Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I just beat Operation 002 and holy poo poo this game is loving great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Will give it a shot when I resume. Unrelated question for 001-B

After the helmet section I jumped across a broken bridge and found a wonderful one and some people on a burning building but couldn't figure out how to get to them, am I missing something obvious?

I just figured this out actually, if you have wonder red in the lead with unite fist out you don't take damage from fire, i had it out and jumped onto the building without giving a gently caress

This game is crazy awesome! I really like it when games don't have a hand hold tutorial and just let you figure stuff out on your own. Makes you feel like a PRO GAMER

in the miso soup
Aug 16, 2013
Platinum just put up a blog post with a few tips and tricks.

I've played it through twice and I only knew one of these...

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
You can taunt in this game?!

EDIT: Man, you can even use it as a quick way to start Unite Camp. If I had known about it on my first playthrough, I would have gotten some better ranks on the later stages.

Mr. Trampoline fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 16, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I knew all of those but taunting but holy poo poo I missed taunting. That's amazing.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Those spike-armor enemies and turtles were real tough to fight at first, but it's really neat to see how they have several tricks for beating them quickly. The turtles become a lot easier to handle once you realize you can just stand by their sides and bait them into that really easy to block stomp that lets you flip them over.

I just got up to Operation 004 and I think my favorite aspect of this game right now is how this game likes to change it up every level. The pacing has felt pretty good so far with a decent balance of normal fights and set pieces. The only complaint I've had so far is that one of the interior sections had a messed up camera when using the gyro stuff in the controller. Thankfully you can turn that off!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Alright someone spoil it for me in regards to bosses. Just finished 004

Do all of them have a stupid platform healthbar? I keep dying because of it instead of the actual boss and it really is ruining the enjoyment of the game for me. Normal combat I can do perfectly fine and I want to love the bosses but they're so goddamn frustrating mechanically to me.

Doesn't help I'm a dunce though and forgot what absorbed electricity so I dissolved into some DSP like state of anger.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Alright someone spoil it for me in regards to bosses. Just finished 004

Do all of them have a stupid platform healthbar? I keep dying because of it instead of the actual boss and it really is ruining the enjoyment of the game for me. Normal combat I can do perfectly fine and I want to love the bosses but they're so goddamn frustrating mechanically to me.

Doesn't help I'm a dunce though and forgot what absorbed electricity so I dissolved into some DSP like state of anger.

No, it only shows up sometimes. And forgetting the counters is why you're having trouble, those reduce that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ImpAtom posted:

No, it only shows up sometimes. And forgetting the counters is why you're having trouble, those reduce that.

Yeah I admit that it's mostly my fault. I feel like a game journalist playing this through. :negative:

Unrelated but (004-B spoilers) When Red was alone I kept trying to find a red hot kick. I wonder if they can patch it in...

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Welp, got my copy this afternoon. Now I just need to wait for Friday to get my WiiU bundle. :suicide:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

One thing that really helps with the platforms. If you see those little round "wounds" on the ground, draw a wonder circle round them it will heal the platform, a lot. It's especially helpful for 4-C

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Another tip I don't think I've seen people point out:

When an enemy is about to explode (glowing purple) you can circle them and recruit them as you would a civilian. Great for pumping up your Wonderful numbers earlier in a level.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

ImpAtom posted:

Another tip I don't think I've seen people point out:

When an enemy is about to explode (glowing purple) you can circle them and recruit them as you would a civilian. Great for pumping up your Wonderful numbers earlier in a level.

I've only ever gotten Dough-Goo and Chew Dough-Goo recruited, is it possible to recruit anyone else? My usual strategy is to wait on recruiting civilians until my team is full of enemies, then recruit civilians until they start filling my Justice Rockets.

Bu the way, Justice Rockets own, and you probably have a stockpile of them you didn't know about. You can't wonder liner while it's out, but it'll blow the poo poo out of anything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dieting Hippo posted:

I've only ever gotten Dough-Goo and Chew Dough-Goo recruited, is it possible to recruit anyone else? My usual strategy is to wait on recruiting civilians until my team is full of enemies, then recruit civilians until they start filling my Justice Rockets.

Bu the way, Justice Rockets own, and you probably have a stockpile of them you didn't know about. You can't wonder liner while it's out, but it'll blow the poo poo out of anything.

I'm fairly sure it's only low-rank enemies but I can't 100% confirm it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Do you have to unlock the ability to view the ranks of your wonderful ones and assign new leaders? I must have had a massive brain fart because I could do this just fine in the demo but now I can't figure it out.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

Do you have to unlock the ability to view the ranks of your wonderful ones and assign new leaders? I must have had a massive brain fart because I could do this just fine in the demo but now I can't figure it out.
There's an arrow either at the top or bottom of the tablet screen, hit it and it'll bring up a list of all the wonderful ones you have and which are set as leaders. Hit x to assign whatever ones you want then a to confirm.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Has anyone figured out how to do the other input for the taunt? I can do it by pressing X + A, but the Platinum blog says that you should also be able to trigger it by "holding down the right stick button". Clicking the right stick doesn't seem to do anything, though.

On the bright side, I did find another neat trick: clicking the left stick will cause your team to huddle around you as if you were holding Y, but doesn't call back any Wonderful Ones who are currently climb attacking or in Unite Morphs.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

So I'm stuck in a tumbling cylinder blocked by a wall of flame. I have no idea how to progress and I think I've tried every unite morph on every object at this point. Any clues?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well I've beat 001 and while I'm real bad at the game, and don't really know how to start getting better it's still a ton of fun for the most part.

There are a few really clunky things though. For one Unite Build seems to be really finicky. There's a point in the boss battle near the end of 001 where you have to unite build using all 100 of your guys and the last guy just wouldn't go in there to complete it. Maybe I was doing something wrong but it seems like they should've made that more automatic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Well I've beat 001 and while I'm real bad at the game, and don't really know how to start getting better it's still a ton of fun for the most part.

There are a few really clunky things though. For one Unite Build seems to be really finicky. There's a point in the boss battle near the end of 001 where you have to unite build using all 100 of your guys and the last guy just wouldn't go in there to complete it. Maybe I was doing something wrong but it seems like they should've made that more automatic.

Sometimes there's still a guy out. Try reclicking the stick to make sure he or she goes in.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

The Moon Monster posted:

So I'm stuck in a tumbling cylinder blocked by a wall of flame. I have no idea how to progress and I think I've tried every unite morph on every object at this point. Any clues?

What operation / mission is that?

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Unite Gun at the far end to the right, just shoot a bunch.

MaskedTai
May 30, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

I got stuck here too. Someone already answered you with the Unite Gun, but goddamn, there's no clue there that you're supposed to shoot, or even that the tanks will extinguish the flames. I tried running through with a giant Unite Hand probably 4 times before I just gave up and looked it up on Youtube.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dunban posted:

What operation / mission is that?

It's 003B. I actually figured it out immediately after asking because that's the way these things work. I had actually already tried it a few times, but I guess my aim sucks. Once you get through it you'll wish you hadn't because the next section is a jumping section. I like pretty much every other part of the game, but the jumping areas are just horrendous.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
About the game's lack of explanation, I find that to be kind of bullshit because, well, it does tell you what stuff does. Whenever a major new thing comes up in gameplay, the game will give you, at the least, a little popup in the corner that will tell you what said new thing is and how to use it, and you can, at any time, go into the Pause menu and remind yourself on how to use things. When you get a new weapon, the game will make you draw it once and you can, again, go into the menu and see how to do it again in case you ever forget. I know I never really felt like the game never told me the basics so, I honestly don't know where that's all coming from.

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe

BurningCourage posted:

About the game's lack of explanation, I find that to be kind of bullshit because, well, it does tell you what stuff does. Whenever a major new thing comes up in gameplay, the game will give you, at the least, a little popup in the corner that will tell you what said new thing is and how to use it, and you can, at any time, go into the Pause menu and remind yourself on how to use things. When you get a new weapon, the game will make you draw it once and you can, again, go into the menu and see how to do it again in case you ever forget. I know I never really felt like the game never told me the basics so, I honestly don't know where that's all coming from.

Not having a metal gear-esque cutscene explaining each new feature, I suppose

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
I think a lot of it comes down to 'wanna'. The Zeboyd article is very on point about how game reviewers are routinely moving through a game quickly trying to sample a little bit of everything. Once you're past that point you've got to wanna. I can basically guarantee you that no reviewer will ever mention stuff like dodge offset despite it being a nearly de facto element of combat in Platinum games.

There's an ideal space for people in the reviewer mindset. It's somewhere between Skyward Sword (hey you reset the game, let me tell you about butterflies) and DMC/MGR/W101 (Exceed, crazy combos, dodge offset, etc.) and I don't think games from the latter category will ever be able to reach that point without losing what makes them unique.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

WeaponBoy posted:

I think a lot of it comes down to 'wanna'. The Zeboyd article is very on point about how game reviewers are routinely moving through a game quickly trying to sample a little bit of everything. Once you're past that point you've got to wanna. I can basically guarantee you that no reviewer will ever mention stuff like dodge offset despite it being a nearly de facto element of combat in Platinum games.

There's an ideal space for people in the reviewer mindset. It's somewhere between Skyward Sword (hey you reset the game, let me tell you about butterflies) and DMC/MGR/W101 (Exceed, crazy combos, dodge offset, etc.) and I don't think games from the latter category will ever be able to reach that point without losing what makes them unique.

Yeah, I'm starting to think you just can't make everyone happy.

Make the game too simple/easy and you lose people like us who obsess over Youtube tutorials and near-hour-long mechanics explanations and are impressed by the deep complexity of the game and how it rewards practice and learning the systems. I know I value a game that feels different to me after I've played it a bunch and really figured it out.

As is, the games may be a hassle for someone who just wants to come in and be entertained for a while (not that that's a bad thing, "casuals" :airquote:, etc.) since the game is not really set up to be completely open to a brand new player.

There's always Easy Mode (and Platinum games are without a doubt entertaining spectacles regardless of what your preference for gameplay is), but it seems like loving everyone ignores that it exists. Perhaps if they named Easy Mode as "Normal" and added a difficulty or two on top of Very Hard/Supahard Gimmick Mode it would make the reviews better...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

People don't want to play Easy mode. It's unfortunately that simple.

Video games are power fantasy and few people want to feel like the crappy weak guy who needs his hand held. Even if the game would be more fun for them, even if it was designed for them, they still don't want to play it that way.

It is why you've gotten towards the trend of developers renaming Easy as "Normal" and bumping Normal up to Hard, or giving the modes names like "Veteran" and "Champion" which sound better than "Easy/Normal."

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

People don't want to play Easy mode. It's unfortunately that simple.

Video games are power fantasy and few people want to feel like the crappy weak guy who needs his hand held. Even if the game would be more fun for them, even if it was designed for them, they still don't want to play it that way.

It is why you've gotten towards the trend of developers renaming Easy as "Normal" and bumping Normal up to Hard, or giving the modes names like "Veteran" and "Champion" which sound better than "Easy/Normal."

I feel like this is literally all they would need to do to stop the whiny reviewers. Instantly change from "I can't comprehend this game/the amount of time I am required to invest in this game for me to enjoy it is too great" to "Hey this certainly is an enjoyable spectacle. And wow those "upper difficulties" sure are crazy and there's no doubt some people will enjoy them!"

Just patch the game, Platinum. Wish it wasn't too late for that... Still waiting for a Platinum game to get the widespread approval it deserves.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I feel like Metal Gear Rising already kind of did that. Normal mode was pretty easy, and hard mode had a good level of difficulty for action game fans.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
I think that DMC4 probably had the best version of this. Automatic mode took over the Exceed/charge system so all you had to do was button mash and you'd be throwing out EX moves like nobody's business.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I feel like Metal Gear Rising already kind of did that. Normal mode was pretty easy, and hard mode had a good level of difficulty for action game fans.

Most of the game, yeah. But if you aren't used to action games there were definitely some things that would be roadblocks even on Normal, I think. Just shift the difficulties (normal->hard, hard->very hard, etc.), "add" a few harder difficulties, and put in an insultingly easy mode so people who play on normal think they're playing "the real game".

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Most of the game, yeah. But if you aren't used to action games there were definitely some things that would be roadblocks even on Normal, I think. Just shift the difficulties (normal->hard, hard->very hard, etc.), "add" a few harder difficulties, and put in an insultingly easy mode so people who play on normal think they're playing "the real game".

Thinking about it more, that's also what they did in XCOM. Normal mode is actually easier than it presents itself because all the values are fudged. Since most people would say "60%? Sounds good!" they tweaked all the values to be like 10-20% better so it seems like you're beating the odds way more often. Then in Classic not only do they un-fudge the numbers on the backend, but they add more enemy health and reduce the visible numbers too.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Why do publishers keep giving Platinum money? Dont get me wrong, Im incredibly glad that they do, but their games are pretty much always a guaranteed flop. It just doesnt seem to make a whole lot of business sense.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Gutcruncher posted:

Why do publishers keep giving Platinum money? Dont get me wrong, Im incredibly glad that they do, but their games are pretty much always a guaranteed flop. It just doesnt seem to make a whole lot of business sense.

I figure it's "these guys' games are really good this one HAS to actually sell, right?"

They're never right :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

They tend to sell enough. Platinum does wonders with smaller budgets.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Platinum is the master of 'we'll at least break enough above even to justify ourselves'.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
It probably helps that they've had some much more successful releases lately - Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising both broke a million units, which whilst hardly competing for most successful games ever, is pretty decent. On the other hand, the former had some notable viral marketing and 'appeal' for general audiences, and the latter rode off the coat tails of an immensely successful franchise, so genre change or not, it was going to sell.

Wonderful 101 is however a new IP that seems to have had barely any marketing put behind it right up the very last second, and moreso after people realised it wasn't flying off the shelves in either Europe or Japan. It might make someone feel a bit more cautious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Monkey Fracas posted:

Thinking about this, I remember reading forever ago that either Japan would do this for games, or when the game was translated they would change normal to easy, hard to normal, and make a new hard difficulty. I guess everyone in the world is a bitch at video games nowadays.

• Locked thread