Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Screw that, writing with a nice pen feels great. The materials, the weight, the balance are all wonderful. Sure, no one needs an expensive rollerball, but anyone who buys one knows you're not buying it for the $5 refill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I prefer the Uniball Jetstreams. Sometimes they get stuck though. I find that suspending the tip in a lighter flame for a short while will usually fix it. But they are smooth as hell and not gel, but write smoothly like gel pens. My only complaint is that there's no red coloured version of the click style, just cap style.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Dudebro posted:

I prefer the Uniball Jetstreams. Sometimes they get stuck though. I find that suspending the tip in a lighter flame for a short while will usually fix it. But they are smooth as hell and not gel, but write smoothly like gel pens. My only complaint is that there's no red coloured version of the click style, just cap style.
wait let me get this straight, you prefer a pen that writes like the pen you wish you had, but it has the added bonus of getting stuck?

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Screw that, writing with a nice pen feels great. The materials, the weight, the balance are all wonderful. Sure, no one needs an expensive rollerball, but anyone who buys one knows you're not buying it for the $5 refill.

Buying an expensive rollerball pen is like buying a Ferrari with an automatic transmission.

If you want a nice pen that demonstrates good taste just get a fountain pen. The Pelikan m200, which costs less than $100 on Amazon, is an absolutely superb entry level choice.

RobotRob
Aug 7, 2007

Let's get weird, but not end of BSG weird.

Etrips posted:

No not really. Be prepared to do a lot of research if you are going to drop a lot of money on a mattress. This site helped out a ton when I ended up buying my latex mattress off of Amazon.

http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/

Thanks for the site. Looks like a ton of useful info to sift through.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Guilty posted:

wait let me get this straight, you prefer a pen that writes like the pen you wish you had, but it has the added bonus of getting stuck?

No, I don't want a gel pen. It writes like one without smearing. And getting stuck is a minor setback that doesn't happen too often. Pens get stuck sometimes if they're ballpoint.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Gilgameshback posted:

Buying an expensive rollerball pen is like buying a Ferrari with an automatic transmission.

If you want a nice pen that demonstrates good taste just get a fountain pen. The Pelikan m200, which costs less than $100 on Amazon, is an absolutely superb entry level choice.

I used to use the Waterman I got back in high school but I didn't like leaving such a nice pen at work so I switched to these: http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Disposable-Fountain-Assorted-90029/dp/B00092PRCA/ref=sr_1_2?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1378979081&sr=1-2

It's probably heresy to use a disposable fountain pen but I got used to them. Only problem is when someone borrows it and doesn't realize it's a fountain pen and almost mangles the drat nib.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Coincidentally Sweethome (the houseware side of the Wirecutter site) just reviewed pens and found the uni-ball Jetstream to be their favourite. If you want to read a 5000 word comparative round-up style review of pens, there you go.

edit -- Also coincidentally yesterday one of my clients gave me a 1.0mm Jetstream as a replacement for a pen they accidentally stole from me. I like it a lot, certainly more than the pen they nabbed.

ChetReckless has a new favorite as of 14:40 on Sep 12, 2013

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

It's probably heresy to use a disposable fountain pen but I got used to them. Only problem is when someone borrows it and doesn't realize it's a fountain pen and almost mangles the drat nib.

Those Pilot Varsity pens are terrific, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them - their nibs are at least as good as the nibs on pens that cost way more than $3.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

So I'm replacing a old desk. I would like to be able to tilt it and lay it flat, so I can put my laptop on as well as draw on it. Know of any good ones of reasonable quality and cheap price?

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude
Pen-chat: Uniball Vision and Vision Needles in 0.7 mm are my favourite and I've tried quite a few. They are perfect to me.

Beard-chat: I need a beard trimmer but I don't want to get crazy and spend like over $75. Anything stand out?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Millow posted:

Pen-chat: Uniball Vision and Vision Needles in 0.7 mm are my favourite and I've tried quite a few. They are perfect to me.

Beard-chat: I need a beard trimmer but I don't want to get crazy and spend like over $75. Anything stand out?

Penchat: Ultra fine point Sharpies are the best thing out there.

Beardchat: I have owned like a dozen beard and/or head-shavers over the years and honestly anything around that price range is going to be fine so long as you clean and oil it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Gilgameshback posted:

Those Pilot Varsity pens are terrific, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them - their nibs are at least as good as the nibs on pens that cost way more than $3.

Pilot also makes a $20 fountain pen called the Metropolitan, fountain pen nerds say it's the best sub-$50 pen ever.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Can someone recommend a case for a samsung galaxy s3? I want something minimally bulky, just enough to maybe save it from breaking if I drop it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Doghouse posted:

Can someone recommend a case for a samsung galaxy s3? I want something minimally bulky, just enough to maybe save it from breaking if I drop it.

I picked up this for my S3. It's thin and has been pretty good about saving it when it drops. Also still allows the phone to be able to fit on the dock which is nice.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Doghouse posted:

Spigen (formerly SGP) make the best cases ever and theyre relatively cheap compared to otterbox, etc.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

I used to use the Waterman I got back in high school but I didn't like leaving such a nice pen at work so I switched to these: http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Disposable-Fountain-Assorted-90029/dp/B00092PRCA/ref=sr_1_2?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1378979081&sr=1-2

Ugh disposable fountain pens. If you really don't want to lay down a lot of cash in case it gets stolen or lost you should switch to this $8 one that you can just use cartridges with.

http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Penmanship-Fountain-Pen-with-Ergo-Grip-Extra-Fine-Nib-Black-Body/pd/4007

That way you can afford to replace it if you lose it, and you'll just be paying for the cartridges (12 for $4) instead of completely new pens with lovely nibs.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Ugh disposable fountain pens. If you really don't want to lay down a lot of cash in case it gets stolen or lost you should switch to this $8 one that you can just use cartridges with.

http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Penmanship-Fountain-Pen-with-Ergo-Grip-Extra-Fine-Nib-Black-Body/pd/4007

That way you can afford to replace it if you lose it, and you'll just be paying for the cartridges (12 for $4) instead of completely new pens with lovely nibs.

Have you ever actually seen or used a Pilot Varsity? The nibs may be cheap but they're certainly not lovely.

Price and quality have never had much to do with one another in the world of fountain pens.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Gilgameshback posted:

Have you ever actually seen or used a Pilot Varsity? The nibs may be cheap but they're certainly not lovely.

Price and quality have never had much to do with one another in the world of fountain pens.

Yeah I have actually. Half the pack I bought was dead, most of the ones that worked leaked everywhere and some of them just wrote really weirdly - like the ink was blobby or left little tails/streaks when you lifted it from the paper. One or two wrote decent enough but it wasn't worth it. The pen I linked isn't the greatest thing in the world but the tip is pretty good and you reuse the body. I find throwing out a pen once the ink runs out to be a little too wasteful.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
I just wanted to pop in and say that I bought a Contigo stainless steel travel mug as recommended in the OP and it is wonderful :)

I brought my own coffee from home to work today. I drank it slowly over the course of three hours and it remained a good, drinkable temperature the whole time (plus my ~45 minute commute). The lid is snug and secure. I threw the mug on my seat during the drive because it won't fit in my awkwardly placed cup holder (I'm sure it will fit in a normal one), and I wasn't worried for a second about it leaking. Worth every penny to me.

Thank you, thread!

Solid Cake has a new favorite as of 03:42 on Sep 18, 2013

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
FYI: for fountain pen recommendations and info, there's an active thread for that that's pretty helpful.

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008

Etrips posted:

No not really. Be prepared to do a lot of research if you are going to drop a lot of money on a mattress. This site helped out a ton when I ended up buying my latex mattress off of Amazon.

http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/

What bed did you end up buying and how do you like it? I'm actually in the market for a new bed and I've heard good things about latex but I don't know too much about it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

^^^^
Oh in Pen Chat, I did eventually buy a Jetstream and it's prety good. I don't really like the look of the lines it puts out, and it sorts feels like it's not quite my hand writing, but I like it because it doesn't smudge and it's readable. I also bought as Zebra Z-Mulxion pen, and I'd put them about the same grade of pen, though with differences.

annyway

Cross posting from A/T

Tell me about light therapy. Does it work?? I currently work the gulag hellshift of 10AM-11PM Friday, 10AM-Midnight Saturday/Sunday. I have Monday through Thursday to handle my school stuff decompress, and get other poo poo done. I can manage my school stuff but by weeks are turning into a blurry mess of disorganization caused by lack of a gently caress to give.

So I am thinking maybe the reason this job drains me so much is because I'm tied to a desk for 14 hours with no coworker to talk to, no smoke break to go on to chat on, and really no reason to see the sun unless I make a specific effort to do so. Can't a gadget do t his for me?

So the question here is: Do these things actually work? Do Light Therapy Panels make you more energetic? Do they have anti-depressant qualities? I could use both of those and am willing to purchase once, but I dont' know which ones are the good ones and which ones are the bad ones. I didn't see a wirecutter writeup about them.

If someone who has a suggesstion and can back up their suggesstion with comparison to other devices, that could help me out.

Come, light salesman, show me the waaaaaaaaay

Sell me the sun

signalnoise has a new favorite as of 08:08 on Sep 21, 2013

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Lord Lambeth posted:

So I'm replacing a old desk. I would like to be able to tilt it and lay it flat, so I can put my laptop on as well as draw on it. Know of any good ones of reasonable quality and cheap price?

To what degree and durability do you need this? Ikea makes a wide variety of desk legs and tables that you can fit together, and one of them works as the legs for an artist's desk. See assembly here: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/assembly_instructions/finnvard-trestle-with-shelf__AA-844508-1_pub.pdf

This trestle should work with any desktop to turn it into an angled desktop. The tops themselves are so cheap I use one for crafting and don't give a gently caress if it had paint basically over the entire surface.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I need recommendations for a decent external CD/DVD drive. I need to use it on both my laptop and desktop. If there are any decent blu-ray ones out there I'd be happy to hear it.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

signalnoise posted:

^^^^
Oh in Pen Chat, I did eventually buy a Jetstream and it's prety good. I don't really like the look of the lines it puts out, and it sorts feels like it's not quite my hand writing, but I like it because it doesn't smudge and it's readable. I also bought as Zebra Z-Mulxion pen, and I'd put them about the same grade of pen, though with differences.

annyway

Cross posting from A/T

Tell me about light therapy. Does it work?? I currently work the gulag hellshift of 10AM-11PM Friday, 10AM-Midnight Saturday/Sunday. I have Monday through Thursday to handle my school stuff decompress, and get other poo poo done. I can manage my school stuff but by weeks are turning into a blurry mess of disorganization caused by lack of a gently caress to give.

So I am thinking maybe the reason this job drains me so much is because I'm tied to a desk for 14 hours with no coworker to talk to, no smoke break to go on to chat on, and really no reason to see the sun unless I make a specific effort to do so. Can't a gadget do t his for me?

So the question here is: Do these things actually work? Do Light Therapy Panels make you more energetic? Do they have anti-depressant qualities? I could use both of those and am willing to purchase once, but I dont' know which ones are the good ones and which ones are the bad ones. I didn't see a wirecutter writeup about them.

If someone who has a suggesstion and can back up their suggesstion with comparison to other devices, that could help me out.

Come, light salesman, show me the waaaaaaaaay

Sell me the sun

Sort of a side thing, but try installing f.lux(freeware); it's supposed to change monitor brightness and color temp throughout the day to ease eyestrain and other stuff.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

duckfarts posted:

Sort of a side thing, but try installing f.lux(freeware); it's supposed to change monitor brightness and color temp throughout the day to ease eyestrain and other stuff.

The idea behind f.lux is cool, but it ended up being the trigger of a series of blue screens on my computer. If it works for other people, great, but I can't recommend it.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
Does anyone have a favorite iPhone/Bluetooth speaker? My old and faithful Logitech set is to be retired now that I have a 5s. I suppose I could also go with a dock so the phone could charge as well - the speakers being rechargeable is a must - I don't like mucking about with batteries.

I was looking at the Slingshot primarily, but can't find many reviews. Being able to switch songs in the shower would be amazing.

Logitech also has a little rechargeable boombox that comes in pretty colors, and I've been really happy with every Logitech product I've ever owned.

I don't know what a 360 speaker is like, but it looks kind of cool, despite the steep pricetag.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

morcant posted:

Does anyone have a favorite iPhone/Bluetooth speaker? My old and faithful Logitech set is to be retired now that I have a 5s. I suppose I could also go with a dock so the phone could charge as well - the speakers being rechargeable is a must - I don't like mucking about with batteries.

I was looking at the Slingshot primarily, but can't find many reviews. Being able to switch songs in the shower would be amazing.

Logitech also has a little rechargeable boombox that comes in pretty colors, and I've been really happy with every Logitech product I've ever owned.

I don't know what a 360 speaker is like, but it looks kind of cool, despite the steep pricetag.

I've been eyeing this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007R6HUEE/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I have the Logitech UE Boombox and couldn't be happier. The sound is great and it can get pretty loud.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Gyshall posted:

I have the Logitech UE Boombox and couldn't be happier. The sound is great and it can get pretty loud.

This is the one that Wirecutter recommends. I find their reviews to be pretty good myself so if I was buying one I'd buy this.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
Logitech hasn't steered me wrong yet, so I think the UE Boombox might be it. Maybe I can even find it through Verizon so I can use some slick affiliate discount thing I apparently get.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Looking for some item recommendations since this winter is supposedly to be pretty bad and I would like to be prepared now that I live out in the boonies.

Kerosene heater?
Oil lamps or a light source with no power
Small grill to cook with with no power
Something to charge phones / battery pack thing?

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Etrips posted:

Looking for some item recommendations since this winter is supposedly to be pretty bad and I would like to be prepared now that I live out in the boonies.

Kerosene heater?

For an emergency power-outage grill that you plan to use only a few times I wouldn't really recommend anything but this Japanese konro tabletop grill:

You'll also need Japanese charcoal, which is $52 a bag (not incl. shipping).

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Okay here goes:

I live at about 8,800 feet above sea level so it snows all winter. I have a job where I have to take my shoes off frequently (like, ten times a day or so) and am looking for some new shoes this winter. Something with a good grippy sole (vibram?), brown leather, not too dressy but more "business casual", and most importantly easy to get on and off quickly (no laces involved, preferably.) Cold weather people, who's got a pair they love?

E: Forgot to mention "warm" :rolleyes:

Dogan
Aug 2, 2006

Gilgameshback posted:

For an emergency power-outage grill that you plan to use only a few times I wouldn't really recommend anything but this Japanese konro tabletop grill:

You'll also need Japanese charcoal, which is $52 a bag (not incl. shipping).

So what's so great about this grill? It just works well indoors?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Etrips posted:

Kerosene heater?

Why not a generator? Then you can power your refrigerator too.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Dogan posted:

So what's so great about this grill? It just works well indoors?

Its a bit ludicrous price-wise for something that you might use in the event of a days-long blackout (at least that specific grill.)

You'd probably be better off with something like this which can be run off of a common propane tank available at hardware stores.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
That or a Weber Smokey Joe: http://amzn.com/B00004RALL ($30)
And you can use normal charcoal ($0.35/lb) vs. special Japanese charcoal ($2.31/lb)

Was the suggestion of the Japanese grill serious, and just happened to have a overprice version linked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Moot . posted:

Okay here goes:

I live at about 8,800 feet above sea level so it snows all winter. I have a job where I have to take my shoes off frequently (like, ten times a day or so) and am looking for some new shoes this winter. Something with a good grippy sole (vibram?), brown leather, not too dressy but more "business casual", and most importantly easy to get on and off quickly (no laces involved, preferably.) Cold weather people, who's got a pair they love?

E: Forgot to mention "warm" :rolleyes:

I've had both Merrells and Keens.

If you poke around on the sites you may find something fitting the bill. Those aren't the exact shoes I had but similar. The Merrells I had were insulated and really warm, the Keens were not insulated but still OK. Both were slip-ons, so easy in and out all day with like expandable neoprene (or similar) gussets or whatever they're called.

• Locked thread