or five enemies as you can get them to be.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013
Thinking about it, I was getting tied up in genre expectations. There don't seem to be many genres outside of RPGs where you have solo person vs. group and the group can win, but with effort. Either that person is so skilled they can roflstomp groups (even groups of 'heroes,' like Lu Bu) or they're just a mook so they go down instantly. Usually it's group v. group, solo v. solo (duels!), or group v. monster. So playing into that set of genre expectations (which of course isn't the only way to play) a regular, non-monstrous guy isn't appropriate for a solo encounter (though he would be for elite).

Maybe it's just that WoW has left me with a bad taste for inexplicably over-sized humanoids that can be beat on by five (or ten, or twenty-five...) people for minutes on end?

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
5 + people having to fight one person who isn't a monster, but is just super badass/skilled/whatever, is like a story as old as there are stories. Having a regular sized humanoid be a solo is fine, there's no need for it to be a giant monster or dragon or god or anything (though it can be). It's not any more or less believable or realistic or verisimiwhatever then say, dragons existing.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

okay, so i made some Good Fuckin Pork Chops, and heres how you can also eat like a loving champion and not be a fat piece of poo poo.

step 1: get good pork chops, the kind that are part dark meat part light meat, not the poo poo they sell at like walmart
step 2: take them out, season with salt, pepper, thyme
step 3 leave them sitting for a half hour on the counter
step 4: hot pan olive oil
step 5: 4 minutes each side ,medium heat (or higher if your stove sucks)
step 6: cover, rest your meat (like after a big j/o sesh) for ten minutes
step 7: chop some roma tomatoes in half so the stem end will rest flat on a plate remove the entire inside part from the stem end, all of it so its a nice bowl
step 8: cover those fuckers in oregano, thyme, basil, parsley
step 9: hot pan olive oil
step 10 cook em a little on their bottoms, turn them over onto their edges and turn up the heat a bit
step 11 take those fuckers off it takes like two three minutes to cook them sometimes less
stepp 12 when the meats done resting, uncover, remove pork chops, heat again
step 13 add wine, a little more thyme, reduce tell its thickened a bit
step 14: put sauce in roma tomato stem end bowl, parm in the other tomato half. add a sprig of fresh thyme, sprinkle a little sauce around so this poo poo looks professionally presented

step 15 eat that poo poo

im the gordon ramsay of trad games

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Nihnoz posted:

Solos basically need to be as much like four or five enemies as you can get them to be.

This is pretty much the crux of it, but the other half of it is running the fight in such a way that none of the "wires" are showing.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

goldjas posted:

5 + people having to fight one person who isn't a monster, but is just super badass/skilled/whatever, is like a story as old as there are stories. Having a regular sized humanoid be a solo is fine, there's no need for it to be a giant monster or dragon or god or anything (though it can be). It's not any more or less believable or realistic or verisimiwhatever then say, dragons existing.
This is part of why it helps to keep HP more abstract. If you want the big bad to be able to go rounds with an entire party, they need a bunch of HP because players still want to score hits and paper ninjas are pretty bad. I feel that if you use HP as fighting spirit, you can have a badass mortal humanoid and not beg disbelief by having him full of arrows and hatchet wounds. I play D&D very strangely where damage is the combat narrative control slider and I roll enemy hit dice as they are depleted.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Daetrin posted:

Maybe it's just that WoW has left me with a bad taste for inexplicably over-sized humanoids that can be beat on by five (or ten, or twenty-five...) people for minutes on end?

That's because comparing WoW to a tradgame really breaks down in this aspect. If you want a video game's analogue to the solo boss battle look to stuff like Suikoden II's fight against Luca Blight.

Luca isn't a 12 foot tall man, he doesn't get a ridiculous transformation into a dragon or vampire swarm or anything. But he is powered by one of the plot important magic runes and is considered the most deadly fighter in the world. This is enough for your entire rebel army to be terrified at the prospect of fighting him. Your normal soldiers have absolutely no chance against him. The leaders of the rebellion jump into suicidal skirmishes with him to give your party half a chance. And he gets somewhere between 9-12 attacks per round depending on how you count multiple slashes or him stabbing half your party in the face. He's human sized and mostly just an amazing swordsman jacked up on magic runes. But when you get within swording distance he's a force of nature.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Razorwired posted:

That's because comparing WoW to a tradgame really breaks down in this aspect. If you want a video game's analogue to the solo boss battle look to stuff like Suikoden II's fight against Luca Blight.

Low level WoW stuff tends to work pretty well, lots of cultists and caves full of beasties and gangs of bandits instead of just solo guys, and really it even works for a lot of the extraplanar demons that have been a running theme throughout the series' lifespan. It just starts getting a little weird once you start dealing with all these guys that are supposed to take on entire raiding parties for no apparent reason than "they're someone or other's general I guess"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Razorwired posted:

Luca isn't a 12 foot tall man, he doesn't get a ridiculous transformation into a dragon or vampire swarm or anything. But he is powered by one of the plot important magic runes and is considered the most deadly fighter in the world. This is enough for your entire rebel army to be terrified at the prospect of fighting him. Your normal soldiers have absolutely no chance against him. The leaders of the rebellion jump into suicidal skirmishes with him to give your party half a chance. And he gets somewhere between 9-12 attacks per round depending on how you count multiple slashes or him stabbing half your party in the face. He's human sized and mostly just an amazing swordsman jacked up on magic runes. But when you get within swording distance he's a force of nature.

The best thing about Luca Blight is that he isn't even that jacked up on magical runes - from what I recall, the Beat Rune doesn't actually give him any abnormal power or strength. He's a monstrous beast because that's just who the gently caress he is.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Beast Rune is the reason he gets three turns

The Beast Rune isn't the reason he can kill a character with each attack each turn.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Daetrin posted:

Maybe it's just that WoW has left me with a bad taste for inexplicably over-sized humanoids
WoW raid bosses are huge so that you can see them. Think of a normal WoW end-boss fight, the amount of spell effects and so on being thrown around. Now imagine that fight except the end-boss is shorter than the tank. How would you even know where it was? That doesn't apply to Tabletop games.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Did anyone notice, by the way, just how ASTONISHLINGLY badly Wizards have hosed up their forums now? THe quantity of quality grog to be mined from the Next forums has dropped considerably D:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

thespaceinvader posted:

Did anyone notice, by the way, just how ASTONISHLINGLY badly Wizards have hosed up their forums now? THe quantity of quality grog to be mined from the Next forums has dropped considerably D:

Thank God the RPGsite and ENworld wells will never dry up.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

thespaceinvader posted:

Oh? What happened?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

They got new software. It's incredibly lovely, to the point (for instance) of ordering the forum threads by original post date, rather than last post date. That alone has basically killed useful discussion. Not to mention the fact that for most of the first week, none of the old thread links would work. And the groups all got lost. As did the friends. And the wiki. And most of the blogs. Also, there are no breadcrumb trails on any page of a thread bar the first. And the new posts link for any given thread is broken (looks intended to be a relative link, but lacks the right syntax, so tries to be an absolute link to a relative location, and thereby, breaks).

It seems to have been built in drupal, which is apparently decent software but needs some user-side hacking to actually be *good*, and Wizards are lovely at digital anything.

And all of that is ignoring the horrifically bad layout, with about 75% of any given page being whitespace. It's pretty much killed any meaningful discussion in the areas I visit routinely.

E: actually, looking at it this evening for the first time, a lot of this poo poo seems to be fixed. Still pretty inexcusable that it happened in the first place though.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

They got new software. It's incredibly lovely, to the point (for instance) of ordering the forum threads by original post date, rather than last post date. That alone has basically killed useful discussion. Not to mention the fact that for most of the first week, none of the old thread links would work. And the groups all got lost. As did the friends. And the wiki. And most of the blogs. Also, there are no breadcrumb trails on any page of a thread bar the first. And the new posts link for any given thread is broken (looks intended to be a relative link, but lacks the right syntax, so tries to be an absolute link to a relative location, and thereby, breaks).

It seems to have been built in drupal, which is apparently decent software but needs some user-side hacking to actually be *good*, and Wizards are lovely at digital anything.

And all of that is ignoring the horrifically bad layout, with about 75% of any given page being whitespace. It's pretty much killed any meaningful discussion in the areas I visit routinely.

E: actually, looking at it this evening for the first time, a lot of this poo poo seems to be fixed. Still pretty inexcusable that it happened in the first place though.

Oh my goodness all the post titles are in all caps. That's quite painful to read.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

thespaceinvader posted:

They appear to have broken everything except basic posting including the majority of user experience guidelines. Today was the first time I have ever seen any forum code overflow into someone's post.

Edit:
This is the post I was talking about,
http://community.wizards.com/comment/49237911#comment-49237911

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 14, 2013

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013
That's ugly.

I remember seeing similar things happen with their previous forum's text editor widget, if you deleted across some kinds of formatting or otherwise confused it. Wonder if they're still using that same widget.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
It's actually amazing. Every time WotC changes or updates their forums, they get worse. And there's absolutely no bottom to this barrel.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Razorwired posted:

Luca isn't a 12 foot tall man, he doesn't get a ridiculous transformation into a dragon or vampire swarm or anything.

I read this as 'vampire swan' at first, which I actually think would be pretty terrifying.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Splicer posted:

WoW raid bosses are huge so that you can see them. Think of a normal WoW end-boss fight, the amount of spell effects and so on being thrown around. Now imagine that fight except the end-boss is shorter than the tank. How would you even know where it was? That doesn't apply to Tabletop games.

Likewise with the big city NPCs for city raids and such.

Its still a little bit disconcerting when Emperor Karl Franz is 12ft tall.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Likewise with the big city NPCs for city raids and such.

Its still a little bit disconcerting when Emperor Karl Franz is 12ft tall.

It was a long time ago but a Blizzard employee posted about this once. The gist of it was that important characters aren't really these hulking giants in game but rather the larger model represents how much more notable they are to your character.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's actually amazing. Every time WotC changes or updates their forums, they get worse. And there's absolutely no bottom to this barrel.

And this is the company that tried to build an edition around having a virtual tabletop. THIS company, that can't even design their own website properly.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Misandu posted:

It was a long time ago but a Blizzard employee posted about this once. The gist of it was that important characters aren't really these hulking giants in game but rather the larger model represents how much more notable they are to your character.

Not to mention that when two hundred characters - many of whom are larger than human - surround him and beat him up with swords, he kinda gets lost in the manpile.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Maxwell Lord posted:

And this is the company that tried to build an edition around having a virtual tabletop. THIS company, that can't even design their own website properly.

Come on, you can't render such negative judgment based on such early impressions. This is clearly nothing more than an open playtest of the forum... and the full release will fit your individual preferences and desires perfectly!

It will also have modules

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

The virtual tabletop designer did a murder-suicide--which is essentially the only reason we don't have one--and the game's builder tools, while flawed, are still powerful and more than any other game can boast. I wouldn't much mind a company attempting to make a virtual tabletop that wasn't heinously overcomplicated or just plain lovely, though I have yet to fully investigate roll20. That's a thing that deserves a project with some money behind it, let alone a 3D ui.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mm, the VTT designer was a very unfortunate thing - but the converse is that, with the best will in the world, a company with a revenue stream as big as D&D's (and it should be pretty big) should be able to afford to pay to have something programmed by a company that can eat the loss of a single, even a critical, employee. If one of the game design team left right now, the game shouldn't collapse; the same should be true of the digital arm.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I wouldn't much mind a company attempting to make a virtual tabletop that wasn't heinously overcomplicated or just plain lovely, though I have yet to fully investigate roll20.

roll20 isn't without its flaws, but it does all of this and is astoundingly easy to use.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20130916

The high- and lowlights...

* skills are back as part of the core game.
* sorta 4e-style; no skill points, just trained vs untrained, with Expert thrown in. Bonuses smaller, due to bounded accuracy. Scales with level.
* skill list is slightly longer than 4e, but not the clusterfuck of 3e
* intended to be flexible, so different stats can influence one skill.
* Alluding to a 13A style of backgrounds as an alternative system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Yeah the bit about using different ability mods for the same skill isn't really well explained, but we've done similar things with 4e in my groups, i.e. a Charisma (Stealth) check would be used for disguise, an Intelligence (Streetwise) check for appraise.

• Locked thread