Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kibayasu posted:

It's funny, I've never really been a huge fan those kinds of city management (I guess?) games but for some reason I can remember so much about Startopia incredibly clearly. I attribute this to the dreamy voice they got to be the tutorial giver.

The assistant's voice reminds me of the narrator/actual book in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which makes the whole game a little more amazing :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

The Kins posted:

Free game! Stargunner was Apogee's final game before becoming 3D Realms. It's hard as balls.

Where's the poster who's been keeping a list of remaining Apogee games?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Mierenneuker posted:

I can't recommend the actual Hitman 1 (Codename 47) to anyone, even though I'm a fan of the series.

I actually really liked the first mission, the one with the huge Chinese restaurant and the hotel. Sometimes the simplest of missions are the best.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

WASDF posted:

Two days ago now?

Oh, that's right. But wasn't there talk of competitions and promos leading up to a big reveal/release in, like, five weeks? Did I imagine this?

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The assistant's voice reminds me of the narrator/actual book in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which makes the whole game a little more amazing :allears:.
That's because it was the same guy ;)

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
That new indie Viking platformer looks like a lot of fun, but I want to see if it will come out on PSN/Vita before I put money on it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zero Star posted:

That's because it was the same guy ;)

What. :aaa:

And I thought I couldn't love that game any more than I already do. I was actually referring to the 80's TV series rather than the audiobooks (I looked it up to see for myself just now), but that's still an amazing surprise for me.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What. :aaa:

And I thought I couldn't love that game any more than I already do. I was actually referring to the 80's TV series rather than the audiobooks (I looked it up to see for myself just now), but that's still an amazing surprise for me.

He meant the movie. Also the audiobooks are read by the author, Douglas Adams. The person you guys are talking about is Stephen Fry.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream needs to be made into an indie movie, badly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

He meant the movie. Also the audiobooks are read by the author, Douglas Adams. The person you guys are talking about is Stephen Fry.

That's a slight blunder on my part, I meant radio series. The voice of VAL was William Franklyn, who apparently voiced The Book for seasons 3-5 of the radio series of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. :eng101:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

BiggerJ posted:

Where's the poster who's been keeping a list of remaining Apogee games?

Sup.

So, let's see...we still need:

• The Commander Keen Series (Available on Steam; Keen Dreams and Aliens Ate My Babysitter are still MIA)
  • Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure
  • Crystal Caves
  • Math Rescue
  • Monster Bash
  • Mystic Towers
  • Paganitzu
  • Wacky Wheels
  • Wolfenstein 3D (Available on Steam)
  • Word Rescue

All other games from Apogee/3D Realms are either available on GOG or have been discontinued and are freeware.

Click here for more information.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 16, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
How likely is it that Kyrandia 2 and 3 will be released in a timely manner, or at all? Space Quest 1+2+3 took ages to be released and cost ten bucks (and wasn't included in the price adjectments following the expansion of pricing options). And Journeyman Project 1/Pegasus Prime will probably never be rereleased.

Oh, and thanks, Charles Martel.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 16, 2013

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I have been playing Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation lately since I had never played it before, and I like it a lot! It still keeps the clunky stuff from the previous games, but they made quite a bit of changes to allow the game to do some of the stuff that it does.

It is a drat shame that they followed it up with Angel of Darkness though. That game was a piece of poo poo. I am usually pretty lenient with the games I play, but I couldn't even control Lara in that game, and this is coming from someone who loves all the classic Tomb Raiders.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream needs to be made into an indie movie, badly.

No, because Harlan Ellison. Not because OF Harlan Ellison. Just because Harlan Ellison.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

I have been playing Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation lately since I had never played it before, and I like it a lot! It still keeps the clunky stuff from the previous games, but they made quite a bit of changes to allow the game to do some of the stuff that it does.

It is a drat shame that they followed it up with Angel of Darkness though. That game was a piece of poo poo. I am usually pretty lenient with the games I play, but I couldn't even control Lara in that game, and this is coming from someone who loves all the classic Tomb Raiders.

Technically Chronicles followed The Last Revelation as it's a literal sequel. I like to pretend Lara Croft (don't read this if you have't beaten TLR) actually died in TLR and Angel of Darkness is her purgatory.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Is the Tomb Raider 1/2/3 worth picking up? I haven't played these games since they came out, but I remember them being fun at the time. I also know they've aged terribly in the graphics department.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

liquid courage posted:

Is the Tomb Raider 1/2/3 worth picking up? I haven't played these games since they came out, but I remember them being fun at the time. I also know they've aged terribly in the graphics department.

No, get Tomb Raider Anniversary instead, then Legend/Underworld/reboot, and forget the rest of the series existed.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Hakkesshu posted:

No, get Tomb Raider Anniversary instead, then Legend/Underworld/reboot, and forget the rest of the series existed.

Yeah, I've replayed 1, 2, and 3 recently and I can say that they haven't aged well in the slightest.
After playing games like Uncharted and the new Tomb Raiders, they're really antiquated.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

BiggerJ posted:

And Journeyman Project 1/Pegasus Prime will probably never be rereleased.

It will be coming. Either to GOG or elsewhere. (Though probably GOG.)

I talk (well, Facebook chat) with one of the ex-Presto guys on occasion. The Windows port of the game via ScummVM is complete, in that it runs as it did when released for Mac OS originally. They're still plugging away at it though because they want to incorporate the features that were in the unreleased PS1 version of the game, and that never made it into the Mac release.

So even if they give up on that, the worst-case scenario is that it'll be released as it was.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

liquid courage posted:

They have aged terribly in the gameplay department as well, but I will disagree with everyone else and say that it is worth it to have the originals. I find Anniversary to be a poor substitute of the original but if you liked them when they came out, you might still like them now. Plus you can get all 3 of them for pretty cheap.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'll argue that Tomb Raider 1-3 have aged fine in the gameplay department in the same way as Prince of Persia or Another World. There's a very deliberate way to the game's controls and once you understand the grid based movement, Lara's jump height, and the safe distances you can jump/land you'll fly through the original games with no trouble. At one time I was speed running through the levels by exploiting platforms you weren't supposed to grab or slide on but could. I miss those golden days of level design, everything nowadays is too scripted.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I admit, I caved and bought Magna Cum Laude for $2 to round out my LSL collection.

I will never play it. :gogtears:

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

al-azad posted:

I'll argue that Tomb Raider 1-3 have aged fine in the gameplay department in the same way as Prince of Persia or Another World. There's a very deliberate way to the game's controls and once you understand the grid based movement, Lara's jump height, and the safe distances you can jump/land you'll fly through the original games with no trouble. At one time I was speed running through the levels by exploiting platforms you weren't supposed to grab or slide on but could. I miss those golden days of level design, everything nowadays is too scripted.
Pretty much. There's a cliff of a learning curve if you're going back from being used to automated modern action/adventures, but if you get past that there's actually legitimate benefits to the way the original Tomb Raider control scheme works that few other "aged" controls have, as it works off a near 100% consistent set of rules that you entirely free to work within and even push beyond what the developers intended, whereas the platforming in basically all modern action/adventures (Mirror's Edge is the only exception I can think of) is almost entirely based off arbitrary scripting. On the other hand the original game has some control issues (mainly with jumping on-the-fly) that were fixed in the sequels.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

al-azad posted:

That being said, 1 and 2 are pretty awesome games in their own right with some badass environments to explore. I really liked the sunken ship and pretty much all of the original. But Tomb Raider 3 is for masochists. I mean holy poo poo, the game starts you off going down a hill where if you don't do anything, you will be impaled. Several feet from that is a rolling boulder that can instantly kill you and quicksand. That game did not gently caress around.

Also, I cannot recommend The Last Revelation enough. It is a really solid game.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
The first three Tomb Raiders are some of the finest butler torture simulators I've ever played

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Peas and Rice posted:

I admit, I caved and bought Magna Cum Laude for $2 to round out my LSL collection.

I seriously thought about this but just couldn't do it for that game. They gave me a deep discount on getting both Guilty Gears and I was willing to play along, but this is too far.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Peas and Rice posted:

It's honestly not completely terrible. The dialogue is pretty funny sometimes. Box Office Bust is the really terrible one.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Picked up Anachronox. I am really liking it! The sense of humor is great. The combat really drags though.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It's honestly not completely terrible. The dialogue is pretty funny sometimes. Box Office Bust is the really terrible one.

I didn't even know that game existed until just now. I'd pay $2 for it I guess.

I'd really like LSL Reloaded to come down in price. It seems more like a :10bux: game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

rocket_man38 posted:

Picked up Anachronox. I am really liking it! The sense of humor is great. The combat really drags though.

Play it on the easiest difficulty, there's no reason not to.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

rocket_man38 posted:

There is a key you can press - I think it might be '\' - that basically puts the game in fast-forward for as long as you hold it.. it's a god-send for not having to sit through the fight animations each time.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Peas and Rice posted:

Your noble confession has inspired me - I agree on all counts and confess to the same crimes.

I regret nothing. :devil:

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Hakkesshu posted:

This. I forgot one very important thing when I bought the full pack, which is that those earlier games predate analog controls. You rotate Lara around like a sun dial with "rotate left" and "rotate right" keys and then push forward to move when she's facing the right direction. I don't know how I was able to stand third person 3D games without analog control. Even if you use a mouse you have to play the same way using the keyboard, there is no changing the direction you face with a mouse. I enjoyed those games when I was younger but those controls just feel insanely frustrating now.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Peas and Rice posted:

I didn't even know that game existed until just now. I'd pay $2 for it I guess.

I'd really like LSL Reloaded to come down in price. It seems more like a :10bux: game.

I kind of want to get Reloaded, but I'm a bit turned off by the "step back" in gameplay mechanics from LSL7. I feel like they could have done a remake of LSL1 without having to be so faithful to some of the more archaic and annoying things about it, so yeah, I also will wait for a sale price.

Which probably means I'm hurting my chances at future Larry games. :(

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Jamesman posted:

Which probably means I'm hurting my chances at future Larry games. :(

This is a paradox that drives players crazy. Paying for something not only encourages the good things baout it, it also encourages the bad things about it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Is Reloaded the one where they replaced like half the NPCs with Kickstarter backers?

Masked Pumpkin
May 10, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Is Reloaded the one where they replaced like half the NPCs with Kickstarter backers?

Yes it is - I picked it up on... Steam? Humble Bundle? some time back. It's not a bad game, and I did enjoy it. I hadn't played the original in well on 20 years and so my memories may be a little rose-tinted and you could see very clearly how Kickstarter names had been put in wherever possible, but it was still good, and certainly streets ahead of Magna Cum Laude.

Edit: I, like, commas

Masked Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 17, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

macnbc posted:

It will be coming. Either to GOG or elsewhere. (Though probably GOG.)

I talk (well, Facebook chat) with one of the ex-Presto guys on occasion. The Windows port of the game via ScummVM is complete, in that it runs as it did when released for Mac OS originally. They're still plugging away at it though because they want to incorporate the features that were in the unreleased PS1 version of the game, and that never made it into the Mac release.

So even if they give up on that, the worst-case scenario is that it'll be released as it was.

So it's definitely nothing to do with rights issues?

Would the people working on it accept donations? Because if so, I have some money it'd like to throw at them.

Also, if it comes out somewhere other than GOG, could you please tell us?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BiggerJ posted:

How likely is it that Kyrandia 2 and 3 will be released in a timely manner, or at all? Space Quest 1+2+3 took ages to be released and cost ten bucks (and wasn't included in the price adjectments following the expansion of pricing options). And Journeyman Project 1/Pegasus Prime will probably never be rereleased.

Oh, and thanks, Charles Martel.

Based on previous games, probably. Unless they let you buy them as the same package they never release multiple games in a series the same week. See Baldur's Gate, Magic Carpet, Thief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Some trendy game developer types need to play Startopia and be inspired by the Biodeck section. It's a beautiful terraforming and agriculture game and always completely ignore the rest of my space station to cater to it. If it were adapted to a stand-alone game I would never play anything else.