Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Imapanda posted:

How is it legal to wake up at 4am every day just to earn 8 bucks an hour for 12 hours a day.
This is like modern Serfdom. :negative:

Does anybody else have to wake up as early as I do? I need know that I'm not the only miserable one.

If you don't like those hours, there are usually plenty of night shift openings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I used to work 3a or 4a shifts. Unfortunately those were only 4 to 6 hour shifts, which ultimately pushed me to find another position with more hours. However, coming in that early was so great. I would never have left that position if I was at least getting closer to 40 hours. Unless there's no guarantee for raises in your position, stick with it. It doesn't get better than what you have in retail. I can't tell you how many people wish they were in your shoes.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

ijii posted:

I used to work 3a or 4a shifts. Unfortunately those were only 4 to 6 hour shifts, which ultimately pushed me to find another position with more hours. However, coming in that early was so great. I would never have left that position if I was at least getting closer to 40 hours. Unless there's no guarantee for raises in your position, stick with it. It doesn't get better than what you have in retail. I can't tell you how many people wish they were in your shoes.

My store opens at 6am. A little later, but working the morning shift is better because 90% of the people between 6 and 12 are contractors getting supplies. They know what they're getting, and if they don't, they don't act like a smug prick when you answer their questions.

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

I have discussed work gaps with people. The economy is so bad now that work gaps do not preclude people from being interviewed/hired. It is, honestly, the attitude of the hiring manager. I have spoken and know many who will, with 100% certainty, not read anything under a retail heading unless the position is retail. You are free to mention that you held "non applicable roles in this timeframe" or other such breakdowns. But the days of elaborating every job are gone. I don't give a poo poo about your time at burger king for 3 years between your two jobs at boeing when you are interviewing at lockheed martin, ya'know? You may as well leave that garbage off the resume.

My only problem is pretty much every position I've held since graduating 5 years ago would fall into "non-applicable roles in this timeframe".

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Imapanda posted:

How is it legal to wake up at 4am every day just to earn 8 bucks an hour for 12 hours a day.
This is like modern Serfdom. :negative:

Does anybody else have to wake up as early as I do? I need know that I'm not the only miserable one.

Yes I do, because of inventory reasons. I have to wake up at 4am to go there and do gently caress all for an hour until the computers will work so I can count some items that we counted the last night. Management was very surprised when I asked if we had gnomes, what else can steal pills when no one else is in the store during closed time?

Corkscrew
May 20, 2001

Nothing happened. I'm Julius Pepperwood. Let it go.

YF19pilot posted:

My store opens at 6am. A little later, but working the morning shift is better because 90% of the people between 6 and 12 are contractors getting supplies. They know what they're getting, and if they don't, they don't act like a smug prick when you answer their questions.

I dunno man, I work at the same type store and some of the contractors are way worse than any DIY customer could ever be. Smug, entitled, in the world's biggest hurry... just the prototype for rear end in a top hat customer.

Pricks come in all shapes and sizes. You just have to be nicer to the big fish because they spend more money.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Corkscrew posted:

I dunno man, I work at the same type store and some of the contractors are way worse than any DIY customer could ever be. Smug, entitled, in the world's biggest hurry... just the prototype for rear end in a top hat customer.

Pricks come in all shapes and sizes. You just have to be nicer to the big fish because they spend more money.

Yeah, I do hate the assholes who start conversations with "I spend :10bux: $500,000 :10bux: a year at your store." (It's always $500,000, never more or less). May just be that I usually don't work that end of the store, so I deal with a higher raw number of DIYers so that's where 90% of my exposure to rear end in a top hat comes from.

Edit: Should probably point out since moving to my new department, pretty much the only contractors I've had contact with are those our company hires to do installs. Those guys seemed pretty cool anyways.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 16, 2013

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

YF19pilot posted:

Yeah, I do hate the assholes who start conversations with "I spend :10bux: $500,000 :10bux: a year at your store." (It's always $500,000, never more or less). May just be that I usually don't work that end of the store, so I deal with a higher raw number of DIYers so that's where 90% of my exposure to rear end in a top hat comes from.

I deal with the whole "I've been a customer for this long and blah blah." For better or worse, at this point the companies either don't care because for every customer leaving they have an angry customer from the competition, or that statement has been given as an excuse to get a credit for years now, and they're calling the bluff.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Duckman2008 posted:

I deal with the whole "I've been a customer for this long and blah blah." For better or worse, at this point the companies either don't care because for every customer leaving they have an angry customer from the competition, or that statement has been given as an excuse to get a credit for years now, and they're calling the bluff.

Eh, for me it was usually when I was working returns. "What do you mean I can't return something I bought for my company two years ago? I spend 500,000 a year at your store! Why should I have to pay for it if I gave you the wrong measurements for a specialty order item? What do you mean custom tinted paint is not returnable? Of course I bought this at (competitor), why can't you take it back?" Of course, it's the same stupid arguments every other DIYer makes, just with the "I do $$$ of business with your store," thrown in for good measure.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Only having water breaks in the back is fine if you work in a place that will regularly give you breaks and opportunities to go to the back. The last place I worked gave me a lunch break and that was it for an 8 hour shift. I did have the ability to page other people to cover me for stuff like bathroom breaks in the meantime, but this kind of breaks down when you're coworkers aren't willing to help and purposely ignore pages.

Well I never had a place specify a certain amount of experience necessary but most places would look over my resume and just be like "Well it looks like you don't have all that much office experience" for basic grunt office jobs even though I spent almost 5 years in an office doing the usual basic stuff like filing, copies, data entry etc. etc. Probably what I get for going through temp services, which is how most offices seem to hire in my area.

No matter though, I have a non-retail job in the works now if I can ever get through the red tape of a government background check.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Duckman2008 posted:

It could be worse. One customer mailed my store a long, long anonymous letter detailing why they is never shopping with us again.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

CaptainJuan posted:

Yeah you're kind of a piece of poo poo. that said if you actually follow through on "Fine, go in the back and drink it." on a busy day when lines are long and tempers are flaring, i'm... impressed? i guess?

hello clarice posted:

Backpedal all you want, you're still the problem and not the solution. You are the reason why retail sucks.

I'd take a 30 second walk to the back for a water break in a small store retail environment over the BS LOTR journey I've had to deal in a big box store.

I bet it wouldn't involve dumpster diving for soiled diapers and moldy furniture. In work clothes. Then back on the floor again.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Inudeku posted:

Believe it or not, denying bathroom breaks and water breaks/water while working are not illegal. As long as you have it available when not on the floor or register, perfectly legal for them to tell you to go gently caress yourself.

Fun, right?

The OSHA standards on bathrooms is my favorite. They require that all workplaces over certain criteria have bathrooms, but there is no law or regulation that says that the employee has to be allowed to use them. It's a big gap is federal work regulations with no case law.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

stab posted:

yeah I should have clarified, even if there was a thousand customers in the store, if you needed it and weren't abusing, I would let you do it.

and the logic we were forced to use about spills is because it already happened. TWICE. (re water damaged computers). and fwiw's, once was with a sports bottle (hurrr i didnt screw the cap on tight enough sowwwieeeeeee) :(

guys, I debate highly the "human rights" element. You are given breaks in order to do those types of things like water, go pee, eat, whatever. And if you really needed it, I would give you the flexibility to do it as well!

Now if you work in an environment that you can't get that done, then I agree with you in that it sucks, but I stand firm on my no water in the front policy! :)

wow, a red text, for that????? thanks rear end in a top hat, I had my avatar for years :(, who's the piece of poo poo now :(

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

You. You're the piece of poo poo. If you were a manager in my company you'd be shown the door before the union got a chance to eviscerate you. You think you have the right to decide if someone 'really needs' a drink break? Being forced to go several hours without water, in a work environment that often requires continual conversation is totally unacceptable. I'm lucky enough to work somewhere where I can guarantee that the longest I'd ever have to go without a break is 3 hours, and I still drain a 600ml bottle of water between each break. I'd be dizzy and on the verge of passing out if I had to go a couple of hours without water.

Twice now, in a post, you've put the words Human Rights in air quotes. Are you really such a colossal imbecile that you fail to grasp just what that shows about your regard for the rights of other people?

stab posted:

I'll back off here in order to avoid this awesome thread being derailed over something like this, but I REALLY wished you'd have tried to look at what I was trying to say before donating to Lowtax :(

gently caress you.

What you were trying to say was very clear, and now you get to have a nice reminder of it every time you post. No need to thank me, it was my pleasure.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

You. You're the piece of poo poo. If you were a manager in my company you'd be shown the door before the union got a chance to eviscerate you. You think you have the right to decide if someone 'really needs' a drink break? Being forced to go several hours without water, in a work environment that often requires continual conversation is totally unacceptable. I'm lucky enough to work somewhere where I can guarantee that the longest I'd ever have to go without a break is 3 hours, and I still drain a 600ml bottle of water between each break. I'd be dizzy and on the verge of passing out if I had to go a couple of hours without water.

Twice now, in a post, you've put the words Human Rights in air quotes. Are you really such a colossal imbecile that you fail to grasp just what that shows about your regard for the rights of other people?

gently caress you.

What you were trying to say was very clear, and now you get to have a nice reminder of it every time you post. No need to thank me, it was my pleasure.

I think we've all had disagreements with you sometimes, Bude, but I'm totally with you right now. :allears:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

waffle iron posted:

The OSHA standards on bathrooms is my favorite. They require that all workplaces over certain criteria have bathrooms, but there is no law or regulation that says that the employee has to be allowed to use them. It's a big gap is federal work regulations with no case law.

I complained about it a lot previously in the thread, but half the time my store didn't even have functional bathrooms. They were so crappy they broke constantly and it was always "The pipes are bad, but it's too expensive to replace them. :qq: " Of course there's no telling how many thousands they spent in calling the plumber out to fix them every few months (last time the guy was there for like 5 hours working).

Didn't help that we were smack in the middle of a shopping center with a buffet, Burger King and Taco Bell. So that bathroom got hosed up a LOT. :stonk:

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
So what do you do with a college kid that has no experience to put down outside of retail?
Make up jobs that fit what you want?
It's like being so demanding about people who are actually trying to make themselves marketable to you is almost laughable.

And everything HR managers say become so rear end-backwards that you can never listen to more then your favorite.

"Make your resume short and too the point, my job is to read a lot of resumes, I don't like them."
"Elaborate on skills and experience to give the best idea and make yourself fit the job, I don't like when people don't express what they've done"
"Specify what you have done be detailed, People skim over their details too often"
"Make what you have done simple and use keywords to specify, don't use too many unneccesary details, Im just going to put it in a scanner anyway"

And then to top all that off don't bother with a cover letter?

You are essentially saying just fluff the resume up by making the skills section longer and remove the actual work experience some people have?
Aka make it look like they have no work experience and become disqualified for ANOTHER reason?

My main point is I understand retail positions aren't a deep well of skills but just entirely deleting parts of someones job experience so we hope you in paricular don't disqualify our resume is kinda self-centered, don't you think?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

I used to review applications with my boss at my old job, and it's part of my job now to review contractor qualifications for our department. Here's how it works:

HR forwards me 150 applications to a position based on whatever arcane criteria / moon-phase diagrams they're using. I have to review all applications per SOP. I have a full workday of real work, too. One of these applicants will fit the role I'm looking for. What am I looking for? The job listing told you that. It told you I was looking for a Widget Worker with 5-7 years experience. I really wanted 1-3 and would settle for 'Knows What Widget Is and Has a Brain', but HR put 5-7 in for no readily apparent reason.

Now starts the pile of resumes. At 60 sec per resume, I'm looking at 2.5 hours of work just to read this poo poo. You have literally 60 seconds to tell me that you are a fit for the position. I cannot spend more than 60 seconds on your resume because I have all my other work to do, and 150 more resumes will pile onto my desk tomorrow so there's no way I'm letting there be a backlog on this poo poo.

If you don't let me know you're a fit in 60 seconds, I'm not wasting my time. There are 149 other people in that pile and one of them will fit the bill. If none of you fit it, someone will tomorrow in Pile #2.

This is why you open your resume with a Summary of Qualifications, not a statement of intent or any of that bullshit they tell you in resume workshops at college. Who are you? You're a JOB TITLE with NUMBER OF YEARS experience doing THINGS ON THE JOB DESCRIPTION, specializing in KEY POINTS FROM THE JOB DESCRIPTION. Congratulations, I've moved you to round two right there. I will now read your entire resume and not throw it out because I know you fit the role. Next, I'm going to see how well you fit it compared to whoever else doesn't get weeded out in the pile. Now's the part where the rest of your resume actually matters.

quote:

So what do you do with a college kid that has no experience to put down outside of retail?
Make up jobs that fit what you want?

In lieu of relevant work or internships, even relevant academic stuff is better than irrelevant retail stuff. Example: I will pay more attention to a resume where you've detailed major academic projects relevant to the job description than a resume where you list Nordstroms as your main accomplishment. You can work this stuff into your summary statement as well - four years of collegiate academic projects focused on applying (things from description). If you have literally nothing else relevant, retail is better than nothing. Seriously though, do everything in your power not to put unrelated low-skill work on your resume. Put projects from school, internships, vaguely-related skilled labor you did for your buddy's company during the summer, anything. Just not retail unless you've applied to another retail position or a retail management position [I guess?]. I'm not saying retail isn't hard -- it's hard as loving hell to deal with dipshit customers -- but the general opinion of it at hiring level is 'unskilled' whether it's true or not.

quote:

It's like being so demanding about people who are actually trying to make themselves marketable to you is almost laughable.

And then to top all that off don't bother with a cover letter?

First: Unless you are a high-demand, low-availability skilled worker, this is sadly true for almost everyone. The employer holds all the cards in the USA.
Second: Rhonyn is right. Unless the job description explicitly requests a cover letter or you know for 100% certain that cover letters are expected for an employer or field, don't waste your time. Nobody reads them. If you do plan on using one, tailor it to the job post because the only thing worse than a bad resume is a general-purpose cover letter.

quote:

You are essentially saying just fluff the resume up by making the skills section longer and remove the actual work experience some people have?
Aka make it look like they have no work experience and become disqualified for ANOTHER reason?

My main point is I understand retail positions aren't a deep well of skills but just entirely deleting parts of someones job experience so we hope you in paricular don't disqualify our resume is kinda self-centered, don't you think?

There's a fine line between fluff and lie, and every other resume in the pile is trying to get as close to the edge as they can. Why shouldn't you? The skills section really is more important, though. Tell me how your skills relate to the job you're applying for.

Remember: 149 other applicants in that pile. It's not nice, but it's how things are right now.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
If you want to jump from retail to office work (which I did), check out temp agencies. Volunteer somewhere on the side that will let you do office duties. What the HR person up there posted (and Sundae) isn't nice, but its pretty much true. Omit jobs that aren't relevant and expand on that when they ask in the interview. Don't send things you're not asked to send.

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 16, 2013

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ding ding ding! Employee-referred resumes at my company automatically move through the initial screening process. Just like practically everything else in life, networking is the answer.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Absolutely. This is the best way, hands down. Get a referral from an employee who's already there and magic can happen. (Also - don't gently caress over the guy who referred you. Depending on the company, his reputation may be riding on you being a decent hire.)

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
The trick is knowing the right person. I know plenty of people in plenty of companies that I'd actually like to work for. Not a single drat one of them will do anything outside of letting me know if a position is open to apply for online. Every time I get an ace up my sleeve it turns out to be a joker.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Hard to do when my only lead in won't even give me the name of the hiring manager despite "we hang out all the time". I suppose that's what LinkedIn is for, but that always seems like a mess to try and navigate.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
HR is there to filter you out instead of hiring you so yeah knowing the hiring manager or someone who knows them is much better than dealing with HR.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

ladyweapon posted:

If you want to jump from retail to office work (which I did), check out temp agencies. Volunteer somewhere on the side that will let you do office duties. What the HR person up there posted (and Sundae) isn't nice, but its pretty much true. Omit jobs that aren't relevant and expand on that when they ask in the interview. Don't send things you're not asked to send.

That's how I managed to get out of retail! I moved to a big city, got in with a temp agency, and now I work at a call center. It still pretty much sucks but I make twice what I made in retail and can (barely) afford to live now!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
My store just sent out coupons for x amount off a y purchase in the mail all over town and the surrounding areas. They are effective the 19th. I work tomorrow, the 18th, and I can guaran-loving-tee that I'll have no less than 3 people get all pissy with me because they can't use their goddamn coupon because they were too lazy and/or stupid to read the clearly printed valid dates on the bottom of the coupon.

I hate my life. :suicide:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Retail Slave posted:

My store just sent out coupons for x amount off a y purchase in the mail all over town and the surrounding areas. They are effective the 19th. I work tomorrow, the 18th, and I can guaran-loving-tee that I'll have no less than 3 people get all pissy with me because they can't use their goddamn coupon because they were too lazy and/or stupid to read the clearly printed valid dates on the bottom of the coupon.

Aww come on, it's only one day off can't you just punch it in and make it work? :rolleye:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Retail Slave posted:

I deal with this poo poo all the time because my store is one of the ones that sends out those weekly fliers in the mail and local newspapers. So naturally people come in a day or two early and sit and argue with me about it. Had one woman smart off to me about how I didn't know how to read my own store's fliers or some bullshit.

Oh, and the "Buy a new grill, get the propane free (but you still have to pay for the propane tank)" sales.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Yeah at my store, the sales would end around Thursday or Friday night and the new ones wouldn't start up again until Sunday. So I'd always have to deal with pissed off people who weren't getting the sale price on something and usually I'd just get a manager to change it.

Also fun was the fact that my coworkers were bad about pulling down the old sales signs, so inevitably every week I'd get someone bitching "But the sign said! :words: " and I'd have to go through a whole mess of trying to track someone down to check it/change the price.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Corkscrew
May 20, 2001

Nothing happened. I'm Julius Pepperwood. Let it go.
Yeah, I run into that now and again where people find an old price tag. Our MET is usually pretty good about updating prices but when an item is in six locations and two of them aren't in the system because someone was lazy last time we did a reset, poo poo happens. Unless we're talking like $20 or more, I usually say screw it and let them have it without a fuss. Better than losing a customer over $5.

The best is people who come in and try to price match clearance items at our other local stores. "Well, I went to the <my store> 5 miles away and they have this patio set for $50 cheaper!" Guess you should have bought it there, then!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Well we had a policy that if the sign was left up, we had to honor the price whether or not it was an expired sale because it was our mistake or something like that. And I would have to track someone down anyway because as a cashier I couldn't do any kind of overrides or price changes myself.

The only time we'd get really strict about rules was when the sign was obviously for one thing and someone brought up something completely different. Like if there was a sale on t-shirts but the person would always bring up some pants or something and expect to get that sale price because they were on the same rack and apparently they didn't bother to read, you know, the WORDS on the sign instead of just the numbers.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Kimmalah posted:

The only time we'd get really strict about rules was when the sign was obviously for one thing and someone brought up something completely different. Like if there was a sale on t-shirts but the person would always bring up some pants or something and expect to get that sale price because they were on the same rack and apparently they didn't bother to read, you know, the WORDS on the sign instead of just the numbers.

This is basically how we handle it. If the sign is for that product, even if it's wrong, customer gets that price. If the sign is for something else, then no. Or if the customer wants to be a dick because we have "contractor pricing" if you buy some items in bulk, then they can sit and spin.

Though fun story related to this, last week I was running the cash registers, we had advertised in our weekly flier Brand Name mulch 3 for $12. The signs that corporate sent us to hang? 3 for $10, which is the price for the Knock Off El Cheepo brand mulch.

Lord Booga
Sep 23, 2007
Huh?
Grimey Drawer
Strangely enough, nobody gets upset when the tag price is HIGHER than the till price...

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
At the end of the night when everyone had to put away all the misplaced/unwanted merch, the managers always said that if they caught anyone "hiding" the restock, they would be written up. People would still stick stuff behind other merch anyway because everyone just wanted to go home for the night. The managers were never very vigilant about this and it caused so many fun problems at the registers.
"But this doll was on a shelf that said $9.99!"
"Ma'am...this shelf tag says Pony Figure (or whatever the case was)"
"IT WAS ON THIS SHELF I WANT IT FOR THAT PRICE."

If there was more than one, then we would honor it typically as long as the amount wasn't too much, because it may have been a stocking error or whatever. But if it was the only one we'd claim a customer must have set it there and it wasn't the store's fault. Typically the customer accepted this.

I tried not to hide restock, but some nights after customers decided to try and spend the night in the store and kids were particularly destructive, it was inevitable. We could have 3 or 4 carts worth if it was a particularly busy night. As a general rule, if I was going to hide restock, I'd make sure to put it on a shelf where the correct merch was MORE EXPENSIVE than the item I was ditching. That way, as Lord Booga said, nobody ever complained about it because the item would be cheaper than they thought.

And if any of my past managers are reading this: I'm sorry but not really. It was worth it.

Buggiezor fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 18, 2013

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Corkscrew posted:

Yeah, I run into that now and again where people find an old price tag. Our MET is usually pretty good about updating prices but when an item is in six locations and two of them aren't in the system because someone was lazy last time we did a reset, poo poo happens. Unless we're talking like $20 or more, I usually say screw it and let them have it without a fuss. Better than losing a customer over $5.

The best is people who come in and try to price match clearance items at our other local stores. "Well, I went to the <my store> 5 miles away and they have this patio set for $50 cheaper!" Guess you should have bought it there, then!

Over here most retailers are signatories to a code of conduct which requires us to give the customer the product for free (unless it costs over $50, or is a tobacco product) if the price at the register is different from the price on a ticket or in a brochure/advertisement. Old tickets that have been left up are the primary trigger for this (despite having a date on them it still counts) and I deal with several each day.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I don't think it's a law or anything but store policy, but the place I work does a similar thing. If an item is priced incorrectly they get it free. If they bought more than one of the same item, they only get one of them free.

Speaking of pricing errors, I've had some interesting encounters with people who apparently can't comprehend signs past these 'numbers are higher therefore it is better'. I had a few customers come up to my register and inform me that the item they're buying had two tags (presumably one was over but not covering the old, permanent tag) and they want the 10 for $10 ($1 each) price. The other, more recent tag? 4 for $3.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin
A lady came in last night with some items for return that she had bought for a bridal shower. And used them. They were missing any and all packaging and were clearly used for their intended purposes. A set of cheap little bowls (clear plastic, faux crystal cut) were actually damaged. She told me she used them for lemon slices and the lemon discolored the bottom of the bowls. This wasn't why she was returning them. She was returning them because they had served their purpose and she no longer had a use for them. Of course we had to take her items back. She got all of her money back, including tax. So she didn't even pay a rental fee or anything. She brought back almost every item she had bought for her own daughter's bridal shower. I can't really express whythis pissed me off so bad, but it really did. Who does that? We have it happen all the time. People buy and use items and then bring them back because all they really wanted to do was rent them, but without having to pay a rental fee. :argh:

And I am totally using that trick about giving the old sale sign price in exchange for said sign. That's brilliant and I feel so dumb for not thinking of it myself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Sankis posted:

I don't think it's a law or anything but store policy, but the place I work does a similar thing. If an item is priced incorrectly they get it free. If they bought more than one of the same item, they only get one of them free.

Most places at least honor an incorrect price out of good practices, and because the person pointing it out might also be that person who threatens to go to the BBB, AG, etc. (as an aside at a call center had a lady threaten to go to Fmr. Pres. Bush (41)'s former law practice to complain directly to him or something. Told her to say 'hi' to him for me.)

ThreeFish posted:

"Renting" crap you really should just buy.

Not sure about the other DIY goons, but we get this crap all the time where I work. DIYers will buy an expensive specialty tool, like a tile saw or miter, use it for a week, then turn around and return it because they were done with it. Corporate tries to nip this in the bud by shortening the return period on stuff like power tools, but either they'll come in just in time or get the "right" manager who will just fold like a wet noodle most of the time. Not that we really enforce those rules...