Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Axiem posted:

That's pretty much where things still stand, annoyingly.

I was lucky when I married my wife, that she didn't have an Apple ID yet. So she just used mine for purchases, and so we've shared purchases (and contacts/calendars) from the get-go. However, with the advent of iCloud, I created accounts for each of us on top of that for us for iCloud.

Depending on how much each of you has purchased, it may be worth migrating your purchases to one account (yes, that means re-buying), and sharing that account between you for purchases (and possibly piggyback contacts or calendars). However, you do want separate iCloud accounts for things like your phone backup, just to keep apps separate between your phones and such.

Thanks for the answer. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case, but oh well.

We've been married for a few years, so re-buying everything isn't an option (well, it is, but it's an expensive one).

What about if I was to Homeshare everything on Account A to Account B. Wouldn't that then have everything on Account B and I could just use Account B to make all purchases on from then on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Is it kosher to ask for suggestions on a DRM removal tool that works on mac with itunes 11+? The only one I've found is Requiem, but that doesen't work with itunes 11 apparently.

My girlfriend just wants to be able to put her music that she purchased from iTunes onto her Android phone. Some of the stuff she purchased was back when iTunes still DRM'ed everything, so she has a few hundred songs that are protected.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Redownload them from the iTunes Store.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

wolffenstein posted:

Redownload them from the iTunes Store.

Can you go into more detail? If she redownloads them from iTunes, they don't have DRM anymore? She got her macbook July 2012 and redownloaded her purchases then, which I thought was past the date that iTunes stopped using DRM anyways....

I thought that was an upgrade sort of thing where you paid 30 cents per song to unlock the DRM free version or something like that?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Guess I'm partially right; redownloading only works if you have iTunes Match.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Is every song you purchase now on iTunes DRM free? Or only ones that were introduced after the DRM free date?

Example: Album X was released in 2006, when everything still had DRM. If she decides to go buy album X today, will it have DRM or did they retroactively remove it?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Any music purchased today is DRM-free.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Molten Llama posted:

Any music purchased today is DRM-free.

Yeah the only problem is with old purchases which you have to "upgrade" to itunes plus or whatever, which I think is/was .29 a track.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Or $25 for your entire collection if you use iTunes Match, right? Shouldn't deleting your local copy and letting Match re-download it give you the DRM-free version?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Neat, iTunes 11.1 on OS X now sends a Notification to the song being played.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Neat, iTunes 11.1 on OS X now sends a Notification to the song being played.

Yeah, it would be better if the icon was the album artwork instead of the iTunes icon. But I ended up turning this off in the iTunes Preferences as Bowtie does a much better job (and stays on the screen of course).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Wait, why did iTunes Radio just play an ad (for the iTunes Festival App) when I'm a paying Match subscriber?

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!
Want to use the new Genius Shuffle feature in iTunes 11.1?

1. Hold down ALT/OPTION (OS X) or CTRL (Windows).
2. Press the Genius icon in the top left corner of iTunes.

I've been pretty happy with it so far but it takes a genius to figure out how to use.

Nebel
Sep 30, 2002

Soiled Meat

Hiyoshi posted:

Want to use the new Genius Shuffle feature in iTunes 11.1?

1. Hold down ALT/OPTION (OS X) or CTRL (Windows).
2. Press the Genius icon in the top left corner of iTunes.

I've been pretty happy with it so far but it takes a genius to figure out how to use.

Ohh so THAT'S where it is.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

So with iTunes 11.1, I said yes to "sync all my poo poo to the cloud" for podcasts. Is there any way to undo that?

It's not really a deal breaker, but it fills up my lists with every played episode back to the dawn of time, which is kind of annoying.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

So with iTunes 11.1, I said yes to "sync all my poo poo to the cloud" for podcasts. Is there any way to undo that?

Preferences | Store | Sync podcast subscriptions and settings:

While we're on the subject, I wish they'd split that into two preferences; I want the same subscriptions on all my devices, but not necessarily the same settings.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 20, 2013

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Molten Llama posted:

Preferences | Store | Sync podcast subscriptions and settings:

While we're on the subject, I wish they'd split that into two preferences; I want the same subscriptions on all my devices, but not necessarily the same settings.

Yeah, I turned that off, that doesn't actually fix it, it still has all the historical episodes that you can't get rid of. Basically there seems to be no way to turn off "SHOW OLD EPISODES" now and when I finish an episode instead of just stopping it goes to the next

Basically, I don't need all of this:

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 20, 2013

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Maneki Neko posted:

Basically there seems to be no way to turn off "SHOW OLD EPISODES" now and when I finish an episode instead of just stopping it goes to the next

I'm in the same boat too. I don't actually care about iTunes listing all the old episodes, it's just annoying that it always jumps to the next episode in the podcast when it finishes playing one, which it didn't used to do before, except for episodes you downloaded I think.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

qbert posted:

I'm in the same boat too. I don't actually care about iTunes listing all the old episodes, it's just annoying that it always jumps to the next episode in the podcast when it finishes playing one, which it didn't used to do before, except for episodes you downloaded I think.

It would appear that if you go into all your podcasts and uncheck them, it goes back to the old playback behavior. Not entirely sure what checking/unchecking them does (or if new episodes are going to be checked by default, but that at least reduced one of my annoyances.

Also, performing actions on the podcast (deleting a local copy for example) seems to recheck it, which is loving stupid.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Boris Galerkin posted:

Wait, why did iTunes Radio just play an ad (for the iTunes Festival App) when I'm a paying Match subscriber?

I've listened to a lot of hours of iTunes Radio in the last week and have heard no ads so far.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Why did itTunes just delete literally every podcast on my computer? I changed the settings for one of my podcasts to only download the most recent episode (as opposed to all), the program froze, and when I looked in the finder, I suddenly had an extra 15 free gigs of space. They're all gone, all of my subscriptions are gone in iTunes... :smith: What in the hell just happened?

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

GobiasIndustries posted:

Why did itTunes just delete literally every podcast on my computer? I changed the settings for one of my podcasts to only download the most recent episode (as opposed to all), the program froze, and when I looked in the finder, I suddenly had an extra 15 free gigs of space. They're all gone, all of my subscriptions are gone in iTunes... :smith: What in the hell just happened?

Did you turn on iCloud syncing for podcasts after installing 11.1? Because if you did it probably used default settings and cleared all the played episodes.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So hey, when did this feature get added?

I know a lot of people have been asking for this. I haven't tried it with a playlist that doesn't include a full album yet, but will soon.

EDIT: Boo, it will only play the parts of the album that are in that playlist. Track 3 started playing from an album in that 3000 playlist of mine, skipping over tracks 1 & 2 from that album that weren't in that playlist's criteria.

IUG fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 21, 2013

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

IUG posted:

So hey, when did this feature get added?

I know a lot of people have been asking for this. I haven't tried it with a playlist that doesn't include a full album yet, but will soon.

EDIT: Boo, it will only play the parts of the album that are in that playlist. Track 3 started playing from an album in that 3000 playlist of mine, skipping over tracks 1 & 2 from that album that weren't in that playlist's criteria.

I don't understand how you thought it would work. It shuffles the songs in the playlist by album - why should it play songs that aren't in the playlist?

Also, shuffle by album's always been available, hasn't it?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Modern Leper posted:

Also, shuffle by album's always been available, hasn't it?

I've never seen it, so I thought it was new. Plus I know that people have asked if there was a way to shuffle play complete albums in the playlists, so I didn't know how smart it would be.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
I posted a while back where I had issues with tracks being split over several copies of the same album when using album view in iTunes 11. It was obviously a metadata issue, so I thought 'why don't I get iTunes to rebuild the library?'

I have all my media managed by iTunes, so I knew that I had all my data where it should be. In the end I deleted the iTunes library.xml, and manually exported the library to recreate the XML file. I then quit iTunes and deleted the iTunes.itl file

I relaunched iTunes, and imported the XML file, and everything was fine. The new *.itl file was rebuilt by iTunes and was half the size, so there must have just been a load of cruft in there,

Everything seems fine so far, and I'm pretty happy. :)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a way to delete purchased music from iCloud?

Like, I want to renounce my license to listen to some things.

There's still no way to transfer music licenses off an old iTunes account, is there? (I know about Match)

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Sep 22, 2013

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a way to delete purchased music from iCloud?

Like, I want to renounce my license to listen to some things.

There's still no way to transfer music licenses off an old iTunes account, is there? (I know about Match)

I'm going off of memory here but if you go to the iTunes music store in iTunes there's a link for purchased music. From there if you hover over the right side of the song you can click an "x" that'll get rid of it. You'll still have the license for the song and can re download it but it won't show up in iTunes/match anymore.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The Apple term for what Boris is describing is "Hide Purchases", for info.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I just rolled back to 11.0.5.5. I can't deal with how 11.1.0 manages podcasts - I don't need to see every episode since the dawn of time. There's also still no official fix for the Intel Haswell video driver conflict that causes iTunes store to crash. And 11.1.0 + Windows 8.1 doesn't recognize my iPod Classic, so I can't sync.

Rolling back fixed all the problems except for the store crash.

I'm slowly losing faith in Apple.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I've done a bit of googling and there seems to be no answer, though a lot of people have this problem.

My music collection was meticulously organized, with album covers (many of which I had to add).

Once I did iTunes match, I noticed that a ton of my covers are missing. Any idea how to get these back?

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

dexter6 posted:

I've done a bit of googling and there seems to be no answer, though a lot of people have this problem.

My music collection was meticulously organized, with album covers (many of which I had to add).

Once I did iTunes match, I noticed that a ton of my covers are missing. Any idea how to get these back?

The only way I could figure was removing the album art, updating iTunes Match, adding the art, and updating again.

You can drag album art out of the "Get info" window if you don't want to dig for album art.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Unless it's different for the cloud based system, I've always been able to click on the artwork (in the Get Info section), command+C it to the clipboard, and then command+v to anywhere.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Goober Peas posted:

I just rolled back to 11.0.5.5. I can't deal with how 11.1.0 manages podcasts - I don't need to see every episode since the dawn of time.

Blargh, I don't really want to do this, but sounds like may be a "deal with it" kind of scenario here.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009
The latest version of iCloud control panel added support for bookmark syncing with Firefox and Chrome. I set up my bookmarks on Firefox (~20 in total, one folder), and then turned on syncing with Internet Explorer and Firefox. My Internet Explorer Favorites folder currently contains 3450 bookmarks and 40 different folders. And the count keeps going up.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010
Anybody else having this problem? Since 11.1 every time I open iTunes the volume is set all the way down. It doesn't seem to matter where it was the last time I had iTunes open, it just defaults to zero.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Cross posting from the iOS 7 thread because I'm not sure which is to blame:

Can anyone tell my why the hell iTunes isn't syncing some of my iTunes purchased music (seems to be on an album by album basis) with my iPhone? All of my imported music is there, as is about a third of my purchased albums. The rest refuse to sync and I have to download them from iCloud.

I've never touched iTune Match.

CruJones
Feb 22, 2006

by Lowtax
I guess this is sort of similar to the guy above, and could possibly be related, but: After backing up to the cloud and downloading iOS7, all music on my desktop and iPhone in iTunes are visible, but are "greyed out." Nothing is playable. The iCloud logo is there and is constantly "working," but nothing changes. Does anyone have any ideas?

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
iTunes Match question: I have a few albums where the only edition on the iTunes Store is different from what I have, remastered, reissued, what have you. I'm so close to signing up for Match, but I'm forseeing it matching my original album with a remaster I can't stand. Can I tell it that it's matched incorrectly and to use the version I have locally and upload it rather than using the version on the Store that I don't want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

choobs posted:

iTunes Match question: I have a few albums where the only edition on the iTunes Store is different from what I have, remastered, reissued, what have you. I'm so close to signing up for Match, but I'm forseeing it matching my original album with a remaster I can't stand. Can I tell it that it's matched incorrectly and to use the version I have locally and upload it rather than using the version on the Store that I don't want?

It uses heuristic audio matching, so if the version is drastically different, it shouldn't match with a remaster.

Also, it is pretty easy to see what is matched and what is uploaded by using smart playlists: