Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Oh no a girl has breasts
It's GTAV all over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

As necessary as robo-hair or robo-clothes have always been I guess, I know you guys feel the need to continually point out that you're not creepy anime nerds but sometimes you overreact a little over nothing.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Guys, sometimes girls have breasts. In fact, they usually do. Also, her boobs aren't huge either, they're normal sized. I don't look at this character and feel that she's really sexualized or anything. She has a freaky lightbulb for a torso. Misogyny and objectification of women are very real problems in the video game industry but come the gently caress on dude, this is not one of those cases.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Petiso posted:

As necessary as robo-hair or robo-clothes have always been I guess, I know you guys feel the need to continually point out that you're not creepy anime nerds but sometimes you overreact a little over nothing.

Yeah, seriously. The protesting itself is a little over the top, almost like overcompensation.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 23, 2014

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Isn't Mighty No3 being a really cool looking non-sexualized black female character a good thing? Because I'm pretty sure that's not exactly something we see often enough in video games. And it's certainly not something the Megaman games ever delivered.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I like that if you can see through her clothes when she takes damage and gets all glowy, what you see is a terrifying robotic monster rather than, you know, a ~Sexy Robot Girl~. Her abdomen is exposed, but it is a light bulb you see there, not skin or anything remotely sexual.

She's fine, guys, really. :unsmith:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Guys please, let's get off this tangent for the sake of the thread and future Mighty No.9 discussion.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

She's actually a pretty awesome design, and so is the fire dude who goes from skinny to buff. Dude made out of guns and has a gun crown and has his face in his crotch looks loving weird as hell, but the other two designs so far are really rad.

It would be cool if instead of robots, they were cyborgs which would make them even freakier. If she was like, a severed human head on top of a robot lightbulb body, that would add in some genuine body horror poo poo.

Then again, that's probably a little darker than what they've intended.

And I'm kinda demented.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

AHungryRobot posted:

I need to know: Is this canon?

Inafune would probably love it. He was pretty big in pushing the "Bad Box Art Mega Man" references during his last few years at Capcom. The appearances in Mega Man Universe, the cover art for MM9 and 10. Even the inclusion of the dude in SFxTK, while pretty much everyone agrees was ill-timed was still something Inafune gave his approval for back in the day.

He really seemed to develop an ironic love for that early eighties mistranslation and representation that went on in the 8-bit days.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Anyone see that episode of Community where they were trying to come up with a design for their school mascot, the Human Being? Yeah. Let's not push for that.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

TaurusOxford posted:

Mighty No. 3:

I dig it. I love the aesthetic of the designs so far.

Really reminds me of the virus designs in the .EXE games. I think it's the face especially but don't quote me on that.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

TaurusOxford posted:

Mighty No. 3:

I dig it. I love the aesthetic of the designs so far.

This is a definite improvement -- it's its own thing, and not aping the old Megaman style.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

taichara posted:

Really reminds me of the virus designs in the .EXE games. I think it's the face especially but don't quote me on that.

That's funny, since that design reminds me heavily of Elecman.exe.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Mighty no.9 is now going to be available on consoles as well.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

AHungryRobot posted:

That's funny, since that design reminds me heavily of Elecman.exe.

She reminds me of the corrupted Mr. Progs from the Elecman level--especially because her feet are together in a single point and she looks like she would be floating above the ground.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I've recently got a giant hankering to play through the Battle Network series again. I miss those games, and it's a drat shame there's not one with online play.

It got me thinking, could comcept make a MMBN clone or can Capcom perform a C&D for exact gameplay?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

If you could actually C&D for extremely gameplay, I don't think a great number of games would actually exist. You can sue over use of property and trademarks, but you can't, for instance, say "We own the concept of a character that jumps on enemies".

Basically, yes, if they filed off the numbers and called terms different things, they could definitely do Mighty Battle Network.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Inafune would probably love it. He was pretty big in pushing the "Bad Box Art Mega Man" references during his last few years at Capcom. The appearances in Mega Man Universe, the cover art for MM9 and 10. Even the inclusion of the dude in SFxTK, while pretty much everyone agrees was ill-timed was still something Inafune gave his approval for back in the day.

He really seemed to develop an ironic love for that early eighties mistranslation and representation that went on in the 8-bit days.

Inafune developed a real love for the west, often criticizing his own company of being too stuck in the mud in their traditional japanese ways to attempt to look critically at their own work and try to widen their appeal.

Of course, this kind of remark got him a fair deal of flack from people who were deeply in love with their imagined Japanese culture and thinking Japan could do no wrong, or at least broached on subjects that we westerners think we're extremely uptight about or not very good at producing.

I really can't hate the guy for being critical, it is kinda obvious he knows the real deal now. Or at least he seems willing to try to learn and listen.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Oh wow. Mighty No. 3 is definitely my favorite of the gang so far. She's so cool. :allears:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Inafune developed a real love for the west, often criticizing his own company of being too stuck in the mud in their traditional japanese ways to attempt to look critically at their own work and try to widen their appeal.

Of course, this kind of remark got him a fair deal of flack from people who were deeply in love with their imagined Japanese culture and thinking Japan could do no wrong, or at least broached on subjects that we westerners think we're extremely uptight about or not very good at producing.

I really can't hate the guy for being critical, it is kinda obvious he knows the real deal now. Or at least he seems willing to try to learn and listen.

His opinions on stuff like that would have had more weight to me if the second he was untethered from Capcom he didn't go and put himself in the most hideously garbage JRPG, in an otome game, and then that attempt to make One Piece with a penguin.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And oddly enough as soon as he left Capcom they started trying to make games appeal more to western audiences, only having interest if they thought they can pull "Call of Duty" numbers.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Gammatron 64 posted:

Guys, sometimes girls have breasts. In fact, they usually do. Also, her boobs aren't huge either, they're normal sized. I don't look at this character and feel that she's really sexualized or anything. She has a freaky lightbulb for a torso. Misogyny and objectification of women are very real problems in the video game industry but come the gently caress on dude, this is not one of those cases.

We must protect women from objectification by never showing them in a video game, ever. This is the only way to save them from the terrible danger of having breasts.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Waffleopolis posted:

I've recently got a giant hankering to play through the Battle Network series again. I miss those games, and it's a drat shame there's not one with online play.

It got me thinking, could comcept make a MMBN clone or can Capcom perform a C&D for exact gameplay?

There was talk of an HD, online version of MMBN1 for DS but I guess that idea died.

edit: On the wikipedia page for MMBN, I found this awesome gem:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/20899/settlers-of-catan-rockman-edition

Skychrono fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 17, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

Of course, this kind of remark got him a fair deal of flack from people who were deeply in love with their imagined Japanese culture and thinking Japan could do no wrong, or at least broached on subjects that we westerners think we're extremely uptight about or not very good at producing.n.

Or for the fact that his apparent interest in Western development bordered on "WESTERN IS GOOD" instead of "Good Western developers" which is why he pushed for a bunch of games from terrible or completely unknown Western developers, only one of which ended up good.

He had a good start but he hasn't really demonstrated anything more than that and if anything demonstrated a mindset as narrow and poorly focused as those he criticized. I think it's pretty worthwhile to note that Mighty No. 9 is going back to largely Japanese development team members.

I mean don't get me wrong, I have good hopes for M#9 as a game, but Inafune's comments about Japanese development are truth mixed with some really weird ideas about how to take advantage of Western development.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 17, 2013

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Agreed.

Meanwhile, they just posted some new fanart for Mighty No. 9 and this struck me heavily, though it was posted first too.

This reference made me smile a bit. Throwing Shantae a lifeline is pretty drat nice of them.

Another one, for good measure:

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 17, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
That's a cool Not-Abandoned Highway, complete with Not-X cars.

You gotta respect how many fans are truly backing this. Maybe if Capcom had this kind of fan support they would have more than 152 million dollars left in reserve.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Lurdiak posted:

Were the robo-boobs really necessary? :sigh:

Lurdiak posted:

It just adds to the vaguely uncomfortable feeling some of the Call designs give me. It'd have been nice if this game didn't have any of that.

The hell is wrong with you

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mordaedil posted:

Agreed.

Meanwhile, they just posted some new fanart for Mighty No. 9 and this struck me heavily, though it was posted first too.

Oh my god, its MegaMan X HD :stare:

drat that's really pretty. Can the game just look like that? Please?

TaurusOxford posted:

That's a cool Not-Abandoned Highway, complete with Not-X cars.

yeup, my thoughts exactly. :haw: But I'm totally cool with this. :colbert: MMX is best MM.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

yeup, my thoughts exactly. :haw: But I'm totally cool with this. :colbert: MMX is best MM.

I was just thinking the other day about how X1-3 all had great concepts and great music for their intro stages. I'd cite them as probably the best examples of how to grab a player in the first few minutes, and other games should learn from them. The later X games' intro stages were all steps down from the first 3, but they also had new mechanics to explain and came out when "Get in there, kid! Read the instruction manual if you don't know what you're doing!" no longer flew.

Mordaedil posted:

Throwing Shantae a lifeline is pretty drat nice of them.

I feel really bad for Shantae's kickstarter being so overshadowed by Mighty No. 9. I don't know much about kickstarter's bureaucracy, but I can't imagine WayForward voluntarily chose to start theirs up so soon after Mighty's. It looks like they might squeak by the minimum, but I think they'll be lucky to hit the first stretch goal. But then eleventh hour miracles do happen on kickstarter with some frequency.

I guess it shows that Mega Man fan base nostalgia is more powerful than even the lure of a cartoon belly dancer (from a franchise nobody has ever heard of).

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 17, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

chumbler posted:

I feel really bad for Shantae's kickstarter being so overshadowed by Mighty No. 9. I don't know much about kickstarter's bureaucracy, but I can't imagine WayForward voluntarily chose to start theirs up so soon after Mighty's. It looks like they might squeak by the minimum, but I think they'll be lucky to hit the first stretch goal. But then eleventh hour miracles do happen on kickstarter with some frequency.

I guess it shows that Mega Man fan base nostalgia is more powerful than even the lure of a cartoon belly dancer (from a franchise nobody has ever heard of).

The series always seemed to get the short end of the stick. Sure, Capcom published the first game for the Game Boy Color, but that was almost a year after the Game Boy Advance was launched. The second game was a self-published DSiWare title, and as far as I know, Nintendo barely acknowledged existence of DSiWare. It got an iOS port, but like anybody who buys games on iOS is going to pay more than $1 on anything. Hopefully the third game gets some recognition, since it's a 3DS eShop title this time around.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 17, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

whaley posted:

The hell is wrong with you

A neckbeard walks down the street. A girl walks by, and he notices she has boobs.

"LOOK OUT! You have mamaries on your chest dear madam! I must protect your honor!"

The neckbeard draws his katana and slices her boobs off. She clutches her chest as she bleeds to death in the street.

"Ah, another day, another pair of breasts thwarted. No need to thank me. Good day madam!" He tips his fedora and walks off into the sunset.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

chumbler posted:

I was just thinking the other day about how X1-3 all had great concepts and great music for their intro stages. I'd cite them as probably the best examples of how to grab a player in the first few minutes, and other games should learn from them. The later X games' intro stages were all steps down from the first 3, but they also had new mechanics to explain and came out when "Get in there, kid! Read the instruction manual if you don't know what you're doing!" no longer flew.

X6 might've been a bad game but holy poo poo did its first stage music kick rear end.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Can't really agree there. That track doesn't really do anything for me. Really though, X6 had an odd soundtrack. A lot of laid back, slower tracks like Yamark, the intro stage, Sigma 1, Shield Sheldon, and Rainy Turtloid, and then chaotic or fast things like Gate's lab, Blaze Heatnix, Sigma 2, and Gate himself. It runs the gamut from easy listening to basically shredding metal.

Now if you want a terrible MM game with a great soundtrack, look at X7.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Yeah X6 doesn't have bad music, but it doesn't even make it to my top ten list as far as MM soundtracks go.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The soundtrack is one of the only redeeming things about X6. X6 and X7 are among the worst Mega Man games ever made and it's hard to think of many that are crappier without venturing licensed games that are dubiously official, like Mega Man I and III for MS-DOS and Rockman and Forte for the Wonderswan.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Gammatron 64 posted:

The soundtrack is one of the only redeeming things about X6. X6 and X7 are among the worst Mega Man games ever made and it's hard to think of many that are crappier without venturing licensed games that are dubiously official, like Mega Man I and III for MS-DOS and Rockman and Forte for the Wonderswan.

When you think about it, the Megaman series has shown remarkable fortitude in that it endured several Duke Nukem Forever scale stinkers before starting to wither and die saleswise. It was exploited mercilessly, treated carelessly and now Capcom's oldest, most reliable source of revenue lays dead and they have nobody to blame but themselves.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I wish they'd milk GnG like they milked Megaman, I wouldn't even care.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Hobo Siege posted:

When you think about it, the Megaman series has shown remarkable fortitude in that it endured several Duke Nukem Forever scale stinkers before starting to wither and die saleswise. It was exploited mercilessly, treated carelessly and now Capcom's oldest, most reliable source of revenue lays dead and they have nobody to blame but themselves.

Comparing X6 and X7 to Duke Nukem forever perhaps isn't an apt comparison. Don't get me wrong, said games suck, but they're different beasts. Duke Nukem forever was developed for over a decade, huge amounts of time and money were wasted on it and it was hyped up for years. X6 was made on a shoestring budget, rushed out barely after X5 was released, and released with little fanfare.

Duke Nukem forever wanted to be a great game but failed, Capcom didn't even try with Mega Man X6. That says a lot, really. Now they care so little that they can't even pump out half-assed sequels anymore. You know, maybe it's for the best that Mega Man Volnutt is stuck on the moon.

Honestly, Mega Man is more closely related to Sonic, except he never had any high profile failures and less total stinkers, but unlike Sonic he never had a comeback. Or well, I guess he did with Mega Man 9 and 10... but after that he must have decided to quit while he was ahead...

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 18, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hobo Siege posted:

Mega Man was never actually their most reliable source of income. Like not even close. It had a strong cult following and was very recognizable but it was never one of their biggest reliable sellers past the NES era.

I know people love Mega Man. I know they love it a lot. It has never actually been a huge tremendous seller. It had a lot of bombs, a lot of underperformers and even at the height of its success it wasn't huge except insomuch as it was one of the more distinctive and prolific NES series. It's more comparable to Castlevania where it was an NES icon who lingered out through a few excellent games/series reinventions but never got its old hype back.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Hobo Siege posted:

The series pretty much has over 30 games across different platforms. I would say that it had a very good run.

But time hasn't been kind to a lot of old franchises. Most notably, Castlevania and Sonic.