Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Not really. If the image stabalization or the higher fps you can get with some m43 bodies (think used em-5) isn't a big deal then the x-e1 is an great camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Baron Dirigible posted:

Alright, after going back-and-forth on whether I should wait for the (incredibly expensive and unnecessarily high-end) E-M1, or upgrading to the (slightly less expensive yet sufficiently improved) E-P5, I'm now considering selling off all my m43 gear and going for the Fuji X-E1 everyone here seems to love.

As a result of being pretty free with my money in the past year, I've probably got enough gear to sell off and help finance an X-E1. The APS-C sensor seems impressive from all accounts, and the 35mm 1.4 sounds like a match for my Panaleica 25mm, so I'm hoping overall it'd be a net win.

Would this be the silliest thing in the world to do? I'm aware as a photographer I still have some ways to go before I've outgrown even my current E-PM2, but its shortcomings really aren't helping -- especially its issues shooting with my 75mm, which ends up gathering dust most of the time as a result.

Are there any common rules to how I should price the lenses? I had a look through the Buy/Sell thread and I have a general idea, but advice would be welcome. Thinking of selling off a 25mm 1.4, 14mm 2.5 and the 75mm 1.8. The body I'd likely keep with the kit lens. The 25mm and 75mm could come in original packaging with pouches and lens hoods (the 75mm hood is sold separately).

What's the motivation for the switch? If you have any money invested in good glass for u4/3, then don't switch over a body. The E-M5 prices are going to continue dropping, so I don't think it's silly to upgrade to that: it's an excellent camera. I've had an X-E1 and currently have an X-Pro1, and from all accounts, u4/3 sounds like a better rounded and more mature system, which is more appealing if this is your primary camera. At least with u4/3 you have the option to look at either Panasonic or Olympus for body improvements.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

Baron Dirigible posted:

Alright, after going back-and-forth on whether I should wait for the (incredibly expensive and unnecessarily high-end) E-M1, or upgrading to the (slightly less expensive yet sufficiently improved) E-P5, I'm now considering selling off all my m43 gear and going for the Fuji X-E1 everyone here seems to love.

As a result of being pretty free with my money in the past year, I've probably got enough gear to sell off and help finance an X-E1. The APS-C sensor seems impressive from all accounts, and the 35mm 1.4 sounds like a match for my Panaleica 25mm, so I'm hoping overall it'd be a net win.

Would this be the silliest thing in the world to do? I'm aware as a photographer I still have some ways to go before I've outgrown even my current E-PM2, but its shortcomings really aren't helping -- especially its issues shooting with my 75mm, which ends up gathering dust most of the time as a result.

Are there any common rules to how I should price the lenses? I had a look through the Buy/Sell thread and I have a general idea, but advice would be welcome. Thinking of selling off a 25mm 1.4, 14mm 2.5 and the 75mm 1.8. The body I'd likely keep with the kit lens. The 25mm and 75mm could come in original packaging with pouches and lens hoods (the 75mm hood is sold separately).

Man, take your 25 and 75 to a camera store and try them out on an e-M5 at the least, see what a current generation m43 body can do with that glass. I say this as an AVID lover of my XE-1- the glass you have is a pretty serious investment into m43 already, and there literally is not a good option for replacing your 75 on the Fuji side yet. If you don't know how much of an improvement literally EVERYTHING about the new OMD series is over your e-p2, you owe it to yourself to find out and know before taking the plunge into a new system and starting over on acquiring glass. Having owned both the Pana-Leica 25 and the Fuji 35, I can tell you they are mostly evenly matched, but they both have very different character from one another.

While you're in the shop, ask to try an X-E1 running the current firmware on body/lens if possible as well, otherwise your first impression will not accurately reflect what that combo is capable of.

I don't think you have a bad idea, but I think you have a much tougher choice to make than you realize, unless your goal is to just switch over without spending another cent, which you should be able to realistically accomplish if you don't let someone completely rip you off in buying your gear.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Has anyone used one of those $5 "hong-kong special" LCD shades from eBay on their NEX?

The camera is basically unusable in the afternoon sunlight, and I'm way way way too cheap to buy the EVF.

Thinking of this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pop-up-Shade...c61e113e&_uhb=1

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
I bought one like it and used it on a trip recently, I had to trim it a little bit to make it fit on my C3. Works pretty well and better if you hold the camera up to you eyes, but the LCD screen can't be folded all the way shut with the shade on because the bottom clips wrap around the edge.

This is the one I got: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/LCD-Pop-Up-Screen-Hood-Cover-Sony-Alpha-NEX-5-NEX-3-/221019858053

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I'm probably going to get one since I really don't like the glare :(

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Baron Dirigible posted:

I would suggest you get the EM5 or EP5 at least, since you already have lenses for the system. The 25 and 75 are very solid lenses, esp the 25 which is permanently stuck on my EM5 99% of the time. Both the EM5 and XE1 can produce great photos so it's really is all about your personal feel on the cameras. I used my friend's XE1 and I really hated it, from the handling to the EVF, which is horrible compared to the EM5. Of course if you're just switching for the sake of having new gear or something different, don't bother with logic then.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Thanks for the advice, all. It's good to know switching is at least a viable option, if I do decide to go that way.

krackmonkey posted:

Man, take your 25 and 75 to a camera store and try them out on an e-M5 at the least, see what a current generation m43 body can do with that glass.
Yeah, my current plan is to head into my local camera shop tomorrow morning before work, and try out both the E-P5 and the X-E1, just to see how they compare. Everyone mentioned a used E-M5 as an option, but honestly I don't think that's the best value. I actually own the current-gen E-PM2, so the OMD wouldn't be as huge a jump -- the improvements would mostly lie in the body and the IBIS, since my camera shares the sensor. Also, I'm concerned about going too large with the body, which has helped me write off the E-M1 as an option and put me towards thinking of the E-P5: which shares the E-M5's improvements, adds a few of its own, and is still an unassuming, rangefinder-esque camera.

quote:

I don't think you have a bad idea, but I think you have a much tougher choice to make than you realize, unless your goal is to just switch over without spending another cent, which you should be able to realistically accomplish if you don't let someone completely rip you off in buying your gear.
The way I see it, I have the option of sticking with m43, and spending money (either now or later) to better use my 75mm lens and get other assorted improvements; or, I could sell off my m43 gear, and upgrade to a camera with (possibly) better performance at the 50mm focal length. One way would cost money, the other way would lose some very, very nice glass which I'm not even using to its full potential anyway.

alkanphel posted:

Of course if you're just switching for the sake of having new gear or something different, don't bother with logic then.
Pretty much! Nah, as above, if I can get better performance out of my frequently-used 50mm focal length without spending any money, it seems a better upgrade path than dropping another thousand dollars and getting further invested into m43.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Baron Dirigible posted:

As someone who ditched m4/3 (and Canon) for the X system, I say do it. I have no regrets. I had a lot of glass to sell too and it was no trouble getting a good price. My X-Pro has just been a lot more fun to shoot with and I think the ergonomics and controls are great. I also feel like I have to do a lot less in post to get what I want. Often I find myself tweaking this and that in Lightroom only to find that the ooc picture was great to start with.

Also, this is a good read: http://handcarryonly.com/fujifilm-x-pro1-the-travel-photographers-dream/

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Regarding the XE-1 purchase, here are my 2 cents.

* The XE-1 + 18-55 kit can be had for 940 new from rakuten/buy.com? Wow thats a lot lower than the 1400 I paid from 1 year ago. If you don't like the kit zoom you can easily sell it for 400 on ebay. Of course if you want a couple primes right away then you have to go with the lens promotion discount. There is a rumor of the a new XE-1s with minor upgrade coming. So the price of XE-1 has a little bit more room to drop.

* The XE-1's strength IMO is color, espcially in the evening. And a collection of lens that are designed specifically for people who like to carry minimal set of high end primes. This is the Fuji Shtick, everything else is on par or almost as good as the competitions. You have to on board with this philosophy, and also like the Fuji color palette to over come Fuji system's other weakness.

* Ultimately, let your future lens purchase make decision for you. Write down what your camera budget is for next two year, and find out what you want to buy on either system. Body doesn't matter, only lens last forever. And high end lens doesn't depreciate that much, unlike digital bodies, which drop out of fashion faster than...Justin Bieber's girlfriends.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

alkanphel posted:

I would suggest you get the EM5 or EP5 at least, since you already have lenses for the system. The 25 and 75 are very solid lenses, esp the 25 which is permanently stuck on my EM5 99% of the time. Both the EM5 and XE1 can produce great photos so it's really is all about your personal feel on the cameras. I used my friend's XE1 and I really hated it, from the handling to the EVF, which is horrible compared to the EM5. Of course if you're just switching for the sake of having new gear or something different, don't bother with logic then.

It's funny, because I found the handling on the EM-5 absolutely atrocious. Ended up with the 18-55 X-E1 kit in the end. On the other hand, I'm having huge doubts, because while I love the camera, I'm not sure if I like the system as much. m4/3 would be a more mature system, and would allow me to shoot video, too. And having two mirrorless systems would just feel... dumb.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

whatever7 posted:

Regarding the XE-1 purchase, here are my 2 cents.

* The XE-1 + 18-55 kit can be had for 940 new from rakuten/buy.com? Wow thats a lot lower than the 1400 I paid from 1 year ago. If you don't like the kit zoom you can easily sell it for 400 on ebay. Of course if you want a couple primes right away then you have to go with the lens promotion discount. There is a rumor of the a new XE-1s with minor upgrade coming. So the price of XE-1 has a little bit more room to drop.

* The XE-1's strength IMO is color, espcially in the evening. And a collection of lens that are designed specifically for people who like to carry minimal set of high end primes. This is the Fuji Shtick, everything else is on par or almost as good as the competitions. You have to on board with this philosophy, and also like the Fuji color palette to over come Fuji system's other weakness.

* Ultimately, let your future lens purchase make decision for you. Write down what your camera budget is for next two year, and find out what you want to buy on either system. Body doesn't matter, only lens last forever. And high end lens doesn't depreciate that much, unlike digital bodies, which drop out of fashion faster than...Justin Bieber's girlfriends.

Couldn't agree with any of this more. The only thing that I'd add is that their JPEG engine is really good - to the point I sometimes wonder why I bother shooting raw.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

usdachoicemustache posted:

Not to interrupt the Fuji chat, but the GX7 is finally out.

The new back screen is great! Much improved over the GX1. The eyepiece perhaps not so much – seems kinda laggy and unsharp to me, but I'm new to electronic viewfinders so maybe I just need to get used to it? Hard to make the transition from optical.

Also it's heavier and bigger than the GX1 so there's that. Still hilariously smaller than my D90, which now looks like medium format in comparison.

(Sadly, no time for cat pictures today.)
Nice! Where'd you get it? Everything I saw was held up until the end of the month.

Also, have you been able to do much with the built-in IS? I was thinking of getting a GX7 with the 25mm 1.4 so it'd be pretty good to have.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Well, I went to the camera shop as promised, but there really wasn't much point. I only had about fifteen minutes to spare, which was fine because they didn't have batteries in any of the cameras so all I could really do was hold them and use my imagination.

Is this ridiculous to anyone else? Granted there's not much real-world experience you can get within a camera shop, but I'd at least like to see how bad the Fuji's AF actually is without spending a thousand-odd dollars first.

I was also heavily steered toward the E-P5, which I was kind of anticipating. I actually really liked the Fuji's body, though -- it feels quite heavier than the EP5 but also far more solid and more comfortable.

usdachoicemustache
Jul 15, 2012

Progressive JPEG posted:

Nice! Where'd you get it? Everything I saw was held up until the end of the month.

Also, have you been able to do much with the built-in IS? I was thinking of getting a GX7 with the 25mm 1.4 so it'd be pretty good to have.

:ninja: amazon.co.jp

Yes. I have the 20mm, and if I lay off the caffeine I've gotten some pretty sharp shots at 1/6 and 1/8. All test shots and nothing in the field yet, as unfortunately we have a typhoon passing through, so all my pictures so far have been "random thing in room" and "looking out from balcony".

(Also annoying but not horribly surprising that Apple doesn't have a raw converter out for it yet.)

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

usdachoicemustache posted:

:ninja: amazon.co.jp

Yes. I have the 20mm, and if I lay off the caffeine I've gotten some pretty sharp shots at 1/6 and 1/8. All test shots and nothing in the field yet, as unfortunately we have a typhoon passing through, so all my pictures so far have been "random thing in room" and "looking out from balcony".

(Also annoying but not horribly surprising that Apple doesn't have a raw converter out for it yet.)

Is the IBIS all computer wiz stuff (like the Photoshop anti blur plugin) or there are actually some strings inside moving the sensor when you shoot?

edit: what I want to know is is this Olympus style of IS.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

whatever7 posted:

edit: what I want to know is is this Olympus style of IS.

Yes, but it's not as advanced, it's 3-axis vs 5-axis. But I was impressed enough with Olympus' original 3-axis IBIS, so if it can equal that, it should be just fine.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

"Hey Bob Socko, we're doing a walkthrough of the new facility. Do you mind videotaping it?"

Well, gently caress.

In the off-chance you find yourself in my position - having to use an X-E1 to shoot video - your best bet is to use manual focus and the AE-L/AF-L button to manually set your focal distance, and hope your subjects don't move around too much. Also, I may have found a bug with the Fuji firmware where the digital distance display chokes up occasionally while recording video and displays that you're at infinity focus, even when you aren't. I got by well enough with the kit zoom at its widest angle and f/4 using this manual focus technique. It's crude, but it works.

Edit - if you're like me in that you want to use Fuji mirrorless with a flash, you might check out Fuji's EF-42 flashes. They're kinda on the cheap end, but they do TTL and bounce, so I guess they work well enough. Anyway, The Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce diffusers for the Nikon SB-600 fit/work just fine.

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 16, 2013

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

DanTheFryingPan posted:

It's funny, because I found the handling on the EM-5 absolutely atrocious. Ended up with the 18-55 X-E1 kit in the end. On the other hand, I'm having huge doubts, because while I love the camera, I'm not sure if I like the system as much. m4/3 would be a more mature system, and would allow me to shoot video, too. And having two mirrorless systems would just feel... dumb.

Haha that was my point on the personal feel - it usually becomes a bigger factor in why you should get a particular system. The lenses and image quality of both Olympus and Fuji systems are great, so it really boils down to handling, which is personal.

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!
Fuji X users: Is anyone getting the XF 23mm?
This lens looks very cool. But I see little use in having both the 35 and the 23.

(Yes, basically I'm asking: 35 vs 50mm and why?)

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

ChirreD posted:

This lens looks very cool. But I see little use in having both the 35 and the 23.

35mm FOV is usually more flexible in framing and situations. 50mm FOV is more selective and it is my preferred focal length when I'm out to shoot seriously because I 'see' in the 50mm FOV. Otherwise I just put a 35mm on when I go out because I won't know what I'm shooting, like friends, food, and random stuff.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

ChirreD posted:

Because the 23 is likely to have much much better autofocus, and is generally considered the most versatile all-around focal length (35mm).

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

ChirreD posted:

I've used a few 35mm lenses on various systems for street / walkabout shooting, and I find it's the best prime FOV for unknown subjects. While I could use the zoom, it adds bulk and is not as discreet.

On another note: anyone watching the news on a supposed full frame NEX that's coming in October? I really hope the lenses are there to back that body and make the sensor shine. Hopefully no flip-phone interface, either.

krooj fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 16, 2013

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Since we're still on Fujichat (let's face it, this is the Fuji X thread), does anyone have a case they particularly like for their X-E1? I'd kinda like something that can go inside or clip onto a larger bag, as I have a Timbuk2 Sycamore that goes with my everywhere. I was thinking about maybe a Crumpler Haven or something but I'm interested in other peoples thoughts.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Digital Jesus posted:

Since we're still on Fujichat (let's face it, this is the Fuji X thread), does anyone have a case they particularly like for their X-E1? I'd kinda like something that can go inside or clip onto a larger bag, as I have a Timbuk2 Sycamore that goes with my everywhere. I was thinking about maybe a Crumpler Haven or something but I'm interested in other peoples thoughts.

Make your own drat thread fuji haver.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Mr. Despair posted:

Make your own drat thread fuji haver.

As someone with both an E-M5 and X100s, my opinion is: Stop talking about interchangeable lens Fuji cameras :mad:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sony FF NEX rumors

35mm/2.8 55mm/1.8 85mm/1.8
Body $3000
second FF body coming next year

I don't know what to make off the Sony rumors. The Zeiss 16-70mm/4 was leak a few months before hand but nobody knew about the 18-105mm/4 until one day before the announcement. I hope they have a wide angle pancake up in their sleeves.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

whatever7 posted:

Sony FF NEX rumors

35mm/2.8 55mm/1.8 85mm/1.8
Body $3000
second FF body coming next year

I don't know what to make off the Sony rumors. The Zeiss 16-70mm/4 was leak a few months before hand but nobody knew about the 18-105mm/4 until one day before the announcement. I hope they have a wide angle pancake up in their sleeves.

There was a lot of talk about the 35/2.8 being modelled the ZM biogon 35/2.8, which would be nice.

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

alkanphel posted:

35mm FOV is usually more flexible in framing and situations. 50mm FOV is more selective and it is my preferred focal length when I'm out to shoot seriously because I 'see' in the 50mm FOV. Otherwise I just put a 35mm on when I go out because I won't know what I'm shooting, like friends, food, and random stuff.

That's a good description. Still, both are considered as a walk around lens.
I wonder how many people will use both. One or the other I can understand.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My theory about the 50mm focal length being popular is that its the cheapest way to make fast lens for 35mm format. There is nothing special about the focal length. (Yeah I know about the "what you see through viewfinder is same size as what you see with your other eye" argument.)

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Your theory is right.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I'm going with some friends to go apple picking for a weekend and I was thinking of using the opportunity to rent an X-E1 and give the platform a try. I definitely want to try the 27mm pancake but I was wondering what would be a better choice to try; the 18-55mm or a 14mm and 35mm combo. While I'm sure the prime combo would be recommended, cost is a bit of a factor. Particularly since I'm only going to be using it for the weekend and I want to try to save up as much as I can to switch over.

Also, is there anything I should be aware of when using lensrentals.com?

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

krooj posted:

There was a lot of talk about the 35/2.8 being modelled the ZM biogon 35/2.8, which would be nice.

It's far more likely that it's based on the Sonnar that's on the RX1 (just one stop slower), since a Biogon design would be very prone to color shifts and other oblique light weirdness.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Edward IV posted:

I'm going with some friends to go apple picking for a weekend and I was thinking of using the opportunity to rent an X-E1 and give the platform a try. I definitely want to try the 27mm pancake but I was wondering what would be a better choice to try; the 18-55mm or a 14mm and 35mm combo. While I'm sure the prime combo would be recommended, cost is a bit of a factor. Particularly since I'm only going to be using it for the weekend and I want to try to save up as much as I can to switch over.

Also, is there anything I should be aware of when using lensrentals.com?

I would try out the 35mm because you wouldn't have AF problem with the 14mm or the zoom.

In term of AF speed
14>= 18-55 > 23 > 35 > 60
I don't know where the 18mm or the 27mm fall, but should be close to the zoom.

When you get the gears make sure the body firmware is 2.0 and the lens firmware is 3.0.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

ChirreD posted:

I've got a lot of friends who own both focal lengths. But some bring out both on a walkaround while others only bring out either one of them. I think you're looking for an objective answer to a very subjective question which is gonna be hard.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I'm considering making the mirrorless switch and selling off some of my entry level canon gear. I was considering it around tax season, but I got a credit card offer with 0% interest for a while, so I figure I should make one big purchase.

I'm down to the OM-D vs X-E1 decision. Keh has a good deal on om-d bodies and lenses, but that Fuji color calls me. The big thing stopping me from pulling the trigger on the Fuji is the cost coupled with the seeming lack of EF to x-mount adapters. It seems like m43 has several options, some of which even offer aperture control on the adapter itself.

Has anyone seen any plans for a EF to X-mount adapter with an aperture ring? I'd unload some of my gear no matter which I got, but I'd at least like to keep using my macro lens and the thrifty fifty.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

ChirreD posted:

I have the 23mm on pre-order and I currently own the 35mm which I don't plan on getting rid of. I tend to disagree with people when they say that the 35mm (or equivalent) and 50mm focal lengths are redundant. For a bit I was shooting exclusively with an X100 then eventually got an X-Pro 1 with the 35mm and I was kind of shocked to see how much difference there was with regards to how the scene was compressed due to the different focal lengths.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

hcenvirons posted:

I'm down to the OM-D vs X-E1 decision. Keh has a good deal on om-d bodies and lenses, but that Fuji color calls me. The big thing stopping me from pulling the trigger on the Fuji is the cost coupled with the seeming lack of EF to x-mount adapters. It seems like m43 has several options, some of which even offer aperture control on the adapter itself.

Has anyone seen any plans for a EF to X-mount adapter with an aperture ring? I'd unload some of my gear no matter which I got, but I'd at least like to keep using my macro lens and the thrifty fifty.

I bought the Kipon adapter for EF to m4/3 but ironically never used it much because the doubling of focal length was just too much and the lenses were too big on the OM-D. These 2 photos were taken with a 100mm adapted onto the OM-D: http://flic.kr/p/dVMmLc and http://flic.kr/p/dWyZJr

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
If you want to use EF lenses you may as well just get an SL1.

Also, Fujirumors posted a leaked press release for the X-100 firmware update that got delayed. It's so nice that Fuji is adding features to the X-100 instead of holding them back to drive sales of the X-100s. It's almost like a company run by human beings who think of customers as other human beings!

http://www.fujirumors.com/first-sample-taken-with-fujis-new-x-mount-camera-another-leaked-x100-press-release-at-fujifilm-middle-east/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schweg
Nov 15, 2004
Yes.
I'm looking to buy my first camera and learn about photography. I want it to be something I can take traveling or carry around town easily so I think I've settled on a compact system of some sort. Trying to keep it to entry-level-ish price range for now (though hopefully with an upgrade path if I ever want to trade up for a nicer body after buying lenses).

Amazon and B&H have the Panasonic DMC-G5 with 14-42mm lens for $358. The reviews looks pretty good. The biggest complaint seems to be that the kit lens zoom action is "notchy."

I liked the camera when I went to a store and tried it out, though obviously I don't really know what to look for yet. The notchy zoom action was noticeable but I'm not sure how big a deal it actually is.

Any major flaws I should be aware of? Other cameras in the same price range I should try out first?