Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Trebuchet King posted:

Yikes. The only knife I have of my own is a bread knife, so it looks like I'll have to do some scrounging/borrowing. It'll take a few days for my coat to get up here from my ma's so I've got some time to put everything together.

I think the main reason I wanted to bring something in was more to show it's something I care a lot about--one of my biggest motivations in pursuing this is just learning more stuff to improve my craft.

Thanks again for the advice, dudes and dudettes. It's nice feeling optimistic again.

Bring your bread knife, and a large spoon. Maybe a warped cutting board. It shows that even though you're not that well-equipped, you have a can-do attitude and are willing to give it your best!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
If I were staging for a bakery, I'd bring two things with me and nothing else. Those two things would be a large and a small heatproof solid-core flexible spatula (the bowl-scraping kind, not griddle-flippers) that I was really comfortable with. Everything else, the kitchen will likely have something serviceable, but if you aren't comfortable with their scrapers then you've got fumbling awkward trouble at the most crucial times.

I was a caterer and then a baker and then a short-order cook and I consider the right scraper spatula to be more important than the right knives. Not by much, but random chef knives are usually at least useable, while random scrapers are often completely worthless.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
Do any of you use "merry chef" ovens and have you uploaded new sound files to it?

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.
Again, "This isn't a sample or anything, I just had some extra [good] lying around and I thought you might be hungry."

They likely won't make any decisions on it, but they'll remember you as, "That guy who brought us cookies".

Cercies
Dec 3, 2010

Living the dream
Anyone coming in to Portland this week for feast Portland?

My chef is participating in seven events during it and it should be a killer business week. Then she dropped some catering gigs on us too for the week. I am not sure our kitchen is going to make it out alive without the two lead line cooks disfiguring each other.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm not the most experienced person here (probably the least), but are we seriously recommending that people bring treats to a stage like this is a thing that happens?

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Ben Soosneb posted:

I just realised that I hand roll 250 * 48 = 12000 meatballs a year.

I had to tell someone that. Have a nice day.

I hand cut at the very least 52 weeks * 14 batches * 1500 pieces = 1,092,000 pieces of candy every year. I've been doing this for 7 years.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Splizwarf posted:

If I were staging for a bakery, I'd bring two things with me and nothing else. Those two things would be a large and a small heatproof solid-core flexible spatula (the bowl-scraping kind, not griddle-flippers) that I was really comfortable with. Everything else, the kitchen will likely have something serviceable, but if you aren't comfortable with their scrapers then you've got fumbling awkward trouble at the most crucial times.

I was a caterer and then a baker and then a short-order cook and I consider the right scraper spatula to be more important than the right knives. Not by much, but random chef knives are usually at least useable, while random scrapers are often completely worthless.

Oh, man. If someone messed up my good offset spatula or my scraper, they'd never find the body.

Never.

Also, bring a pen and a notebook. Take copious notes as to how they want poo poo done, and any specific recipes they want used, so you can reference them without having to go looking all the time.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

No Wave posted:

I'm not the most experienced person here (probably the least), but are we seriously recommending that people bring treats to a stage like this is a thing that happens?
I recommend against it.

heyfresh888
Feb 8, 2010
I quit working for Thomas Keller. I'm make more money doing nothing.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

heyfresh888 posted:

I quit working for [any chef anyone has ever heard of]. I'm make more money doing nothing.

Sounds about right. Was it a good experience at least, though? I met him at a talk he did in Chicago once, he sat down with me and the people I was with for a couple minutes to talk, seemed like an ok guy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just got my first job in the industry and I'm making minimum wage ($10.55) + tips. It's almost half as much as I was making before. Thank god my parents pay for health insurance, and it's a really good cafe that bakes everything in-house so I'm happy to learn this stuff from the ground up.

Also it took me a long time to get hired because I have absolutely zero experience in food service. I thought I could just work at Peet's or Starbucks or something for 6 months to look more attractive to employers, but Starbucks never gave me the time of day. I couldn't even get an interview. How the gently caress do you get hired at Starbucks?

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 17, 2013

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

How the gently caress do you get hired at Starbucks?

Have no experience in anything so there's a chance you'll put up with their poo poo for more than a few weeks because you have no other options.

edit: for reference, I've been in the industry for 5 or 6 years now, all at good places and have built myself up a pretty decent resume between being a line cook / management / baker / caterer (for other people and freelance on my own) / pastry chef / pretty much I've done a bit of everything, and I'm still making about 1/3 of what I was as an engineering co-op STUDENT, as in still in university and didn't know poo poo. Don't ever expect to be paid well.

Naelyan fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Sep 17, 2013

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
My husband right now is a cook in the military. He has ~2 years left on his enlistment. We're trying to decide if he should get out or stay in. I absolutely despise being a military spouse for so many reasons--among other things, we have been restricted on travel, have live in a town where I make terrible money for my career (teacher, and we are now in the 6th year of a statewide pay freeze and they just did away with master's degree pay so I dropped out of grad school). and worst of all, my husband has terrible hours. Like sometimes he will work 14 days in a row including the weekend for 12+ hours. They also never give him a schedule so that we can plan around work for things. It's always day by day "come in for early shift" or "come in for late shift" but it's a crapshoot as to when he will be off. Early shift means he's off anywhere between 2-5 PM and late shift means anywhere from 7-9 PM. Lately it's been closer to 9 PM. They were going to put him on nighttime baking and prep, but then they changed their minds. He used to do that last year and the best thing about it was he went in at a set time every day, worked shorter shifts than the daytime people and had every weekend off.

However, despite all this, there are amazing benefits. We both pay nothing as far as health care/medical bills (unheard of in America) and he also gets a housing allowance on top of his base pay. I just have a feeling, in the civilian food industry, the benefits suck. And I'm sure he won't make what he's currently making outside of the Army, if he decided to stick with culinary for a career.

Is there any chance he could have a normal 40 hour schedule outside of the Army? In the civilian industry, do they give you a schedule for the next week or two in advance? What kind of places should he apply to if that's what he wants? He is just so tired every day and it's awful. By the time he's out he'll have 6 years in the Army kitchen, and he did culinary training in high school, and he is thinking about doing a community college culinary program for an associate's degree because schools like Le Cordon Bleu seem like a huge waste of money. Yet he insists the kitchen is what he loves to do and is good at.

I figure even if he still has lovely hours outside the military, at least we can move so I can make more money (which our current state ranks 48th worst for teacher pay so most places have to be better than here), and we can pick wherever he gets a good job offer. Plus we won't have to get 1847891479257 people to sign a leave packet before we can go travel. He'll just either put in a vacation request or he'll take some unpaid time.

Any insight on what the industry could throw at us in the real world?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Work for a hotel. The pay will be decent, and military guys are easily promotable. Hours should be fairly set, and schedules are at least weekly.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Edit : Double post!

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 17, 2013

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

I don't mean to scare you... no, wait, I totally do.

$10.55 is more than I make after more than a decade in this business. :smithicide:

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

My husband right now is a cook in the military. He has ~2 years left on his enlistment. We're trying to decide if he should get out or stay in. I absolutely despise being a military spouse for so many reasons--among other things, we have been restricted on travel, have live in a town where I make terrible money for my career (teacher, and we are now in the 6th year of a statewide pay freeze and they just did away with master's degree pay so I dropped out of grad school). and worst of all, my husband has terrible hours. Like sometimes he will work 14 days in a row including the weekend for 12+ hours. They also never give him a schedule so that we can plan around work for things. It's always day by day "come in for early shift" or "come in for late shift" but it's a crapshoot as to when he will be off. Early shift means he's off anywhere between 2-5 PM and late shift means anywhere from 7-9 PM. Lately it's been closer to 9 PM. They were going to put him on nighttime baking and prep, but then they changed their minds. He used to do that last year and the best thing about it was he went in at a set time every day, worked shorter shifts than the daytime people and had every weekend off.

However, despite all this, there are amazing benefits. We both pay nothing as far as health care/medical bills (unheard of in America) and he also gets a housing allowance on top of his base pay. I just have a feeling, in the civilian food industry, the benefits suck. And I'm sure he won't make what he's currently making outside of the Army, if he decided to stick with culinary for a career.

Is there any chance he could have a normal 40 hour schedule outside of the Army? In the civilian industry, do they give you a schedule for the next week or two in advance? What kind of places should he apply to if that's what he wants? He is just so tired every day and it's awful. By the time he's out he'll have 6 years in the Army kitchen, and he did culinary training in high school, and he is thinking about doing a community college culinary program for an associate's degree because schools like Le Cordon Bleu seem like a huge waste of money. Yet he insists the kitchen is what he loves to do and is good at.

I figure even if he still has lovely hours outside the military, at least we can move so I can make more money (which our current state ranks 48th worst for teacher pay so most places have to be better than here), and we can pick wherever he gets a good job offer. Plus we won't have to get 1847891479257 people to sign a leave packet before we can go travel. He'll just either put in a vacation request or he'll take some unpaid time.

Honestly, make sure he's aware that staying in the kitchen is going to be a very hard row to hoe. The hours don't get shorter and the pay is abysmally worse. I can count the number of full-time cooks I know who actually only work 40 hours a week on my fingers, benefits are mostly unheard of unless you're in a hotel, and taking time off is almost as bad as the military because it's often seen as not being a team player. The pay's poo poo, too.

If he's served a full enlistment, he's got GI Bill. If he had an overseas deployment, he's got Post 9/11 GI Bill. Tell him to go to school and get a real bachelor's in something useful, not a culinary degree. It's essentially free, hell they'll pay him to go to school, and he'll go a hell of a lot farther getting a degree on Uncle Sam's dime and a real job than turning into a kitchen burnout. Especially if you're planning to stay in the teaching field, which is pretty much paid peanuts everywhere. Veterans get hiring preference a lot of places as well.

That way at least if he still insists on trying to cook for a living, he's got a backup plan to get a real job.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Mu Zeta posted:

Also it took me a long time to get hired because I have absolutely zero experience in food service. I thought I could just work at Peet's or Starbucks or something for 6 months to look more attractive to employers, but Starbucks never gave me the time of day. I couldn't even get an interview. How the gently caress do you get hired at Starbucks?

I'm not sure if working at Starbucks would help you. I have a buddy that works at Starbucks and he said that none of the Starbuck's have food permits (which I don't find very believable), but most importantly all of those sandwiches and stuff are pre-made and shipped to the stores. For actual cooking experience, you can get as much from working at Starbucks as you can from microwaving random poo poo at your house :v:.

EDIT: Congrats on the job, though. The same goes for places like Applebee's. I worked with a guy who was a manager at an Applebee's once and he said that they just have drawers like in fast food places to cook their steaks and poo poo to temp :gonk:. Not like I'd eat there since the food isn't great and after loving over their employees by cutting their shifts because of OBAMA, but having a "medium" heat drawer that you slap a steak in is just terrifying.

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 17, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Business Gorillas posted:

EDIT: Congrats on the job, though. The same goes for places like Applebee's. I worked with a guy who was a manager at an Applebee's once and he said that they just have drawers like in fast food places to cook their steaks and poo poo to temp :gonk:. Not like I'd eat there since the food isn't great and after loving over their employees by cutting their shifts because of OBAMA, but having a "medium" heat drawer that you slap a steak in is just terrifying.
I dunno. Sounds like sous vide, but dry. Not much of a sear, but that's probably obvious already if you've had any of their steaks.

heyfresh888
Feb 8, 2010

Naelyan posted:

Sounds about right. Was it a good experience at least, though? I met him at a talk he did in Chicago once, he sat down with me and the people I was with for a couple minutes to talk, seemed like an ok guy.

TK is a money man and a figure head. He doesn't actually cook and if he does, it usually sucks (read: well below the serving standard). He's just a lazy figure head now. He's lucky enough that he attracts all the talent to his restaurants, once that stops he will stop. He's fairly out of touch in the top 50 / new *** scene and food direction.

I worked at Bouchon, Per Se and The French Laundry. I can go anywhere and do anything I want now I guess you could say but I'm a bit burned out. Not to mention I've really limited myself to that sort of food and cooking.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed working at those places. It just gets old hearing the same mantra day in and day out when most people are striving to be better. It's a giant social scene. It has become a lot less about the food and more about the social process of advancement.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

My husband right now is a cook in the military. He has ~2 years left on his enlistment. We're trying to decide if he should get out or stay in. I absolutely despise being a military spouse.

Stay in.

Whatever shithole you're stationed in is temporary- you'll PCS soon enough. Stop hanging around other military spouses, that will improve your quality of life right there.

If he gets out and goes into the industry with just Army experience on his resume he'll be an entry level cook. Between that and your teacher's salary you two are looking at a hugely reduced standard of living and no benefits.

AND his hours aren't going to get any better- if anything they'll get LESS predictable and you will have less opportunity to take time off to travel and see family, etc.

I can afford to cook for a living ONLY because my husband is in the Army and I don't have to worry about health insurance or job security.

Don't even think of wasting the GI bill on Le Cordon Bleu.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

heyfresh888 posted:

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed working at those places. It just gets old hearing the same mantra day in and day out when most people are striving to be better. It's a giant social scene. It has become a lot less about the food and more about the social process of advancement.
I'm really interested in what you mean by this - I totally believe you, I just don't intuitively understand what the social process of advancement is in this case.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

No Wave posted:

I'm really interested in what you mean by this - I totally believe you, I just don't intuitively understand what the social process of advancement is in this case.

Not being in the starred world myself, but knowing a few who are and more than two PR kids, I'm guessing he means that people are playing the "cook for Keller, stage Noma, get two gold stars for being quiet at nap time and open your own kitchen somewhere to great fanfare" hustle.

heyfresh888
Feb 8, 2010

No Wave posted:

More often than not, it's not entirely how great of a cook you are. A lot of people will just show up and do their jobs really well, able to think progressively and have a major impact on the fundamental progression of the cuisine in those spaces. That however doesn't advance them among the company, you can be left on a station to die if you aren't the laughing at joke likable kind of person. More recently at least at TFL and Per Se there has been some what of a change of command, and there is a gap between the old and new.

Not to mention a lot of younger cooks are coming around with a high talent level. In a company that is built around paying your dues and slower progression, the fast advancement doesn't fit. If you don't fit the social mold, you are just a body, I know this because I was a body for 4 years across all 7 michelin stars and TK didn't even know my name, not even when I was at the laundry.

People only hear about the VERY few successful people who come from those kitchens, not about the thousands who loving hate the guy and those places because of the abuse both socially and financially.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I have way less experience than most of the posters here, so correct me if I'm wrong but any cook working 40 hours a week is probably a cook who's looking for more hours to pay the bills. Wages suck, and cooks live by working tons of hours.

If you work 40 paid hours a week every week for a year, you're at 2,080 hours per year.

The US Bureau of Labor Statistics says a full time cook averages between $8.97 (fast food) and $12.44 (institutions) per hour, with restaurant and short order cooks falling between those two figures and $11.29 per hour average across all jobs. So at 40 hours a week every week you're looking at $18,657 to $25,875 per year, or $23,483 averaged across all surveyed wages. I figure roughly $5,000 of that is going to federal income tax/social security/ect.

Ok so say he's more than a line cook. US BLS says the mean income for a Chef/Head Cook is $22.39 an hour, so 40 hours a week every week puts you at $46,571.2, probably subtracting another ~$9,500 form those paychecks for taxes unless I've done something horribly wrong.

If you get health coverage in a restaurant job you're fairly lucky, and its probably going to be poor (certainly compared to government benefits). You're not going to get a pension, though some employers may offer a 401k. Expect no paid vacation time, little if any sick-leave. So figure even more of your take-home pay going towards health insurance (:retrogames:) and retirement savings.

Depending where you work, it may be entirely possible to get a regular schedule. However expect a whole lot of calls on your day off asking you to come in, or staying for a double shift because some one called in sick or quit. No matter where you are in the industry, the food business is high stress and you're going to be coming home tired after every shift. I love cooking and the sense of pride from making good food, and the fantasy of having my own restaurant or something is always in the back of my head. I've never worked a shift in a Kitchen without thinking "Jesus Christ I need to get out of this job." If he loves to cook my advice would be to enjoy cooking for friends and family, and get a degree in something else you like which will allow you to get a job with better working conditions.

OtherworldlyInvader fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 17, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

heyfresh888 posted:

I worked at Bouchon, Per Se and The French Laundry. I can go anywhere and do anything I want now I guess you could say but I'm a bit burned out. Not to mention I've really limited myself to that sort of food

I would kill for a decent cook to apply. We pay more than Michelin restaurants, you get PTO, you don't get called in on your days off, you always get your hours, and overtime if you want it. And yet all I get are goddamn kids straight out of culinary school that think they're hefs.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

And yet all I get are goddamn kids straight out of culinary school that think they're hefs.

What are "hefs"?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

It's like a chef, but you forget the 'c'

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
Thanks for all the replies. I figured as much that we'd take a huge pay cut if he went to civilian kitchen from the Army. The thing is, he has back problems from a bad jump so they might med board him anyway. We won't know for several months what we're going to do, because they're currently treating him. If he doesn't respond well enough, they're going to start the process to get him out. What we're hoping is that they will medically retire him, so that he gets a pension and we get to keep Tricare. If that's what happens, if he wants to work in the food industry, we won't have to worry about health insurance for him (or me) ever again plus it makes $10/hr not so bad. But on the other hand I think he's crazy, wanting to keep working in a kitchen when he has a bad back.

We live in NC right now, and my pay is downright awful. However, we were looking at possibly moving to Florida if he gets out, the reason being I would get a giant (like, five figure type) pay raise, and there would be plenty of resorts there where he could probably find work. If we didn't get to keep Tricare, I could put him on a group plan at work, which is $$$ but it would keep him covered. But it's looking like because of his service-related injuries/issues, we should be able to get above 30% which results in a medical retirement more often than not. And my big raise would help balance out what we lose from the military income.

However, if the med board doesn't happen he plans to re-class into another MOS. And then hopefully we can PCS out of NC, but he's been telling me that lately if you re-enlist to re-class, you have to stabilize at your current duty station, which means more time here that I'm on a pay freeze.

I like the idea of him going to school for a bachelor's, but he's really not a school person. He has told me he either wants to stay in the culinary arena, or learn a trade. If he chooses the trade route, my dad retired out of IBEW and could get him in the door for an electrical apprenticeship, and then at least my husband after completing all that would make union wages. And if he really didn't want to use his GI Bill at all, he could give it to me so I could get a master's in school administration and make a lot more money as a principal someday. I have no problem making more money than him, because right now he makes twice as much as I do, so it would just be like we trade places. I'm pretty sure no matter what happens we won't wind up uninsured and living in a box though.

Anyway, I can at least guarantee you guys 100% he will not be doing an overpriced culinary school. If he decides to do any schooling at all toward it, it will be in a community college program.

heyfresh888
Feb 8, 2010

Thanks for all the replies. I figured as much that we'd take a huge pay cut if he went to civilian kitchen from the Army. The thing is, he has back problems from a bad jump so they might med board him anyway. We won't know for several months what we're going to do, because they're currently treating him. If he doesn't respond well enough, they're going to start the process to get him out. What we're hoping is that they will medically retire him, so that he gets a pension and we get to keep Tricare. If that's what happens, if he wants to work in the food industry, we won't have to worry about health insurance for him (or me) ever again plus it makes $10/hr not so bad. But on the other hand I think he's crazy, wanting to keep working in a kitchen when he has a bad back.

We live in NC right now, and my pay is downright awful. However, we were looking at possibly moving to Florida if he gets out, the reason being I would get a giant (like, five figure type) pay raise, and there would be plenty of resorts there where he could probably find work. If we didn't get to keep Tricare, I could put him on a group plan at work, which is $$$ but it would keep him covered. But it's looking like because of his service-related injuries/issues, we should be able to get above 30% which results in a medical retirement more often than not. And my big raise would help balance out what we lose from the military income.

However, if the med board doesn't happen he plans to re-class into another MOS. And then hopefully we can PCS out of NC, but he's been telling me that lately if you re-enlist to re-class, you have to stabilize at your current duty station, which means more time here that I'm on a pay freeze.

I like the idea of him going to school for a bachelor's, but he's really not a school person. He has told me he either wants to stay in the culinary arena, or learn a trade. If he chooses the trade route, my dad retired out of IBEW and could get him in the door for an electrical apprenticeship, and then at least my husband after completing all that would make union wages. And if he really didn't want to use his GI Bill at all, he could give it to me so I could get a master's in school administration and make a lot more money as a principal someday. I have no problem making more money than him, because right now he makes twice as much as I do, so it would just be like we trade places. I'm pretty sure no matter what happens we won't wind up uninsured and living in a box though.

Anyway, I can at least guarantee you guys 100% he will not be doing an overpriced culinary school. If he decides to do any schooling at all toward it, it will be in a community college program.

A lot of schools will offer bend over backwards to get vets enrolled since they get a kick down from the government. I used my GI Bill to attend the French Culinary Institute and it paid for the entire program.

I would suggest finding a skilled trade like certified welding or something, I know here in the Napa Valley, they make a killing doing food grade tank welding.

On an extreme side note, it's probably wise to consider trying to cash all your benefits out sooner than later. I was placed on full sequester recently and every month more and more is getting chopped away. Next month I'm on notice to lose my SGLI. VA > Tri-Care to be honest.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Kitchen work probably will exacerbate his back problems as well, that's something to keep in mind.

rysfade
Mar 31, 2009

Active duty lurker here; just wanted to chime in and say that as long as he's active duty, he for sure will have the Post 9/11 GI Bill (regardless of whether or not he's deployed), which does also cover trade/vocational programs. It pays up to $18,500/year for school and will toss in the housing allowance too, so if he does want to go to school for something else, it doesn't necessarily need to be for a Bachelor's degree.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Kitchen work probably will exacerbate his back problems as well, that's something to keep in mind.

And how. If he's got back problems now, a few months of 8 hours straight on his feet doing manual work is going to make him with he hadn't done that. :smith:

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Staying at the same duty station isn't ALWAYS part of the deal to retrain for a new MOS- in our case we HAD to PCS because there were no slots for his new MOS at our current base. I'm assuming he's airborne? (you said something about a bad jump) So basically no matter how you slice it, he's going to need a new career path soon, preferably one that won't exacerbate his back problems. Line cooking is a poor choice. It's REALLY hard to get into a position in the restaurant world where you sit down on anything other than a toilet during any given 8-12 hour shift. If he does really want to stay in the culinary field, look at corporate and institutional dining. The companies tend to be larger, the hours more humane and regular, and there are benefits to be had. Morrison Dining (a subsidiary of Compass Group) does that sort of thing all over the country and they offer good benefits and regular hours. Look at compass-usa.com (I think) and you can search jobs by state and see what the job market is like. (the site is confusing- "morrison" jobs are always institutional, "Eurest" and "Restaurant Associates" tend to be corporate and "FLIK" is either schools or high-end corporate.) Aramark and Sodhexo are the two other big foodservice contractors in the US. Around here we tend to define "the industry" as "crazy people like us who are passionate about cooking and serving amazing food in restaurants" but there are plenty of foodservice jobs that are not like that. "Hospitals, Prisons and Schools" are words that strike fear into the heart of foodie cooks, but you know what? If your skillset is organizing and deploying huge amounts of food on time and on budget, running a nursing home kitchen can be a pretty cushy gig that will give you the hours and benefits to spend time with your family and set up an amazing home kitchen that you actually have time to cook in.

The week after I took a job managing a restaurant, my landlord replaced our stove. I didn't notice for days. I've used it once. There is something to be said for work-life balance.

If he gets the chance to reclass to something he likes before he gets medically retired, that seems like the best case scenario, despite you guys maybe having to stay in SC longer. That way he learns a new (hopefully marketable) skill/trade and when he gets out he can go to work and you can use the GI bill for your Masters degree.

Good luck! And feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Hip Hoptimus Prime, I know nothing about the military but I just want to express my condolences to you for being a teacher in NC. A good friend of mine taught elementary school here for 5 years and had to stop doing it because her stress level was through the roof, and she made poo poo for pay. She also abandoned her Master's due to the elimination of the extra pay for the advanced degree. Luckily I was able to help get her a full time job at the company I work for, despite her having no experience in this field. She even makes more money now, entry-level, than she did teaching.

Hang in there.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I just wanted to share our new catering director's menu writing skills with you all

e: Yes, that is two proteins with 3 veg, 3 sauces, and a starch.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 18, 2013

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I just wanted to share our new catering director's menu writing skills with you all

e: Yes, that is two proteins with 3 veg, 3 sauces, and a starch.

well for loving $44 / head, it better have AT LEAST 3 veg and two protein on a single plate. and hey, there are two starches - gotta have that dinner roll

god I hate corporate catering so much. I just got back from a "fancy" evening dinner meeting at a law firm, and the food - while not entirely untasty cooking and seasoning wise - was wholly predictably boring and anemic.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

They're our bread and butter though. I do usually get to do my favorite menu, which is chef's choice, $60/head and we can make whatever we want.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
yeah honestly if I were still working kitchenside, I'd love catering. so predictable, so easy, such good margins...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
Last year we had a plated event around the 500 mark, and when they were planning the menu with our catering dept or whoever, they wanted *three* proteins. Chef helpfully pointed out that we'd have to rent plates big enough for such shenanigans. Oh, and the night of the event, we had, like, 50 no-shows. Temp banquet servers had smoked filets and airline chicken breast for dinner that evening.

• Locked thread