Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

This showed up at the SIU airport today, please excuse the lovely ipad quality:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

grover posted:

We don't get UK4 here. Please post a link to the clip once it airs, though!

It's not up yet but when it is it'll appear here: http://www.channel4.com/news/catch-up/ you'll probably need a UK proxy to view it though.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I didn't make the cut, hopefully they'll include me in another programme. They had a harrowing piece on the al-Baida massacre instead.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

LAAAAAAAAAAME!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Quite awesome actually. His grand kids doing it would be meh, but when a 94 yo marine wants to give back a sword in the name of peace, you loving take it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

That thing is the machine of nightmares. A nuclear powered, nuclear bomb dropping cruise missile. You think ICBM/ABM political balance are bad, think how hosed stability would get if someone deployed something like that.

It would have been the first combat drone. Only it carried the (at the time) equivalent of an entire SSBN in nuclear warheads. Burning nuclear-powered laps in the sky until someone gave it the go order.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Beastie posted:

This showed up at the SIU airport today, please excuse the lovely ipad quality:

Southern Illinois University at Carbondale?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Quite awesome actually. His grand kids doing it would be meh, but when a 94 yo marine wants to give back a sword in the name of peace, you loving take it.
Can't let the Japs forget.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Richard Bong posted:

Southern Illinois University at Carbondale?

That's right. I guess the pilot was a 2005(?) graduate. He said he got it from St. Louis to here in 12 minutes. We're leaving class early today to watch him do a short-field take off. It's going to be awesome.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MRC48B posted:

That thing is the machine of nightmares. A nuclear powered, nuclear bomb dropping cruise missile. You think ICBM/ABM political balance are bad, think how hosed stability would get if someone deployed something like that.

It would have been the first combat drone. Only it carried the (at the time) equivalent of an entire SSBN in nuclear warheads. Burning nuclear-powered laps in the sky until someone gave it the go order.

GBS and reddit get really upset that we didn't end up having a giant nuclear holocaust gunship around for the Cold War. What do people think, that if it actually ended up being used for space travel that the nations of the earth would have banded together to fund Mars colonies?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Fallom posted:

GBS and reddit get really upset that we didn't end up having a giant nuclear holocaust gunship around for the Cold War. What do people think, that if it actually ended up being used for space travel that the nations of the earth would have banded together to fund Mars colonies?

I know a lot of people, including my 10 year old self, that felt that was exactly what would happen.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Beastie posted:

That's right. I guess the pilot was a 2005(?) graduate. He said he got it from St. Louis to here in 12 minutes. We're leaving class early today to watch him do a short-field take off. It's going to be awesome.

Well I am pretty jealous, I almost wish I didn't go to Chicago this weekend. Was he doing a cross country thing or were they in St Louis for a demo?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

My professor was saying that they flew to St. Louis for a stop, burned their way here, and are now off to Wright-Patterson AFB.

He climbed out of the pattern and was out of sight in about 10 seconds. :fap:

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Fallom posted:

In such a scenario, the most aggressive nation will triumph anyway.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Derek Dominoe posted:

In such a scenario, the most aggressive nation will triumph anyway.

http://sidmeiersalphacentauri.wikia.com/wiki/Peacekeeping_Forces

stupid alpha centauri wiki posted:

"As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last loose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."
-- Commissioner Pravin Lal, "UN Declaration of Rights"

now i'm wondering how long before this vidya game quote starts popping up on facebook next to a picture of barry obongo doing something wacky

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
But NSA is all about free flow of information... in one direction... regardless of how hard people are trying to hide it.

lewdminx
Aug 25, 2004
lmao

Brown Moses posted:

Some even have been arguing it's FAE, but that's not a theory I find particularly convincing.

Can anyone explain to me in simple terms the difference between FAE and thermobaric munitions?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

lewdminx posted:

Can anyone explain to me in simple terms the difference between FAE and thermobaric munitions?

A thermobaric weapon is any explosive that reacts with the ambient air to create a high-temperature, high-pressure explosion. A fuel-air bomb is just the easiest way of doing that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermobaric_weapon

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

MRC48B posted:

Well, until someone shot it down. It would have been flying during a time when nuclear-tipped SAMs were still a thing.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Madurai posted:

Well, until someone shot it down. It would have been flying during a time when nuclear-tipped SAMs were still a thing.

If it detects an incomming SAM or plane it should CRANK ITS REACTOR UP TO 11 and spew out enough hard rads to fry any electronics or crew.

Or just do that at all times.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Baloogan posted:

If it detects an incomming SAM or plane it should CRANK ITS REACTOR UP TO 11 and spew out enough hard rads to fry any electronics or crew.

Or just do that at all times.

Considering there would be absolutely no way to shield the reactor due to weight it would be an all time thing.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
This project is the angry, glowing cock of Curtis LeMay.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

hailthefish posted:

A thermobaric weapon is any explosive that reacts with the ambient air to create a high-temperature, high-pressure explosion. A fuel-air bomb is just the easiest way of doing that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermobaric_weapon

quote:

A fuel-air explosive (FAE) device consists of a container of fuel and two separate explosive charges. After the munition is dropped or fired, the first explosive charge bursts open the container at a predetermined height and disperses the fuel in a cloud that mixes with atmospheric oxygen (the size of the cloud varies with the size of the munition). The cloud of fuel flows around objects and into structures. The second charge then detonates the cloud, creating a massive blast wave. The blast wave destroys unreinforced buildings and equipment and kills and injures people. The antipersonnel effect of the blast wave is more severe in foxholes, on people with body armor, and in enclosed spaces such as caves, buildings, and bunkers.

Out of curiosity: Why?
I get enclosed spaces due to pressure and percussive amplification and such, but body armor?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Out of curiosity: Why?
I get enclosed spaces due to pressure and percussive amplification and such, but body armor?

I'd assume it has to do with the way the pressure waves act on the surface of the armor and how the body can or cannot deform to accommodate the pressure waves. But that's just a guess.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Cloth ballistic vest alters response to blast.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3339678?dopt=Citation

Ballistic wounds have been and will remain the principal cause of casualties in combat. Cloth ballistic vests (CBV) play an important role in limiting critical wounds from fragments and small-arms fire. There is an increased risk of primary blast injury on the modern battlefield. In a previous study, volunteers were exposed to short-duration blast waves of low peak pressure (18.6 +/- 0.8 kPa). Pressure measurements made in the distal esophagus as an estimate of intrathoracic pressure (ITP) were significantly higher (p less than 0.05) when the standard U.S. Army ballistic jacket was worn (8.7 +/- 1.2 kPa) than when fatigues alone were worn (7.4 +/- 0.7 kPa). In this study 58 sheep were exposed to nominal blast levels of 115, 230, 295, and 420 kPa peak pressure in groups of 12, 18, 16, and 12, respectively. Half of each group was fitted with a CBV. Lung weight index (LWI), lung weight expressed as a percentage of body weight, was used as a measure of blast injury. Use of the CBV was associated with a significant increase in LWI (p less than 0.05) which averaged 21% for the two middle exposure groups. At the 420 kPa level, two of six non-CBV animals died as opposed to five of six animals wearing the CBV. Intrathoracic pressure was generally higher in the CBV group. Likely mechanisms of injury enhancement include an increase in target surface area and an alteration of the effective loading function on the thorax. This information may be useful in the triage and treatment of casualties exposed to intense blast environments.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Them poor fuckin' sheep. :smith:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Action Jacktion posted:

NSA director modeled war room after Star Trek's Enterprise

It's actually called the "Information Dominance Center."

Toffile posted:

I've seen worse control/conference room setups. Except for space grill.

Yah this pretty much owns.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 15, 2013

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Commander Spack; set phasers to civil liberties.

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008
What the gently caress would the director even look at? I can't imagine it's like the 'hacking' in movies with 3d virtual buildings and poo poo.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Baloogan posted:

Cloth ballistic vest alters response to blast.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3339678?dopt=Citation

Ballistic wounds have been and will remain the principal cause of casualties in combat. Cloth ballistic vests (CBV) play an important role in limiting critical wounds from fragments and small-arms fire. There is an increased risk of primary blast injury on the modern battlefield. In a previous study, volunteers were exposed to short-duration blast waves of low peak pressure (18.6 +/- 0.8 kPa). Pressure measurements made in the distal esophagus as an estimate of intrathoracic pressure (ITP) were significantly higher (p less than 0.05) when the standard U.S. Army ballistic jacket was worn (8.7 +/- 1.2 kPa) than when fatigues alone were worn (7.4 +/- 0.7 kPa). In this study 58 sheep were exposed to nominal blast levels of 115, 230, 295, and 420 kPa peak pressure in groups of 12, 18, 16, and 12, respectively. Half of each group was fitted with a CBV. Lung weight index (LWI), lung weight expressed as a percentage of body weight, was used as a measure of blast injury. Use of the CBV was associated with a significant increase in LWI (p less than 0.05) which averaged 21% for the two middle exposure groups. At the 420 kPa level, two of six non-CBV animals died as opposed to five of six animals wearing the CBV. Intrathoracic pressure was generally higher in the CBV group. Likely mechanisms of injury enhancement include an increase in target surface area and an alteration of the effective loading function on the thorax. This information may be useful in the triage and treatment of casualties exposed to intense blast environments.

That uses words I don't understand.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

JSARSOM posted:

What the gently caress would the director even look at? I can't imagine it's like the 'hacking' in movies with 3d virtual buildings and poo poo.

http://hackertyper.net/

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Everyone to the evil triangle table. We need to discuss emails.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

JSARSOM posted:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Kinda wanna see that photoshoped into that picture now.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

That uses words I don't understand.

The vests squeeze you like you're popping a blood balloon.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
So thats what happens when you give a bunch of nerds unlimited funds.

In the 60s it got us to the moon!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Every corporate control center and meeting room I've ever seen, the higher the original building budget, the closer it looked to pretty much those pics. Well, with LCDs and plasmas instead of sunken CRTs, at least.

And the exception of the heavily bolstered commander's chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Snowdens Secret posted:

Every corporate control center and meeting room I've ever seen, the higher the original building budget, the closer it looked to pretty much those pics. Well, with LCDs and plasmas instead of sunken CRTs, at least.

And the exception of the heavily bolstered commander's chair.
Yeah, except for the styling, it looks pretty standard for any high-level command and control center. You're going to see something just like that (except less obviously Star Trekish) just about anywhere information is condensed and decisions are made.

• Locked thread