Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Zarbo posted:

Hey accidents do happen, especially with fish keeping, don't beat yourself up over it. It is not your intentions where to kill any fish.

Yeah, I cried the night my filter cover fell off and sucked up a bunch of my shrimp. :( I felt so horrible.

Though, the cover still works once I got it back on (and it keeps fish and baby fish from getting sucked in)... man, that was a horrible feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You're only human, demonR6. Everyone's had their share of mistakes in this hobby.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks guys & gals. I know stuff like this happens but I feel responsible because I am supposed to be taking care of them and they rely on us for everything so any minor oversight or screw up on our part ends up, well...

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
I am going to come off as an inhuman monster for this, but it is fine. They are just fish. I don't cry when my cat plunges herself into the tank and eats one (even after ridiculous precautions I forgot to lock a lid one time.). It happens and it sucks but it is not the end of the world and you shouldn't give up a hobby you love.

Fusillade
Mar 31, 2012

...and her

BIG FAT BASS
Eh, quality of life is vastly better than most of his brethren.

Baby jag update: A month old and about 3/4 inches long, with their spots coming in!!!

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I was looking at my beta tank today and I noticed hundreds of white dots swimming around the bottom and middle of the tank. Does anyone know what these are and if I should be worried?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

deadlypie posted:

I was looking at my beta tank today and I noticed hundreds of white dots swimming around the bottom and middle of the tank. Does anyone know what these are and if I should be worried?

Pics or I didn't happen.

Fusillade
Mar 31, 2012

...and her

BIG FAT BASS

demonR6 posted:

Pics or I didn't happen.

We'd be better able to diagnose, at least.

And Jaeger has turned super protective of his spawn. Bit and drew blood on my husband's hand! :black101:

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

This was the best picture I could get they are the little dots in the center of the pic you can see some in the background too.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
What else is in there??

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Picture doesn't really help. Check these out.

http://www.planetinverts.com/what_is_that_bug_in_my_aquarium.html

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum/showthread.php/34333-Bugs-you-might-encounter-in-your-aquarium

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Just the beta fish used to have a snail in their but he died like a week ago. The weird thing is I did a full water change after so I have no idea where they came from.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Water fleas or the like I'd guess. Is your betta gorging himself on them or leaving them alone?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
He's mostly ignoring them but I've seen him eat some.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

deadlypie posted:

He's mostly ignoring them but I've seen him eat some.

The story has a happy ending.

Sounds like they are Daphnia or Copepods. Nothing to worry about. Keep an eye on the fish just to make sure nothing is attaching themselves.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Them turning up after a water change is pretty weird given that you dont look like you have new plants or creatures which are the major source of accidental hitchhikers, but them being free swimming dots does help narrow it down to fleas, copepods, seed shrimp, etc which are pretty harmless and just provide extra snacks for your betta.

How old is this tank? Given that they're unlikely to have spontaneously generated, they probably existed in your tank in very low numbers and conditions have changed recently (your snail dying and leaving uneaten food sources, for example?) that permitted them to go into a population boom. I wouldnt worry about them unless they're really going nuts and filling the tank with themselves, then you might take a look at invertebrate control medication. Just be aware that inverts are very sensitive, so you'll want to avoid this if you intend to put snails or shrimp in the tank again in the future.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

deadlypie posted:

Just the beta fish used to have a snail in their but he died like a week ago. The weird thing is I did a full water change after so I have no idea where they came from.

What kind of snail because that very well could be baby snails.. wait, nvm they are free swimming. Water cooties.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

SynthOrange posted:

Them turning up after a water change is pretty weird given that you dont look like you have new plants or creatures which are the major source of accidental hitchhikers, but them being free swimming dots does help narrow it down to fleas, copepods, seed shrimp, etc which are pretty harmless and just provide extra snacks for your betta.

How old is this tank? Given that they're unlikely to have spontaneously generated, they probably existed in your tank in very low numbers and conditions have changed recently (your snail dying and leaving uneaten food sources, for example?) that permitted them to go into a population boom. I wouldnt worry about them unless they're really going nuts and filling the tank with themselves, then you might take a look at invertebrate control medication. Just be aware that inverts are very sensitive, so you'll want to avoid this if you intend to put snails or shrimp in the tank again in the future.

So if I cut down on how much I feed the fish they should mostly die off? My beta is still regrowing fin from when he was sick way back will the meds stress him out if I use them?

It was a mystery snail, dude was as big as a golf ball.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's really hard to say. I was thinking more that with the snail gone, they've got more algae to eat and there's your population boom, but that's just a hunch. Otherwise try feeding only what your fish will eat and keep an eye on their population. And yeah, while your betta's healing up, it's best to leave other medication out of it. They're harmless otherwise and are a source of free snacks for your betta.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Shhhhhhh...... Angels doing the nasty just now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGBZM3tu7pI

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aw yeah more babies for eatin. :getin:

And I think my moss still needs a trim or to be tied down again. Its getting a little unruly. Pretty pleased with its growth though!

mindofme
May 19, 2003

Learn trispace and never have to think about math again!

SynthOrange posted:

Aw yeah more babies for eatin. :getin:

And I think my moss still needs a trim or to be tied down again. Its getting a little unruly. Pretty pleased with its growth though!

Look at those fat happy corys :3:

Zarthalan
Mar 28, 2013
got a good 9 gallon tank to setup, any fish reccomendations? otherwise I plan to have it as a planted tank with cherry shrimp

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I keep Otos and cories with my cherries.

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

Zarthalan posted:

got a good 9 gallon tank to setup, any fish reccomendations? otherwise I plan to have it as a planted tank with cherry shrimp

celestial pearl danios, dwarf cories, otos.

Or just the cories. Dwarf cories are awesome, like all cories, only smaller and awesomer.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
So after reducing the frogbit in my tanks to two plants each, it has started to rapidly fill the tank again. Outside in my ponds, it does not seem to do this well at all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahah that's amazing. Guess they really like the led lights. Having ridiculous growth is good though. It means less free floating nutrients, and removing extra floaters is a much easier task than with other plants.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SynthOrange posted:

Hahah that's amazing. Guess they really like the led lights. Having ridiculous growth is good though. It means less free floating nutrients, and removing extra floaters is a much easier task than with other plants.

I manage to just introduce large pedaled floaters but drat those big ones you have look giant.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

What the hell is the thing with the hooked claw?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
This week I managed to finish stocking my 75 gallon. Two three-spot gourami, two farowella, six Bolivian rams, six very small yoyo loaches, and 12 black ruby barbs, all living in blissful harmony at the moment. No losses during the whole process, which I'm kinda proud of. Yoyos were not really what I wanted loach-wise, but so far they've been really fun to watch and they seem to get on well enough so far with the rest of the tank. Been breaking up Sharknado's (the male three-spot gourami, my lavender) bubble nests to keep him from going destroyer of worlds on the tank, and so far it has worked out. I have totally been loving the barb school, they've long been a fish I wanted to keep and in the last week my local store was finally able to get some in for me. I do kinda think I should swap the gourami from my 55 (a pair of pearls) with the ones in my 75, but for now we're good, at least in that tank.

My 55 is very much too heavy on kribensis. They're breeding like roaches and that isn't what I want at all. I need to remove them and replace with a few blue rams I guess? I don't know. Either way I'll have the fun of removing like...15 blasted kribs from a planted tank at some point soon. I realize this is going to end up with a complete uprooting and rock removal, but there's no other way at this point. I should never have bought them, argh! I'm dumb as hell, but that's what happens when you set up your first tank in a decade or so. "One tank to house them all" is such a horrible mindset.

My other problem is that I want to start another tank immediately. My bedroom has an east-facing window with a fairly unobstructed patch for the sun to get through. So...I kinda want to set up a 20 long in the window and go Walstadt. I've got enough plants that really all I'd have to do is make a tall stand and buy a tank, but I've got a whole lot of tanks already. Thinking just shrimp and snails to start, finishing with a small group of brown spiketailed paradise fish because I have some unhealthy obsession with them. If I do this, I'll literally have more tanks than I have rooms in my house, and that's a dangerous threshold to cross I think.

So yeah, I have the worst of all possible problems ever.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
My parrot fish decided to give me a little heads up that she plans on laying more eggs soon, by biting me over and over while I gravel vac'ed today. The other fish are fortunately keeping their distance. What a bitch.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

demonR6 posted:

Looks like a snail extending its foot region.

Shakenbaker posted:

This week I managed to finish stocking my 75 gallon. Two three-spot gourami, two farowella, six Bolivian rams, six very small yoyo loaches, and 12 black ruby barbs, all living in blissful harmony at the moment. No losses during the whole process, which I'm kinda proud of. Yoyos were not really what I wanted loach-wise, but so far they've been really fun to watch and they seem to get on well enough so far with the rest of the tank. Been breaking up Sharknado's (the male three-spot gourami, my lavender) bubble nests to keep him from going destroyer of worlds on the tank, and so far it has worked out. I have totally been loving the barb school, they've long been a fish I wanted to keep and in the last week my local store was finally able to get some in for me. I do kinda think I should swap the gourami from my 55 (a pair of pearls) with the ones in my 75, but for now we're good, at least in that tank.

My 55 is very much too heavy on kribensis. They're breeding like roaches and that isn't what I want at all. I need to remove them and replace with a few blue rams I guess? I don't know. Either way I'll have the fun of removing like...15 blasted kribs from a planted tank at some point soon. I realize this is going to end up with a complete uprooting and rock removal, but there's no other way at this point. I should never have bought them, argh! I'm dumb as hell, but that's what happens when you set up your first tank in a decade or so. "One tank to house them all" is such a horrible mindset.

My other problem is that I want to start another tank immediately. My bedroom has an east-facing window with a fairly unobstructed patch for the sun to get through. So...I kinda want to set up a 20 long in the window and go Walstadt. I've got enough plants that really all I'd have to do is make a tall stand and buy a tank, but I've got a whole lot of tanks already. Thinking just shrimp and snails to start, finishing with a small group of brown spiketailed paradise fish because I have some unhealthy obsession with them. If I do this, I'll literally have more tanks than I have rooms in my house, and that's a dangerous threshold to cross I think.

So yeah, I have the worst of all possible problems ever.

PICTURES PLEASE

candywife
Mar 3, 2011
I have a ton of plants in with my Goldfish, Fimmion, and he keeps uprooting them.
The plants are growing like crazy, and looking really healthy and I'm surprised getting uprooted and replanted almost daily hasn't had any bad effect on them.
I just have the plants submerged in several inches of small gravel, with a layer of larger stones over. Is there a better way to keep all the plants..planted?

Bonus (older) picture of my plants, with Fimmion photobombing my Buddha statue.
I got the plants from Petco (I know, I know), but they're thriving after being subjected to Fimmion for 3 months and have tons of new growth. I can't remember what they're called though...That fern in the back is pretty much dead now, and is getting uprooted today.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

durrneez posted:

PICTURES PLEASE

Here's a few from the 75 at least:

The the tank from a distance. Really wish I knew why every time I take a picture of a tank it looks bent...

I like this one, it shows off the color on the rams, and the streamers on the guy in back. I think Bolivian rams are totally underrated. I know they look really pale and bland in the store, but get them home and happy and they're gorgeous. Also pictured: a very well-fed yoyo loach.

Little bit of all the fish in the tank in this one. The barb school has really livened up the tank, even more than I thought they would. Couldn't get a good shot of the really well colored barbs, but some of them look fantastic.

So yeah, that's my 75. For the record, this is the tank that was really snail-y last time I posted it. The loaches have done their job and I'm really happy with this tank now.

I'll get shots of the 55 tomorrow. I broke down the HOB filter earlier and the water's full of all sorts of floating mess, so it isn't exactly photogenic right now.

candywife posted:

I have a ton of plants in with my Goldfish, Fimmion, and he keeps uprooting them.
The plants are growing like crazy, and looking really healthy and I'm surprised getting uprooted and replanted almost daily hasn't had any bad effect on them.
I just have the plants submerged in several inches of small gravel, with a layer of larger stones over. Is there a better way to keep all the plants..planted?

Bonus (older) picture of my plants, with Fimmion photobombing my Buddha statue.
I got the plants from Petco (I know, I know), but they're thriving after being subjected to Fimmion for 3 months and have tons of new growth. I can't remember what they're called though...That fern in the back is pretty much dead now, and is getting uprooted today.

Keeping plants rooted can be a challenge. If you're just using gravel they get uprooted easier in my experience, but even in sand and dirt they'll still get pulled up without much difficulty. Basically if a decent sized fish wants then uprooted, they get uprooted.

Nice thing about aquarium plants though is that they're all basically just weeds anyway. You can leave them floating for a few days even, shouldn't hurt them at all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You could try tying them to weights, so they dont float up even if they get dug up.

Arbor
Jun 9, 2010
Ah yes, fresh fish thread. Don't jinx me with your snail infestations - I know it's only a matter of time (and I very narrowly escaped one this week, rude little stowaways.) but I'm holding out against it as long as I can.

I have two (petstore) betta fish - in two separate planted ten gallon tanks. They are ridiculous and angry about me trying to take pictures of them, so I apologize for the tankless shots here. Once they both acclimated to the tanks they became a lot more difficult to take pictures of.

This is His Majesty. He is an extremely angry fish. He began leaping out of the water to attack the tongs I use to feed him within the first day. When I planted some creeping jenny in his tank, he took extreme offense, flared at the plant, and then attacked it and ripped off a few leaves. Sometimes they whisper plant-insults at him, still, and he takes it upon himself to teach them a lesson. I haven't even considered putting anything else alive in his tank because he's so :black101:. He also has used my arm as something to nap on when I'm messing with his plants. He has a lump on his spine that makes him swim a lil funny and also makes me worry about his life span.

And Oberon, who I have only had a few weeks, so I haven't quite decided if he'll ever have a snail or shrimp buddies. He's a lot more chill than HM, but he has a hollow leg. or five. And I'm not entirely sure he's a betta fish, considering some of the weird ways I've seen him contort his mouth. He aqua/teal if you look at him from an angle, and purple if you look at him side on. His fins are extremely awkward lengths and I bought him because I thought he was unbelievably ugly, but he's grown on me. His fins have also started to grow since the picture above, though one of them got torn at some point in his life. It's healed, but he has a weird curlicue of fin sticking out of the middle of his anal fin. It's awkward. He's awkward.

I have done my duty introducing my fish, and now I must ask for help.

I am assuming that my Nosy Dog stepped on the hood of my tank when I was out watering the garden with dirty fishwater. I came back in to half of the light not working, and a wee little bit of metal clattered around and fell out when I went to investigate. Thank you, dog.

They're just super basic ten gallon tanks, and with the little metal bit that fell out, it doesn't quite seem as simple as replacing a bulb. I might as well take the opportunity that the dog has so thoughtfully provided to stop being lazy about it. I've wanted to upgrade the lighting for a while anyway, to increase the variety plants I can keep in there. I come asking for any links or knowledge about handy homemade hoods and convenient lighting upgrades.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cute fish there, both look pretty much like bettas to me. I'm also boggling at the mental image of a dog on a 10g tank.

As for lighting setups, there's a ton of variety available, from tube fluorescents, to led strips to halogen thingys. I can only comment on my own setups though:

I currently light my tanks with the window, which provides indirect daylight, and a 16 watt Daylight 4400K compact bulb in an Ikea light stand. I dont use the LED light anymore. It's on for 6 hours a day and I dont have too bad of an algae problem except on parts of the tank really close to the light. The LEDs came with the tank, but didnt do much for the plants other than keep them barely alive. Since adding the cfl, I've had tons of plant growth. Lots of algae too, but tons of plant growth.

Guess it all depends on your lights though. If you look at Kharnifex's post above, you can see his plants absolutely love his LEDs.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 17, 2013

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

demonR6 posted:

Hello, as mentioned previously, it's a snail.

I think my LED's do well due to the short depth of the nano tanks I use.

While watching my Betta, I noticed he has a very interesting trick to devouring snails. He waits for them to extend their foot, and crawl along, and quickly bites them and flicks the shell against the glass, popping the meaty part out.

He is slowly building a throne of 'skulls'.

Arbor
Jun 9, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Cute fish there, both look pretty much like bettas to me. I'm also boggling at the mental image of a dog on a 10g tank.

That was a joke (mostly). Its been quite a few years since I last had fish before setting these two up, so it's weird to see just how far out Oberon's mouth distends. You know that thing eels do, where they open their mouth and another little mini-mouth is inside? I more than half expect to see Oberon do that when he goes after food.

Also the dog was definitely not ON the tank. ...As far as I know. I wouldn't put it past him - this is a Weimaraner mix who has climbed bookshelves before. I took the lid off of the tank and set it on a lower shelf, and I'm assuming he just couldn't help himself when I stepped out into the garden to dump the water, and went to investigate. I could be blaming him unfairly, but he was in the room and it wasn't broken before I left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

About a week and a half ago I moved into a new apartment, and I managed to do so without killing any fish :toot:.