Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Sascha's been so stupid for so long that this doesn't even faze me.

I'd also fully expect this from Raymond Watts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Halloween Jack posted:

That's exactly what I said, and apparently she did. She's a tiny woman, so being alone backstage (with guys who think it's funny to put violence against transgender women in their video) was not her idea of a good time. Apparently, if you're a makeup artist, people assume you're aroused by the allure of hard drugs.

Welp. I hadn't heard of Faderhead until I saw them live this past Friday, and now I feel guilty for thinking they were rad. :smith: I already can't stand Combichrist, and I enjoyed the first part of Nachtmare's set before they got weird with the sexism and poo poo. Is there anyone making that style of music that doesn't have serious issues, or is this just not the right scene for that.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
More specifically drag queens. And the Faderhead guy also beats up a stereotypically black street criminal and a homeless man. So yeah. He was going for the retro beat 'em up aesthetic ala Streets of Rage but still.

I thought the video was offensive but it didn't have much bite, to be honest, because it was mercilessly stupid.

*Faderhead guy needs booze/cocaine/his dick sucked*

"I need to get to the club!"

*shows up at club/sees drag queens."

"I'm at the wrong club!"

*punches drag queens*

Edit: He'd really hate my town's goth club because it has drag nights every week.

DeusExMachinima posted:

FH is brainless club music (and that's all it's trying to be) but that's not how drag even works.
It's supposed to be "eww gross."

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 9, 2013

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

ANAmal.net posted:

Welp. I hadn't heard of Faderhead until I saw them live this past Friday, and now I feel guilty for thinking they were rad. :smith: I already can't stand Combichrist, and I enjoyed the first part of Nachtmare's set before they got weird with the sexism and poo poo. Is there anyone making that style of music that doesn't have serious issues, or is this just not the right scene for that.

Well Wagner was a poo poo but he made some good music. How have you not heard "Dirtygrrrls/Dirtybois" eleventy thousand times like the rest of us? I want to know your secret.

Some people think that this kind of poo poo is happening because brostep fratboys are invading our scene, but I think that's dishonest: industrial music fandom has always included a lot of FedorasofOKCupid white guys who don't give a gently caress for progressive politics and take the militaristic power fantasies seriously.

VVV Edit: I forgot that they were drag queens and not transgender women. I doubt Faderdude knows the difference.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 9, 2013

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Halloween Jack posted:

guys who think it's funny to put violence against transgender women in their video

goonhyperbole.txt

FH is brainless club music (and that's all it's trying to be) but that's not how drag even works. e: do people really think FH really would hate seeing drag at a goth/industrial club because of a music video? How would you ever be able to go to scene clubs at all? I can't throw a Front 242 EP without hitting someone in drag, usually.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 9, 2013

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

Well Wagner was a poo poo but he made some good music. How have you not heard "Dirtygrrrls/Dirtybois" eleventy thousand times like the rest of us? I want to know your secret.

Some people think that this kind of poo poo is happening because brostep fratboys are invading our scene, but I think that's dishonest: industrial music fandom has always included a lot of FedorasofOKCupid white guys who don't give a gently caress for progressive politics and take the militaristic power fantasies seriously.

VVV Edit: I forgot that they were drag queens and not transgender women. I doubt Faderdude knows the difference.

Honestly I only avoided it by getting out of industrial music for like ten years, until I started dating a girl who's super into it and kind of pulled me back in. I don't even know who most of the bands are anymore, but everyone just likes to sing about women being good places to jam either your dick or your fist. That said, it's not a problem unique to industrial (objectifying women is even more prevalent in hip-hop, but at least that imagery isn't so relentlessly violent), just something I didn't notice before that really bothers me now. I just want to jump around like an idiot to harsh mechanical sounds, and feel old when the music's too loud, not feel guilty about the lyrics, damnit.

I mean I know a lot of the older stuff was deliberately hyper-aggressive and used a ton of military imagery/costumes as part of that gimmick (I think probably half the bands I saw at Triton last weekend had the singer in a flak jacket or bullet-proof vest), but I don't remember it being quite as centered around sexual violence. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention before, but it really bothers me that I can't listen to some of these bands because they only sing about their terrible opinions.

Should I just stick to instrumental acts and/or people who sing in languages I don't speak.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think we might be overstating the problem with sexual violence because I've only seen it with a couple bands: Combichrist, Nachtmahr, Faderhead and Suicide Commando.

These are also some of the most popular bands, however. That's a depressing thought.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 9, 2013

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Omi-Polari posted:

I think we might be overstating the problem with sexual violence because I've only seen it with a couple bands: Combichrist, Nachtmahr, Faderhead and Suicide Commando. These are also some of the most popular bands, however.
I agree. It's not that everyone's a fuckhead, just some fuckheads making a lot of money.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

ANAmal.net posted:

Should I just stick to instrumental acts and/or people who sing in languages I don't speak.

Nope, because do you want to inadvertently monetarily support assholes who have awful opinions? It's not much better than intentionally doing it.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Or support bands that people erroneously think are assholes, like Feindflug. That's my bag.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Baby Sathanas posted:

Or support bands that people erroneously think are assholes, like Feindflug. That's my bag.

Feindflug rule and need to release something because it's been kind of a long while and they're better than almost every other band in the scene. I remember hearing Leitbild on some industrial internet radio show in about 1999 or 2000 and being completely blown away since it sounded like nothing else I'd heard.

I have no idea how they'll top Volk Und Armee, but I really hope they do some day.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Halloween Jack posted:

How have you not heard "Dirtygrrrls/Dirtybois" eleventy thousand times like the rest of us? I want to know your secret.
This thread was my first exposure to Faderhead too. I did it by listening to music in these genres that 99% of the time don't have lyrics and not going to industrial clubs with any sort of DJ (because of the mentioned pretty people with uniform fetishes pretending trance/eurohouse from 25 years back is industrial if you dress it up in eyeliner). It's pretty easy to do, at least in the US. :downs: A much more impressive feat is not knowing what FUN or Katy Perry sounds like. *buries head in sand*

Just realized that the last time I listened to Feindflug was 1999.

edit: Eagerly awaiting Faderhead trip report.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 9, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I've never listened to Feindflug. Now I just listened to Volk Und Armee while catching up on work and now I feel like we should launch a full-scale cruise missile assault on Syria. Does that mean the Feindflug is working?

I guess the point is really that Feindflug is saying those things are horrible things. I think the point is that we should reflect and think about war and its consequences.

Edit: Hipsters own industrial music now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1-Zl6PGjKc

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 9, 2013

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Feindflugs band motto that's on all their merch is "use your brain and think about it" so if it made you think then it did it's job admirably.

They've been one of my all time favourites since I got into the genre, and I'm always sad every year they go without releasing something new.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

My problem with Feindflug is that they're just SO extremely open for misinterpretation because they provide no context or any kind of commentary for the imagery they use (unless you read their interviews, I guess? I admit I haven't). It's just "look at these things that exist", which, I guess, is somewhat valuable in and of itself - in the same way as a history lesson is. But, since there's neither an obvious nor an obscure commentary on the imagery they utilize, it's hard for me to tell how they actually differ from the real assholes. The motto "Use your brain and think about it" doesn't help at all, since it's something real fascists could also say. For all I know, they could be the exact same as Thomas Rainer who also vehemently denies being an rear end in a top hat, fascist, sexist or racist but by some accounts seems to be all of those things, or at the very least a loving dumbass.

Comparison: Laibach, whose imagery relies on similar things. However, Laibach ALSO provides tons of commentary on the things it decides to show to people in everything they do, from the Nazi-looking uniforms that actually aren't Nazi uniforms, to the lyrics that seem like fascist chants but turn out to be direct translations of ordinary pop songs, or the artwork that at first sight can be seen as fascist but is, in reality, by a fervently antifascist artist. It's obvious to anyone who has half a brain and is willing enough to research the band's imagery, lyrics, methods and history just a tiny bit more in-depth that Laibach's reasons for using "totalitarian" imagery are something quite different than promoting fascism.

I mean ugh I guess there must be a million holes in what I just wrote and it's 3 AM, and I know Feindflug aren't fascist (unless they're liars I guess?), but they still make me uncomfortable. I'm just not particularly excited about hearing Hitler samples in my music, for any reason. I personally think context makes up about 50% of the meaning of any art, and I just don't get the context Feindflug works in.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 10, 2013

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Comparison: Laibach, whose imagery relies on similar things. However, Laibach ALSO provides tons of commentary on the things it decides to show to people in everything they do, from the Nazi-looking uniforms that actually aren't Nazi uniforms, to the lyrics that seem like fascist chants but turn out to be direct translations of ordinary pop songs, or the artwork that at first sight can be seen as fascist but is, in reality, by a fervently antifascist artist. It's obvious to anyone who has half a brain and is willing enough to research the band's imagery, lyrics, methods and history just a tiny bit more in-depth that Laibach's reasons for using "totalitarian" imagery are something quite different than promoting fascism.

I mean ugh I guess there must be a million holes in what I just wrote and it's 3 AM, and I know Feindflug aren't fascist (unless they're liars I guess?), but they still make me uncomfortable. I'm just not particularly excited about hearing Hitler samples in my music, for any reason. I personally think context makes up about 50% of the meaning of any art, and I just don't get the context Feindflug works in.
The difference is, Laibach's a very comprehensive act who are really dedicated to their gimmick, whereas Feindflug just put samples in their instrumental music, apropos of nothing. Why samples of Nazis rather than Sesame Street or whatever?

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

The feel of Feindflug's instrumental music is what makes the difference. The fact that it is indeed completely instrumental is part of the genius of it.

It's really difficult to put into words, but the way their music sounds has always framed the samples they use in a very aggressive, negative and terrifyingly imposing light. I really did "get" them as soon as I started listening to them. To the point where I've always been a little confused that anyone would ever think otherwise.

quote:

I'm just not particularly excited about hearing Hitler samples in my music, for any reason. I personally think context makes up about 50% of the meaning of any art, and I just don't get the context Feindflug works in.

You can't honestly tell me you don't see the difference between how Feindflug frame it and this complete load of garbage. To me one makes me feel sad and internally reflective and the other makes me think the artist is pathetic.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Baby Sathanas posted:

The feel of Feindflug's instrumental music is what makes the difference. The fact that it is indeed completely instrumental is part of the genius of it.

It's really difficult to put into words, but the way their music sounds has always framed the samples they use in a very aggressive, negative and terrifyingly imposing light. I really did "get" them as soon as I started listening to them. To the point where I've always been a little confused that anyone would ever think otherwise.

You can't honestly tell me you don't see the difference between how Feindflug frame it and this complete load of garbage. To me one makes me feel sad and internally reflective and the other makes me think the artist is pathetic.

Could you throw me a link to a comparable Feindflug track as well? I'll definitely compare the two a bit later, but right now I'm at a four-hour lecture.

I'd like to understand Feindflug because instrumentally they really do sound pretty great, but the imagery has honestly put me off from wanting to listen to them.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

The self-titled track is the obvious example. There's nothing fun, dancy or celebratory about it. It uses samples from Hitler's speech at the start of WW2 and it's dark and deeply depressing while being almost slowly violent. All-in-all very apt in my opinion. It's musical political commentary, you clearly don't need lyrics to do that and they're a perfect example.

Uberbyte on the other-hand is just a one-foot-in-the-other march using samples (of Goebbels? I think) to be "edgy" with a dance beat and EBM bleeps and bloops.

Feindflug justify it IMO. It's like when people cried that ATR were political, it's not automatically a bad thing if you can justify it with your music and a clear message. You don't have to do VNV style crying lyrics to get people to see that war is bad m'kay, I've always felt that well-done instrumental music can have much more of an effect on your emotions. At least it always has with me.

The track I linked makes me feel emotionally how I imagine I would have done living in a post-WW1 world and learning of the commencement of a second one. Disappointed, sad and inconcievably angry at the perpetrators.

Babby Sathanas fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Sep 10, 2013

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH
Yeah I miss Feindflug too.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The PWEI reissue/lost album has been delayed again. September 23 now.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

teethgrinder posted:

The PWEI reissue/lost album has been delayed again. September 23 now.

Came in here to ask if anyone had heard it yet. Dos Dedos Mis Amigos is in my top 10 albums of all time and was hoping the remastered version and the lost stuff were any good.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I've been on the edge of my seat checking for them constantly. Dos Dedos Mis Amigos is literally my most-played album through the 90s. Rarely ever left my Discman. I have both the CD and vinyl versions on order. (Sad that the vinyl is solely the lost album -- would love to have Dos Dedos in that format.)

I don't really care for a remaster -- the vast majority of them just make the albums more compressed and louder. I'd rather just crank the volume on the old one. But holy gently caress I can't wait to hear this lost album. My expectations aren't even that high because I wasn't super-keen on the Dos Dedos b-sides. Yet it'll probably be better than Graham Crabb's new PWEI incarnation, which I don't even mind. But it's missing some of the magic. I think PWEI is literally my all-time favourite band. Ned's Atomic Dustbin is up there, but somehow I find their music a little bit silly nowadays. I think it's held up well though, compared to most of the poo poo I listened to in the early-to-mid 90s, and they're descended virtually from the same scene as PWEI.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

teethgrinder posted:

Yet it'll probably be better than Graham Crabb's new PWEI incarnation, which I don't even mind. But it's missing some of the magic.

Yeah I listened to their last single(?) Chaos and Mayhem a while back and didn't think much of it either.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Another new Architect track. It gives me chills.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

sethsez posted:

I'd also fully expect this from Raymond Watts.

I don't know anything for a fact, but I'm pretty sure Raymond either was or is fairly destitute. I heard he was roofing to pay the bills.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I don't know anything for a fact, but I'm pretty sure Raymond either was or is fairly destitute. I heard he was roofing to pay the bills.

Is that really surprising though, for someone that releases music for a limited audience, on a very sporadic basis?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Isn't having a day job much more common than being a professional musician anyway?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I would be more surprised if he didn't have a dayjob, given that he hasn't released an album in 8 years, nor is most of his back catalog in print, on top of being an industrial musician which isn't exactly a high-flying occupation to begin with.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 14, 2013

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
The idea of a 50+ year old, 6'7, 90-pound former drug addict/musician up on a roof lifting heavy-rear end shingles mon-fri just doesn't seem probable to me. Didn't we cover this a dozen pages back where someone said he was producing soundtracks/random artists/mixing/etc... not like that easily pays the bills or anything. But roofing would be the last thing I'd think him to be doing.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Oh I guess a new Covenant album is out. Prime Movers is a good song.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Speaking of Raymond, Primitive Race finally got around to releasing some music, albeit 5 second clips of songs:

https://soundcloud.com/primitiverace/primitive-race-sampler?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=twitter

Some potential, but I'll wait for longer clips before judging.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Run Dodo Run posted:

Speaking of Raymond, Primitive Race finally got around to releasing some music, albeit 5 second clips of songs:

https://soundcloud.com/primitiverace/primitive-race-sampler?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=twitter

Some potential, but I'll wait for longer clips before judging.

Who are Primitive Race again?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Omi-Polari posted:

I'm kind of befuddled now that I forgot. It's on Rdio anyway so I'll give it a listen.

Northern Light is amongst my favourite albums of the 2000s, but much like Apoptygma Berzerk & VNV Nation, I just lost all interest in their later material. I just remember being so hyped for Skyshaper ... and while it was OKAY, it didn't top Northern Light. Going through their career, even their early stuff was GREAT, and it just kept getting better and better. (To my taste.)

edit: well I already like the first track better...

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 14, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

teethgrinder posted:

edit: well I already like the first track better...
:feelsgood:

This is worth seeing if you like Covenant. Full concert from last year with soundboard audio. You have to skip to like an hour in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMhNzEi0zVc

Eskil is hilarious. I took a friend to a show here in Texas and he really liked the music when I introduced him to it, but how do I say this? Covenant is a very, very European band. The friend is this very open-minded but also very provincial Texan, never left the U.S. in his life (not even to Canada or Mexico) so it was kind of a shock to see this band that looks like it came out of a Le Corbusier drawing. That might seem surprising in the 21st century, but it's true!

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Hbomberguy posted:

Who are Primitive Race again?

Industrial 'supergroup'. Requoting myself:

Run Dodo Run posted:

Anyone heard anything about this 'industrial supergroup' Primitive Race?

Apparently it consists of 'Chris Vrenna (tweaker, nin, manson), Luc Van Acker (revco), Raymond Watts (pig, kmfdm), Dave Ogilvie (skinny puppy, call me maybe (really)), Mark Thwaite (revco/ministry), Graham Crabb (pop will eat itself), Erie Loch (idk? ministry/revco remixes?), Chris Kniker (lords of acid) and more!'

They've got a kickstarter (which, to be fair, they've hit) and all. Go to a baseball game with their manager for $100:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-primitive-race-make-limited-edition-merch-while-in-studio

No clips whatsoever so far I think?
https://www.facebook.com/primitiveraceband

Nice to see Watts back making proper music, and that isn't a bad lineup.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Omi-Polari posted:

:feelsgood:

This is worth seeing if you like Covenant. Full concert from last year with soundboard audio. You have to skip to like an hour in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMhNzEi0zVc

Eskil is hilarious. I took a friend to a show here in Texas and he really liked the music when I introduced him to it, but how do I say this? Covenant is a very, very European band. The friend is this very open-minded but also very provincial Texan, never left the U.S. in his life (not even to Canada or Mexico) so it was kind of a shock to see this band that looks like it came out of a Le Corbusier drawing. That might seem surprising in the 21st century, but it's true!

Hey, me and my wife went there for our anniversary. We were standing right next to the girl who gave Eskil a drawing. :3:

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Holy poo poo, these new Architect tracks are so goooooood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g63R4LdAyRU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Omi-Polari posted:

Neat, didn't know they had a new album out.

Initial impressions on first listen: I like the title track, it has a good beat, even though it's kind of weird compared to their usual stuff. Prime Movers is good, and Last Dance and Auto (Circulation) seem like the other bangers. They're kind of doing the VNV Nation thing and including a couple of slower tracks (I Walk Slow). I'm really not into that, since I just want Covenant to be fast and dumb club music to put on during work, but overall, yup, it's exactly what I expected. I'm happy with it being on Spotify, but if I'd paid actual money for it I might be more lukewarm.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It felt less slick to me, in a good way: like a throwback to pre-USM stuff. It's just as well because I feel like their production topped out at Northern Light and the interim two albums just haven't been as good. There's definitely been several great tracks, but as albums they suck. I think this one is decent throughout. Not earth-shattering, but competent.

I also got a bit of a VNV Nation vibe from it.