Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rocinante
Jun 16, 2007
Went looking for backup sites today. Found a lot of very low paying sites, then I found one that looked a little more promising.
This company, http://www.2bluemediagroup.com/ owns a variety of websites that focus on different topics. I don't see pay rate listed
on their site, but this link http://www.writejobs.info/2012/08/freelance-writing-2blue-media-group.html says $15 per article, basically
Demand's old pay rate. Visited some of their web sites, the articles don't look very long either. Have not tried this site myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

One of their reviews here: http://www.indeed.com/cmp/2blue-Media-Group/reviews complains about not being paid. I'm not seeing much other information about them. If anyone decides to give them a shot, report back.

On that note, I should go add Zerys and Writer Access to the OP. While I'm at it is there anything I should add or remove from the first post?

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Nighthand posted:

While I'm at it is there anything I should add or remove from the first post?

I've been making money online since 2011 through Fiverr and Amazon Mechanical Turk. It surprised me a bit that neither of them are mentioned at all in the OP, nor are any of the major crowdsourcing companies that use MTurk as their user interface (SpeechInk, CastingWords, CrowdFlower, CrowdSource). I will write an effortpost about them when I have a little more free time to do so.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

MTurk is in there under penny work, because every time I've ever checked, there's been nothing but surveys for a few cents each and other such garbage. I'll certainly welcome an efforpost about them, though.

Apr 23, 2002
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. Wait...

PurpleButterfly posted:

I've been making money online since 2011 through Fiverr and Amazon Mechanical Turk. It surprised me a bit that neither of them are mentioned at all in the OP, nor are any of the major crowdsourcing companies that use MTurk as their user interface (SpeechInk, CastingWords, CrowdFlower, CrowdSource). I will write an effortpost about them when I have a little more free time to do so.

Would like to see what if anything to look for or search for on these sites. Lots of one and two cent chaff to sort through that's basically valueless.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Nighthand posted:

One of their reviews here: http://www.indeed.com/cmp/2blue-Media-Group/reviews complains about not being paid. I'm not seeing much other information about them. If anyone decides to give them a shot, report back.

On that note, I should go add Zerys and Writer Access to the OP. While I'm at it is there anything I should add or remove from the first post?

You might add how long it takes to start working for each company. TB took a few days. Zerys a week. WA is at like 3 or 4 weeks for me.

Kilo India
Mar 12, 2006

E/N Success Story
I got accepted through the US branch of Words of Worth http://www.wordsofworth.co.uk/ They have decent rates (better than Textbroker starting out; less than WA), but I just have too high of a volume of work to work with them so I'm not sure how it progresses. Took a few weeks to get in.

The folks at WA seem to like http://www.cloudcrowd.com as an MTURK like thing because it pays out on a daily level. I don't have Facebook and have no interest in making an account so I haven't bothered with it yet.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Noted and added. RE: Crowdcloud, reading this site (http://www.wahm.com/forum/writing-freelancing-46/568535-cloud-crowd-scam-just-horribly-unorganized.html) indicates that they're horribly disorganized. People are reporting that they'll write an article, have it accepted, and then a week later have it rejected, have their balance dropped negative and their credibility rating (what you use to get jobs) dropped. Seems not worth the hassle to me, but I can still add it if anyone wants to chime in with firsthand experience.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

thylacine posted:

You might add how long it takes to start working for each company. TB took a few days. Zerys a week. WA is at like 3 or 4 weeks for me.

Also, take the writer's test on Writer Access very seriously (and pray you get the subjective ones right), because WA at three stars is nothing like WA at four stars.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
For those who use Constant Content: After an article sells for usage, do you guys tend to lower the price in the hopes of driving more usage sales, or just leave it alone and see if you get a few bites at the full price over a longer period of time?

edit: Also drat how long does textbroker take to review writing? It's been like 4 months and they haven't take a look at a single thing yet. If it finally comes and I don't get bumped up to 4 stars I probably just won't bother with them anymore unless I get really bored.

Honey Badger fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 17, 2013

Kilo India
Mar 12, 2006

E/N Success Story

kazmeyer posted:

Also, take the writer's test on Writer Access very seriously (and pray you get the subjective ones right), because WA at three stars is nothing like WA at four stars.

I'm not sure the rating is based on the Writer's Test, because I did really terribly on that thing. I also barely filled out my profile. I think the rating might be based on your initial writing samples but I'm not sure. Knowing WA it's actually based on like 30 different metrics that include how long you stared at the instructions page.

The only thing I can say about that is to be really careful about those stupid word elimination ones. I was getting it all right and then those came up and I just bombed.

By the way, anyone who joined WA, what's your names on there? I want to be writing friends...

Honey Badger -- no, I just let it go. I price usage at $5-$10 and I price full rights/unique rights at $40 - $60 depending on how good the article is. For one, you don't make good money on Constant Content unless you have like 100 articles up, which makes micromanaging on that scale kind of unfeasible. For another, that's what the different usage prices are for. Price usage at what you'd price it at if you were only selling for usage and use full rights/unique rights for your higher pricing level.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.

Kilo India posted:

Honey Badger -- no, I just let it go. I price usage at $5-$10 and I price full rights/unique rights at $40 - $60 depending on how good the article is. For one, you don't make good money on Constant Content unless you have like 100 articles up, which makes micromanaging on that scale kind of unfeasible. For another, that's what the different usage prices are for. Price usage at what you'd price it at if you were only selling for usage and use full rights/unique rights for your higher pricing level.

Good to know, thanks! How long are the articles you are pricing at $40-60? I'm never sure what to put my exclusive rights at. I don't want to overprice things and never get sales, but I also don't want to lowball myself. It's hard to get a feel for what people will actually pay, but then again I'm just starting out so maybe that comes with time.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Kilo India posted:

I'm not sure the rating is based on the Writer's Test, because I did really terribly on that thing. I also barely filled out my profile. I think the rating might be based on your initial writing samples but I'm not sure. Knowing WA it's actually based on like 30 different metrics that include how long you stared at the instructions page.

The only thing I can say about that is to be really careful about those stupid word elimination ones. I was getting it all right and then those came up and I just bombed.

I think it's largely the test, at least this go round. I got two "Industry Elites" based off my samples, and the one person I know who outscored me by 2 got four stars. Let's just say put a lot of effort into your application all around, because it's a wasteland if you don't get four stars.

What's "asset type" in Writer Access terms?

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 17, 2013

Kilo India
Mar 12, 2006

E/N Success Story

Honey Badger posted:

Good to know, thanks! How long are the articles you are pricing at $40-60? I'm never sure what to put my exclusive rights at. I don't want to overprice things and never get sales, but I also don't want to lowball myself. It's hard to get a feel for what people will actually pay, but then again I'm just starting out so maybe that comes with time.

Constant Content favors articles between 400 - 600 words, I've noticed. So I usually price accordingly, e.g. a 400 word at $40 and a 600 word at $60. Not exactly an exact science but it gives me a reasonable rule of thumb. In general, you'll sell about 50 to 75 percent of the work you put on there. One writer there makes a living on Constant Content alone, but she has a huge catalog of articles. I looked at her portfolio once and it's mostly filler, like "5 Things Never to Say to Your Date" kind of stuff. A lot of her articles were really short, like 300 words, and most of them were in that type of format: either X things to X or how to X.

Kazmeyer -- I'm curious, what did you score on the test? I'd like to compare it to my score, because like I said, I really screwed up on mine. It actually used to be really good for 3 star writers before, but there's been a push (I think possibly by the admins) to get higher paying work in. Asset types are blog posts, articles, infographics, etc. You want to add pretty much all the asset types. They only affect you when people search for you for solo orders though.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Kilo India posted:

Kazmeyer -- I'm curious, what did you score on the test? I'd like to compare it to my score, because like I said, I really screwed up on mine. It actually used to be really good for 3 star writers before, but there's been a push (I think possibly by the admins) to get higher paying work in. Asset types are blog posts, articles, infographics, etc. You want to add pretty much all the asset types. They only affect you when people search for you for solo orders though.

33. I nailed all the actual writing stuff, missed a few of the "A or B is correct but we prefer B" questions, got mauled by the "delete words" section and I know gently caress all about website construction and organization.

Kilo India
Mar 12, 2006

E/N Success Story
I did even worse than that: I ended up with a 30. I didn't do well on the organizational questions either.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Huh, weird. Maybe it was the samples, then; I just find it odd that I'd get both Elite and a three-star rating based on the same content.

Well, I lie; I've worked for Demand Studios for some time, so mind-melting levels of paradoxical subjectivity are really nothing new. :)

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I got 32 on the writing test. I did spend basically a whole day agonizing over my blurbs when I write them, and apparently they liked that. So either they weight some questions more than others, or the blurbs count more than we're giving them credit for. Or, as Kilo said, a dozen other metrics they don't tell you about, who knows.

RE: Constant Content, I've only sold a couple of articles I've posted on there, but I also haven't posted as much as I'd like to. I've saved the text of basically everything I've written for Textbroker to rewrite and post, but I only manage to post one or two a month. Some of what I have up are way long and thus probably out of the range of most people shopping on the site.

Looking now, I've sold eight total articles since I started using the site (out of a grand total of 20 posted) so I have a higher sale percentage than I thought. However, five of the articles I sold were ones I submitted when CC sent out e-mails saying "we've got a client coming in next week wanting to buy 500 articles on Insurance and Credit Cards, so submit them to this standing order and you'll probably sell them tomorrow." Lo and behold, they mostly did.

I've never sold anything there for use rights, they've all sold for Full. Here's the word counts and prices:

990 for $65 (first sale when I was still getting the hang of the site pricing)
660 for $60
530 for $40
610 for $50
740 for $45 (Now that I look at it, I'm not sure if I mis-priced this or if I considered it a lovely article and underpriced it.)
970 for $85
950 for $80
890 for $80

So yeah, about $10 per 100 words on average seems to sell. Nothing over 1000 words has sold for me. Most of those, again, were for a standing order they advertised via e-mail.

(Sidenote: Any of you can feel free to hit me up on AIM if you use it, my name is in my profile. I know AIM is a bit... antiquated, by now, but what can ya do.)

Kilo India
Mar 12, 2006

E/N Success Story
I have to be honest, I think Constant Content is an amazing revenue generator for those that can actually put time and effort into it. I don't like it because I have no control over cause and effect. However, statistically I think if someone has about 200 articles on Constant Content at any given time, I think they would be able to make a living on the site. For me, I could probably bust that out in about a week of solid work. However... the problem for me is two-fold: it's the lack of guaranteed revenue and the "three strikes" rule. For my first few months I posted tons of articles and never had a single sent back by the editor. I felt safe. However, the last batch of 10-12 I posted came back half from the editor. That scared me because, as you guys might not know, Constant Content reserves the right to CANCEL and PERMANENTLY SUSPEND anyone who has three returned articles. Not at once: ever. It's called their Three Strikes Rule and it causes many of the writers there to get very nervous. I can't shake the idea that I could lose all my good work just because of this rule, which is what encourages me to use Constant Content as a dumping ground for failed articles and usage articles. However, I really do think it's a legitimate source of income for those bolder than I.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Wow, I totally didn't know that. I've had a couple articles sent back for minor revisions, but no rejections that I can remember. I had one minor typo and a SNAFU with the editor because the file upload system somehow attached the pre-revision version instead of the post-revision when I resubmitted, but I got that sorted out easily enough. They also don't like any form of code in their articles, so no HTML and no other code -- which made posting a wordpress plugin guide a little difficult, but hey, that one actually sold so whatever.

I have, apparently, 305 archived files I can rewrite to post on CC if I wanted to. Some of them are too specific to rewrite, but a couple are huge assignments that can be broken into sections as individual articles. It wouldn't be too bad to post all those up if I dedicated a week or two, but :effort: and such. CC isn't very motivating when I can drop a day posting articles and then not see a penny for months. My account there is kind of like a hydra: someone buys one article and the next day I post three more, then forget about it until someone buys another one.

Kilo India
Mar 12, 2006

E/N Success Story
The Constant Content three strikes rule is rarely talked about by the admin staff. It's basically a safeguard that allows them to suspend anyone they want if they feel they're loading trash documents, but it makes me nervous because there's very little transparency to the process.

Since I've written a few educational eBooks now I'll occasionally upload a chapter as an article by cleaning it up a little. But otherwise I basically do what you do: any time I sell an article I add a few more in hopes of eventually having a nice catalog.

Maybe I should go on eLance, order 20 articles for $40 and then upload them all to Constant Content after some editing...

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

Kilo India posted:

I have to be honest, I think Constant Content is an amazing revenue generator for those that can actually put time and effort into it. I don't like it because I have no control over cause and effect. However, statistically I think if someone has about 200 articles on Constant Content at any given time, I think they would be able to make a living on the site. For me, I could probably bust that out in about a week of solid work. However... the problem for me is two-fold: it's the lack of guaranteed revenue and the "three strikes" rule. For my first few months I posted tons of articles and never had a single sent back by the editor. I felt safe. However, the last batch of 10-12 I posted came back half from the editor. That scared me because, as you guys might not know, Constant Content reserves the right to CANCEL and PERMANENTLY SUSPEND anyone who has three returned articles. Not at once: ever. It's called their Three Strikes Rule and it causes many of the writers there to get very nervous. I can't shake the idea that I could lose all my good work just because of this rule, which is what encourages me to use Constant Content as a dumping ground for failed articles and usage articles. However, I really do think it's a legitimate source of income for those bolder than I.

Do they mean returned as in "the customer wants a refund" or "sent back for editing"? Because I've had a ton of articles sent back for editing over some minor phrasing that they didn't like and I haven't heard anything about it. If they mean customer refunds I guess I could see that, but I think you'd basically have to be plagiarizing to get returns considering it gets quality-edited beforehand and there are samples to view before buying.

Maybe I've just been lucky and people are more return-happy than I think, though.

edit: It's also hopefully more of a case of 3 returns being a red flag to look for someone dumping trash rather than 3 returns and you're out no matter what.

Bikini Quilt fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 18, 2013

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Kilo India posted:

Maybe I should go on eLance, order 20 articles for $40 and then upload them all to Constant Content after some editing...

I think it's a good idea. I like to clean up ideas more than come up with them.

I see some tech companies, ad agencies and the like come up with promotional/educational material they sell for $99-$100's of dollars a pop.

Totes got 5 stars from the HVAC person on Z-rys. We will see what the other 5 I hastily did come in as.

Kilo India
Mar 12, 2006

E/N Success Story
The three strikes isn't a rule, which (to me) is what makes it more frustrating. It's just that they reserve the right to pull you if you have three editorial rejections, because they don't want to waste their time editing.

I think older users are safe. I've seen newer users simply get a few rejected and have their accounts dropped right away but I haven't seen it used on older users. If your first 5 articles are rejected for editorial reasons I think you definitely get dropped, but I might be wrong. I've seen that happen a few times.

It's the lack of clarity about the rule that makes me nervous.

I'm going to go to eLance and order 5 articles about insurance and dogs, upload them to CC and let you guys know how it goes. It's not exactly a new business model but hey, it's new to me.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Try not to be too successful, they might get suspicious of the subsequent goonrush.

I wouldn't be surprised to find the content you get from eLance ends up being more work than it's worth to fix up.

Kilo India
Mar 12, 2006

E/N Success Story
Actually I'm discovering some interesting things from the "other side" of the pond.

Most of the bids I get are actually very high. For 2,500 words (which I specified to be quick and not have to be grammatically correct), the lowest bids are $50 and the majority of the bids are over $100. Many of the writers that are bidding about $120 have a significant amount of income. The highest bidder at $164 has only made $2,000 but her proposal had TYPOS in it.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Yeah, I'd be really leery of anyone bidding $50 for that many words. I'd expect lorem ipsum.

Kilo India
Mar 12, 2006

E/N Success Story
Interestingly, from what I'm seeing those on eLance make about twice as much money as those on WA and other content sites on the jobs they DO get... Many of them are using forms for their proposals, which means they just put high proposals in for everything and eventually something sticks. Many of them are writing at rates of $40-$60/hour.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Nighthand posted:

MTurk is in there under penny work, because every time I've ever checked, there's been nothing but surveys for a few cents each and other such garbage. I'll certainly welcome an efforpost about them, though.

Turns out I had quite a bit to say about MTurk. :v: Here it is.

---------------

Amazon Mechanical Turk: An Introduction

What Is Amazon Mechanical Turk?

Amazon Mechanical Turk, or MTurk for short, is exactly what its front page says it is: a marketplace for work. People and companies who need tasks completed that cannot be performed by a computer post those tasks on MTurk, and other users of the site complete them. The people who post work on the site are called requesters. Those who do the work are officially called Mechanical Turk Workers, but within the online worker communities (more on this later), we just call ourselves workers, or Turkers. Individual work tasks are referred to as Human Intelligence Tasks, or HITs.

Mechanical Turk is named after a mechanical device that its creators claimed was an automated machine that could play chess, but it was actually operated by a human being hidden inside. (If you're interested in the full story, it's here.) The MTurk website works similarly: requesters enter the work they need done into a computer system (the MTurk requester portal, or the API) and get completed work back from that same system, but the work was actually done by human beings.

When you, as a worker, complete tasks on Mechanical Turk and the requester approves your work, your pay is deposited into your Amazon Payments account. You can use it to buy Amazon.com gift cards, or have it transferred to a checking account. One of the major advantages of MTurk over other sites that pay for small online tasks is that you can cash out your earnings as often as you want, since the minimum amount for all transfers out of Amazon Payments is $1.00. (However, you can only do this after you've completed your first 10 days of work, as described in the “Signing Up” section below.

What Kinds of Tasks Are Available on MTurk?

That's another great thing about it: There are so many different kinds of tasks to choose from! Many of the companies that post the most work on MTurk (and some of the best-paying work) are audio transcription and content-writing services, so it's a good place to start building those skills, or to look for additional work if you're already doing online work in those fields. Some requesters are looking for people to annotate and analyze the content and sentiments present in posts found on social media. There are always plenty of data-entry tasks; many requesters need postcards, paper forms, and other scanned documents transcribed into a digital format. Of course, there are always academics who post surveys and experiments. This is only a small sample of the tasks that are regularly available; many other kinds of tasks have been posted to MTurk, and both old and new requesters are constantly posting new work.

Signing Up

Amazon likes to make all their sites single-sign-on, so if you already have any kind of account with Amazon, use your existing email address and password to log in for the first time. (Click on “Sign in as a Worker” in the upper right corner of the front page to get to the login page.) If you've never used MTurk before, you will have to link your MTurk account to your Amazon Payments account (if you don't have one, you can create one at this point) and enter tax information. This is so that Amazon can report your earnings on Form 1099-K if they exceed $20,000 in a tax year. (This policy was put into effect in December of 2012; the FAQ for it is here.) On the Amazon Payments site, you can enter the information Amazon Payments needs to deposit money into your checking account.

Note: If you have an Amazon Seller account, that account balance is kept completely separate from your Amazon Payments account balance.

It usually takes a few business days for new accounts to be approved. (Unfortunately, Amazon limited new MTurk accounts to US residents only some time ago.) New users are only allowed to accept a maximum of 100 HITs for each of the first 10 days that they work on the site. After you have actively worked for at least 10 days (no, they don't have to be consecutive), this restriction is lifted.

Amazon is very strict about each worker only having one MTurk account and one Amazon Payments account, period. The next section will cover how to maintain your account in good standing.

Worker Statistics

You can see your total earnings so far, the number of HITs you have completed, how many have been approved or are still pending, and other stats on your Dashboard. The single most important statistic on this page is your approval rate: the percentage of the HITs you have submitted that have been approved by the requester (as opposed to being rejected by the requester). Protect your approval rating carefully. Many requesters use it as a qualification for their HITs: only workers with an approval rate of X% or higher can accept or complete their HITs. “Returned HITs” is the number of HITs you have accepted, then decided not to do and pressed the “Return” button. “Abandoned HITs” is the number of times the completion timer on the HIT has run out before you submitted the HIT. Neither of these are as big a deal as approval rate, since they are very rarely used as qualifications.

It is possible for requesters to issue a block that prevents you from doing their HITs. You do not want this to happen, since accounts with too many blocks get banned from MTurk. You can avoid them (for the most part) by using the tools listed later in this post and completing all the tasks you accept in good faith.

The Number-One Rule for Earning Good Money on MTurk

As a worker in MTurk's market for work, you do have power - the power to determine how much your time is worth and choose your own rate of pay by choosing to complete only work that pays fairly. MTurk has its reputation for low-paying tasks because there have been, and are, workers willing to complete those tasks for so little money. Don't be one of those workers. You are worth more than that. Choose to work for requesters who value your services.

To evaluate whether a task is worth your time, first estimate how long it will take to complete, or, better yet, try one of the tasks and time yourself with a stopwatch. (This method allows you to take into account the time it takes for the HIT to load and to submit.) Then, calculate how many of those task you could complete in an hour, and how much you would earn if you did. If you wouldn't work for that little money, don't accept the task.

Tools for Making MTurk Worth Your While

Despite its reputation, MTurk has veins of fairly-well-paying work hidden beneath its barren surface. You just have to know where to start digging and what excavation tools are available for your use. Those tools include sort order, searches, qualifications, and worker communities.

• Sort Order: There is a drop-down menu at the top of every page of HITs that allows you to change the order in which HITs are displayed. Each setting will show different groups of HITs first. Play with the different settings and see what's available.
  • Search: The search bar at the top of the screen lets you filter HITs not only by keywords, but also by minimum reward amounts. You can use it to display only tasks that pay a certain amount or above, or only a certain kind of task, or both at once.
  • Qualifications: Some requesters attach qualifications to their work to limit the pool of workers who can complete them. Approval rate, number of HITs completed, and location are the three most commonly-used qualifications. Many requesters also create custom qualifications, which may be earned by taking a qualification test on MTurk, completing a preliminary qualifying HIT, or through other means, depending on the requester. If you see tasks you're interested in that are grayed out (the title of the HIT group appears on a gray background, rather than a blue one), click on the title to expand the HIT group, and see if there's a custom qualification on it.
  • Worker Communities: There are several communities where Turkers (and sometimes requesters!) gather to share experience and knowledge and to discuss working on MTurk. One of them is the HITs Worth Turking For subreddit (yeah, I know - please don't be scared away by the domain, it's just a list of surveys, nothing more). There are links to the other major communities in the right sidebar of that page.

Some of the Major Players on MTurk

These are just a few of the big-name requesters on MTurk.

• CastingWords: Offers lots of transcription work. Has an extensive style guide and a custom qualification whose value can go up and down with the quality of your work.
  • SpeechInk: Ditto, except with a slightly different style guide and different user interface.
  • Claritrans: Another transcription company, and my personal favorite because the tasks are always short, and the style guide (linked on every HIT) is straightforward and easy to get used to.
  • CrowdFlower: One of the largest requesters on MTurk. Posts a little bit of just about everything except transcription. Often posts fairly large batches of HITs, many of which have to do with analyzing the content and sentiment of posts on social media. Once in a long while, they will actually post a HIT that pays fairly.
  • CrowdSource:

kazmeyer posted:

I've worked for Demand Studios for some time, so mind-melting levels of paradoxical subjectivity are really nothing new. :)

I couldn't have described CrowdSource's current article-writing project any better. :v: Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately depending on your perspective, they are not currently taking on any new writers. They do sometimes post non-writing HITs, and they are sometimes worth doing and sometimes not.

Final Thoughts

MTurk offers a broad variety of work, the flexibility to work as much or as little as you want, and the convenience of transferring your earnings to a checking account or an Amazon.com gift card. There is a learning curve, but there is more than one supportive community out there to help you get up to speed and optimize your Turking.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

What do you mostly do on MTurk? Transcription? How do the transcription rates compare to Daily Transcripts (Kaz would know better than me.) That's certainly a great post and I'll add it to or link it in the OP.

In other news, I'm starting to get quite burned out on the company profiles on WA. I've done something like 33 of them and I'm slowing down quite a bit. It's been a nice break from the standard Textbroker SEO articles I usually write, but I need some variety soon.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

The last time I looked at transcription on MTurk, the rates were ridiculously low. (I had a friend alert me to transcription jobs there since she knew that was one of my gigs, and the math was hilarious.)

And I think I'm just giving up on WA. At three stars, there's just no work available, and the one client I actually took a job for took a week to approve a $3.50 product description and gave me "meets expectations". The amount of slave labor I'm going to have to do to get a star upgrade just isn't worth it compared to how I could be spending my time.

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 19, 2013

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Nighthand posted:

What do you mostly do on MTurk? Transcription? How do the transcription rates compare to Daily Transcripts (Kaz would know better than me.) That's certainly a great post and I'll add it to or link it in the OP.

Thank you very much! :kiddo: I mostly do HITs that involve analyzing posts for content and/or sentiment, or analyzing language. (In the interest of full disclosure, I have a full-time job, and these days I really only jump on MTurk now and then. Even when I was underemployed, I spent much, much more time on my Fiverr gigs than I did on MTurk.) I haven't done a whole lot of transcription (I've only done ClariTrans and a handful of SpeechInk HITs), and I don't know what the rates are like on Daily Transcripts, so I'll just take kazmeyer's word for it that the rates on MTurk are pretty low.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

PurpleButterfly posted:

Thank you very much! :kiddo: I mostly do HITs that involve analyzing posts for content and/or sentiment, or analyzing language. (In the interest of full disclosure, I have a full-time job, and these days I really only jump on MTurk now and then. Even when I was underemployed, I spent much, much more time on my Fiverr gigs than I did on MTurk.) I haven't done a whole lot of transcription (I've only done ClariTrans and a handful of SpeechInk HITs), and I don't know what the rates are like on Daily Transcripts, so I'll just take kazmeyer's word for it that the rates on MTurk are pretty low.

Well, what's the per-minute rate? Daily Transcripts and Focus Forward are in the 60-70 cent range, which isn't very good but DT is media work and it can lead to much better gigs. When I looked into it, it was from the perspective of someone who's been a transcriber for years and has the luxury of turning down cheap work. Things might have changed, or the rates may not be that bad comparatively for people who are looking for more work.

Kilo India
Mar 12, 2006

E/N Success Story

Nighthand posted:

In other news, I'm starting to get quite burned out on the company profiles on WA. I've done something like 33 of them and I'm slowing down quite a bit. It's been a nice break from the standard Textbroker SEO articles I usually write, but I need some variety soon.

I've been doing pretty well with a combination of WA + Zerys lately. Every time I get bored of one I switch to the other. Amazingly, Zerys has actually had a significant amount of non-HVAC work lately. The car ones in particular are really easy and low effort. They're only 2.8 cents/word but they also only take 10 minutes.

I don't want to go back to Textbroker... it actually makes me feel a little physically ill thinking about them.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I generally seem to have had the best experience out of anyone on Textbroker. I've managed to be picky enough to avoid the shittiest clients and assignments. The pay is a little low compared to the other sites, but not by enough that I'm willing to completely drop it until I'm more established. I've even gotten some decent praise from both editors and clients.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

kazmeyer posted:

Well, what's the per-minute rate? Daily Transcripts and Focus Forward are in the 60-70 cent range, which isn't very good but DT is media work and it can lead to much better gigs. When I looked into it, it was from the perspective of someone who's been a transcriber for years and has the luxury of turning down cheap work. Things might have changed, or the rates may not be that bad comparatively for people who are looking for more work.

At a glance, 'abysmally low' is the only phrase I can use to describe it. Comparing the audio length vs. amount paid legitimately makes my head hurt:

EDIT: On the other hand, Casting Words appears to be offering $1/audio minute (for some of their work, anyway). SpeechInk, not so much.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 19, 2013

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Transcriptionists, need help, for some weird reason when I started working today with Inqscribe, tab or now toggling play off and on and not, you know, tabbing...any idea why this is happening and what I can do to make it stop?

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!
Have you checked your keyboard shortcuts to see if it was somehow reset to default values? I think I remember tab being the default for stop/start.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
I was looking right at it apparently, yes, you are correct, I have the dumb today, thank you. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

That's actually not as low as I remember it for transcription on MTurk -- I think I was seeing numbers in the 25-30 cent range (but all for very short pieces, like 5 minutes or less). In any case, $1/minute isn't a bad rate for starting transcribers these days at all, so it's definitely worth checking out.

(And I found some three-star "rewrite this" work on Writer Access! Hope springs eternal!)