Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That or they wanted to work on something that would actually make them some money.

How big are G.rev these days, anyway? They're basically Treasure-sized, right?

Hahaha... I like how this is worded. G.rev worked on Ikaruga, which was by Treasure. Hiroshi left Treasure and joined G.rev as well.

G.rev have 10 employees if Wikipedia is anything to go by, so no, not huge. It's not really a great way of judging a company though (Vanillaware has 23, for example).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ah, throughout the last part I kept wondering if the last boss was going to have a second form for Arino to fight.

I can certainly see why this game was turned down after being considered multiple times. It's not a great episode overall, but it's not terrible either. Thanks for the release, guys!

Also, the costume-changing platformer game in the PV for the 3DS GCCX game looks pretty cool.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
SuperSweep just announced Takahiro Eguchi and Yousuke Yasui in charge of GCCX3's soundtrack.

https://twitter.com/super_sweep/status/378463304810655744

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mace Bacon posted:

Why does Arino use a limited continue on the First Stage of games :argh:

Thanks team! loving it so far.

Bio-Warrior Dan always uses a continue when you hit start. :eng101: You actually have to cycle power to reset the continues.

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
Thanks for the new episode, I'm 24 and a half minutes in and just heard a familiar riff from Ketsui. Thought I was going mad for a second. Killer shop segment and a good episode so far.

retromonk
Nov 5, 2009

Verveces tui similes pro ientaculo mihi appositi sunt
Many thanks for the new episode! \:yayclod:/

SupaPhly
Nov 14, 2012
Excuse my ignorance, but will the first post be updated?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'd love to see a marathon where a person does each game Arino has played in order.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Xelkelvos posted:

I'd love to see a marathon where a person does each game Arino has played in order.

That would make an awesome theme for all the charity gaming marathons that crop up around the holidays.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Quick and dirty translation of Arino's "J Legend Gaiden" interview. J Legend Gaiden is a 3DS collection of licensed Famicom games based on Jump Magazine titles.

----------------------------

JLegend: Since you've tackled numerous retro games on "Game Center CX," I'd like to chat with you about the charm of retro games to commemorate the release of J Legend Gaiden.

Arino: Please do.

JLegend: First off, are there any games in J Legend Gaiden you have played yourself?

Arino: Dragon Ball: Mystery of Shenlong and Saint Seiya: Golden Legend are games I played as a child. (as he plays) But, I didn't play them properly. Whenever I got a new game, I'd switch to that right away.

JLegend: Licensed games weren't limited to Jump Magazine titles. Many licensed games were released then. What is most appealing about them to you?

Arino: Unlike today, games back then that were based on comics used pixel art. So, sometimes they have nothing to do with the original artwork or the story. There's something to be said about having to adapt that in your head.

JLegend: Filling in the blanks yourself?

Arino: Yes. Let's say this scene doesn't exist in the Dragon Ball comic. I'd imagine how it might look, as though turning the pages in my head. I got enjoyment out of that.

JLegend: Can you talk more in detail about the licensed games you played in those times?

Arino: This was in grade school, so nobody had money. So when someone in my group of friends got a game, it would be shared among us... That's why I don't think I owned Dragon Ball: Mystery of Shenlong. I think I borrowed it from someone else.

JLegend: Those certainly were the times. There were kids who would write their names on the back of the cart, too. (laughs)

Arino: Writing your name on it made you look cheap. (laughs) There was one kid who would write his name on the warning label on the back, and with his games we would always be like, "better return it..." (laughs) Whenever anyone got a game it would get circulated among us, so I'd wind up with the next circulated game before finishing the last one. I probably went, "man, I didn't make any progress in Dragon Ball..." (laughs) But then I must've went, "well, I'm never gonna play it again anyway..." and forgot about it. Then, "Game Center CX" goes "please clear Dragon Ball," and I end up having to play it. It's like finishing my childhood homework in my 40's. And I've been doing that for the show for 10 years. (laughs) So it turns out to be fresh to me. I've completely forgotten what those games were like, so I'd go, "is this what this game was like?" as I play... (laughs)

JLegend: So that's how "Game Center CX" reached its 10th year. (laughs) What drives you to continue this show for a whole decade?

Arino: Let's see... I mentioned earlier, but I've completely forgotten the games I played among friends, and I haven't even seen the endings. I continue to do "Game Center CX" to honor the memories of those games I never cleared back then. (laughs)

JLegend: It holds that kind of significance for you, I see. (laughs) Well then, why do children play retro games today? What significance does that hold, and what is their appeal? I'd like you to hear what you have to say to the current generation of young retro gamers.

Arino: Well... I think most adults will say they were "games from the good old days," but I wouldn't say they're "good." (laughs)

The system is unkind -- the slightest touch from an enemy and you're dead. The stories are different from the comics... and most of all, the art is in pixels. (laughs). Kids today playing retro games is significant because they get to experience for themselves that unfairness we had to go through. Like, they get to find out how amazing gamers were back then. (laughs)

JLegend: I see! (laughs) Lastly, in your eyes, do you believe J Legend Gaiden will sell?

Arino: I don't know! (laughs) But if it sells well and becomes a series, I believe kids will understand even better how hard I try.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The Bio Senshi Dan episode was great stuff---the arcade trip especially was somehow extra amusing/funny. Definitely a great release to start things back on!

Unless my mind has already collapsed from so much Arino, I hope they challenge Cosmo Police Galivan one of these days...

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I find it amusing that it apparently took Arino about 512 seconds, or about eight and a half minutes, to locate the secret door at the start of the second area. Oh, Arino. :allears:

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I love that Arino has been so reluctant to dodge or otherwise stop rapid firing during boss fights in 10 years, or probably more than 25 years or whenever he started playing games. This was the best type of game for a GCCX episode.

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013

Fooley posted:

That would make an awesome theme for all the charity gaming marathons that crop up around the holidays.

You know, i really like this idea. We have a 25-hour charity event at my gaming store coming up,maybe this could be my thing for it. I mean, we've shown some of the best episodes. I'd love to try (hopefully i get my Battle Golfer Yui before then)

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Trailer for GCCX3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y-brNPP1tw
Info and screens here: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/09/13/an-arino-twist-on-mario-bros-and-a-mega-man-like-game-with-dinosaur-costumes/

Game is looking awesome

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011
New deluge incoming?

Make it rain, SA-GCCX.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I just watched the Bio-Warrior Dan episode (which I realized I've already seen the raw for a long time ago, so it felt like a new episode to me), and once again you guys at SAGCCX did an amazing job. Thank you again for all your hard work. :)

Also, how did it take Arino so long to find out that second dragon turret thing in the final boss's tank could be skipped without fighting it? I've never played the game before, but even I knew by watching it could be skipped. :psyduck: I guess it's Arino just being Arino...

Potsticker posted:

Also, the costume-changing platformer game in the PV for the 3DS GCCX game looks pretty cool.
I got a slight Little Nemo: The Dream Master vibe out of it, which makes me happy since I think that game is amazing and still feels like doesn't get as much praise as it should.

I really hope this gets an English release, especially since GCCX is becoming pretty popular outside of Japan.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Obeast posted:

I got a slight Little Nemo: The Dream Master vibe out of it, which makes me happy since I think that game is amazing and still feels like doesn't get as much praise as it should.
I dunno, the only comparison I myself can draw between them is that they might both be unapologetically hard as poo poo. I mean, I'd love to see Arino play Nemo because I enjoyed that game a lot too, but he'd probably get stuck on Toy Land for ten hours and that would be that.

If anything, it reminded me of Monster Party. Both really weird and grotesque titles.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

My work has let up a bit, so here's a quick translation of the trailer (subbed by Abunai, also of VR-GCCX).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNq829uNAn8

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 14, 2013

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I will be beyond upset if no one localizes this.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

The GCCX staff is asking for which game Arino should play at Budokan for a revenge challenge. Licensed games are allowed. I misread; it says it's fine whether you name a title or a character. E-mail suggestions and reasons behind the picks to: gccx1105@gascoin.co.jp Deadline: end of September.

ETA: vvvv The event is two and a half hours.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 16, 2013

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

How long is the event?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I don't care that he hasn't played it and therefore can't get revenge, I'm votin for Ecco a hundred times.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
This is Doom's chance to shine!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

I don't care that he hasn't played it and therefore can't get revenge, I'm votin for Ecco a hundred times.

I repeat, the event is two and a half hours :colbert:

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:
What could he even beat in two and a half hours?

e: oh and thanks for the release. :)

vv Yeah, that makes sense.

versus fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 16, 2013

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

versus posted:

What could he even beat in two and a half hours?

If it's a revenge challenge he might resume where he left off.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I would love to see a revenge challenge for Alex Kidd in Miracle World. From where he left off, I think he could do it on 2 hours.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Revenge challenge for Punch-out! would be fantastic

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Speaking of Budokan, any ideas on what I should draw for the sign accompanying the floral arrangement? There will be a lot of horizontal space and not much vertical. I think it should be somewhat readable from a distance.

makere
Jan 14, 2012

zari-gani posted:

Speaking of Budokan, any ideas on what I should draw for the sign accompanying the floral arrangement? There will be a lot of horizontal space and not much vertical. I think it should be somewhat readable from a distance.

How much space? Enough to fit the staff drawn as Lemmings?

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Arino and the staff cruising along in Mario Kart gokarts!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^Turbo Tunnel from Battletoads, with the various staff members splattered against the obstacles.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
All of the notable staff, each made to look like they're from a different game that's Arino's played before and seems appropriate. Arino is obviously in the lead in his own classic apparel

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
A photorealistic Hamaguchi

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

makere posted:

How much space? Enough to fit the staff drawn as Lemmings?

I can't do too much detail, or else it'll be hard to see unless you get really close to it. From the looks of it, the florist's printer isn't that great either, so gotta take that into account. Ideally it would just be a simple large pic of Arino from the shoulders up.

Gutcruncher posted:

A photorealistic Hamaguchi

Considered!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Revenge challenge should be Ikki. After all, we never did see the ending. He could probably get to level 100 in 2.5 hours. :getin:

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

zari-gani posted:

Dickbutt. :colbert:

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

zari-gani posted:

Dhalsim mid-victory dance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

bpc908 posted:

Revenge challenge for Punch-out! would be fantastic

This is actually the one I requested. I think a boxing theme would fit the Budoukan really well.