Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Dyz posted:

Breakdown (Xbox)

-If you survive the shooting section at the beginning of the game it gets better (this can be arguable).

There's no argument, the game is an uphill battle to amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
Silversword for iOS. I'm mainly interested in classes/races that have interesting effects, or classes that end up being worthless later in the game. Anything related to starting out (i.e. no spoilers except where mechanics are concerned) is fine though.

Should I just make 7 characters, or do I need to save slots for NPCs/monsters like in the old DOS Bard's Tale?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

FutureCop posted:

I feel like I might've posted this somewhere already, but whatever:

I, like you, was a very exploratory person, and this came back to bite me in the rear end near the end of the game where I had one more 'outside' portion to go through but I only had one filter (partially my fault, I had plenty of money but kept saving it instead of buying filters. So make sure you buy a bunch). Even if I ran like an olympic athlete straight through the level I would die due to the filter going out.
Just to reiterate, the game only allows you to buy 40 minutes worth of filters (after that it takes your money but doesn't give you additional filters :argh: ) at Market Station, less than 1/3 of the way through the game. You won't be able to buy any more filters afterwards, nor will you be able to scavenge any filters until the time you have left drops below 20 minutes.

So to summarize, never buy filters ever. Scavenging properly should have your filter supply constantly somewhere between 10 and 20 minute mark.

Taking off your gas mask does prolong the filter life (I believe 30 seconds is the cutoff point) but you could be screwed if you encounter a hostile with the mask off, so I'd only recommend doing so when backtracking (or following someone, in which case you'll generally have a warning before anything pops up)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

PitFiend posted:

Anyone have any advice for Shin Megami Tensei? As in, the two SNES originals? I tried to play through SMT1 once, but I got stuck in the weird place after Thor's Hammer because the encounters were just too hard. Should I use a guide for certain things (like, say, fusing monsters) or just try stuff out for myself?

Quite the coincidence, been playing them quite recently myself. I've only finished the first one so far so this stuff mostly applies to that game:

Don't worry about Strength on the progatonist too much early on, guns are almost universally better than melee weapons at that point. Stamina is most likely a better investment and make sure to have some Intelligence for monster negotiation as well. Luck is surprisingly handy but you get a ton of free Incenses for it during the game. You don't want to completely neglect it though since the best weapons are, of course, swords.

Using a guide for monster fusion probably isn't necessary except for sword fusions. However it might be a good idea nevertheless, there's often a lot of stuff that isn't really explained well such as what alignment, gems and spells do or where you're supposed to go next alongside a couple of potentially gamebreaking bugs due to the fact that the translation was made on the 1.0 version of the game instead of 1.1 which they discovered too late.

Best advice is to abuse stuff like Charm and Paralyze as much as you can, creatures with one of the two combined with a high Magic Effect stat make life a lot easier (this also makes Magic Shells/Randi Shots the best bullets in the game since they inflict Charm). The Heroine also has the Zio line of spells which stun the enemy for the turn and it works on very nearly everything including bosses, very handy as long as you get your turn before them.

Watch your inventory space, you probably won't need more than one stack of Magic Stones and Orbs. From the top of my head Core Shields (damage floor immunity), Hiranyas (recover some hp/mp, only from stores), Somas (full recovery) and Dis-Paralyzes (cure paralyze) are some of the more valuable consumables. A bug may also add some bogus items into your inventory which is a pain in the rear end but mostly a non-issue as long as you get rid of everything unnecessary.

Have at least one way to cure each status ailment. Relying on one character to cure everyone with Penpatora is great until they get paralyzed and suddenly you can't do anything anymore because you never got any items to remove it with.

Autocombat is great but be careful with it, should you accidentally use it in a fight against enemies that reflect physical attacks it's a guaranteed game over. On the other hand if you can find monsters that can cast physical or magical reflect (Tetrakarn or Makarakarn) and enough speed to act before enemies, they're a very handy way to neutralize many threats.

Purely from a gameplay perspective, Neutral alignment gives you the most boss battles (and thus experience) and allows you to use practically all demons in the game.

Tarukaja (group attack power up) and Rakunda (enemy defense down) are a great way to speed up battles against though enemies, they increase damage quite drastically and they stack as well. They might overflow if you cast them a ton of times in a single fight but enemies rarely survive for that long.

The Mapper spell is really handy but remember that it doesn't work during New Moon. Mahanma is an instant kill on a lot of things but it requires having a decent Magic Effect stat to be at all reliable. Rimudora is cheap and deals very good damage against all enemies, just don't confuse it with Recarmdora which kills the caster to heal others. Toraport teleports you to where you previously saved your game, so do that occasionally even if you use save states.

Oh, and lastly if you get too annoyed at things like the map requiring going through menus and auto-rotating on top of that, SMT 2 fixed and improved on a lot of those issues. In general it's quite similar to SMT1 but more polished. You can always read the LP for the story.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 11, 2013

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I will be starting Forza 3 soon, and I haven't played a racing sim since Gran Turismo 3 on the PS2. What should I know? Looking for information on events to complete ASAP or cars/upgrades that are worthless.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006

Centipeed posted:

I just installed SolForge, since it's free to play on Steam.

It's a collectible card game, so I don't expect there to be a lot of tips for this one, but are there any hints you guys can give me that'll make me a better player?

I can beat the CPU on Easy well enough, but I bumped it up to Medium and I don't do so well.

I'm basically entirely new to CCGs, which is why I'm asking for help.

I'd like to second that SolForge kinda sucks, I've been playing a lot of Card Hunters recently which is sort of D&D meets card games. It's free to play and I think they just opened up registration to the public too. You can drop some money on random chests of cards, but it doesn't get you anything you couldn't get playing the game normally.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Xander77 posted:

Just to reiterate, the game only allows you to buy 40 minutes worth of filters (after that it takes your money but doesn't give you additional filters :argh: ) at Market Station, less than 1/3 of the way through the game. You won't be able to buy any more filters afterwards, nor will you be able to scavenge any filters until the time you have left drops below 20 minutes.

So to summarize, never buy filters ever. Scavenging properly should have your filter supply constantly somewhere between 10 and 20 minute mark.

Taking off your gas mask does prolong the filter life (I believe 30 seconds is the cutoff point) but you could be screwed if you encounter a hostile with the mask off, so I'd only recommend doing so when backtracking (or following someone, in which case you'll generally have a warning before anything pops up)

I don't think taking off the mask prolongs filter life, it just automatically changes to the next filter if you're low.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

RatHat posted:

I don't think taking off the mask prolongs filter life, it just automatically changes to the next filter if you're low.
It does indirectly, in that while the mask is off, you're not making the filter go down.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Centipeed posted:

I just installed SolForge, since it's free to play on Steam.
As someone who doesn't randomly detest the game, I'd recommend you swing by the thread and ask there.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anything for Penumbra: Overture?

EDIT: or Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Sep 13, 2013

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I just started playing Far Cry 3. Please tell me there are mods out there to save during missions / in different slots and to cancel all looting / skinning animations?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 12, 2013

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Any tips for Skate 3? I seem to be really bad at racking up the points.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Anything for Europa Universalis 4? I know there's a thread dedicated to it but it's so big, and I feel like a jerk asking newbie questions that must have been asked a thousand times before.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
So I know there is some stuff for Tales Of Xillia on the wiki, but because this is a tales game, and I got burned by Vesperia before, how missable are the sidequests?

To contribute, have something for Mario and Luigi: Dream Team
Around halfwayish through the game, there will be a mini-cutscene where the game introduces the Gold beanie, a rare monster that drops tons of coins and xp, and some rare items. The game will make a point to say that these are really hard to find, but I found plenty of them just proceeding along in the game like normal, without any backtracking. One thing to note about these enemies is that they only seem to run away if you mess up on a counterattack. As long as you counter them and they are lying on their backs, they don't seem to try to escape. In addition, you can save as soon as you see one, and then just reset your game if they run away to refight them.

In the last giant Luigi fight of the game, there will be a part near the end of the battle where you and the boss will be fighting each other like spinning tops. This part controls with the 3ds motion sensor thing. Hold your 3ds completely level before it starts, otherwise you might veer off uncontrollably regardless of where you tilt it. In addition, you can use the home screen to pause to readjust.

JaggerMcDagger fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 14, 2013

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

JaggerMcDagger posted:

So I know there is some stuff for Tales Of Xillia on the wiki, but because this is a tales game, and I got burned by Vesperia before, how missable are the sidequests?

Finding sidequests in Tales of Xillia relies on you noticing that an NPC has a certain type of speech bubble over their heads, and the speech bubbles are quite blurry and hard to make out from a distance because of the the way the graphics engine works.

Or in other words, sidequests are VERY missable. I think some of the more major ones are started by forced cutscenes (Devil Arms was like this, I seem to recall).

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Centipeed posted:

Finding sidequests in Tales of Xillia relies on you noticing that an NPC has a certain type of speech bubble over their heads, and the speech bubbles are quite blurry and hard to make out from a distance because of the the way the graphics engine works.

Or in other words, sidequests are VERY missable. I think some of the more major ones are started by forced cutscenes (Devil Arms was like this, I seem to recall).

So talk to everyone repeatedly throughout the story? Just keep going back to places occasionally?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Centipeed posted:

That said, you will constantly get skits saying "Hey we should go back to this place" which is the game's way of telling you "Hey dumbass, you can advance a sidequest now." It doesn't always help in finding them in the first place, but it's a hell of a lot better than the Abyss/Vesperia era.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Artix posted:

That said, you will constantly get skits saying "Hey we should go back to this place" which is the game's way of telling you "Hey dumbass, you can advance a sidequest now." It doesn't always help in finding them in the first place, but it's a hell of a lot better than the Abyss/Vesperia era.

Usually when a skit mentions a place and that maybe the characters should go back, there's a side-quest specific to that skit that can be started, or a special cut-scene that is otherwise missable, at that place.

I didn't know they also happened for in-progress sidequests?

Either way, I suspect it'd be very hard to naturally discover and continue all of the sidequests without a guide, so that's probably the best approach.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I bought the X3 pack on steam (terran conflict and albion prelude I believe is the two things.) I'm reading the thread and guess I'll figure out the script stuff eventually, but is there anything I should know/know to do? I've never played one of these games, so feel free to treat me like a small child.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Centipeed posted:

Either way, I suspect it'd be very hard to naturally discover and continue all of the sidequests without a guide, so that's probably the best approach.

I played through the entire game without a guide and only missed a few sidequests that had a time limit. It's very easy to locate sidequests.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Synnr posted:

I bought the X3 pack on steam (terran conflict and albion prelude I believe is the two things.) I'm reading the thread and guess I'll figure out the script stuff eventually, but is there anything I should know/know to do? I've never played one of these games, so feel free to treat me like a small child.

I was really turned off by this game (enough that I uninstalled it in disgust but I'm probably in the minority) but you're going to want to abuse the poo poo out of the time multiplier button as otherwise getting anywhere is a huge pain in the rear end.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

I played through the entire game without a guide and only missed a few sidequests that had a time limit. It's very easy to locate sidequests.

Ah, OK! I'm still not done with the game (About half way through), so I wasn't sure. I suppose if you're making sure to hunt for green speech bubbles in each new area you hardly miss any?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Centipeed posted:

Ah, OK! I'm still not done with the game (About half way through), so I wasn't sure. I suppose if you're making sure to hunt for green speech bubbles in each new area you hardly miss any?

Pretty much, plus you should revisit towns after most story events.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Okay, so I just picked up the original Deus Ex (because it's currently like $3 at GOG), played through the tutorial and the first mission and I'm having a blast tranqing terrorists and then throwing their unconscious bodies off of buildings, but I had a couple of questions that aren't covered in the wiki:

-During the first mission, I blew off rescuing Hermann and just found the terrorist leader. Is this one of those "every action has unforeseen consequences hours later" type games, or did I just miss some XP or something?

-Also, when people say it's open-ended, are we talking "there's literally no wrong choice" open-ended a la Alpha Protocol, or more "okay you can take the alternate choice but the game will allow you to gently caress up and just not reward you" open-ended a la Mass Effect, or even Fallout 2? For example, I've played a bit of Human Revolution and I remember you had to basically be a pacifisric ghost-ninja to maximize your XP. Is this the case with this game, or can I continue with my current strategy of creatively killing everyone I come across? I was pretty proud of 'gas grenade + headshots' and I'd had to think I was being punished for it behind the scenes.

-I'm guessing the 'real first name' bit during character creation is pure flavor, correct? Also, not a question, but I love that your appearance options are limited to 'how tan do you want this white guy to be.' I didn't realize just how much Alpha Protocol had in common with this game until now :allears:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Wolfsheim posted:

-During the first mission, I blew off rescuing Hermann and just found the terrorist leader. Is this one of those "every action has unforeseen consequences hours later" type games, or did I just miss some XP or something?

There's multiple ways to tackle almost every objective. The more obtuse ones usually pay out the most since they require the most work. Accomplishing some things or finding out certain information in one mission may also give you another way to tackle a later mission. Someone who's played more recently than me can elaborate better.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Wolfsheim posted:

Okay, so I just picked up the original Deus Ex (because it's currently like $3 at GOG), played through the tutorial and the first mission and I'm having a blast tranqing terrorists and then throwing their unconscious bodies off of buildings, but I had a couple of questions that aren't covered in the wiki:

-Also, when people say it's open-ended, are we talking "there's literally no wrong choice" open-ended a la Alpha Protocol, or more "okay you can take the alternate choice but the game will allow you to gently caress up and just not reward you" open-ended a la Mass Effect, or even Fallout 2? For example, I've played a bit of Human Revolution and I remember you had to basically be a pacifisric ghost-ninja to maximize your XP. Is this the case with this game, or can I continue with my current strategy of creatively killing everyone I come across? I was pretty proud of 'gas grenade + headshots' and I'd had to think I was being punished for it behind the scenes.

-I'm guessing the 'real first name' bit during character creation is pure flavor, correct? Also, not a question, but I love that your appearance options are limited to 'how tan do you want this white guy to be.' I didn't realize just how much Alpha Protocol had in common with this game until now :allears:
Choices in Deus Ex are in the vein of Alpha Protocol: I don't believe you'll ever lose XP, but different characters will be hostile (or not hostile) depending on what you do. You get skillpoints in the original DX for progressing in the game or exploring--how you take out enemies won't affect your character growth, though it can affect what people think of you.

Do whatever you think is best. You might end up with an extra boss fight but you'll get the same amount of XP.

And yeah, JC's actual first name will never come up except in some emails.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 16, 2013

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Since it's now on Steam...

Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant

1. Rush to New City ASAP and go to the temple. Tell the priest "We have learned the holy sacraments" and go into the secret passage behind him for a free healing fountain and a chest. Fiddle with the chest until it does something that doesn't kill/stone anyone (you probably don't have the skulduggery to disarm it) and keep the parchment you find inside. You'll get a lot of experience - enough for 3-4 new levels for everyone if you started a new game from scratch - and more importantly get the Legend Map. Keep. This. Thing. Genuine newbies can probably do the starter dungeon first, just go as soon as you can survive the ambush outside New City.

2. The Legend Map is the only map you actually need. The other maps contain clues to various puzzles throughout the game, but the Legend map is required near the end of the game.

3. Don't laugh at the Terminate Game button. It's a major time-saver when you run into a fight you can't win.

4. Head southwest from New City through the woods until you hit the water and turn right. The chest in the clearing contains the Journey Map Kit.

5. The Mapping skill determines how much detail is shown in the Journey Map Kit. It's worth investing in unless you're making your own detailed maps on graph paper.

6. Try not to fall into the pits under Munkarahma. You probably will not have Cure Disease at this point.

7. Any character who has less than 10 points in Swimming will drown upon contact with water.

8. The moat area in the center of New City is a good place to practice your characters' swimming once the entire party can survive.

9. Keep any Gorrors Keys you find. These will be useful near the end of the game.

10. So will the Brush & Comb from Orkogre Castle.

11. Firearms aren't worth it unless you're willing to grind Helazoids for power packs - there are two very strong firearms available late in the game if you really want to use firearms, but they're mutually exclusive with each other and with one of the best weapons in the game.

12. You WILL need Cure Poison, get it ASAP. Sane Mind is also extremely useful. Cure Lesser Condition and Cure Paralysis are handy but rarely vital. You'll likely only need Cure Disease once or twice in the game, but you'll be glad you have it when it comes up - Disease is nasty. Cure Stone is something you'll hopefully never need, and reloading may be a preferable solution.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Simply put, Deus Ex's story is linear but certain characters and events will change depending on what you do. Earliest example is whether you murdered everyone in Liberty Island; some people will congratulate you for murdering everyone while others will be angry if you go non-lethal. The open-endedness comes in the level design and there are a lot of secrets so if you don't explore you will lose some XP.

But just like Human Revolution, by mid-game you'll get more than enough XP to be satisfied with the skills you actually want. And even if you don't pump up computers or lockpicking, there are several unique ways to see all the content in the game whether it's blowing a door down with an explosive or navigating a trapped room that reveals a password which opens that locked door. In Liberty Island alone you can hop on some crates directly to the top, go through some vents to completely avoid the front door, find a passcode to the front door hidden somewhere, hack the front door, or talk to a guy at the docks who'll give up the passcode for money IIRC.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

There's multiple ways to tackle almost every objective. The more obtuse ones usually pay out the most since they require the most work. Accomplishing some things or finding out certain information in one mission may also give you another way to tackle a later mission. Someone who's played more recently than me can elaborate better.

Playing Deus Ex like a regular FPS is terrible the first time through. Try to play as a spy, avoiding most battles and generally killing unaware enemies with silenced guns or just dropping grenades down into a room from the ducts. Or set up some proximity mines then start shooting at the enemies and wait for them to charge into the minefield and die. Or hack the battle robots/turrets and turn them against each other.

There's really tons of options but charging in with the assault rifle or shotgun is the least fun.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
How about something for Mass Effect 3 since I am now getting around to playing that one?

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

flatluigi posted:

Any tips for Skate 3? I seem to be really bad at racking up the points.

There's not a lot to say about the Skate series other than they each build on the previous iteration. So it may be easier to start from the beginning and work through, since there's an expectation that you're already comfortable with the controls from playing the first or second game.

I've beaten the original Skate and played a decent amount of the second. The larger environments in Skate 2 can feel somewhat demanding because of high requirements for speed and precision timing. I felt satisfied playing around in Skate 2 rather than continue with the story because I'd unlocked a decently sized playground which was more fulfilling than the story requirements.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

How about something for Mass Effect 3 since I am now getting around to playing that one?
The stuff on the wiki should be sufficent, though I'd add the following:

-Do not play the Citadel DLC until the end of the game, lest you want some extreme mood whiplash. You start that DLC by checking out Anderson's apartment on the citadel.

-If you grab the various DLCs you should be able to avoid having to play multiplayer.

-I was thrown a little bit regarding the Illusive Man's dialogue choices; It's not just the Mars mission where you have to choose the upper-left dialogue choice to unlock the Paragon options, a bunch of them are like that. Basically every conversation you have with IM should have a paragon choice in there somewhere and you want to make sure you pick that every time. So if you went through a conversation and didn't see any, you may want to repeat that event to see if you missed one. No clue if the same holds true for anything Renegade-related.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

-If you grab the various DLCs you should be able to avoid having to play multiplayer.

That's not to say that multiplayer should be avoided at all costs—it's quite popular and many people think it's a lot of fun, I highly recommend spending a little time checking it out to see if you like it. It just isn't mandatory to get the best ending in single player anymore, you're free to ignore it if you decide it's not for you.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Galactic readiness resets a little each day. This kind of pissed me off when I went through multiplayer in a single sitting, set the game aside for a few weeks, and came back to find readiness at 50% across the board.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

al-azad posted:

Galactic readiness resets a little each day. This kind of pissed me off when I went through multiplayer in a single sitting, set the game aside for a few weeks, and came back to find readiness at 50% across the board.

This was indeed annoying, but is no longer relevant. Your need 3100 to get the best ending, which is perfectly doable if you pay a bit of attention to sidequests along the way, without ever touching multiplayer.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Goons posted:

ME3 Multiplayer and DLC talk.

I was thinking I wasn't gonna get any paid DLC this time because I really don't feel like spending that much money on my current budget. The $17 I spent on ME2 DLC was lots.

What kind of multiplayer is it in ME3? I tend to shy away from competitive environments because that kind of atmosphere and the initial "get good and gain levels while constantly losing" grind of those types of games are really the opposite of what I like playing games for.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

I was thinking I wasn't gonna get any paid DLC this time because I really don't feel like spending that much money on my current budget. The $17 I spent on ME2 DLC was lots.

Well, if you only get one, make it Citadel, it's really quite special. Leviathan is pretty good as well.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What kind of multiplayer is it in ME3? I tend to shy away from competitive environments because that kind of atmosphere and the initial "get good and gain levels while constantly losing" grind of those types of games are really the opposite of what I like playing games for.

It's entirely co-op based. You earn credits fighting which are spent on boxes that contain random equipment. All the classes are there as well as the major races and I must admit it's very satisfying to finally play as a Volus or Krogan. I enjoyed it for the couple hours it took to 100% galactic readiness but I wouldn't go back to it, it just wasn't that robust of a system.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

ME3's multiplayer is the combat gameplay of ME3 condensed into a wave-based, cooperative game mode for (up to) four players.
You fight ten waves of incoming enemies with objectives to do in between.
At the end of a mission you get experience points and cash which you can use to level up your characters and buy new characters and equipment.

It sounds pretty basic but it is very fun and addictive if you enjoy the basic gameplay of ME3 (which you probably will if you've enjoyed ME2's, as it's like that but improved in virtually all aspects). There's plenty of people who've only played through the SP game once but sunk hundreds of hours into MP.

It's absolutely not competitive and fairly chill, at least on PC where nobody even uses a microphone most of the time.
Definitely give it a try, you might be missing out on a lot of fun otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

There's a thread devoted to it here, if you want to get up to speed.

I would advise playing at least 3-4 games as the same class before passing judgment; it isn't the worst grind in the world, but you do start out fairly impotent at level 1 with no gear. It only takes a couple games to level up to a point where you're powerful enough to hold your own, it isn't that bad of a process. If you want to get deeper into it, with high levels and the rarest gear, it does become something of a grind, sorry to say, but it doesn't take long at all to get to a point where the game is fun.

Sentinel is a good choice to start, because it doesn't rely on gear at all; your abilities are strong enough to get you by on silver and bronze no matter what you're packing, as long as you're playing well.

Vanguard is another fun class choice for MP. It's an extremely repetitive playstyle (charge, nova, charge, nova, charge, nova, with the occasional "walk away backwards from that banshee" thrown in), I won't deny it, but it can be really fun too, in short bursts at least. Worth a try, definitely.

Many many many words could be said about the Mass Effect 3's multiplayer (as the extremely long and active thread devoted to it will attest) but the basic gist of it is, try it out and see if you like it, and if you decide that you don't, then it's fine, it doesn't affect the single player game in any vital ways anymore.

Do make sure you download all of the multiplayer DLC before you start--it's 100% free, and it unlocks a bunch of classes and gear (well, it would be more accurate to say that it unlocks the possibility to unlock those classes and gear as you play the game), there's absolutely no reason not to do it unless you're short on hard drive space or something.

And yes, citadel DLC is absolutely worth it, especially if you've been playing the series from the beginning. Just make sure you wait until you beat the game to start it, since, as someone else already mentioned, it's a total tone shift. It's more light-hearted, with a focus on character relationships, ignoring the "REAPERS ARE ABOUT TO KILL US ALL" plot entirely. It's extremely well written, and a fantastic conclusion to the series, but it would definitely be jarring if you played it and then went on with the game's main plot for the very first time.