Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Yeah, I unexpectedly had to help a friend move today so the column was a total surprise to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Seeing Insidious Chapter 2's Rotten Tomatometer score, I had a feeling it will fare far better with Current Releases. I am so happy to be right. Too bad the movie won't be screened in my country for another month.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

I can confirm: Insidious 2 is a whole lotta fun. It's not quite as great as the first, but it takes the story into wildly unexpected territory. So if audacious plotting is your thing, it delivers. I only wish they didn't have to tone down a certain aspect of the story to secure a PG-13 rating because I feel like it muddles the plot a bit. It's like watching a PCA-era film in that regard.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Real glad Insidious 2 is great, 1 is one of my favorite horror movies too and the review sounds right up my alley. Gonna get some friends and go see that soon.

TheBigC
Jan 22, 2007
I agree with the Grandmaster review, the fights were great but it felt really disjointed. Like 3/4 of the way through I remember thinking "So is Gong Er really the grandmaster? Why are we spending so much time on this character?"

Also, in other terrible Robert De Niro movie news, did any of the Current Releases crew see terrible De Niro/John Travolta cat and mouse thriller "Killing Season" earlier this summer? It was not great, but hopefully bought a few more yachts for Timmy and Kenny!

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

TheBigC posted:

I agree with the Grandmaster review, the fights were great but it felt really disjointed. Like 3/4 of the way through I remember thinking "So is Gong Er really the grandmaster? Why are we spending so much time on this character?"

Gong Er can't be the grandmaster, because Gong Er never taught Bruce Lee. :colbert:

I get the feeling they had the fight scene at the train station all worked out, and then had to reverse engineer that whole B plot just to get there. Like, I want to believe there was more thought put into it than that, but it certainly doesn't show.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Current Releases reviewed a (kinda) Hong Kong movie! :neckbeard:

I wonder exactly how much was cut for the US release, and I also wonder how differently Jay Dub would've felt about the original cut. To be honest, I don't personally enjoy Wong Kar-wai movies all that much. Although I can appreciate them and I understand the appeal for faggy hipster types. I definitely enjoyed The Grandmaster a lot more than most though. His take on a martial arts film appealed to me a lot more than Happy Together or In the Mood for Love.

And at least I don't have to hear 'California Dreaming' 50 loving times.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

All right, you all are the closest thing to film critic friends I have, so I'd like to discuss shop for a moment. Have you ever been in a situation where you're watching a film and generally taking stock of the flaws for the sake of writing a review later, only to realize at the end with a really subtle shot or line that you'd actually been reading the entire situation completely wrong and it fundamentally alters your notion about what had previously seemed to be an obvious flaw? I don't mean a situation like "Breaking the Girls", where it's a textual plot twist. The situation I'm in is that I had assumed a film had a weak underdeveloped romantic subplot, but then when the ending came around I realized the character was more of a metaphorical representation of the possibilities in the protagonist's life than an actual love interest. And that this narrative thread runs through every part of the film's broader storyline, so that a film I had thought was well-made but scattershot in its narrative implications was actually much stronger than I thought while I was actually watching it.

It's making me feel ambivalent, because while I obviously have to discuss this in my review, it's hard to disassociate this from my own personal feelings and the way I read movies. Theoretically this should result in a review that will prevent the situation I went through (since I'll be giving the readers clues as to what they should be watching for), but still. I'm supposed to be a professional opinion-haver but it taking that long to figure it out makes me doubt my analytical abilities, since a lot of what I thought were good critiques I now know to be completely wrong and missing the film's actual point.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Some Guy TT posted:

All right, you all are the closest thing to film critic friends I have, so I'd like to discuss shop for a moment. Have you ever been in a situation where you're watching a film and generally taking stock of the flaws for the sake of writing a review later, only to realize at the end with a really subtle shot or line that you'd actually been reading the entire situation completely wrong and it fundamentally alters your notion about what had previously seemed to be an obvious flaw? I don't mean a situation like "Breaking the Girls", where it's a textual plot twist. The situation I'm in is that I had assumed a film had a weak underdeveloped romantic subplot, but then when the ending came around I realized the character was more of a metaphorical representation of the possibilities in the protagonist's life than an actual love interest. And that this narrative thread runs through every part of the film's broader storyline, so that a film I had thought was well-made but scattershot in its narrative implications was actually much stronger than I thought while I was actually watching it.

It's making me feel ambivalent, because while I obviously have to discuss this in my review, it's hard to disassociate this from my own personal feelings and the way I read movies. Theoretically this should result in a review that will prevent the situation I went through (since I'll be giving the readers clues as to what they should be watching for), but still. I'm supposed to be a professional opinion-haver but it taking that long to figure it out makes me doubt my analytical abilities, since a lot of what I thought were good critiques I now know to be completely wrong and missing the film's actual point.

Don't get discouraged, it happens to us all at some point. This is exactly what happened to me with Insidious, where halfway through writing the review I realized that my biggest complaint, the third-act tonal shift, was actually part of the point of the movie. The best thing to do, if you have time, is to re-write it, or to simply come out and say "at first, you may believe X, as I did, but if you pay attention, it's actually Y." This is a perfectly acceptable and common thing for a critic to say. It's just like having a different opinion on a film after the second viewing. It's a testament to your analytic abilities that you were able to recognize this in the first place and more importantly, it shows that you are capable of analyzing your own work. So don't be too down on yourself.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's good to know that Runner Runner is as dull as the constant trailers for it I've been forced to sit through made it look.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

I just wanted to hop in to say cheers to Professor Clumsy; I read your reviews every week even if I haven't heard of the movie and don't plan on seeing it, mostly because there's always great lines like this:

"There is a woman in this film. Unfortunately, Runner Runner left me slightly confused as to just what a woman is. Sometimes I think that they're people, but then I keep seeing movies where they're not."

And the aside about hypercompetency in American media - some really good thought-provoking lines that I can muse over and then throw into conversation later to completely enrage all the horrible, horrible nerds I hang out with on a regular basis.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
There's something refreshing about the movie of the week being a kidflick sequel full of puns. Makes me feel good inside.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

fuzzy_logic posted:

I just wanted to hop in to say cheers to Professor Clumsy; I read your reviews every week even if I haven't heard of the movie and don't plan on seeing it, mostly because there's always great lines like this:

"There is a woman in this film. Unfortunately, Runner Runner left me slightly confused as to just what a woman is. Sometimes I think that they're people, but then I keep seeing movies where they're not."

And the aside about hypercompetency in American media - some really good thought-provoking lines that I can muse over and then throw into conversation later to completely enrage all the horrible, horrible nerds I hang out with on a regular basis.

Thank you. Enraging horrible nerds is what I live for.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I really wish the "how easy is it to describe the plot without mentioning any female characters" test could become the new Bechdel Test, because the latter encourages lots of nerdish nitpicking but it's very easy to just do basic summaries of a movie and go "I can't figure out why this movie has a female lead except for the sake of having a female lead". Unfortunately it will probably never happen because there's no catchy name attached to it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Well, if it's a catchy name you want, a similar test was recently coined by Kelly Sue DeConnick, dubbed "the sexy lamp test". Basically, you have to determine whether the story would be affected if the female lead were replaced with a particularly beguiling lamp.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

That seems like a theory that just needs a tumblr photoshopping the lamp from A Christmas Story in place of useless female characters to take off.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tars Tarkas posted:

That seems like a theory that just needs a tumblr photoshopping the lamp from A Christmas Story in place of useless female characters to take off.

Please someone do this, maybe make a photoshop friday thread for it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There's clearly a lot wrong with Battle of the Year, but I do sincerely believe that more movies need to feature a gruff and drunken Josh Holloway being coaxed back into action.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I realize that the reason there's at least one dance battle movie a year is because they never fail to turn a profit (thanks to how cheaply they're made and the fact that they're all in 3D), but I still have to ask: where's the demand?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Y-Hat posted:

I realize that the reason there's at least one dance battle movie a year is because they never fail to turn a profit (thanks to how cheaply they're made and the fact that they're all in 3D), but I still have to ask: where's the demand?
Right here. Battle of the Year looks terrible, but I won't hear an ill word spoken about Step Up: Revolution. And Footloose was Ian's favorite movie of 2011.

megapuppy
Jun 21, 2006

Mastiff Logistics left my package in the rain
Good to see the love for Curse of Chucky. Really enjoyed that one at Frightfest earlier this year, despite the niggling issues aptly pointed out in the review. Has "We are what we are" been reviewed yet? That was one of my faves from the festival. Harsh viewing, but really great performances and atmospheric (literally) as hell.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Keanu Grieves posted:

Right here. Battle of the Year looks terrible, but I won't hear an ill word spoken about Step Up: Revolution. And Footloose was Ian's favorite movie of 2011.

All true things. Step Up: Revolution is not an any way my kind of movie, but the dancing in it was loving rad as hell.

Also, Footloose 2011 4 lyfe

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I think the defining feature of a 'dance movie' is the presence of a dance team and/or competition. Footloose is outside the category, and also fantastic.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
It should be noted that the dancing in Footloose '11 is 1000X better than the dancing in Footloose '86. The dancing in the original Footloose is pretty loving atrocious.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Footloose '11 >>>>>>>> Footloose '86 > Footloose '84

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

General Ironicus posted:

I think the defining feature of a 'dance movie' is the presence of a dance team and/or competition. Footloose is outside the category, and also fantastic.
Spot on, and Footloose doesn't deserve to be lumped in with them anyway.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

So, just finished watching Short Term 12, and I really would just like to emphasize- listen to Vargo on this one. This is a film that is absolutely worth your time to see if the opportunity is available to you. Which maybe it's not. I'm at an international film festival. Regardless it's without a doubt the best American movie I've seen all year.

On the subject of film festivals- do you Current Releases guys go to them? I get the impression that you do visit them as guests, but I mean, have you tried getting a press credential? Different festivals have different levels of hierarchy- of the three internationals I've been to, two gave them to me without question. It's worth your time to at least send out applications to see if you get past the filter or not. Not everyone knows what Something Awful is and if you flash enough impressive-sounding factoids at the coordinators there's a decent chance they'll just decide they're better off letting you in than risk pissing off someone with important connections.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I've been to one or two in the past, but it was always as a spectator, no press passes or anything. The festival circuit is something I know I need to start getting into, but I keep talking myself out of it for one reason or another.

Namely, it's that Current Releases isn't exactly the best outlet for covering festivals. Vargo covered one last fall, and that was a really cool change of pace for us (which got him a hilarious bit of press), but that's kind of an oddity as far as our column goes.

I guess the real question is would people like to see us do more of that?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Actually, I should find out today whether or not I've been approved for a press credential for the Philadelphia Film Festival again.

EDIT: I should note that it was pretty easy to get my press credentials last year. I had to get some stats from Garbage Day and an official "assignment" from Clumsy, but they approved me pretty quick. It's taking slightly longer this year, because they have a new method of doing it, I guess?

Vargo fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 8, 2013

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

megapuppy posted:

Good to see the love for Curse of Chucky. Really enjoyed that one at Frightfest earlier this year, despite the niggling issues aptly pointed out in the review. Has "We are what we are" been reviewed yet? That was one of my faves from the festival. Harsh viewing, but really great performances and atmospheric (literally) as hell.
When that hits VOD (if it hasn't already) I'll check it out. I still haven't seen the original though.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

About Carrie: the AV Club review brought up a point about how casting Chloe Moretz as Carrie, who isn't supposed to be traditionally beautiful, makes less sense than having the main character in She's All That undesirable solely because she wears glasses. Regardless of that statement's exaggeration, it does bring up a good point about Hollywood's wildly inaccurate casting choices. Your thoughts, Sean?

What I am having a hard time picturing is seeing Judy Greer in a dramatic role. She's the voice of Cheryl on Archer and was Kitty on Arrested Development- who decided on that role for her?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
If Ian's review didn't already convince you to see Escape Plan, a few points that he didn't mention stood out particularly interesting to me. He's absolutely right about this being Arnold's best acting, but the point is that everyone knew, including Sly, that this had to be Arnold. The movie simply wouldn't work with anyone else. This is one of those times when an actor's personal life and their work collide, because whenever Arnold makes a movie that even hints at political themes, you HAVE to acknowledge that he his himself a Republican politician. Meaning that this is a film which condemns the privatized prison system, as well as secret prisons like Guantanamo, by using a man whose political party has been highly supportive of such actions. Arnold's refusal to crack under torture, including waterboarding, is an important piece in this film, as well as his willingness to compromise and end a long-standing feud with a Muslim antagonist, who is actually portrayed as sympathetic and heroic. Also, I never thought a Schwarzenegger/Stallone movie would make me want to revisit Michel Foucault, but here we are.

Vargo fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 21, 2013

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Y-Hat posted:

About Carrie: the AV Club review brought up a point about how casting Chloe Moretz as Carrie, who isn't supposed to be traditionally beautiful, makes less sense than having the main character in She's All That undesirable solely because she wears glasses. Regardless of that statement's exaggeration, it does bring up a good point about Hollywood's wildly inaccurate casting choices. Your thoughts, Sean?
I discussed this with my girlfriend partway through the movie, and apparently Carrie is conventionally attractive in the book, but instead of having that beauty hidden behind glasses, it's hidden in her awful homemade dresses and her horribly shy demeanor. I dunno, as a 30-year-old man, I get a little uncomfortable when asked to judge teen actors based on looks. I will say this, though: The film has a strange way of accommodating the casting of Moretz as Carrie by surrounding her with actresses who are in their mid-twenties and Cosmo-prettier. It's an escalation game, I guess. Of the various Carries, Moretz does the best job. Interesting, that just through facial expressions, she gives Carrie a more aware, sadistic edge. This Carrie knows how to use her powers effectively and seems to enjoy it. Telekinesis seemed like an involuntary function for her predecessors.

Greer does a pretty good job though. I was surprised too.

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 21, 2013

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Judy Greer was in The Descendants, too. She's great with dramatic roles.

I was not expecting the Twelve Years a Slave review to have so many rear end Spiders.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Keanu Grieves posted:

I discussed this with my girlfriend partway through the movie

Oh, that's allowed? I've done that a couple of times and felt like it was unethical or something. Why I have no idea, since there's always easy contextual stuff that can be missed by someone working alone. Especially since I normally review films in a second language.

quote:

and apparently Carrie is conventionally attractive in the book, but instead of having that beauty hidden behind glasses, it's hidden in her awful homemade dresses and her horribly shy demeanor.

Ugh, I hate how fiction always does this. You know who gets bullied in real life? People who are actually ugly! It doesn't matter if your story is a deliberate obvious slam against bullies, when it re-enforces one of the main social beliefs that justifies this kind of behavior, the metaphor is too mixed to be at all useful.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Some Guy TT posted:

Oh, that's allowed? I've done that a couple of times and felt like it was unethical or something. Why I have no idea, since there's always easy contextual stuff that can be missed by someone working alone. Especially since I normally review films in a second language.

Ugh, I hate how fiction always does this. You know who gets bullied in real life? People who are actually ugly! It doesn't matter if your story is a deliberate obvious slam against bullies, when it re-enforces one of the main social beliefs that justifies this kind of behavior, the metaphor is too mixed to be at all useful.
I agree. Moretz is the better actress but Spacek is closer to how I imagine Carrie from my memory of the book. They each bring something different to the character though. As did Angela Bettis, whose Carrie deserved a better movie.

And, no, it's not cheating to bounce ideas off someone more familiar with the source material. Hell, I had a former Navy man give my review of Captain Phillips the once-over to ensure I used nautical terms correctly. And, of course, the four of us read each other's reviews prior to publication. Criticism doesn't exist in a vacuum, especially with a 24-hour-if-we're-lucky turnaround.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Some Guy TT posted:

Ugh, I hate how fiction always does this. You know who gets bullied in real life? People who are actually ugly!

Agreed, victims of bullying are astonishingly ugly & to be honest they probably deserve it.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Was the source of carrie's powers seriously her own menses? She has a period run down her leg, she can blow up a light bulb, if you dump a pig out on her she can murder a town? I've only seen parodies I never saw/read the original.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

It was supposed to vaguely mythical/metaphorical. Menarche -> Womanhood -> Power, or something along those lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Krinkle posted:

Was the source of carrie's powers seriously her own menses? She has a period run down her leg, she can blow up a light bulb, if you dump a pig out on her she can murder a town? I've only seen parodies I never saw/read the original.

She doesn't literally have blood powered telekinesis, no. It's a metaphorical coming into one's body/strange puberty changes thing. The story is definitely a product of a new novelist in the 70's, so I wouldn't bother tracking down the original book.

• Locked thread