Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

Bash Ironfist posted:

Yeah, thats what I mean. Like I remember there was all that drama with edge's wife or something? I may not be remembering it right.

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Matt Hardy. Somehow, Lita cheating on him with Edge led to him being fired while Edge got the biggest push of his career. Wrestling is weird like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Matt Hardy. Somehow, Lita cheating on him with Edge led to him being fired while Edge got the biggest push of his career. Wrestling is weird like that.

spongeh posted:

Are you not mixing up Matt Hardy + Edge & Lita?

That's what I was thinking of, thanks!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

His push also happened due to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJL27oUb1gY

Daniel LaRusso
Sep 2, 2003
Put him in a bodybag Yeaaaaaaah!
Is there an easy way to find out when different indy shows are coming to my area? The shows are tough to find since they aren't all on one site.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Never noticed it but wow Matt Hardy was a jackass from before he even hit the ramp. Littering. What an rear end in a top hat.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Daniel LaRusso posted:

Is there an easy way to find out when different indy shows are coming to my area? The shows are tough to find since they aren't all on one site.

The Observer site puts up a weekly list of indie stuff. I doubt it is exhaustive but it is a start.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

oldpainless posted:

How's JC feel about Fandango?

quote:

"I'm like, 'This is an opportunity I've been waiting for 13, 14 years. I've either got to really embrace this thing or just go back to working for EWA in Maine making 50 bucks a night,'" he says before I bring up one of his old jobs. "Or Applebee's, and I'm not doing that, bro."
Interview

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

Hardy took it REALLY badly and complained about it a ton online (even after the company told him not to): Edge was more professional about it and rolled with it when fans started using it against him and managed to turn it into legit heat. It's poor Lita who REALLY came out of it badly in a sense: the fans harassed her for being a 'slut' so hard she basically retired because of it. Somehow I'm not surprised it was Lita who never stopped being insulted over it (until she retired anyway: when she made her one night returns a few years later the fans had finally put it behind them. Switching to PG probably helped. Oh god, now I'm remembering the 'live sex celebration'...)

Anyway, poking through Ric Flair's book, and he's recounting a story when he wrestled in a foreign country when everyone thought it was real and when Roddy Piper tried to cheat to help him win soldiers of the regime (it was one of THOSE countries) actually aimed their GUNS at him, and not in a joking 'You stop that!' manner, but in a legit 'I believe this is all real and you are cheating my home country's hero and I am going to murder you for it', and I've realized that a lot of the older-school wrestlers have all these stories which is basically 'And so we had to fight our way to the dressing room/we had to flee the arena under cover of darkness/somehow we got through the crowd of fans who were so riled up they were about to attempt a lynching' and so on. The storytellers present it as segments of a lost era that demonstrates that modern wrestling is 'lacking' something (Do you think today's fans would have tried to swarm the ring and kill Randy Orton had he cheated to beat Daniel Bryan?): to me it's something from a bygone era that should be as dead and buried as possible. My question is this: are there any stories where this DIDN'T end with 'And the heels escaped from the crowd they'd angered so much'? I have a feeling these kind of tales wouldn't provoke so mucb nostalgia if there was a story or two where a wrestler ended up murdered because he did his job too well. Bruiser Brody does not count: he was killed by a fellow wrestler and it happened backstage.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I dunno, "wrestler torn apart by angry mob" just doesn't seem that likely. Mick Foley makes a really good point in his first book that even if the crowd decided to rush the ring, you need to get in first, and all of a sudden everyone in there is on the same side, and that's not the side you're on. Getting legit kicked in the face as you tried to get into the ring is a really good way to lose your hard-on for beating up a bad guy. And as soon as someone backstage realises it's all going pear-shaped in the arena, everyone else back there would roll in as cavalry, and pretty much everyone back there is bigger and fitter than you.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Memento1979 posted:

I dunno, "wrestler torn apart by angry mob" just doesn't seem that likely. Mick Foley makes a really good point in his first book that even if the crowd decided to rush the ring, you need to get in first, and all of a sudden everyone in there is on the same side, and that's not the side you're on. Getting legit kicked in the face as you tried to get into the ring is a really good way to lose your hard-on for beating up a bad guy. And as soon as someone backstage realises it's all going pear-shaped in the arena, everyone else back there would roll in as cavalry, and pretty much everyone back there is bigger and fitter than you.

Every wrestler I've ever heard interviewed about wrestling in Puerto Rico says that guys would literally be waiting for the wrestlers in the parking lot to attack/stab them, and that it was almost a rib to make a guy be in the main event so they'd be the last one out of the building. I think Flair talks pretty extensively about this on the Austin podcast.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Memento1979 posted:

I know I read in a wrestling book somewhere the author said that when a guy rushed the ring, it was absolutely vital to kick him in the face, punch him off the apron, etc. before he could do anything. Because a riot usually starts with that one guy, and if you just waste him, no one else is going to pluck up the courage.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Are there best two out of three matches that have actually ended on the second fall, instead of going to the obligatory third?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Aurain posted:

Are there best two out of three matches that have actually ended on the second fall, instead of going to the obligatory third?

The Briscoes had a bunch I think.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Halloween Jack posted:

I know I read in a wrestling book somewhere the author said that when a guy rushed the ring, it was absolutely vital to kick him in the face, punch him off the apron, etc. before he could do anything. Because a riot usually starts with that one guy, and if you just waste him, no one else is going to pluck up the courage.

Like so

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

This one is funnier because the guy is just so hilariously out of shape.

Did any wrestler/promotion ever press charges against a fan that ran into the ring?

Jabba The American
Sep 5, 2011

I'm gonna have you thrown out of here in a minute!

I love that half second where he's standing up and realizes that Nash is already waiting for him. He still came all the way up because there's no turning back now, but it's obvious he knows he has made a huge mistake.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hall stomps the gently caress out of that dude, jesus.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

oldpainless posted:

Hall stomps the gently caress out of that dude, jesus.

Look at it this way, you're standing there out in the open practically in a speedo. You don't have any weapons on you. This idiot comes running into the ring, possibly drunk, high, whatever and is wearing street clothes, could very easily be hiding a knife, firearm, etc. If he's in a prone or vulnerable position, you don't wait for him to try and get up. Good solid kick to the side of the face while he's down is gonna make sure he stays down.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yeah, Razor was totally in the right. That guy should never have tried rushing the ring like that, I was just commenting on how hard he was being kicked.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The best is when a fan rushes the ring and the referee is the one that intercepts them and kicks the poo poo out of them. This happened on Nitro several times.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

oatgan posted:

The best is when a fan rushes the ring and the referee is the one that intercepts them and kicks the poo poo out of them. This happened on Nitro several times.

Yeah, on Nitro once a ref legit just choked a dude out, almost MMA style, and the announcers were absolutely burying him on commentary. It was great.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

The Nash NWO episode of the Steve Austin show went into detail about how at Bash at the Beach when bottles started being thrown and "a mark hit the ring" the 3 of them realized they were in the midst of getting the revered "real heat" that old timers always talk about and how it was the greatest thing ever (despite being scary). Austin gets so excited during the discussion that it sounds like he's about to whip and out and jerk off. I always find those "old school heat" stories fascinating.

One of things I remember vividly from reading Bret Hart's book years ago was when he described some poor heel getting stabbed in the gut by an unassuming little old lady in Puerto Rico.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

The Nash NWO episode of the Steve Austin show went into detail about how at Bash at the Beach when bottles started being thrown and "a mark hit the ring" the 3 of them realized they were in the midst of getting the revered "real heat" that old timers always talk about and how it was the greatest thing ever (despite being scary). Austin gets so excited during the discussion that it sounds like he's about to whip and out and jerk off. I always find those "old school heat" stories fascinating.

One of things I remember vividly from reading Bret Hart's book years ago was when he described some poor heel getting stabbed in the gut by an unassuming little old lady in Puerto Rico.

I forget who said it but I know it wasn't Bret Hart (maybe Flair?) but he was there when an old lady stabbed someone with a hat pin. Hat pins are about 6 inches long and equatable to an ice pick in shape and sharpness.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Bigass Moth posted:

I forget who said it but I know it wasn't Bret Hart (maybe Flair?) but he was there when an old lady stabbed someone with a hat pin. Hat pins are about 6 inches long and equatable to an ice pick in shape and sharpness.

Actually that sounds familiar to me. I think it was from Hart's book.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

oatgan posted:

That was Mark Curtis. He is mentioned a bunch in Foley's first book as he trained at the same place as Foley, and he mentions how he could have been a great wrestler he was just tiny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX3hnt3rFdY

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Bret Hart also told a story about how a heel jumped into a crowd in Puerto Rico and got an L carved into his stomach.

Wrestling fans were, still are, and will always be crazy.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What I find troublesome about the trend of fans rushing the ring in WCW is that apparently Bischoff started having plants rush the ring because he thought it gave the show an air of danger or some poo poo. It's amazing nobody died or sued due to permanent injury.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
What, exactly, is the commentating style of Carlos Cabrera and Marcelo Rodríguez like? I don't speak a word of Spanish so I don't have any way of appreciating it, but I've often wondered if their commentary is better than Cole and Lawler's to a bilingual fan. Is Rodríguez a heel? Does he have character traits, or is he more generic? Do they do translation when a wrestler is cutting a promo in English?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm not sure but Konnan was really burying Rodriguez the other day on MLW. He says Cabrera (and the recently fired/reassigned Hugo Savinovich) is great but Rodriguez just sucks.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

What was Ron Simmons' WCW title run like? Was it a bust? I'm not very familiar with that time period, but he seems like an odd choice to push to the top, and he wasn't treated like a big deal when he came to the WWF and dressed as a neon gladiator.

EDIT: Don't Step to Ron is an awesome theme, though.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ZDar Fan posted:

What was Ron Simmons' WCW title run like? Was it a bust? I'm not very familiar with that time period, but he seems like an odd choice to push to the top, and he wasn't treated like a big deal when he came to the WWF and dressed as a neon gladiator.

EDIT: Don't Step to Ron is an awesome theme, though.

he wrestled in the midcard against midcarders until he quietly dropped the belt back to vader. not the greatest of title runs.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cornwind Evil posted:

Anyway, poking through Ric Flair's book, and he's recounting a story when he wrestled in a foreign country when everyone thought it was real and when Roddy Piper tried to cheat to help him win soldiers of the regime (it was one of THOSE countries) actually aimed their GUNS at him, and not in a joking 'You stop that!' manner, but in a legit 'I believe this is all real and you are cheating my home country's hero and I am going to murder you for it', and I've realized that a lot of the older-school wrestlers have all these stories which is basically 'And so we had to fight our way to the dressing room/we had to flee the arena under cover of darkness/somehow we got through the crowd of fans who were so riled up they were about to attempt a lynching' and so on. The storytellers present it as segments of a lost era that demonstrates that modern wrestling is 'lacking' something (Do you think today's fans would have tried to swarm the ring and kill Randy Orton had he cheated to beat Daniel Bryan?): to me it's something from a bygone era that should be as dead and buried as possible. My question is this: are there any stories where this DIDN'T end with 'And the heels escaped from the crowd they'd angered so much'? I have a feeling these kind of tales wouldn't provoke so mucb nostalgia if there was a story or two where a wrestler ended up murdered because he did his job too well. Bruiser Brody does not count: he was killed by a fellow wrestler and it happened backstage.
This makes me wonder if there's any list of wrestlers who died while still active [and not because of drugs]. I was trying to figure out if Jerry Blackwell was still active when he died in a car accident. There must have been some prominent wrestlers who died by violence or in vehicle accidents. Magnum TA, Harley Race, and Danny Hodge all survived car accidents, and Ric Flair survived the plane crash that ended Johnny Valentine's career; that's just off the top of my head.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Halloween Jack posted:

This makes me wonder if there's any list of wrestlers who died while still active [and not because of drugs]. I was trying to figure out if Jerry Blackwell was still active when he died in a car accident. There must have been some prominent wrestlers who died by violence or in vehicle accidents. Magnum TA, Harley Race, and Danny Hodge all survived car accidents, and Ric Flair survived the plane crash that ended Johnny Valentine's career; that's just off the top of my head.

I think there's a distressing amount of Luchadores who got murdered while still active.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Faarooq was supposedly to be a fairly big player when he came in, and he really was pretty consistently in the featured upper-mid to second from the top mix in the Gladiator costume and both iterations of the Nation, until he transitioned to the Acolytes team.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Bruiser Brody was killed while still active.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Here's a list of wrestlers who committed suicide, many of whom were still active.

Rikidozan's the first guy who pops to mind other than Brody as far as murder victims go. It's actually kind of surprising how few fatal vehicle accidents there's been among wrestlers when you consider the amount of travel necessary in the job and the high amount of recreational drug use.

Edit: Dino Bravo was murdered in a probable mob hit, although he had actually retired one year before his death.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 16, 2013

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Thauros posted:

Here's a list of wrestlers who committed suicide, many of whom were still active.

Is there a book (in English) about Tony Halme? What a bizarre but eventful life.

I feel like I've read rumors about him getting a world title match, and maybe the WWF belt - before his ankle injury. Has that ever been given any credit besides random claims on the internet?

Red fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 16, 2013

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Thauros posted:

This led me to looking into the Von Eirch family, and good god :stare: That's Kennedy-level tragedy.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Aurain posted:

In Benoit's last PPV match he lost to MVP twice in a row and dropped the US title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.
In England a lot of heel wrestlers used to get cigarettes stubbed out on them if they went near the crowd. The female wrestler Klondyke Kate was apparently stabbed with a syringe full of Foot And Mouth Disease.

Those grannies took their wrestling seriously.