Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Trying to remember the name of a 90's PC game, it was a roguelike with ASCII graphics although I remember it had icons for your character and other enemies. The story was about you trying to find your father and you were on some planet other than Earth (I want to say either Mars or Jupiter but I can't be sure it was either of those). In order to descend to the next level, you had to find a lift but the lift's location would reset after a certain number of steps. I keep thinking it was called something along the lines of "To The Depths" but I have had no luck finding anything on google. I played this game on one of those "50 Games on 1 CD" compilations that consisted of freeware and shareware games so this is probably a long shot but I guess this is worth a shot.

EDIT: I was way off on some of those details but I managed to find what I was looking for, the game is called Reaping The Dungeon.

homewrecker fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I'm almost 100 percent sure this has been answered before, but this isn't letting me sleep before I remember it so here goes:

You flew around in things called Moths or something, on a planet that I think was actually a moon, maybe Titan or something? You could scavenge, go bounty hunting, be a pirate. Very bleak planetary surface (90's 3D probably didn't help), you spent a lot of time flying through tunnels to reach other portions of the surface which was mostly littered with buildings. You could reach hangars you got repaired in. Do missions for factions. Might be some form of plot involving aliens at some point, or at least secret weapons presumed to be made by aliens.

Edit: vvvv Got it in one. Yeah that's the one. Thanks a bundle.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 9, 2013

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Hardwar: The Future is Greedy. It was that Blade Runner/Elite type thing.

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005
Way back in the Apple II floppy-disk era, I played a game with Timbuktu in the title. "The Road to Timbuktu" perhaps? You were the coming-of-age child of a merchant family, tasked to visit a king in his faraway palace and bring the fanciest gift you could find along the way. The currency was dinars and you began with... some multiple of 100, between 200 and 600. The graphics were almost on par with the original Oregon Trail, but the game itself was entirely menu-driven.

Every stop had its own items for trade, and for each item the local merchant would request a set amount of dinars or a specific item as payment. The first thing I usually acquired was a plant named curare, which I assumed made good medicine. I ran out of dinars pretty quickly, and nobody ever asked for the few items I managed to pick up. If there was leeway for haggling, my younger self never learned the trick to it. However the game ended, you were scored based on your items and remaining dinars. I quickly realized I could score higher by keeping all my dinars.

I can't tell if this qualified as a children's game, much less an edutainment game. I cannot find anything on the internet to confirm these memories.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I remember playing a game on PC in the 90s. I'm pretty sure it was first person action (maybe rpg?) game where you were a warrior/fighter type guy in this world. The main thing I remember about it is that you could change into a werewolf or something similar, and maybe other things too? I can't remember any enemies or anything but I remember there being a lot of grey stone or something in the first few levels as I don't think I got very far in it, and maybe a hedge maze type area? I've always wanted to know what this game was but I can't remember enough things about it.

And no it's not Altered Beast.

edit: nevermind of course I find it as soon as I post, it was Shadowcaster.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Austin S posted:

Way back in the Apple II floppy-disk era, I played a game with Timbuktu in the title. "The Road to Timbuktu" perhaps? You were the coming-of-age child of a merchant family, tasked to visit a king in his faraway palace and bring the fanciest gift you could find along the way. The currency was dinars and you began with... some multiple of 100, between 200 and 600. The graphics were almost on par with the original Oregon Trail, but the game itself was entirely menu-driven.

I had a search through the TOSEC collection, and found nothing. I'm afraid that you're remembering an educational title that has likely been lost forever due to no one bothering to preserve it.

The only mention I can find of it is in Michelle Breyer's book Ancient Egypt:

Sadly, there are many games by MECC in this boat. :(

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005
That's the one! Shame it was doomed to obscurity and mediocrity.

Speaking of mediocrity, I'm looking for an old Flash game I played through a few years ago. It's a turn-based puzzle/strategy game. You start out as one Goemon-type kid with black spiky hair and a big wooden mallet. He finds himself in some kind of "demon world" and must smack all the enemies on a gridded map without giving them the opportunity to smack him first.

Eventually the Goemon-kid finds his friends. A kimono-wearing girl with a bow and arrow, a dude in full plate armor (who refers to them as his pyjamas) and a fat kid with opaque glasses whose specialty is putting nearby enemies to sleep with his incessant chatter. By clicking any enemy, you could see their attack range. Enemies were stationary, but would immediately attack if you accidentally moved a character (other than the knight) into their attack range - which meant having to start the level over.

The only noteworthy aspect of this game was having all music by Kevin MacLeod (particularly the track Guess Who) and through it, I discovered the Incompetech website.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DOS point and click adventure game from the mid-90s that takes place on a space station. Protag's son dies in a mining accident but an anonymous letter hints that he was actually murdered. Turns out his son was killed because he was gay. The story takes a Ridley Scott Alien twist with a rival Japanese company doing weird poo poo on board and a murderous alien offing people in gruesome fashion.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

al-azad posted:

DOS point and click adventure game from the mid-90s that takes place on a space station. Protag's son dies in a mining accident but an anonymous letter hints that he was actually murdered. Turns out his son was killed because he was gay. The story takes a Ridley Scott Alien twist with a rival Japanese company doing weird poo poo on board and a murderous alien offing people in gruesome fashion.
Orion Conspiracy I believe, it at least fits the unspoilered part. Don't remember the rest happening myself.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/orion-conspiracy

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Forgedbow posted:

Orion Conspiracy I believe, it at least fits the unspoilered part. Don't remember the rest happening myself.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/orion-conspiracy

That would be it, thanks.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I'm trying to remember the name of a PS2 game that may have been ported to the Wii eventually. All I remember is that the art style was loving weird, and it was kind of a first-person...dungeon thing. There were a lot of religious overtones, and undertones. Basically just tones.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a PS2 game that may have been ported to the Wii eventually. All I remember is that the art style was loving weird, and it was kind of a first-person...dungeon thing. There were a lot of religious overtones, and undertones. Basically just tones.

Baroque?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I believe that you are describing Baroque. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baroque_%28video_game%29

e:beaten

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
That's the game! I remember reading about it on The GIA (which is up and running again apparently??).

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
A sega genesis game wherein you are a ghost whom haunts a house and scares the poo poo out of the family by jumping in telescopes etc when they are near them. Then you get transported to a weird cave underworld and there is green slime or something,

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Captain Internet posted:

A sega genesis game wherein you are a ghost whom haunts a house and scares the poo poo out of the family by jumping in telescopes etc when they are near them. Then you get transported to a weird cave underworld and there is green slime or something,

The Haunting Starring Polterguy

odd2k
Jul 18, 2006
I DIDN'T CONTRIBUTE ANYTHING BUT A SHITTY POST SO I GOT THIS SHITTY CUSTOM TITLE!
Here's what I think is a really tough one:

The game was a first person 3d dungeon crawler for Windows 95 (I think), I got it from on one of those demo CDs somewhere around the late 90's. You controlled one character, and could choose from various races/classes at the start, some pretty weird ones like sasquatch/yeti. You started out in the town, with a big door leading into the dungeon. I remember you could tame the mobs inside the dungeon, although they would eventually turn feral again. You could have them whipped in town to increase their tameness. I remember an easily tamable mob called a psuedodragon. I think the stage 1 boss was this huge guy called a slavemasher/slavekeeper or something like that, huge guy with lots of tiny slaves.

All the UI in the game was based on regular Windows form controls, and it looked hilariously awful. I have no idea if this game ever made it past the demo stage, all I know is that I can find no mention of it anywhere on the internet.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

odd2k posted:

Here's what I think is a really tough one:

The game was a first person 3d dungeon crawler for Windows 95 (I think), I got it from on one of those demo CDs somewhere around the late 90's. You controlled one character, and could choose from various races/classes at the start, some pretty weird ones like sasquatch/yeti. You started out in the town, with a big door leading into the dungeon. I remember you could tame the mobs inside the dungeon, although they would eventually turn feral again. You could have them whipped in town to increase their tameness. I remember an easily tamable mob called a psuedodragon. I think the stage 1 boss was this huge guy called a slavemasher/slavekeeper or something like that, huge guy with lots of tiny slaves.

All the UI in the game was based on regular Windows form controls, and it looked hilariously awful. I have no idea if this game ever made it past the demo stage, all I know is that I can find no mention of it anywhere on the internet.

I played this a lot from a shareware CD when I was a kid. It's Mordor: The Depths of Dejenol.

There was a spiritual sequel called Demise: Rise of the Ku'Tan that is clunky as hell but somehow a fun dungeon crawler despite that.

odd2k
Jul 18, 2006
I DIDN'T CONTRIBUTE ANYTHING BUT A SHITTY POST SO I GOT THIS SHITTY CUSTOM TITLE!

a medical mystery posted:

I played this a lot from a shareware CD when I was a kid. It's Mordor: The Depths of Dejenol.

There was a spiritual sequel called Demise: Rise of the Ku'Tan that is clunky as hell but somehow a fun dungeon crawler despite that.

HOLY poo poo! I never imagined I'd get a response to this, the feeling of nostalgia is overpowering! Thank you!

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Here's possibly a tough one:

I can't remember exactly when this game was from but I'm guessing the mid-90s? Possibly Windows 95-era, might be PS1/Saturn too. I don't remember the platform. The one thing I do remember is that you're a robot gardener that plants vegetables in little flowerpots. You could breed two different vegetables (or was it seeds?) in a machine to combine their properties and create mutations to make them bigger, etc. But there was some sort of mechanic where if you deliberately made your vegetables as lovely as possible they'd sell for more?

I'm pretty sure there were vegetable growing contests in it, because I remember one AI-controlled opponent who loving loved pumpkins or something because he'd always submit a pumpkin as his entry even if it was a carrot-growing contest. He'd always be booed off the stage but once it was time for a pumpkin (or whatever vegetable he loved) contest he was drat near unbeatable.

Googling "robot farmer/gardener game" and all permutations thereof hasn't done me too much good, especially since terrible casual farming games have exploded in popularity there's a lot of noise to sift through.

Any ideas?

ed: I think your character/robot had a big wind-up key in his back too, come to think of it.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 10, 2013

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Did Gratuitous Space Battles get a name change from "Star _____"? I'm trying to remember the name of a game I paid for alpha for about a year ago and it seems really similar to GSB.

It's a 2d top-down space battle game.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
It's probably StarSector, which was originally called Starfarer.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

I hope this is the right thread for internet game crap.:ohdear:
First is some dragon raising browser game. I can't really remember the timeframe, but it may have been in the late 90s. You could hatch and raise a dragon and fight other people's dragons in a sidescrolling area type thing. There really wasn't much to it. At some point it added premium accounts, so you could have an ice dragon instead of the basic fire everyone had. I heard it shut down soon after and I haven't been able to find anything about it again.
The second was a space trader/smuggling game from 1997-1999. Might have been a shockwave game. You'd start with a rinky dink little ship, hire a crew and do missions or transport or steal legal and illegal cargo while avoiding IRS ships. It eventually went pay to play and I lost track of it. Just a name would be fine, but if there's a playable version anywhere I'd love to see it.

Pogonodon fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 16, 2013

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Bedshaped posted:

Did Gratuitous Space Battles get a name change from "Star _____"? I'm trying to remember the name of a game I paid for alpha for about a year ago and it seems really similar to GSB.

It's a 2d top-down space battle game.

And the new thread for the patch that just hit is here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570400

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

I played the living crap out of this game at a friends house when I was like 7, it was a top down scrolling shoot 'em up where one player played as a tank and the other as a helicopter blasting the crap out of anything that was unfortunate enough to wander down from the top of the screen. I'm like 90% sure it was for the snes.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 18, 2013

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

a medical mystery posted:

Heck, I think I asked this question a while back. Just as happy to have found out what it was :)

Speaking of shareware discs, are there any good sites that compile those as an archive feature for old magazines? I'd probably have an easier time than going through any of the already mentioned sites based on names and vague memories alone.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 18, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Feeble posted:

I played the living crap out of this game at a friends house when I was like 7, it was a top down scrolling shoot 'em up where one player played as a tank and the other as a helicopter blasting the crap out of anything that was unfortunate enough to wander down from the top of the screen. I'm like 90% sure it was for the snes.

I was about to say Return Fire but no, it's definitely SWIV/Firepower 2000.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

al-azad posted:

I was about to say Return Fire but no, it's definitely SWIV/Firepower 2000.

Holy poo poo :stare:

That's absolutely it! Looked up the box art and some screenshots on GIS and the memories just came flowing back. I figured someone would get it eventually but I didn't expect it to be in under a loving hour! Remembering the name of that game is something that's bothered me for years! Goddamn, first thing in the morning I gotta find a file of that online an fire up an emulator, start drowning in nostalgia. Can't thank you enough!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I've got two games. Both from PC gamer disks in the 90s! (gently caress you coconut monkey)

First was a Myst like puzzle game where you are trapped inside some temple. Most puzzles were inset to the stone walls. Lots of weird symbols and Sun and Moon imagery. One puzzle had to do with phases of the moon.

Second was a turn based strategy game set in a high tech future, I assume published in the wake of SMAC. Grid was hex based. There may have been different factions, but all human. I want to say the actual title sounds kind of like Sins of a Solar Empire. Thats all I can remember.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

mango sentinel posted:

I've got two games. Both from PC gamer disks in the 90s! (gently caress you coconut monkey)

First was a Myst like puzzle game where you are trapped inside some temple. Most puzzles were inset to the stone walls. Lots of weird symbols and Sun and Moon imagery. One puzzle had to do with phases of the moon.

Second was a turn based strategy game set in a high tech future, I assume published in the wake of SMAC. Grid was hex based. There may have been different factions, but all human. I want to say the actual title sounds kind of like Sins of a Solar Empire. Thats all I can remember.

The first might be Qing/Xin, a Myst clone wherein you use moon phases a lot to solve puzzles in the massive tomb of Qin Shi Huang (real guy with the entire replica terracotta army+scale model of all of China built with him).

Oh man, Firepower 2000 is so much fun. Crazy industrial soundtrack for an old SNES game too.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Oh man, Firepower 2000 is so much fun. Crazy industrial soundtrack for an old SNES game too.
I know, right?! I've been having a blast replaying it. I get the feeling this is what made me fall in love with bullet hell games.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

mango sentinel posted:

The obvious title match is "Emperor of the Fading Suns" which meets some of the criteria that you've listed (futuristic, strategy, multiple human factions, hex-based) but fails others (predated SMAC, has aliens).

Does this look familiar?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

GulMadred posted:

The obvious title match is "Emperor of the Fading Suns" which meets some of the criteria that you've listed (futuristic, strategy, multiple human factions, hex-based) but fails others (predated SMAC, has aliens).

Does this look familiar?

Thanks! This is definitely it, but way older and uglier than I remember it being. I guess maybe I went back and played the demo more after getting into smac years later or something. I remember being way more interested in the setting than gameplay though, so it's nice to find out it was based on a whole own and paper setting.

The other game was not Xing. Everything felt vaguely Mayan though not exactly and afaik the whole have was inside this temple. Or at least the demo was.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 19, 2013

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

mango sentinel posted:

Jewels of the Oracle?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

The other game was not Xing. Everything felt vaguely Mayan though not exactly and afaik the whole have was inside this temple. Or at least the demo was.

Could be Inca, or Inca 2, though you didn't mention any shooter segments.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
This is head smacking dumb. The game where you are trapped in a tomb (not temple) is Entombed. More specifically the Windows 95 re-release. I forgot all about that sidebar interface.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 19, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Ok I was trying to think of another game that matched your first description, and now it turns out a) you were thinking of something else and b) now I'm trying to remember this drat game!

I think it was on the Amiga, and it was basically a puzzle game where you'd go from room to room and manipulate things. I think it was set in some kind of circular corridor, around a hub, so you'd move off the side of the screen and it would flip to the next location, and if you kept going you'd end up back at the start. Each screen let you access a room, I think each one might have been themed, but I'm pretty sure the progress you made in one room would give you things you could use in others, so solving the whole thing meant going back and forth. I think the idea was to unlock the middle 'axle' the corridor circled around.

Style-wise I think it was very dark, kind of earthy brown and red colours. It had sort of an otherworldly, oppressive atmosphere, a bit like a cross between a dungeon and the Atlantis bits of Fate of Atlantis. I also have some vague idea it was made by some 'weird' software company, which might mean it was French or something - magazines had a tendency to be all 'whoa so strange these Europeans' when a game came out.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Feeble posted:

My first thought was Silkworm but it appears that that SWIV game is kind of an unofficial sequel.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I bought a game at a garage sale. There was already a save occupied but I started a new game...

NES or maaaayyybe sega genesis/snes first person RPG. You were a young man, I don't remember any other party members, I wandered around a town, went outside, fell into a pit and was in a dungeon. I think I died. I loaded up the more complete save and there was a paper doll for inventory, the character in the existing save had full plate mail.

That's all I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Molybdenum posted:

I bought a game at a garage sale. There was already a save occupied but I started a new game...

NES or maaaayyybe sega genesis/snes first person RPG. You were a young man, I don't remember any other party members, I wandered around a town, went outside, fell into a pit and was in a dungeon. I think I died. I loaded up the more complete save and there was a paper doll for inventory, the character in the existing save had full plate mail.

That's all I remember.

If you think it's NES it's most likely Dungeon Magic.