Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Nephilm posted:

Who uses skulls besides humans?

Khornate daemons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Skulls for the Skull Throne.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Orks! It's in one of their clan names even!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Nephilm posted:

Orks and Eldar for certain. Check the front page of the Lexicanum.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Nephilm posted:

The Necrons fly them.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
and the Imperium put skulls on everything before the Emperor was put on the throne.

Which is a shame, because I liked the "skill is their version of the cross" idea

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Well, the Deus Mechanicus symbol or however it's spelled, is a skull. Mars was around for a long time, the union of the two empires is the whole basis of the Imperium's strength.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Fried Chicken posted:

and the Imperium put skulls on everything before the Emperor was put on the throne.

Which is a shame, because I liked the "skill is their version of the cross" idea

Yeah in general the Horus Heresy series is really bad at distinguishing 30k from 40k and I preferred it back when it's implied that all the skull stuff grows progressively as human civilization slowly declines.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah in general the Horus Heresy series is really bad at distinguishing 30k from 40k and I preferred it back when it's implied that all the skull stuff grows progressively as human civilization slowly declines.

The first 3 HH books do a poo poo job of doing anything to emphasize the differences in between the 10,000 timespan other then Sinderman going on and on about the Imperial Truth and everyone's bafflement at anything chaos related. Otherwise it's just another 40k bolter piece with different dates used.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Cream_Filling posted:

It's interesting to note that the artwork shows that everything is built in the style of gothic cathedrals - which I always interpreted to be done in reverence for the Emperor - in an age when the Emperor was outlawing worship of him.

Also there's the fact that everyone is throwing the word "heresy" around, and the Emperor talking like he was Jesus.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The problem is that they were trying to jump right into the Heresy. What they needed to do was give us a handful of good Great Crusade books so that we actually got to see the players involved before everything went right to poo poo.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Khizan posted:

The problem is that they were trying to jump right into the Heresy. What they needed to do was give us a handful of good Great Crusade books so that we actually got to see the players involved before everything went right to poo poo.

Exactly. Part of what made The First Heretic work so well is we got an extended peak about what things were like before the fall. It established a baseline character of Lorgar and how he was perceived so we could appreciate the change. Or Know No Fear we get an appreciation for day to day life in a peaceful Imperium, so we have something to contrast with the insanity of the Heresy and constant war.

I'm hopeful we will get more flashback books to establish ferrous manus and the other primarchs better

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Which is why the first Dark Angels book is good.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Know No Fear ends with Kor Phaeron running off and a note about the most infamous naval duel in Imperial history. Anyone know which book thats detailed in? Seems like it would be a short story.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
It's coming out as a graphic novel.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The first book of the Inquisition War trilogy, Draco is off to a great start. The squat and the navigator characters act completely unlike the typical dour grim faced side characters in most all W40k fiction except the Cain stories and actually seem to bring a unique attitude towards the Inquisitors interactions with his associates. The squat in particular being from technologically advanced non Mechanicum worlds doesn't bother with any of the runes, catechisms, or rituals to repair or modify stuff, so the rest of the team is amazed that his engineering efforts actually work, but assume eventually the machine spirit will strike him down.

The book also has some minor flashbacks into the Inquistor's childhood and how his perception of the world changed once his psychic talent emerged.

quote:

He would lie abed in the darkened dormitory, sensing a sloshing seas of human and mutant existence surrounding him. In that sea twists and clumps of phosphorescence marked the minds of other psykers. Many displayed the malign green of corruption, the verdigris of spiritual gangrene. Some swelled bloatedly, streaked with red, as power from the deeps infused them. From such, tendrils descended into the abyss.

Indeed, threads dangled down from all life, psychic and non-psychic alike. Filaments linked living beings with the seeds of themselves in the deep down ooze. Up some of these tendrils the substance and energy of the ooze could travel parasitically. This material was hostile to all life yet also greedy for life and jealous of life. This energy was hungry and destructive, bestowing power upon a person but invariably injuring that person by virtue of the power it bestowed.

It's probably got the most elaborate and visceral descriptions of the warp in any 40k novel. Most mentions I've read are just "Warp= bad things that eat souls" or similarly blunt.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

VanSandman posted:

Which is why the first Dark Angels book is good.

Nothing about that On Caliban book is good. It's badly On Caliban written, nonsensical, poo poo. On Caliban.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Nothing about that On Caliban book is good. It's badly On Caliban written, nonsensical, poo poo. On Caliban.

That lovely book made me realise I should be picking and choosing my HH novels, instead of trying to read them all. One of you brave souls can do that.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Rabhadh posted:

That lovely book made me realise I should be picking and choosing my HH novels, instead of trying to read them all. One of you brave souls can do that.

Abnett and ADB, ignore the rest.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Eh. Mostly accurate, but I thought A Thousand Sons was pretty good. Fulgrim would have been better but I got tired of their whole perfection! thing pretty loving quickly.

Generally speaking, I'll read anything by ADB or Abnett, no questions asked, and I'll read others if I see them get decent reviews here.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
That's the thing, McNeil already wrote A Thousand Sons, so I don't expect him to write anything good in the HH series anymore - quota met and all that.

And indeed, he hasn't done anything that I haven't found at least borderline offensive since.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I thought Fulgrim was decent but I hated reading it. The few likable characters make their exit too early and by the last fourth of the book everyone is a vain and preening bitch (which is what the Emperor's Children are, but hey!).

Mechanicum is ok too. McNeill is generally good writing Mechanicus stuff.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Are there any good W40k short story collections? I'm seeing tons of things like short stories, novellas and audio dramas that look really interesting that aren't really easy to find by themselves and purchasing the individual stories digitally is a huge rip-off.

Most of the omnibus editions include 2-3 short stories about the subject but other then that there don't seem to be too many collections.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

pentyne posted:

Are there any good W40k short story collections? I'm seeing tons of things like short stories, novellas and audio dramas that look really interesting that aren't really easy to find by themselves and purchasing the individual stories digitally is a huge rip-off.

Most of the omnibus editions include 2-3 short stories about the subject but other then that there don't seem to be too many collections.

There are a bunch of anthology books. I just haven't read any of them outside of the Horus Heresy line, so can't really comment on how good they are.

Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Warhammer_40,000_novels#Anthologies
Into The Maelstrom edited by Marc Gascoigne and Andy Jones (September 1999)
Dark Imperium edited by Marc Gascoigne and Andy Jones (January 2001)
Deathwing edited by Neil Jones and David Pringle (November 2001)
Words of Blood edited by Marc Gascoigne and Christian Dunn (July 2002)
Crucible of War edited by Marc Gascoigne and Christian Dunn (May 2003)
What Price Victory edited by Marc Gascoigne and Christian Dunn (April 2004)
Bringers of Death edited by Marc Gascoigne and Christian Dunn (August 2005)
Let The Galaxy Burn edited by Marc Gascoigne and Christian Dunn (April 2006)
Tales from the Dark Millennium edited by Marc Gascoigne and Christian Dunn (October 2006)
Planetkill edited by Nick Kyme and Lindsey Priestely (July 2008)
The Book of Blood edited by Christian Dunn (April 2010)
Fear The Alien edited by Christian Dunn (September 2010)
The Space Marine Script Book edited by Christian Dunn (collects audio drama scripts) (December 2012)

And the Space Marine books:
Heroes of the Space Marines edited by Nick Kyme and Lindsey Priestely (May 2009)
Legends of the Space Marines edited by Christian Dunn (May 2010)
Victories of the Space Marines edited by Christian Dunn (April 2011)
Treacheries of the Space Marines edited by Christian Dunn (October 2012)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
All of the 2006 and prior books are collections from the Inferno! magazine, which, with a couple of exceptions, was your only place to get 40K fiction. As a result, BL was a little more discriminating with the authors, so the stores are better than those in later anthologies.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

The hammer and Bolter anthology (at least the first one) has some crackin' stories. Well worth picking up.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I finished Emperor's Gift recently and it got me hooked on the Space Wolves. Other than Battle of the Fang, what are some other recommended books featuring them?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The first four space wolf books by King are fun and quick reads.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

lenoon posted:

The hammer and Bolter anthology (at least the first one) has some crackin' stories. Well worth picking up.

I had the opposite impression. Therefore I recommend that if anyone thinks they might be interested in it, at least flip through it in the store to see how you feel.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

VanSandman posted:

The first four space wolf books by King are fun and quick reads.

Seconding this recommendation, also Blood of Asaheim is supposed to be good. I haven't read it but Chris Wraight rarely disappoints.

For Horus Heresy books, A Thousand Sons and Prospero Burns both deal with the Wolves (especially Prospero Burns), and are both really good (especially Prospero Burns).

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

mdemone posted:

I had the opposite impression. Therefore I recommend that if anyone thinks they might be interested in it, at least flip through it in the store to see how you feel.

There's some poo poo, but the poo poo-to-good ratio was, for me, on the good side.

Plus it has that totally loving ace Iron Warriors story, the quality Bret knight short stories and some other cool stuff. Being an Imperial Fist and Iron Warriors nerd, I would have picked it up for the Dorn and gently caress YEAH DROPPING A loving FORTRESS ON AN EMPEROR CLASS TITAN stories alone.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I forgot Blood of Asaheim! It's great if you like the sisters of battle also.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Khizan posted:

I would not be surprised if the Great Crusade series launches immediately after the HH series ends. There's just too much good stuff (money and tabletop models) to leave out. Founding of the legions, finding the primarchs, famous battles of the GC. It'll also end off at the height, which is Ullanor.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ullanor is easy, just get everyone with Epic scale minis in your country to show up.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Ullanor is easy, just get everyone with Epic scale minis in your country to show up.

Probably have to fly ADB in to represent the Emperor (would that make Matt Ward Horus?).

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Shroud posted:

Probably have to fly ADB in to represent the Emperor (would that make Matt Ward Horus?).

Nah Horus was still loyal at Ullanor. Ward can play the Ork Warboss.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
Blood of Asaheim is a good read as good as battle of the fang if not better. Wraight also goes to the trouble of making a few throwbacks in Asaheim to BotF the relic blade the wolf guard Bromm? uses is called dausvjer. It's the one Ingvar uses thousands of years later .

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

VanSandman posted:

Nah Horus was still loyal at Ullanor. Ward can play the Ork Warboss.

Ward would be Magnus. Talented and well-meaning, but if you let him into the fluff room bad things happen.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Ward would be Magnus. Talented and well-meaning, but if you let him into the fluff room bad things happen.

That or maybe The Lion - good at crunchy tactics but a terrible humorless sperg with no sense for people or nuance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You win this round.