Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

benito posted:

The preferred name is Chelsea.

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

benito posted:

The preferred name is Chelsea.

Holy poo poo.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Ohhh I just got it :hurr:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Heh
Heh!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Can anyone here edit wikipedia? Cuz drat, that'd be great.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Now we just need to make a concerted effort to get it renamed the Chelsea, like that crazy Gavin guy and the M113 :v:.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

benito posted:

Long piece in Vanity Fair about the F-35 and its associated problems:
I really hate blatantly slanted hit-pieces like this. It does nothing but throw out misleading "factoids" and perpetuate myths. To nitpick a few from this article:

F-35 CAN'T FLY IN THE RAIN!!!
Sure, the F-35s delivered to the Marines are presently prohibited at flying in the rain, but only because they're still working towards IFR certification, not because they can't fly in the rain. (It can't fly at night right now, either, until it's certified for IFR.) People are reading way too much into out-of-context quips like this.

PRICE BALLOONING FROM $81 to $161M!!!
Flyaway cost isn't $161M, it's closer to $120M. Adjusting for inflation, the original estimate of $81M in 2001 dollars is $110M today. Cost overrun, yeah, but not quite the same as hyped. Also, nevermind the $1.5T number always trotted about is not acquisition cost, but lifecycle cost, a figure which usually includes about 3 or 4 decades worth of maintenance, training, future upgrades, etc. Love they always like to drop it in the same sentence as the original not-adjusted-for-inflation $233B 2001 acquisition cost estimates, though. Classy. Almost like they want people will conflate the two for false moral outrage.

Vanity Fair interviewing F-35 Pilots posted:

I asked, What about that comment, from an evaluation, about how lack of aft visibility in the F-35 will “get the pilot gunned [down] every time”?

Johnston: Well, you come back from flying and you get 100,000 questions and they’re like, What do you think of the rearward visibility? I’m not thinking, O.K., this is on the cover of The Washington Post. I’m thinking, like, O.K., yeah, visibility’s more limited than what I’m used to. Uh-huh. Copy. It was designed that way for a reason. But I’m not going to sit there and write this paragraph on it. I’m just going to say the aft visibility is not as good as it was in a [F-16] Viper. And if that pilot was sitting here with you, you’d be like, O.K., I see that you would write something like that. But you’re thinking you’re talking to a bro, and you’re trying to write as quickly as you can because you have a million questions to go.

So the visibility issue isn’t a concern?

Berke: Not even a tiny bit.
The convenience factor of looking from a Viper is really nice, and I’ve flown that jet. But if you put it in context—of all the systems on the airplane and how you fly fifth-generation fighters—a minor reduction in visibility in the F-35 does not concern me. I wouldn’t even spend a brain cell on that.
As to the too much supersonic flight bubbling paint near the engines thing, the solution was trivial: use a different glue to bond the stealth coating in the highest temperature areas. Shame they didn't TEST it and fix it before production, shame on them. But it's not like it's an especially difficult or expensive process; repairing LO coating is standard PM on stealth aircraft.

And yeah, the helmet's getting fixed, too.

grover fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 16, 2013

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit
I'm no cheerleader for the F-35, but if there's an publication that I'd put money on to not do a fair analysis of the program through a defense and security lens like it deserves, it's a magazine dedicated to fashion, popular culture, and current affairs.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

onezero posted:

I'm no cheerleader for the F-35, but if there's an publication that I'd put money on to not do a fair analysis of the program through a defense and security lens like it deserves, it's a magazine dedicated to fashion, popular culture, and current affairs.
The author did saw how cool it looked.

quote:

Walking around the supersonic stealth jet for the first time, I was struck by its physical beauty. Whatever its shortcomings—and they, like the dollars invested in the plane, are almost beyond counting—up close it is a dark and compelling work of art.
The prototype they flew around to various air shows didn't look nearly this impressive. (Ignore the old dudes- they're just in the shot for scale.)

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Pictured: John McCain with a plane he hasn't crashed.

Yet.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ArchangeI posted:

Pictured: John McCain with a plane he hasn't crashed.

Yet.

The other two guys are there to make sure he doesn't get into the cockpit.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I've always liked McCain. He has balls. He also makes stupid decisions. I make stupid decisions; like liking McCain.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

grover posted:

The author did saw how cool it looked.
The prototype they flew around to various air shows didn't look nearly this impressive. (Ignore the old dudes- they're just in the shot for scale.)

What's wrong with the life-preserver on the guy on the right? It doesn't look very buoyant. :iiam:

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Oxford Comma posted:

What's wrong with the life-preserver on the guy on the right? It doesn't look very buoyant. :iiam:

If this isn't a bad joke: Its not a life preserver. Its an LBV.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FrozenVent posted:

The other two guys are there to make sure he doesn't get into the cockpit.

For a sitting Senator you don't just use the dog ?

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

Baloogan posted:

I've always liked McCain. He has balls. He also makes stupid decisions. I make stupid decisions; like liking McCain.

Good decisions are for suckers.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Baloogan posted:

I'm not that negatively inclined toward McCain but I can't forgive him for unleashing Sarah Palin upon the world.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

grover posted:

And yeah, the helmet's getting fixed, too.

Cool time machine you got there, maybe you could use it to get the operational date back to 2010.

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

"Jack says you've got a great big cock."

StandardVC10 posted:

I'm not that negatively inclined toward McCain but I can't forgive him for unleashing Sarah Palin upon the world.

Man's got a good point here.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Have you ever seen such a satire of american politics though?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Baloogan posted:

Have you ever seen such a satire of american politics though?

Hey now, it's not like Tina Fey was just straight up quoting her on SNL or anything.

Except for those times she did I guess.

Am I misremembering, or was McCain's plane the one that got shot by an F-4 aboard the Forestal and started the gigantic fire?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
No, he was in the plane next to the one that had the bomb blow up I think. He jumped out of the cockpit and rolled into the man-overboard net.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Mortabis posted:

No, he was in the plane next to the one that had the bomb blow up I think. He jumped out of the cockpit and rolled into the man-overboard net.

Then proceeded to the ready room because damage control is for peasants.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ArchangeI posted:

Then proceeded to the ready room because damage control is for peasants.

Wait, what?

What, exactly, would you have a pilot in flight gear do? Pick up a firehose and do a job he was neither trained or equipped for?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
People just like to hate him. He is an american hero, no matter what a retard he is as a politician.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Baloogan posted:

People just like to hate him. He is an american hero, no matter what a retard he is as a politician.

There you go. I don't give a gently caress if McCain was a bad pilot or if he's a bad politician or whatever, I still respect him because of the horrible poo poo he went through as a POW. The stuff the North Vietnamese did to our pilots is goddamn heartbreaking. They broke his bones so much he can't raise his arms above his head.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Wait, what?

What, exactly, would you have a pilot in flight gear do? Pick up a firehose and do a job he was neither trained or equipped for?

The better question is whether the ready room was his general quarters / damage control muster spot (probably, if it wasn't in his suddenly non-existent plane.)

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Snowdens Secret posted:

The better question is whether the ready room was his general quarters / damage control muster spot (probably, if it wasn't in his suddenly non-existent plane.)

I remember reading that it was, since (at the time) damage control doctrine assumed that a carrier would have most of its planes away if it took a serious hit (since it would be mid-battle with another carrier fleet), and if not then they would be basically in the way, so therefore pilots should drown as buoyantly as possible to keep the ship afloat.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Cyrano4747 posted:

Wait, what?

According to wikipedia (and sourced to a page on navy.mil) one of the other pilots rolled into the net, went to the hangar deck, and took command of a firefighting party. I assume that's the genesis of that particular statement.

From what I understand, McCain did some dumb poo poo as a pilot but after reading GIP I've come to understand "doing dumb poo poo" and "as a pilot" are redundant statements. I have no criteria on which to judge whether or not he did more or less stupid poo poo than average.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Psion posted:

According to wikipedia (and sourced to a page on navy.mil) one of the other pilots rolled into the net, went to the hangar deck, and took command of a firefighting party. I assume that's the genesis of that particular statement.

From what I understand, McCain did some dumb poo poo as a pilot but after reading GIP I've come to understand "doing dumb poo poo" and "as a pilot" are redundant statements. I have no criteria on which to judge whether or not he did more or less stupid poo poo than average.

I have equally no relevant experience by which to judge the stupidity, but the bolded part up there just SEEMS really loving goddamned stupid and not something that should be lauded. Some guy who has highly specialized (and expensive) training in how to fly airplanes and drop bombs on people takes command of a firefighting team? What the gently caress? What does he know about fighting fires?

:what: Sir, what are you doing? We are the damage control team. We have trained for exactly this. We know how to put out flaming avgas on a deck full of bombs. We are wearing flame retardant clothing. You are wearing flight gear and are trained to fly airplanes. You know as little about how to keep this ship from sinking as we know about how to drop napalm on the right patch of jungle.

:smug: But I'm . . . . . an OFFICER!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Cyrano4747 posted:

I have equally no relevant experience by which to judge the stupidity, but the bolded part up there just SEEMS really loving goddamned stupid and not something that should be lauded. Some guy who has highly specialized (and expensive) training in how to fly airplanes and drop bombs on people takes command of a firefighting team? What the gently caress? What does he know about fighting fires?

:what: Sir, what are you doing? We are the damage control team. We have trained for exactly this. We know how to put out flaming avgas on a deck full of bombs. We are wearing flame retardant clothing. You are wearing flight gear and are trained to fly airplanes. You know as little about how to keep this ship from sinking as we know about how to drop napalm on the right patch of jungle.

:smug: But I'm . . . . . an OFFICER!

Everyone that gets flight deck pay gets Aircraft Shipboard Firefighting. Officers, enlisted, aircrew, everyone (even contractors, I hear). Five year refresher, too. They put everyone on every spot on the hose, fill this fake airplane up with jet fuel, and light it up. If you can put the fire out, you pass. If you can't, you keep trying until you can. Then you do it again in full flight deck gear (coveralls, jerseys, float coats, cranials). They only hold the classes in the middle of summer, at noon, or the middle of winter, at sunrise. "The trainer is down for maintenance" at all other times, like there can be something fundamentally wrong with a steel tube you put Jet-A in.

That said, Battle Stations means everyone does their DC job as they deem fit and doesn't really worry about anyone else. If some random pilot saw a fire party floundering like retards on his way to the ready room, his type-A personality would mean he takes charge. The other pilots and aircrew mustering in the ready room are probably taking muster and going "where's Lt. Bag o'Donuts? Probably exploded, since he's not here, at his assigned muster point." They do not think "I should go out there and help" because literally every breathing form of life on that ship has a place to be, and if you're not in it, you're in the way.

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 18, 2013

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Everyone that gets flight deck pay gets Aircraft Shipboard Firefighting. Officers, enlisted, aircrew, everyone (even contractors, I hear). Five year refresher, too. They put everyone on every spot on the hose, fill this fake airplane up with jet fuel, and light it up. If you can put the fire out, you pass. If you can't, you keep trying until you can. Then you do it again in full flight deck gear (coveralls, jerseys, float coats, cranials). They only hold the classes in the middle of summer, at noon, or the middle of winter, at sunrise. "The trainer is down for maintenance" at all other times, like there can be something fundamentally wrong with a steel tube you put Jet-A in.

That said, Battle Stations means everyone does their DC job as they deem fit and doesn't really worry about anyone else. If some random pilot saw a fire party floundering like retards on his way to the ready room, his type-A personality would mean he takes charge. The other pilots and aircrew mustering in the ready room are probably taking muster and going "where's Lt. Bag o'Donuts? Probably exploded, since he's not here, at his assigned muster point." They do not think "I should go out there and help" because literally every breathing form of life on that ship has a place to be, and if you're not in it, you're in the way.

was that the way they were trained AT THAT TIME though? I was told by a DC guy that damage control training and SOP changed drastically after Forrestal and Enterprise.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I would actually be really interested to know how DC was handled on carriers before and after. I'm curious if the changes - I assume there were quite a few, hah - were primarily equipment retrofit or procedural changes. Or both? I know about the deck edge spray system and more all-hands mandatory DC training, but details.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Flikken posted:

was that the way they were trained AT THAT TIME though? I was told by a DC guy that damage control training and SOP changed drastically after Forrestal and Enterprise.

Canada had a serious engine room fire in HMCS KOOTENAY in the 60s that forced us to make some serious changes to how DC was handled. As memory serves, it went from "that's what a few guys in the engine room do" to "that's what everyone loving does until we stop burning/sinking."

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Psion posted:

I would actually be really interested to know how DC was handled on carriers before and after. I'm curious if the changes - I assume there were quite a few, hah - were primarily equipment retrofit or procedural changes. Or both? I know about the deck edge spray system and more all-hands mandatory DC training, but details.

This must have been posted earlier in the thread but we watched this in boot camp (2002):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6NnfRT_OZA

Like Fearless said, DC went from a specialized artisan craft of DCmen who handed down damage control lore to their selected apprentices to something everyone is prepared to do at any time, until they die or the boat stops killing them. Favorite part: one team has coated the fuel with foam and smothered the fire, then another team blasts it with high-pressure seawater, blows the foam off, and the whole thing reflashes :stonk:

I can only imagine that a stupendous amount of institutional DC knowledge and attitude had been lost between WWII and then.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Obviously there's only one way to check if that knowledge is still around.

Reintroduce the Zuni and strap it to everything :colbert:

Gotta keep the DC crew on their toes, or they'll lose their edge!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

hogmartin posted:

This must have been posted earlier in the thread but we watched this in boot camp (2002):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6NnfRT_OZA

Like Fearless said, DC went from a specialized artisan craft of DCmen who handed down damage control lore to their selected apprentices to something everyone is prepared to do at any time, until they die or the boat stops killing them. Favorite part: one team has coated the fuel with foam and smothered the fire, then another team blasts it with high-pressure seawater, blows the foam off, and the whole thing reflashes :stonk:

I can only imagine that a stupendous amount of institutional DC knowledge and attitude had been lost between WWII and then.

I thought every man aboard a ship being trained in DC was what made US ships so hard to sink in WWII (especially compared to the Japanese, where it was "welp our DC guys died in the fire, time to abandon ship. Nippon Banzai!"). How the hell do you go from a tried and working system to one that has been found wanting in the same test?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ArchangeI posted:

I thought every man aboard a ship being trained in DC was what made US ships so hard to sink in WWII (especially compared to the Japanese, where it was "welp our DC guys died in the fire, time to abandon ship. Nippon Banzai!"). How the hell do you go from a tried and working system to one that has been found wanting in the same test?

It wasn't just DC in WW2. Ship design had a lot to do with it, as did institutional practices when it came to things like fueling and ammo handling. Plus, the Japanese were actually pretty drat good at damage control. They had a lot of really terribly crippled ships make it home and get repaired just to get shot up again. Also, they got really situationally hosed in a couple famous battles. Caught with a bunch of airplanes on the deck getting rearmed and fueled when American dive bombers show up overhead? You're pretty hosed.

If you're talking about things like the USS Franklin and other famous examples of US ships gently caress near burning to the waterline without going down, a lot of those happened at the end of the war and survived because we learned a lot of hard lessons early on and had the luxury of rotating crews back to training duties to spread their experience around. Most other countries involved in the war didn't have this luxury so a lot of knowledge was taken by specialized soldiers to their graves. The US is one of the few militaries that actually got a lot more combat effective as the war progressed, rather than the other way around.*

As to how you lose that knowledge? You dial back the size of your military by a huge amount, cut costs everywhere, old guys retire without passing on what they know, and you generally re-define the purpose of your military in the mean time. The Pentagon of the 30s and 40s was very concerned with blue water Navies. The Pentagon of the 60s didn't totally ignore them, but it was a lot more concerned with SAC and nuclear poo poo.

Hell, the English have the same problem right now. Since decommissioning their last carrier they're trying to get crew spots on a French boat so they at least keep a couple guys in-service who know how a flight deck works. That's why it's such a huge loving deal when a country gets their first carrier, or puts a man in orbit, or whatever. Once you do that thing, whatever it is, for the first time subsequent attempts are that much easier because you have a bunch of people who know what they're doing. The Chinese and the Indian carriers don't represent a credible threat to anyone, so much as they represent training beds which can be used as a jumping off point for a rapid naval expansion in the future.

*There is an argument to be made for Russia, although that involved strategic and theater level doctrine and strategy. The Red Army was basically destroyed and rebuilt twice during the war.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 18, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The Pentagon of the 30s and 40s was very concerned with blue water Navies. The Pentagon of the 60s didn't totally ignore them, but it was a lot more concerned with SAC and nuclear poo poo.

The Navy certainly had its obsession with nuclear everything, propulsion and weaponry. The Popular Mechanics-style future vision was very heavy on nuke subs firing nuke torpedoes and nuke missiles at every problem, with the occasional nuke cruiser or nuke-carrier-launched jet nuking things as well. Obviously none of these engagements were projected as extended slugfests. I wonder how much of a shock the optempo of a conventional carrier-based bombing campaign was to begin with; the Forrestal and Enterprise fires both resulted from what sound like dumb shortcuts by overstressed crews who didn't know smart shortcuts.

The focus on nuking everything obviously had a negative impact on pilot proficiency and aircraft design when it came to conventional air-air and air-ground attacks, as has been discussed before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Cyrano4747 posted:

*The Red Army was basically destroyed and rebuilt twice during the war.

What was the second time?

Also do you really think the British divisions landing in Normandy in 1944 were less combat effective than the ones leaving from Dunkirk in 1940? (genuine question)

Speaking of losing knowledge: I remember the leader of the Red Arrows arguing that if their funding is cut then their knowledge will be lost forever. It's not like you can just increase it again in the future and immediately get everything back.