Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

Although Team Competent took an actually impressive shot at him back on the first floor.

When was that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Slime posted:

Oh, it's an eyeland.

And the plot is moving forward too, I guess.

The best bit was the eyeland though.

Haha yeah I did a doubletake when I got to that page.

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012

Slime posted:

Oh, it's an eyeland.

And the plot is moving forward too, I guess.

The best bit was the eyeland though.

Knowing this series, Lets just hope it doesn't blink.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

if Cassano and Horyang each have an arm, and Beta has both legs, then does bamm have the spine/nervous system (torso?) is emile the head?... getting their frankenstein on I think

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Now I'm going to be incredibly disappointed if we never get a One Piece-style gattai out of them.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
I doubt FUG will bring in rankers because it would be overkill Baam's regular friends couldn't possibly win against, and I am certain the writer has no intention of killing off the regular cast he has been working on since the comic started only to reboot the story in the next series part. So the fights will be regular versus regular where Baam's friends have a chance to survive. If FUG rankers do get involved then other rankers set on protecting Baam and his friends will serendipitously show up to fight them.

I am looking forward to FUG losing because, my god, are they an insufferable bunch of assholes.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Simstim posted:

I doubt FUG will bring in rankers because it would be overkill Baam's regular friends couldn't possibly win against, and I am certain the writer has no intention of killing off the regular cast he has been working on since the comic started only to reboot the story in the next series part. So the fights will be regular versus regular where Baam's friends have a chance to survive. If FUG rankers do get involved then other rankers set on protecting Baam and his friends will serendipitously show up to fight them.

I am looking forward to FUG losing because, my god, are they an insufferable bunch of assholes.

Well considering the totalitarian government in place and the stratified living conditions, I can kind of understand FUG taking extreme measures and being ruthless to achieve their ends in attempting to overthrow Zahard. v:shobon:v Like for sure they're a bunch of jerks on the whole who could use a shounen punch or two to the face, but yeah nothing really suggests Zahards regime is any better.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Except their reason doesn't seem to be that noble.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
Hasn't it already been stated somewhere in the story that FUG is primarily made up of three groups: vengeful people with a grudge against the ten families, people who want to bring down the ten families so that they can be more powerful themselves, and people who honestly just don't like the way the tower is run?

Basically, the "noble" chunk is probably only like 1/3 of FUG. The other 2/3 are assholes.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Well considering the totalitarian government in place and the stratified living conditions, I can kind of understand FUG taking extreme measures and being ruthless to achieve their ends in attempting to overthrow Zahard. v:shobon:v Like for sure they're a bunch of jerks on the whole who could use a shounen punch or two to the face, but yeah nothing really suggests Zahards regime is any better.

Yeah, I'm sure Zahard's forces are just as bad or worse and FUG members have their unique reasons for doing what they do. They are still jerks though, and I am looking forward to them getting their comeuppance. Viole and friends don't have to align themselves with either organization. Wing Tree is another alternative and I expect Viole will end of with them at some point. And there are potentially other alternatives still.

I'm thinking Enryu might be another alternative, maybe Enryu killed the guardian on that floor because he refused to play "the game" by their rules, recognizing the guardians as the grand puppet masters of the tower climb.

And ultimately, I think Viole will end up becoming a top 5 high ranker like the other irregulars and choose his own destiny, most likely having to do with his desire to protect his friends from suffering.

It seems to me that all of the Top irregulars have choosen a different answer to the question of the tower.
Zahard chose to co-opt what the gaurdians are doing to moderate its effects on people.
Enryu chose to be non-copperative and refuses to even play the game any longer and turned into a hermit.
Urek wants to break free from the tower entirely.
And I suspect Phantaminum has continued his upward climb of the tower to reach the absolute top of the thing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Enryu killed a guardian to prove they weren't immortal beings I think.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Whole lotta feels in this chapters. Glad we actually got the meeting between them instead of Viole barely making it away. Bit sad we don't get to see what Leesoo and crew have to say about Baam == Viole. Can't have everything I guess.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Novick is a pretty cool guy.

vvv I thought Ran and Novick were only on the FUG team because they were strong-armed into it. I'm not sure they even care about what FUG is doing. v:shobon:v

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 16, 2013

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I feel like Novick is just plain against the whole turning Baam into an emotionless monster thing.

Like, I think he wants Baam to become the slayer that FUG needs, but would rather whoever becomes the slayer do so because they also dislike Zahard's way of doing things. Not because they were manipulated.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Shugojin posted:

I feel like Novick is just plain against the whole turning Baam into an emotionless monster thing.

Like, I think he wants Baam to become the slayer that FUG needs, but would rather whoever becomes the slayer do so because they also dislike Zahard's way of doing things. Not because they were manipulated.

Are you mistaking Novick for the high ranker who trained Baam? Novick is one of Koon's teammates that was forced into becoming part of the team.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Sleepy Owl posted:

Novick is a pretty cool guy.

vvv I thought Ran and Novick were only on the FUG team because they were strong-armed into it. I'm not sure they even care about what FUG is doing. v:shobon:v

You're right. The only reason they're even alive is because Viole insisted they join him in Team FUG for the last couple floors. Really hoping nothing happens to them. They're definitely a great pair to read about.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

RatHat posted:

Are you mistaking Novick for the high ranker who trained Baam? Novick is one of Koon's teammates that was forced into becoming part of the team.

Yes. Yes I am.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

Shugojin posted:

Yes. Yes I am.

Because of this I looked them both up on the TOG wiki again. Both Novik and Baam's teacher are part of the Ha family (or it's branches) if that makes you feel better.

Hirethor fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 16, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Each of the 10 families appear to have some defining feature. The Ha family has black hair and red eyes, Koon family has white/silver hair and blue eyes, ect.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Safe and Secure! posted:

When was that?

Back when the first floor administrator slipped Koon the right answer to the doors test, because he knew Koon wouldn't trust an answer he didn't reach himself.

Granted, that was just as much an honest test (since the test itself would ordinarily be too easy for him) as it was an attempt to kill him.

Also, Ran and Novick can't die, because Ran x Anak may as well be written in bling text over every scene they have together.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Hodgepodge posted:

Back when the first floor administrator slipped Koon the right answer to the doors test, because he knew Koon wouldn't trust an answer he didn't reach himself.

Granted, that was just as much an honest test (since the test itself would ordinarily be too easy for him) as it was an attempt to kill him.

Also, Ran and Novick can't die, because Ran x Anak may as well be written in bling text over every scene they have together.

The way I understood it, that wasn't directed at Koon specifically- everybody was given the right answer before they went in.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
No, I think it was explained as specifically a problem for Koon, based on his psychology and meant to be overcome only if he had befriended people who think differently than he does.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Hodgepodge posted:

No, I think it was explained as specifically a problem for Koon, based on his psychology and meant to be overcome only if he had befriended people who think differently than he does.

Here we go:

The was given to everyone, explicitly, but whether it was a hint or a trap depended on the listener's psychology. Koon falls into the latter camp, but I don't think there's anything here that indicates it was designed specifically to take him out.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I didn't realize that the 'bong bong' was actually the 'secret item' that Androssi won, but that's a pretty drat useful power to have up your sleeve.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
ManGator done hosed it up. Hwa Ryun explained to Koon (and presumably Rak) that their bet (her bet with the other FUG faction) was only in play provided they don't reveal that Viole = Baam or that Koon = alive. Gator just said Viole = Baam with Androssi around, which is why Reflejo can now safely kill Viole's team without backlash from within FUG (what karaka wanted him to do from the beginning); the bet is off and Viole's team can only hope to get Viole if they do so by force.

I don't think Reflejo was talking about killing Baam's team, really, because that would make no sense, at least not at this point. Sure, might need to kill them all if Androssi squeals and they really want nobody to know Viole = Baam, but she's unlikely to do so if she really plans on being with him ever given Baam = irregular = zahard.initKillSequence(). And they can clean her and her team up later anyway!

No, at the moment I think FUG is only going to attempt to kill Viole's team (Wangnan and company) and whoever attempts to join Baam in mutiny during the tournament (Novick, Ran, etc.). But hey, it's essentially, in practice, a tournament to the death so they might just kill people in-tournament because of that? Wangnan is 100% safe though since FUG seems to want him alive for some plot or something. Or, well, one faction of FUG seems to want him alive for some plot or something...

As for the FUG/Zahard discussion I think the intended point the author has been building toward is that the current regime is horrible but has some good people in it (Androssi, Yuri, Koon, Yihwa, Laure, etc.), FUG has good points but in the end is just as horrible, Wing Tree's general neutrality is horrible beyond Urek Mazino giving no fucks and in the end Wangnan/Baam and all of the good people from each faction will need to make their own new faction that isn't horrible if they actually want to change the tower.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
Ah, I just remembered the "poison" metaphor and not that it applied to other characters. I guess it was just part of the test proper then.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Decus posted:

ManGator done hosed it up. Hwa Ryun explained to Koon (and presumably Rak) that their bet (her bet with the other FUG faction) was only in play provided they don't reveal that Viole = Baam or that Koon = alive. Gator just said Viole = Baam with Androssi around, which is why Reflejo can now safely kill Viole's team without backlash from within FUG (what karaka wanted him to do from the beginning); the bet is off and Viole's team can only hope to get Viole if they do so by force.

Counterpoint: we all want to see FUG get hosed up anyway and FUG isn't exactly trustworthy enough to just leave well enough alone

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
Weekly Fix: http://mngacow.com/tower-of-god/S02-81/2/

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Sad that Androssi didn't tell Leesoo, or that we didn't get to see what Gator said to her. Ah well.

Looks like the developing battle could be pretty interesting.

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012
Why is the last picture of Viole in this chapter put me in mind of a puppy being resigned to be hit by a car? :ohdear:

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I like how this manwha lets him genre shift at will via game rules. Survival Games are always fun! Have to wonder who Koon will have Wangnan summon though. Akraptor seems too obvious to be right.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
Koon said he was putting out Wagnan to save on points so it wouldn't surprise me if he meant to pull in a superstar from outside their team. I could see it being someone like that one eyed fisherman since he's been hanging around the team lately, and he seems like a Chekov's gun since he hasn't really done anything yet despite showing up constantly.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah I'm guessing him or Quatro.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Those seem likely choices, but part of me wants to say the only reason he's keeping it a secret from Wangnan is to not destroy his confidence before he tells him to summon Prince or Hellion or Goseng just to make it 2 vs. 2 against the midgets. Less time for Wangnan to waste arguing with him over such an order if he gives it while he's already at the summoning station. That or the author really is just having him keep it a secret to add suspense for the reader.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Leesoo repping the saints with his lighthouse color scheme.

Presteign
Aug 8, 2004
consent is overrated

FYI, no chapter this week.

quote:

10월 7일 연재 재개 예정입니다
No reason given. Hopefully SIU is okay.

EDIT: SIU's sick, been vomiting all week, and had to go to the hospital. He still managed to finish the chapter, but decided his illness had hurt the quality and didn't send it in. Hopes to get better and have the chapter ready next week.

Presteign fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 29, 2013

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

http://mngacow.com/tower-of-god/s02-82/?all

No chapter next week either.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Well at least that amounts to a slightly more restful break than the hospital.

Also two weeks from now :f5:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Baam is worth a hundred Wangnans!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Everybody's scheming something.

So Mad Dog is like taking the blood of some of the higher up families, i.e. Zahard or whatever, and infusing them in some host? Wonder if that'll lead to anything specific, or just regular old power ups.