Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Factor Mystic posted:

Unless this is XP, probably not, no. And had you used drive imaging software to clone your old drive to your new onevinstead of reinstalling, then you'd be up and running with the new drive in less time than it took me to type this post.

Well that's hyperbole but you get the gist.

Ah, thing is, I really needed to just reformat anyways. I was mostly using that as an excuse to buy a new SSD :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but this thread is massive and I read an OP/tried a search and couldn't find anything.

We inherited a basic (but decent) laptop from a relative that passed away a few months back. It's running legit 7 Home Premium x64.

The problem is her laptop is completely infected with crap. My guess is she downloaded all of those handy little apps which pop up :downs:

I would like to do a fresh Win 7 install and not the included laptop restore on the hidden partition because the laptop also came with all sorts of crap shovelware.

Questions I have is this:

It still has the sticker on the bottom of the laptop, but I do not believe that's good enough to activate it, or is it? Assuming it is not, is there a recommended app to extract the key?

If I download the Win 7 ISO from Digital River, will the OEM Key from above be OK activating it?

Thanks very much, and once again I apologize of this has been asked. To be clear, I am not trying to pirate anything, this thing is legit I just want to restore it to fresh.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Hmm. That one worked, but ∧ doesn't, nor do most of the less-common mathematical symbols (sets, logic).

Still can't get most unicode input to work on my laptop keyboard. Any other ideas? It's an Asus eee 1215n.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

EDIT: Whoops, meant to post this in the Win8 thread

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 14, 2013

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.

slidebite posted:

Questions I have is this:

It still has the sticker on the bottom of the laptop, but I do not believe that's good enough to activate it, or is it? Assuming it is not, is there a recommended app to extract the key?

If I download the Win 7 ISO from Digital River, will the OEM Key from above be OK activating it?

Thanks very much, and once again I apologize of this has been asked. To be clear, I am not trying to pirate anything, this thing is legit I just want to restore it to fresh.

Yeah I downloaded it from digital river a bunch of times for random customers. The code on the bottom should work fine. Also the codes the same for Windows 32 bit or 64 bit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks!

I actually did the e-machine recover (ctrl-f10) and as I feared, shovelware abounded. But, after spending a few hours removing all the programs and doing updates, it actually seems OK. If I do it again I'll do it that way with the key, thanks for replying.

Last night after I got it running I ordered 8GB of RAM and a AMD P540 Turioun II to bump ot up a titch. Running 2GB and a V150 now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

slidebite posted:

Thanks!

I actually did the e-machine recover (ctrl-f10) and as I feared, shovelware abounded. But, after spending a few hours removing all the programs and doing updates, it actually seems OK. If I do it again I'll do it that way with the key, thanks for replying.

Last night after I got it running I ordered 8GB of RAM and a AMD P540 Turioun II to bump ot up a titch. Running 2GB and a V150 now.

A good thing to have when you have to do recoveries like that, or buy a new computer from Best Buy and don't want to do an OEM install, is Decrapifier, it cleans up a bunch of that stuff automatically.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's pretty cool. I'm always leery of new apps that I am not familiar with or aren't recommended because god only knows what you're installing, but I will certainly do that in the future.
Thanks! :)

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Two things:

A) My computer takes 5-7 seconds from when I power it on to when it shows me the POST screen. What gives? I'm running an SSD and this pretty much dominates the time it takes to boot.

B) Sometimes my computer just freezes and I can't even press the restart button. I have to hold the power down till it turns off and start it again.

How can I troubleshoot this?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Boz0r posted:

Two things:

A) My computer takes 5-7 seconds from when I power it on to when it shows me the POST screen. What gives? I'm running an SSD and this pretty much dominates the time it takes to boot.

B) Sometimes my computer just freezes and I can't even press the restart button. I have to hold the power down till it turns off and start it again.

How can I troubleshoot this?

Could be RAM, download memtest, burn it to a disc and run it (or boot to usb thumb drive)

You could also have an external hard drive attached that's going bad, should run hardware diags on it if so (and back everything up first)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Medullah posted:

You could also have an external hard drive attached that's going bad, should run hardware diags on it if so (and back everything up first)

I would agree with this. I was having trouble with slow and occasional unsuccessful boots until I removed an old HDD.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Boz0r posted:

There's some sort of driver issue thats going around for Nvidia graphics cards. Apparently rolling back to the default Windows drivers fixes it, although that probably impacts gaming performance.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Boz0r posted:

2 things for nVidia (this is not a known problem for Intel or AMD):

1) Latest beta driver. (Actually 326.41 is probably more stable in general, but 326.80 has still had some work on it so it's probably got a better specific case for you.) If absolutely nothing seems to work yeah 311.06 is rock solid, but you could have performance problems if you play anything from ... oh, 2013.

2) One DVI input has higher priority than the other, and it's not consistently the near or far connector (w/r/t the PCIe interface edge). Try plugging your monitor into the other input and see if it doesn't lock up (or at least as bad).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 16, 2013

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Boz0r posted:

Two things:

I have a junky P-55 based Asus motherboard (first gen i5 chipset), it is just slow as all get out to boot even on an SSD. The Intel brand H87 motherboard I bought (current gen i5) boots pretty much instantly even on a rotational drive.

Maybe try installing Windows from EFI instead of BIOS? Or whatever it's called.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Quick question: I just got a new Macbook Air, installed bootcamp. I have a 128gb SSD so I'm a bit constrained with disk space. I've got an external drive and SD card, but I'm trying to limit my onboard storage usage. I did a search for large files and found that my pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys are eating up about 13 gigs together. Is there an option to limit these in settings and if so, will it impact performance/health of the SSD?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SnatchRabbit posted:

Quick question: I just got a new Macbook Air, installed bootcamp. I have a 128gb SSD so I'm a bit constrained with disk space. I've got an external drive and SD card, but I'm trying to limit my onboard storage usage. I did a search for large files and found that my pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys are eating up about 13 gigs together. Is there an option to limit these in settings and if so, will it impact performance/health of the SSD?

If you don't need hibernate, disable it:
start > cmd > powercfg -h off

Changing the page file:
start > sysdm.cpl > advanced > performance - settings > advanced > change
As for what size page file you should use, you know how much RAM you have and whether you'll need one. You probably don't need a large page file.

I don't know if you're using 7 or 8. I'd be pretty sure removing the hibernate functionality would slow the boot of 8 down to be like 7 because it removes the shortcut that 8 uses to boot faster, but I'm not using 8, so I have no idea. Either way, I'd rather take the space than the boot speed in most cases. SSDs are fast to boot anyway.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 17, 2013

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

HalloKitty posted:

If you don't need hibernate, disable it:
start > cmd > powercfg -h off

Changing the page file:
start > sysdm.cpl > advanced > performance - settings > advanced > change
As for what size page file you should use, you know how much RAM you have and whether you'll need one. You probably don't need a large page file.

I don't know if you're using 7 or 8. I'd be pretty sure removing the hibernate functionality would slow the boot of 8 down to be like 7 because it removes the shortcut that 8 uses to boot faster, but I'm not using 8, so I have no idea. Either way, I'd rather take the space than the boot speed in most cases. SSDs are fast to boot anyway.

Thanks. I'm on Windows 7 prof. I think I might disable hibernate. I'd like to just be able to close the lid and put the computer to sleep. The Air has 8gigs of ram so not sure what that means for pagefile size.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, Picasa has a problem with Pan and Zoom in Windows 8 on the screensaver. This is a big annoyance, is there any Windows 8 screensavers that will allow me to do the Kens Burn Effect (Pan and Zoom) with a slideshow of my photos that won't put a poo poo ton of spyware on my computer? I have a 3 monitor setup, so this would have been cool.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I just reinstalled Windows 7 and, at the end, find out that my Windows 7 key can't be used with the .iso that includes SP1. Do I have any options other than doing this all over again or buying a new key?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Mozi posted:

I just reinstalled Windows 7 and, at the end, find out that my Windows 7 key can't be used with the .iso that includes SP1. Do I have any options other than doing this all over again or buying a new key?

SP1 shouldn't make any difference. If it's rejecting it, it's more than likely either a) A key for a different version (Home, Business, Ultimate) or b) a key for an upgrade, and you're trying to do a full reinstall.

If B), then you have a few ways to get around that.

If A), you're screwed.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
It's a Thinkpad and the key and version of Windows are the same as that came pre-installed.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Mozi posted:

It's a Thinkpad and the key and version of Windows are the same as that came pre-installed.

What error message does it give you exactly?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I installed it fine. But when everything was done and I was looking at the System properties I noticed it still says "3 days until automatic activation, activate Windows now," and when I click on that a window opens that says the product key I typed is invalid for activation, with options for buying a new key or typing a different key.

Edit: I just noticed that the Product ID is different than it used to be.

VVV I probably should have thought of that, good idea. Thanks!

Mozi fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 17, 2013

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Call Microsoft's automated system and do a manual activation.

e; spelling :downs:

Dodoman fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 18, 2013

Eikre
May 2, 2009
So the pair of 2003 servers sitting in the office are really beginning to show their age and a modern machine (running 2012) has been brought in to bring our firepower up to standards.

It was the intention to trash one of the old servers, upgrade the other to 2012, and slide the new machine in. It transpires that the old machines were built with 32 bit processors, though, and server 2012 only comes in x64.

What's my play, here? I would like to push policies using server 2012, but I don't want to give up having a redundant domain controller. In the event that I did give it up, though, I wouldn't want to be required to rebuild the old machine just to make it play nice on a new network. Can I de-escalate a 2003 server to no longer be a domain controller and just plug into a network lead by a 2012 machine and have them play nicely? Will good things happen if I upgrade the 2003 server to 2008? I'm looking for best practices and order of implementation, basically.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
poo poo, if a server is so old it doesn't have an x86-64 processor, I would personally say it has no real business being in a production environment.

If you're talking about migrating your AD to the 2012 machine, just join it to AD as hosted by 2003, now here's where I'll hesitate to say simply demote the 2003 machines, raise the domain functional level, and go on your merry way, because I'm pretty sure you'll need to do some work manually transferring roles to the 2012 DC, not to mention anything old and crusty such as DHCP and DNS that weren't stored in AD, especially if it was originally created in 2000.

Maybe you just need to buy another machine if you want some redundancy. Just buy pretty much the cheapest dell server you can, being a DC for a small network isn't exactly hard work.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 18, 2013

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Yeah I'm pretty much convinced that chasing the machine for its use as a windows server is a dead end and that the ancillary server software that it runs (Which are, as I am given to understand, some accounting things and timesheet stuff) are best preserved by just letting it do those things like it always has and not disrupting any of those functions by trying to put it on the upgrade path to continue serving roles that the new machine can cover in full. My colleague is hesitating to accept that answer and doesn't want to leave anything as "good enough" if it means we do three times as much work later.

My answer to that is to hand-guide the transfer of roles to the new machine, bring down both of the 2003 servers, initiate the fresh 2012 in their place, and then bring up the old keeper server in a vacuum to deactivate all its authority as an AD server or whatever prior to grafting it to the side of the new network. My objective would be for there to be no point in time where the old and new coexist in a capacity where they start bitching at each other and contaminating each other's policy or whatever by trying to synch into the same network. Then, if we really want a fallback redundancy for some roles (for the record: I totally do) I can literally just use a spare workstation with a late model Core 2 in it. I swear to god that can't possibly be worse than the equipment operating right now.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
I just upgraded two 2003 DCs to 2008 R2 and it went smooth as gently caress. I'm not really sure if there is any difference in going to 2012 but all I did was promoted the 2008 R2 machine to a DC, transferred the five FSMO roles to the new machine and demoted/retired both the 2003 machines. Then I brought up a second 2008 R2 machine and promoted it as a secondary DC. Done.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
This might be a bit too complicated but: Does anyone know how to integrate a command like program (mp3splt in my case) into a regular command line command?

What I mean is, as it stands, I have to open cmd.exe, cd into c:\program files (x86)\mp3splt, which now means im operating in that directory

THEN I can type mp3splt [OPTIONS] ect ect

I'd rather be able to run mp3splt anywhere, regardless of what directory I am currently in in command line, just like you would MOVE or COPY

I know this is possible because I installed another command line program, PDF tooklit, which you can operate anywhere just typing PDFTK as a command.

Any idea how this is done?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

IT Guy posted:

I just upgraded two 2003 DCs to 2008 R2 and it went smooth as gently caress. I'm not really sure if there is any difference in going to 2012 but all I did was promoted the 2008 R2 machine to a DC, transferred the five FSMO roles to the new machine and demoted/retired both the 2003 machines. Then I brought up a second 2008 R2 machine and promoted it as a secondary DC. Done.

That's exactly how it is. loving cake, which is nice considering Exchange.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Gozinbulx posted:

This might be a bit too complicated but: Does anyone know how to integrate a command like program (mp3splt in my case) into a regular command line command?

What I mean is, as it stands, I have to open cmd.exe, cd into c:\program files (x86)\mp3splt, which now means im operating in that directory

THEN I can type mp3splt [OPTIONS] ect ect

I'd rather be able to run mp3splt anywhere, regardless of what directory I am currently in in command line, just like you would MOVE or COPY

I know this is possible because I installed another command line program, PDF tooklit, which you can operate anywhere just typing PDFTK as a command.

Any idea how this is done?

Add its program folder to your PATH environment variable. System Properties -> Environment Variables, User variables box, pick "Path", hit edit, add that program folder to the end, hit save. Restart any open command prompts.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

Gozinbulx posted:

Windows has a variable called PATH, which is a semicolon-separated list of directories it looks for executables in. Just add the mp3splt directory to your PATH and it'll be picked up by any future cmd sessions. Here's the directions for editing it in any given Windows version.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
thanks guys!

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I can't seem to find a thread more appropriate for this question but basically my mom is begging me to DO SOMETHING about this and this is the only place I can think to ask.

Basically she spent $40 on this WinZip System Utilities Suite because she has an old (pre2010) office computer she bought off our shady rear end drug dealer neighbor for 80 bucks that runs slowly. The neighbor had an illegal copy of Win 7 on it and my mom updated it until Windows recognized the pirated copy and started restricting it - so she took it into a computer repair shop and spent $80 having them reformat it and install Vista (it had a key for Vista on the side). So now that the thing has been reformatted at least 3 times and is over 4 years old it understandably can't compete with the lovely gaming rig I built for my little brother for $600~ - but she's under the impression that it's only "so slow" because the drat computer repair shop got rid of Windows 7.

Which basically led us to this point where she wasted $40 trying to improve the speed of the computer with shady internet software. Now, full disclosure I'm barely any more computer literate than she is but as far as I can tell the software she paid for is in fact a legitimate product (ie not a complete scam) and she's probably just out $40. But it's quite possible and even likely that I'm wrong so if anyone has any knowledge at all about the aforementioned Winzip System Utility Suite I'd appreciate your insight re: is it a scam? And more importantly is it possible to finagle a refund somehow because she has no use for the software as far as I can tell. She's already behind in bills this month and is probably gonna end up leaning on my sorry rear end when she comes up $40 short somewhere down the line so it would be great if this was somehow fixable.

I understand this is dumb and I am dumb but I'm out of my depth here.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Winzip is a legit company. They've been around for ages.

The software probably doesn't do anything you can't already do in Windows or with other free programs, though. I can't really say, as I've never used it.

Also it's entirely possible Vista slowed down the computer. 7 is quicker than Vista.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
A lot of it looks like a combination of being a front end for windows utilities that are built in (defrag, disk clean up), being useless (secure delete), and being probably detrimental to performance (windows memory optimizer).

Some of the first category would help performance, except that most of those tasks run automatically anyways in Vista. The second category won't help poo poo. The last, if they even do anything, will probably make things worse.

I wouldn't call it a scam, per-se, but it doesn't look much better. On second thought, gently caress it. I'd call it a scam. Try to get a refund, or just charge back that poo poo if they say no.

e: WinZip is a legit company that made a decent gui for an open compression/archival format in the 90's. That's probably the last relevant thing they've done. When a company like that gets into system optimization and malware removal, I question their qualifications.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 19, 2013

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I see. I guess I'll go ahead and try for a chargeback then.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Sinking Ship posted:

I see. I guess I'll go ahead and try for a chargeback then.

Should probably take this to one of the finance threads, but I've heard that in the USA doing this can have consequences for you as well.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Sri.Theo posted:

Should probably take this to one of the finance threads, but I've heard that in the USA doing this can have consequences for you as well.

Worst case scenario would be the Cc company reversing the chargeback and/or WinZip blacklisting him from future purchases, I believe.

I don't know that this is a valid chargeback though. The program is pretty useless, but there's not any sort of fraud. It's not like you could do a chargeback on, say, Vista just because it is poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I think we're overlooking the other obvious thing here - Vista DOES run shittier than Windows 7. Vista needs more resources to run, so I'm not surprised that the system runs slower after downgrading. As far as I'm concerned, Vista was the Windows 7 beta.

I've installed 7 on an 11 year old machines and it runs (not well, but it runs). Vista would cause it to explode.