Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Can anyone help me with the name of a movie?

It's a horror movie about a couple (on vacation?) in Europe. During a walk in the forest they stumble upon a statue of the devil, all misty and creepy as gently caress. Some time later, the girl gets possessed, her boyfriend tries to exorcise with the help of some old lady but in the end they cant do it and have to kill her.

The details I remember are pretty shady and I have no idea who starred in the movie, wasn't a blockbuster that is for sure.

E: the description is pretty awful but I managed to find it, it is called The Shrine
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1341710/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

West007 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I'm a regional transplant from the Chicago area to Indianapolis. Naturally, I would like to watch my favorite sports teams from Chicago here in Indy. Does anyone know where/how I can find out how to watch Blackhawks games here once the season starts? From what I've read, Indy is considered a "home market" for the Blackhawks, so national broadcasts of the games are blacked out. This also leads me to believe that if I get either of the national NHL broadcast packages (Gamecenter Live and Center Ice), games will be blacked out unless I spoof my IP address anyway. I'm just really frustrated with the utter lack of options for watching Chicago sports in this city.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Is there an industry term for music that is clearly ripping off another song, but because one or two notes are changed it's legal to use in a commercial? I think the most famous example is Home Depot and TGIF Fridays getting sued by The Black Keys.

I hear it all the time lately. Sizzler is airing a commercial that clearly uses Smells Like Teen Spirit and I just listened to a car radio commercial use the synth chorus from M83's Kim and Jessie.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Is there an industry term for music that is clearly ripping off another song, but because one or two notes are changed it's legal to use in a commercial? I think the most famous example is Home Depot and TGIF Fridays getting sued by The Black Keys.

I hear it all the time lately. Sizzler is airing a commercial that clearly uses Smells Like Teen Spirit and I just listened to a car radio commercial use the synth chorus from M83's Kim and Jessie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound-alike

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
I'm a designer in the UK with a client in the US, and I'm wondering if anyone knows an efficient way of transferring her payment from the US to my bank in the UK. I need £450 to land in my account, meaning she'll be liable for the fees to get it here. However, neither of us want to be stiffed with huge charges, but I'm a bit clueless on how best to do it. Googling reveals a total minefield, and honestly I'm a bit stumped on where to start, and what companies are reliable/fairly speedy/not going to shaft me and her. Any recommendations?

If this should be in the Finance forum I'll cross post it there; the reason I didn't was because I couldn't see a small questions megathread.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jeherrin posted:

I'm a designer in the UK with a client in the US, and I'm wondering if anyone knows an efficient way of transferring her payment from the US to my bank in the UK. I need £450 to land in my account, meaning she'll be liable for the fees to get it here. However, neither of us want to be stiffed with huge charges, but I'm a bit clueless on how best to do it. Googling reveals a total minefield, and honestly I'm a bit stumped on where to start, and what companies are reliable/fairly speedy/not going to shaft me and her. Any recommendations?

If this should be in the Finance forum I'll cross post it there; the reason I didn't was because I couldn't see a small questions megathread.

If you trust the client, what's stopping her from mailing a check for whatever the conversion amount is?

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm almost positive I saw this on Lileks. Don't remember what part.

From a few pages ago, but I just wanted to say thanks! I haven't found the image that I'm looking for yet, but that site is a goldmine of amazing images.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I am working on an Excel spreadsheet. I want a single row to completely clear its contents whenever a specific cell is altered. So far I have found information on how to make one sell clear if another cell is changed, but not a whole row. Can anyone help/provide a code for such a feat?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jeherrin posted:

Bank transfer? Paypal?

Huntersoninski posted:

I am working on an Excel spreadsheet. I want a single row to completely clear its contents whenever a specific cell is altered. So far I have found information on how to make one sell clear if another cell is changed, but not a whole row. Can anyone help/provide a code for such a feat?
I don't completely follow. Do you mean that, for one specific row, say "row 1", if cell A1 is changed you want A2 through A999 to be cleared? Would set to zero or "" be sufficient?

I think you're going to need an intermediate set of rows/cols where one set is the "input" and one is the "display" value.

I'm pretty sure this won't be hard to make something workable but I need more details on your requirements to make an example.

randyest fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 16, 2013

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
PayPal is generally fairly easy for stuff like that. Many large banks (Bank of America, Wells Fargo, TD Bank, etc.) will send international bank wires; it's usually $30 to $50 US for that, though.

Western Union is another possibility, if there's an office near you.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Let me tell you about a little thing called Bitcoins.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I have a cell phone and a home phone, but I want to drop the home phone service to something else to avoid the nearly $30 a month I pay to make/receive 5-20 calls a month (with about 15 of those being telemarketers.)

But I have so many things still that have some connection to my home number, I don't want to give it up.

So, I'm considering, I guess, some sort of parking, call-forwarding or voicemail service to hold home number for a period of time until I can figure out what best to do.

Any suggestions on what the best good and low-cost options are along this route? Or directions to a thread that deals in this sort of thing?

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

JediTalentAgent posted:

I have a cell phone and a home phone, but I want to drop the home phone service to something else to avoid the nearly $30 a month I pay to make/receive 5-20 calls a month (with about 15 of those being telemarketers.)

But I have so many things still that have some connection to my home number, I don't want to give it up.

So, I'm considering, I guess, some sort of parking, call-forwarding or voicemail service to hold home number for a period of time until I can figure out what best to do.

Any suggestions on what the best good and low-cost options are along this route? Or directions to a thread that deals in this sort of thing?

Change those things with the connection to the home phone to a Google Voice number/your cell phone? Seems like it'd be worth the hour or two to change that stuff to just ditch the thing completely.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I thought about that, but I still sort of like having the option of that old number being available to me if I restart landline service in the future, or eventually port it to a VOIP service or something.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

JediTalentAgent posted:

I thought about that, but I still sort of like having the option of that old number being available to me if I restart landline service in the future, or eventually port it to a VOIP service or something.

There are ways to port a landline to something like GV if you are super sentimental about your number for whatever odd reason. You just have to convert it to a mobile number first. Lots of guides on how to do this out there.

Why even have a landline? I'm not willing to pay $30 a month to make 5 local phone calls per month or get bothered by telemarketers. I've heard they are good to have during a natural disaster or something, but I'm not going to pay $360 per year on the chance cell service might be down someday.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Bovril Delight posted:

If you trust the client, what's stopping her from mailing a check for whatever the conversion amount is?

Cashing a check from a foreign bank costs 150-200 USD in Europe.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

axolotl farmer posted:

Cashing a check from a foreign bank costs 150-200 USD in Europe.

Holy balls.

Just do an international bank transfer. I do them all the time to USA from Australia and they cost about $25-35 on each end (so $50-70 all up). You just need to give your client your full bank account number (including the routing numbers at the start) and your bank's SWIFT code and address. Your client's bank should be able to do the math with exchange rates to make sure the right amount lands in your account.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Pogo the Clown posted:

Holy balls.

Just do an international bank transfer. I do them all the time to USA from Australia and they cost about $25-35 on each end (so $50-70 all up). You just need to give your client your full bank account number (including the routing numbers at the start) and your bank's SWIFT code and address. Your client's bank should be able to do the math with exchange rates to make sure the right amount lands in your account.

I agree with you and I do these for larger amounts and it's pretty easy (apart from idiot cashiers who don't understand the basics of banking). However, USD70 fees on a GBP450 transfer is 10% loss and that's a fair chunk of change.

There's no downside to doing a Paypal gift payment is there?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

thrakkorzog posted:

No insurance company would cover Ornithopters, because they always rush the Harkonnen base and get shot down.

AND with that I think I just wrote possibly the geekiest sentence ever.

Lawnie posted:

Problem with ornithopters is that they have zero power.

On the up side, ornithopters are free. Which is another reason insurance companies wouldn't cover them.

Geeky sentence war?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I have a crappy pay-as-you-go phone. If you call me and it rings out, or is off, you can't leave a message. Does anyone know how I would go about setting up a messaging service and what it would cost me?

(I'm British and my provider is Virgin, if that helps?)

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions, kind goons. Looks like Paypal is probably going to be the way it's done, since there don't seem to be any cheaper alternatives (and plenty of more expensive ones!)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

VagueRant posted:

I have a crappy pay-as-you-go phone. If you call me and it rings out, or is off, you can't leave a message. Does anyone know how I would go about setting up a messaging service and what it would cost me?

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/...MD=BROWSE_TOPIC

KoB
May 1, 2009

hooah posted:

I bought a new-ish car last year, and since moving in June, I've gotten three or four extended warranty offers. Is there any way to get these to stop coming?

I hear this is really good but havent actually used it myself. https://www.paperkarma.com/

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Jeherrin posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, kind goons. Looks like Paypal is probably going to be the way it's done, since there don't seem to be any cheaper alternatives (and plenty of more expensive ones!)

If it's going to be an ongoing situation, have your client pay you with xe.com. It's a bit of a hassle setting it up the first time, but it is absolutely free and they work on very tight exchange rates. They're also crazy fast.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

KoB posted:

I hear this is really good but havent actually used it myself. https://www.paperkarma.com/

Hit or miss results here. It's hard to say what they've actually stopped versus what would have stopped on its own. But some things have definitely not stopped.

Furthermore, they're not super great about stopping stuff that's not self-identified on the envelope (i.e. most of those warranty things just come from a P.O. box -- that won't usually work).

It doesn't hurt to try, as long as you don't get your hopes up too high.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

I changed my home line to a Google Voice number for a one-time $20 transfer fee. Then I bought an Obihai box for ~$35 and use that so use my GV number with a home phone system. A one-time $50 investment and no more monthly fees.

http://www.amazon.com/OBi100-Telephone-Adapter-Service-Bridge/dp/B004LO098O/ref=sr_1_1?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1379354483&sr=1-1

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

VagueRant posted:

If Google voice is available where you are then I would suggest that.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I recently found out that the skin of the penis is actually a mucus membrane, does that mean if someone sneezes on my penis I can get cold or flu from that?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

KoB posted:

That's pretty much all I've used PaperKarma for so far. Like KnifeWrench said, they have a hard time with this sort of mail, since it doesn't really have a company name, and the return address is a P.O. box. It found the most recent one, but the two before that stumped it.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Crankit posted:

I recently found out that the skin of the penis is actually a mucus membrane, does that mean if someone sneezes on my penis I can get cold or flu from that?

I suppose, although you really ought to be more worried about STIs than dick flu.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Maybe he likes getting his dick sneezed on? Don't kink shame. This is a safe space.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I think I'm more confused than when I asked the question, are you saying I can get STIs from a sneeze or that in general STIs are a higher genital risk factor?

I understand that unsafe sex can give you STIs, but if someone sneezed on my dick before I strap it up and then slap it up what happens here?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Crankit posted:

I think I'm more confused than when I asked the question, are you saying I can get STIs from a sneeze or that in general STIs are a higher genital risk factor?

I understand that unsafe sex can give you STIs, but if someone sneezed on my dick before I strap it up and then slap it up what happens here?

According to Wikipedia, the mucus is there to protect you from pathogens, so you're no worse off than someone sneezing on any other part of you. But take that for what you will.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Sir John Falstaff posted:

I make everyone call me Dr. Sir John Falstaff, J.D., Esq.

I feel it helps the riff-raff know their place.

I used to work with a relation of the late Sir Keith English Queen Jones. Kind of a sad story, though. :(

Rakins
Apr 6, 2009

What do you call this cord all I can think of to find an image is xbox power cord but I don't wanna pay that much and I know you can get a cheap one if I knew the right name

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CowGuy posted:

What do you call this cord all I can think of to find an image is xbox power cord but I don't wanna pay that much and I know you can get a cheap one if I knew the right name

http://www.amazon.com/1-5M-2-Slot-Standard-Outlet-Cord/dp/B000J0AON4

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CowGuy posted:

"Figure 8" cord will get you a ton of results.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

CowGuy posted:

C7, according to wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Liath Macha posted:

Here's my stupid/small question:

Which Daily is your avatar from, Denouement?

Sorry mate, don't remember. It must have been one before May of this year, because that's when I got the avatar. Honestly I just skimmed a few episodes until I saw him make a goofy face. Speeding it up and loopy-doopying it makes it look like his vinegar strokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
It's from the beginning of this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tN9qxqCzgeE