Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

EvilHawk posted:

I don't think that Theo aged 8 really wrote that somehow :colbert:

He is a naughty man for having a wee next to that lady, I know you ain't sposed to have your willy out cos I got shouted at once for having it out in P.E. Can I have a shirt now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe
Its a PREMIER LEAGUE SATURDAY.

1. We have this wonderful new system that's 99.9999999999999% certain when a goal is scored and you want to overrule it. Accept its decision unless you want to be reffing sunday league for the next fifty years (or are really, really sure).
2. Punch the striker in the face, red card for unsporting behaviour/bringing the game into disrepute.
3. This has been done before, right? Second yellow -> red, penalty, new keeper. Though Hackett is probably going to say IDFK inside the box.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

1. Trust in your new robot overlord.
2. Caution and a yellow for unsporting behaviour.
3. Indirect free kick to the opposition.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

vuohiliitto posted:

1. Trust in your new robot overlord.
2. Caution and a yellow for unsporting behaviour.
3. Indirect free kick to the opposition.

This, plus change the penalty to an indirect free kick to the defense. You can change your mind on a decision at any point before the ball is back in play.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
1. overrule the robot

2. edit: actually no, peno is given so show him a yellow and get on with it. pretty sure the ref can't change his mind unless another official tells him he's made the wrong decision. (I'm usually wrong)

3. offski, ifk

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 14, 2013

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
1. Trust the system
2. Continue with the penalty but mention it in your match report
3. Second yellow, red card. Indirect free kick

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

1. You're the ref, give the goal if you've seen the ball cross the line.

2. Try to ascertain that the player made what is colloquially known as joke.

3. No problem there, the keeper just did what he's supposed to (he is allowed to save terrible backpasses like those with his hands)

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

1. There are only two possible outcomes if you overrule the robot: 99.99% you just hosed yourself out of a career, 0.01% you're right and the hero of the day, which everyone will forget the next time you gently caress up. Don't overrule the robot.

2. Ball's not in play yet, so give him a yellow for diving, a second yellow (thus red) for being a cheeky bastard about it, IFK to the defense.

3. It was a deliberate back pass, so second yellow (thus red) to the keeper, IFK to the attacking team.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
1.) Overrule Hawk-Eye, YOU ARE THE REF

2.) It's part of the game, he could have still been fouled and is loving with you. Play on and hope he misses.

3.) A pass-back to a keeper is IDFK but not yellow for deliberate handling, mentioned directly in the FIFA laws. Also, saving a mistake that could have been an own goal is not a Goal Scoring Opportunity for an attacker, so no red. Just an IDFK inside the box.

Bio-Hazard fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 16, 2013

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.

Keith Hackett posted:

1) Accept the decision: it's not a goal. Hawk-Eye has been through some incredibly stringent testing, and the system wouldn't have been given the go-ahead by the Premier League if it wasn't 100% foolproof. The hardware, using data from seven cameras around each goal, sends a signal to the referee, without fail, only when the ball crosses the goalline, either in the air or on the ground. As in other sports, Hawk-Eye's decision is final and referees need to accept it, even when they have their doubts. Jonathan Clarke wins the shirt.

2) This is obviously unsporting behaviour. Caution the player for his comments and then signal for the penalty to be taken. You would not change your decision to award the kick, or to punish him for diving, based on what he whispers. Thanks to Dan Hawthorn.

3) Stop play and award an indirect free kick to the attacking team. The keeper is allowed to handle the ball inside his own penalty area – his only offence here is playing the ball from the back pass. And, because the incident happened inside the six-yard box, make sure the free kick is taken from the six-yard line parallel to the goalline. Thanks to Paul Burke.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Why wouldn't you change your decision based on what he, the offender, says?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think the idea is that you should always trust your own instincts because players are lying shits. Similar to how after every single throw-in both players will throw their hands in the air to try and convince the refs it was off the other player, and every single penalty gets a crowd of players protesting around the ref. It never changes his mind.

Imagine if the player is just having a joke and loving with you, maybe to make you doubt your decisions later in the game, and you send him off and rescind the penalty. Then the game finishes and you see a TV replay that shows he was actually fouled and didn't dive. He's an idiot, yeah, but you're a bigger idiot for overruling your own judgment based on something that no one else heard and no TV cameras picked up. Every ref has been fooled by a dive at some point. Not every ref has literally taken back their own decision (a game-changing decision at that) because a player says something stupid.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
The difference between all your examples and the one in YATR is that when someone says their opponent did something it's obvious that you ignore whatever they say forever. If someone says that THEY did something and got away with it then perhaps they actually did it.

I can't even imagine a situation where a player legitimately tripped then saying "can't believe you bought that dive" to the ref. If they did, they and their team deserve whatever comes their way including losing a pen.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
There have been instances of Robbie Fowler and maybe Arshavin going down without contact, a penalty being given and them flat out telling the ref that it wasn't a foul and it shouldn't be given. The ref has to stand by his decision though.

e:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUrcX6kpkU0

AVBrafaDiMatteo
Nov 30, 2009
Bad ads nab top cop. Also, The Project Pt. II.

When all else fails, cash in your Ruples for new foreign myths.
This Mark Halsey autobiography sounds incredibly tasty, and is already serving up some gems...I'm really looking forward to a Select Group member's "gently caress it, I'm just going to tell it like it is" book, as I've got no doubt at all that it's just an absolute circus top to bottom.

I took the plunge and dropped a pound to get all the content I can before I cancel this lovely Sun+ thing. These articles are excellent though, and I actually expect some fallout from them. When this book comes out, I'll do a cover to cover right away.

ADDED TIME: Surviving cancer, death threats and the Premier League, by Mark Halsey with Ian Ridley

(Also seems to be called "The Referee: Surviving Cancer......."

Only link I can find so far is an Amazon coming soon page that looks incomplete. The most recent article in the Sun?

quote:

"Why do people want us to die?"
That was my daughter's question after hearing sick fans' online abuse

If anybody knows when and where to get this book, please do share.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o
I see the hardback version of the book at http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Referee-Mark-Halsey/9780755364381 (this place is a subsidiary of amazon.co.uk and do free worldwide delivery) but it says that it isn't out until 1 November. They also usually do 10% off promotions at times so if one comes up I'll send a link across.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
For (2), absolutely never change your mind on the penalty just because of what the player says. Gamesmanship like this happens all the time, and players will say it just to wind up their opponents too. I completely disagree with the caution in this instance though. I'd take it as a joke and laugh. You're just making yourself look busy as a referee by getting a card out for that.

(Full disclose: I'm a referee at semi-pro level in the UK).

AVBrafaDiMatteo
Nov 30, 2009

Mewcenary posted:

For (2), absolutely never change your mind on the penalty just because of what the player says. Gamesmanship like this happens all the time, and players will say it just to wind up their opponents too. I completely disagree with the caution in this instance though. I'd take it as a joke and laugh. You're just making yourself look busy as a referee by getting a card out for that.

(Full disclose: I'm a referee at semi-pro level in the UK).

Yeah, even here in our lovely USSF training classes they tell you that you cannot, ever, EVER, make a call and then change your mind (penalty, goal/no goal, card, etc.). The angry old guy that was my instructor used the term "eating humble pie" when describing what you do when you've made a laughably bad call and realize your mistake after you've pointed to the spot and lined up the PK.

As an aside, I'm on the fence right now about going back out for another year of bumblebee man. My record, unfortunately, is poo poo...the assignor and I both were put on recorded disciplinary action after the fight game, so I'd likely be starting with AR assignments for teenagers. My marks on the assessments I've had were good, but I feel like that game will haunt my ref career for the indefinite future...aka "until I can get the hell out of Phoenix."

U15 AR assignments for the love of the game and $20/hr to keep myself fit.....or looking into a coaching license and volunteering my time for some inner city kids.......I'm not ready to just call it quite yet.

In all seriousness, part of me feels like this book that may come out soon and reveal how it really is (or how it is through the eyes of a disgrunted, angry ex-ref who was harassed out of the position). Seeing the crazy bullshit that happens even in the Select Group could motivate me to keep at it.

Now that I think of it - have any of you all been put on some type of probation or poo poo list (deserved or not) and gotten past it and made it ancient history? If so, how long did it take before things were "normal" again?

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004

AVBrafaDiMatteo posted:

Yeah, even here in our lovely USSF training classes they tell you that you cannot, ever, EVER, make a call and then change your mind (penalty, goal/no goal, card, etc.). The angry old guy that was my instructor used the term "eating humble pie" when describing what you do when you've made a laughably bad call and realize your mistake after you've pointed to the spot and lined up the PK.

I'd disagree with this advice. If you make a wrong call _and you know it yourself_ then you absolutely should change your mind prior to the restart of play. It's about credibility and holding up your hands to the mistake. Proceeding out of spite is not a good idea: YOU know you were wrong, and the players will know it as well.

That said, I'm struggling to think of situations when this obviously might apply.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mewcenary posted:

I'd disagree with this advice. If you make a wrong call _and you know it yourself_ then you absolutely should change your mind prior to the restart of play. It's about credibility and holding up your hands to the mistake. Proceeding out of spite is not a good idea: YOU know you were wrong, and the players will know it as well.

That said, I'm struggling to think of situations when this obviously might apply.

The situation I can think of would be something like 'you see a foul from a distance and call it as a dive, but as you're approaching the site you see that the diving player is actually bleeding from the challenge, and it very obviously must have been a bad challenge instead'.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Law 5 posted:

The referee may only change a decision on realising that it is incorrect or, at his discretion, on the advice of an assistant referee or the fourth official, provided that he has not restarted play or terminated the match.

If the referee makes a call and then thinks it's wrong, he can change it. Also the Assistants may/may not be involved in that. Typically, that I can think of anyway, it's something like just after half time and ball goes out for white throw, you think white throw, but you point blue throw because that would have been white throw before the break. Whoops. Just go ahead and change direction, have a little laugh with the player by you, and let the game go on. Don't get an obviously wrong call that you know is wrong wrong twice by refusing to change it**. In a more extreme situation, if you show a guy yellow then red for 2C, and then realize "Nope. That was his twin brother that got the first one" you dang well better reverse that. Happened to a referee at a Euro or WC recently didn't it? If it wasn't that, I know that one guy to take back a red card. If a FIFA referee can mess it up and then change his mind, so can we.

Someone brought up Fowler's incident, but I know I've also seen a video of an incident where the referee, after being told by the player that he slipped and fell (had been raining IIRC), changed the penalty to...well, I don't remember. I want to say he did IFK coming out, but part of me thinks "Wouldn't it have been a drop ball for inadvertant whistle?" I'll have to go find the video after work.

(** I'll add in the cavaet that if you are the only person in the world who realizes you made the wrong call but everyone is ready to move on with the call you did make, especially at younger age levels, consider just moving on with the game. That statement is more for getting the "Moment of Truth" wrong)

AVBrafaDiMatteo posted:

]As an aside, I'm on the fence right now about going back out for another year of bumblebee man. My record, unfortunately, is poo poo...the assignor and I both were put on recorded disciplinary action after the fight game, so I'd likely be starting with AR assignments for teenagers. My marks on the assessments I've had were good, but I feel like that game will haunt my ref career for the indefinite future...aka "until I can get the hell out of Phoenix."

U15 AR assignments for the love of the game and $20/hr to keep myself fit.....or looking into a coaching license and volunteering my time for some inner city kids.......I'm not ready to just call it quite yet....

I'd encourage you to come back out for another year though. It sounds like you aren't tired of the job itself but the politics surrounding it. That can get rough but it's not the end all/be all. Regimes change, time moves on, people forget. Doing U15 ARs is not the end of the world. There are a lot of referees who do those games for years because there's not much of an adult game to move up to but there are tons of youth games and so they vet guys in the upper teenage years longer. I'm one of those. Arkansas is not what you'd call a hotbed of soccer. We have three nationals now and a good number of states to take up the majority of the adult games. Younger guys are getting used more and more now, which will be good for the program, but until recently it was a hard ask to break into it. Those youth games help you build the base for everything else. Yes, once you start getting into adult games and semi-pro, etc etc, it's a completely different beast, but the toolbox translates well. Don't be so fast to climb the ladder that you forget to stop and enjoy the level you are at now. Plus the federation needs you. You sound like you actually care about what you are doing and that it's not a spending money for high school/beer money for adults job for you. Need as many folks with that attitude as we can get for as long as we can get them. Even if you end up transitioning out of it, that attitude could be good as a mentor for a local club. Maybe you decide to hang it up, but look into taking an assignor course/being a volunteer for a club nearby to help produce new referees who will treat the game with the respect it deserves.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/19/jose-mourinho-chelsea

1. You didn't see him take his shirt off, so tell him to put it back on and get back to his half. Sound snippy.
2. At the very least, if a team refuses to play, you have to abandon anyway. Red card to the manager, abandon, let the league sort it out.
3. Yellow to the defender, PK. Don't think you can claim the keeper fouled the striker. Don't think you can call it DOGSO on the defender, since the striker was falling down anyway. Maybe something dumb like an indirect free kick.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Here's the image for lazy people:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

1. Tell striker to put his shirt back on, leave it at that. Warn team that stripping their team mates is not acceptable.
2. Red card to manager and abandon game.
3. Yellow to defender, penalty kick.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

3. Yellow to defender, penalty kick.

DOGSO -> red.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Edmund Honda posted:

DOGSO -> red.

The striker was tripping over the keeper's legs anyway.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Tunga posted:

Here's the image for lazy people:

1. Warn the team. Check out his abs. Don't do anything else.
2. Uh, can you let the substituting team pick a new sub? If so, do that and make a note in your match report. If not, send the manager to the stands and abandon the game.
3. Red to whoever you think was most culpable, yellow to the other one. Penalty.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

blue footed boobie posted:

1. Warn the team. Check out his abs. Don't do anything else.
2. Uh, can you let the substituting team pick a new sub? If so, do that and make a note in your match report. If not, send the manager to the stands and abandon the game.
3. Red to whoever you think was most culpable, yellow to the other one. Penalty.

2. it says 'last remaining' sub so I assume they mean the last player they've got, rather than 3rd sub. Regardless, send the manager off and put it in your match report. Play on!

1. & 3. send everyone off

AVBrafaDiMatteo
Nov 30, 2009

1. Warn team, talk to captain, hope it's somebody sexy and European.
2. I have a weird feeling this won't be the answer Hackett uses, but I'd say red card manager and terminate match (isn't there a difference between terminating a match and abandoning a match?), file report while running to your car.
3. Wording seems to make it clear that the defender was the only one blatantly going for the foul, so I'd say red for DOGSO, PK. Don't like ambiguous description of the scenario, but what else is new.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
1) Hope to gently caress your linesman saw who took it off. If not you can't do poo poo since you aren't certain. Yellow card the entire opposition team who are probably swarming you at this point.

2) Send the manager off. Speak to the other manager, explain that you are continuing the game but you will be noting the incident in your match report (any competent league will award his team a 3-0 win)

3) Red card for the defender for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity, since his foul seems more obvious than the goalkeeper's.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
1. Make sure everyone sees you give him a talking to, let it go, write it in the report.

2. Send manager off, try to talk some sense onto the other coach, maybe through the captains. Abandon game if he refuses to play further, write it in the report.

3. The attacker doesn't have a Goal Scoring Opportunity, since he's falling. But it's still a foul and reckless challenge. Yellow for the defender, and a PK.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Hackett sez:

quote:

1) You need to base your decisions on what you or your colleagues have observed – and in this case you did not see the player himself remove his shirt. So call him and his captain together, and inform them both, via a public rebuke, that the behaviour is unacceptable. Make it clear that if there is a repeat, whoever scored the goal will be cautioned. Restart with a kick-off.

2) Quickly control the situation. First, send the home manager from the technical area and tell him he will be reported for his actions. Second, inform the away manager that there are no grounds to abandon the game, but that the incident will be included in your report – authorities may later decide to award his side three points or order a replay. Then, with order restored, play out the remainder of the match.

3) As the two fouls occur simultaneously, you have a choice here. First signal for a penalty, then deal with the offenders. Both players are guilty of denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity, but it was only one opportunity – one goal denied – so only one player is sent off. And, as the defender's challenge was clearly reckless, while the keeper may have been unlucky, the defender is the one who merits the red card most.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Gonna go ahead and claim victory this week.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
What happened to the ref?

texas chili bowl
Apr 13, 2008

Ankles and beards are serious business

Seltzer posted:

What happened to the ref?

A man can only throw so many punches.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I don't know what to believe, either the OP gave up on the thread or the paper gave up on finding new ways for players to assault each other in an ambiguous manners.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The paper didn't give up:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/series/you-are-the-ref

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
And here's the latest: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/12/you-are-the-ref-paul-trevillion

1) Seems pretty obviously an outside agent. Disallow the goal, drop ball.
2) Didn't see it? Can't give a red. Can't use a replay to influence the decision anyway. Stick with the foul call.
3) No goal. Yellow to the striker. Claim ignorance.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

CPColin posted:

And here's the latest: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/12/you-are-the-ref-paul-trevillion

1) Seems pretty obviously an outside agent. Disallow the goal, drop ball.
2) Didn't see it? Can't give a red. Can't use a replay to influence the decision anyway. Stick with the foul call.
3) No goal. Yellow to the striker. Claim ignorance.

I'm curious to how you get yellow to the striker on #3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

1. No goal. Outside interference. Wait for the smoke to clear and then enjoy the hilarity of restarting with a drop ball in the 6 yard box.

2. Ignore the physio and make the decision based on your own judgement. If the team's staff and players don't calm down, start yellowing players and dismissing staff members until they get the message.

3. Not sure? Then it's no goal. Seems to indicate that you ARE sure about it hitting the striker's hand, so give that. I think you technically should yellow the striker here but I wouldn't, no need to add to what will already be a massive uproar.

• Locked thread