Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Kimmalah posted:

I also just realized recently that I have the Ultimate Edition that supposedly has the Courier's Stash stuff, but I don't remember ever getting anything at the beginning of the game. Is that supposed to just automatically show up in your inventory or do I need to go find it?

You should have it at the start, unless you have installed a mod, for example JSawyer, that hides the stuff around the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The game does however make an autosave right before the final sequence, and then you're free to pick that up after the end.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Seashell Salesman posted:

You should have it at the start, unless you have installed a mod, for example JSawyer, that hides the stuff around the map.
That's one of my favourite things about jsawyer.exp, actually. I have an irrational hatred of starting a game loaded up with DLC gear.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Remember my bug? Well, the game decided to respawn the boxes and Stimpacks I had already picked up, so I had to go back to where they were originally. :wtc:

And now, the game crashes when I try to exit the Broc Flower Cave. :v: Man, I really want to like NV - but it just won't let me.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Azran posted:

I've been playing for like three or so hours, and I just noticed I only have 5 Stimpacks and 1 Doctor Bag. :psyduck: I grabbed loving everything from Goodsprings to Nipton. Hell, I managed to make 10 Stimpacks in between Lombard and Mitchell's house. And I never ever used a single one.

And now I only have those? What the hell? Is this a known bug or something?

Azran posted:

Remember my bug? Well, the game decided to respawn the boxes and Stimpacks I had already picked up, so I had to go back to where they were originally. :wtc:

As a nod to Fallout 2's European release, New Vegas kept in invisible pickpocketing children who steal random things that later turn up in merchants' inventories. I'm sorry you had to find out this way.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Seashell Salesman posted:

No mods. I was using a borrowed disc that was the regular version so maybe that was it? But the DLC is installed on my 360's hard drive so :iiam:

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Lord Chumley posted:

You cannot play after finishing the main quest.

There is a stable working mod which allows this now.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Rex Deckard posted:

There is a stable working mod which allows this now.
The Mojave will be the exact same after the ending. Even if that mod is stable now, it's effect is no different then you reloading a save from before the battle starts.

I'd do the Battle for Hooverdam when you're ready to retire your character. If you really want to do it and still continue with the character, just keep a save from before the point of no return around.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 17, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
You actually get to keep the Hoover Dam battle loot with the mod, Raygerejo, *meaningful* difference. :smuggo:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Just console in Lanius's mask and you too can run around in style!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Okay, I'm crashing every time I try to leave Broc Flower Cave. I even tried to use "coc <cell name>" to leave, and it still crashes. :sigh: Any ideas? Running Project Nevada if that matters. Google searches are turning up nothing.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Geez, I did not realize how bonkers-good explosives are in this game. I decided to poke at the NCRCF, and the Admin building was giving me trouble- there were about 4 guys with SMGs that destroyed me. So I grabbed the DLC Grenade Rifle (In other news, the DLC Shotgun is wonderful to have), exited the building, and turned around. As they all piled out, boom boom boom. Explosives also were the reason I was able to kill about 10 giant Radscorpions outside the Mojave Outpost West of Primm. Took a lot of effort, but boom-boom carried the day again.

I'm going to have to keep bumping up my explosives score.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Down With People posted:

The DLC stories are tightly woven with the main game's plot and themes.

Uh, sorry what?

The DLC story is just a story on its own, it completely disregards the entire NCR vs Legion war (except Lonesome road, but that's a bit different).
Names of people and places are mentioned in the main game, yes, so they are not completely isolated but they are still have no connection to the main story.
I know every time I finish one DLC I think "oh boy, back to this pointless war again", but it's maybe just me who enjoys scavenging old ruins for ancient artefacts, which connects to a bigger problem I have with New Vegas, but that's another can of worms...

BodineWilson
Dec 21, 2009

Azran posted:

Okay, I'm crashing every time I try to leave Broc Flower Cave. I even tried to use "coc <cell name>" to leave, and it still crashes. :sigh: Any ideas? Running Project Nevada if that matters. Google searches are turning up nothing.

I've had similar issues, and it can be difficult to fix.

In all probability it's one of your mods.
Backup your save, and try disabling all of them, then leave, and see if that improves things. If it does, then begins the horror of re-enabling them one at a time to determine one it was that caused your game to crash.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Bholder posted:

Uh, sorry what?

The DLC story is just a story on its own, it completely disregards the entire NCR vs Legion war (except Lonesome road, but that's a bit different).
Names of people and places are mentioned in the main game, yes, so they are not completely isolated but they are still have no connection to the main story.

A big theme of New Vegas is the past and how people cling to/are shaped by/draw strength from/remember/forget/let go of/reenact it. It shows up in everything from how the Courier is severed from their past and chases after it (unless you totally ignore the main plot and go spelunking, which it sounds like you like to do), to the three main factions' relations to pre-War history and their own pasts, to the fact that everyone is preparing for the Second Battle of Hoover Dam. It's a good choice for a post-apocalyptic game that comes after several others in the same series, and it's very prominent in the DLC. The actual plot connections are weaker but present: a lot of the DLC is a way to explore the history of factions and events from the main story. Old World Blues is more tightly connected to the rest of the DLC than the main game itself, but even it feels like part of the same whole.

HundredBears fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 17, 2013

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

On that note, it's a tiny thing, but I really like Elijah's reaction if you tell him Veronica is alive. He sounds genuinely moved for a second, then goes back into Evil Whacko mode.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

BodineWilson posted:

I've had similar issues, and it can be difficult to fix.

In all probability it's one of your mods.
Backup your save, and try disabling all of them, then leave, and see if that improves things. If it does, then begins the horror of re-enabling them one at a time to determine one it was that caused your game to crash.

Of all the things that it could have been, it was the damned PipBoy Lantern mod. You know, the one that adds a model for when it's turned on. It wasn't even turned on. :psyduck:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I was talking to a friend today and realized that the final battle for Hoover Dam felt kind of empty and far less epic than I expected. There's the initial skirmishes that are pretty crazy but it doesn't feel like it builds to the end. Am I the only one with that impression?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

tadashi posted:

I was talking to a friend today and realized that the final battle for Hoover Dam felt kind of empty and far less epic than I expected. There's the initial skirmishes that are pretty crazy but it doesn't feel like it builds to the end. Am I the only one with that impression?

Absolutely not, but it's kinda a technical limitation of Gamebryo/consoles.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Raygereio posted:

The Mojave will be the exact same after the ending. Even if that mod is stable now, it's effect is no different then you reloading a save from before the battle starts.

I'd do the Battle for Hooverdam when you're ready to retire your character. If you really want to do it and still continue with the character, just keep a save from before the point of no return around.

So what exactly is the point of no return? Is it when you get that message warning you that you're committing to certain side in the war (in my case just before completing For the Republic, Part 2)?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

You'll get a big popup saying "Time for the last fight, better save your game!" or somesuch.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Kimmalah posted:

So what exactly is the point of no return? Is it when you get that message warning you that you're committing to certain side in the war (in my case just before completing For the Republic, Part 2)?

I think it's the bit where you get teleported to the dam. Don't remember when that happens for a Legion playthrough.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

No. There's a pop-up, similar to the one you got about committing to a side, that says "Save here, this is the point of no return."

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

The point of no return is when the last quest of the main quest chain starts. If you're following the NCR path, that would be Eureka.
When you're given the last quest, the game even gives you a pop up saying "Point of no return comming up. If there's anything else you want to do, you should go do that first."

Edit: When will I learn to refresh the friggin page before replying?

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 17, 2013

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

You'll get a big popup saying "Time for the last fight, better save your game!" or somesuch.

Oh well I guess that will be obvious enough for me then! :v:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Rogue 7 posted:

Geez, I did not realize how bonkers-good explosives are in this game. I decided to poke at the NCRCF, and the Admin building was giving me trouble- there were about 4 guys with SMGs that destroyed me. So I grabbed the DLC Grenade Rifle (In other news, the DLC Shotgun is wonderful to have), exited the building, and turned around. As they all piled out, boom boom boom. Explosives also were the reason I was able to kill about 10 giant Radscorpions outside the Mojave Outpost West of Primm. Took a lot of effort, but boom-boom carried the day again.

I'm going to have to keep bumping up my explosives score.

I'm doing an explosives run right now, and I know exactly how you feel. I just got the Grenade Machinegun and I'm having a great time casually making enemies legs fly off. I need to pick up a few things, then I'm going to Lonesome Road to pick up the Red Glare and gently caress poo poo up even more. After that, the last weapon I need is an Esher so I can nuke any outdoors assholes from a distance. Caesar's Legion and deathclaws are going to disappear in a haze of explosions and there's nothing that'll stop me. :black101:

The hardest part of an explosives run seems to be ammo. The only merchant that's selling a good amount of 25mm/40mm grenades, missiles and rockets is the Great Khan Armorer. Quartermaster Bardon refuses to sell to me because I got too many NCR negative rep points. Apparently, the entire NCR thinks I'm a big dick because I gibbed the squatters in North Vegas and shoved a live grenade into Henry Jamison's pocket. Suck it up NCR. They were all shitheads anyways.

Anywho, the rest of the vendors are selling a small amount of 25mm grenades and missiles, 10ish 40mm greandes, a handful of GRA nukes, and no rockets. That's ok for brief encounters, but there's no way I'd have enough ammo for long treks or the DLCs. I guess I'll have to finish Lonesome Road soon so I can nuke both NCR and the Legion, then get the pardon from the NCR so I can hop over and start really loading up on explosive weapon ammo.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

closeted republican posted:

I'm doing an explosives run right now, and I know exactly how you feel. I just got the Grenade Machinegun and I'm having a great time casually making enemies legs fly off. I need to pick up a few things, then I'm going to Lonesome Road to pick up the Red Glare and gently caress poo poo up even more. After that, the last weapon I need is an Esher so I can nuke any outdoors assholes from a distance. Caesar's Legion and deathclaws are going to disappear in a haze of explosions and there's nothing that'll stop me. :black101:

The hardest part of an explosives run seems to be ammo. The only merchant that's selling a good amount of 25mm/40mm grenades, missiles and rockets is the Great Khan Armorer. Quartermaster Bardon refuses to sell to me because I got too many NCR negative rep points. Apparently, the entire NCR thinks I'm a big dick because I gibbed the squatters in North Vegas and shoved a live grenade into Henry Jamison's pocket. Suck it up NCR. They were all shitheads anyways.

Anywho, the rest of the vendors are selling a small amount of 25mm grenades and missiles, 10ish 40mm greandes, a handful of GRA nukes, and no rockets. That's ok for brief encounters, but there's no way I'd have enough ammo for long treks or the DLCs. I guess I'll have to finish Lonesome Road soon so I can nuke both NCR and the Legion, then get the pardon from the NCR so I can hop over and start really loading up on explosive weapon ammo.

Kill the Boomers loot their entire base.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Even if you don't loot the Boomers, they do have a vendor who sells 25mm grenades. He's in the big cafeteria room. Though, IIRC his supply usually isn't that big.

edit: Lonesome Road does also provide 25mm ammo in some of its loot containers (randomized, but it can show up.) You're right to be concerned about the other DLCs though.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

Boomer farmers just hoeing some corn with a Fat Man strapped to their back is one of the funnier images in New Vegas.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The single biggest thing I missed when going back to Fallout 3 was the grenade rifle. I loved that rifle in a manner not altogether proper.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Byzantine posted:

The single biggest thing I missed when going back to Fallout 3 was the grenade rifle. I loved that rifle in a manner not altogether proper.

Thump-Thump is actually a pretty handy crowd-control weapon even if you aren't playing an explosives character. Low skill requirement, fairly light weight, good blast radius, it's even possible to aim it properly after a few tries. It also can be used as an anti-robot weapon in Old World Blues if you have the GRA 40mm pulse grenades.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Holy loving poo poo the Esther is incredible. I never really used the Fat Man outside of the part in F3 were you were basically required to use it, but god drat that thing does not gently caress around. As a test, I decided to nuke the mercs that take over Vikki and Vance in Primm. One Low Yield incinerated everyone but the melee guy in one hit, who was finished off by a Tiny Tots blast. Thanks to the GRA Mini Nukes, I can use the Esther to clear out a location, no matter how big or small it is. I can give make Caesar glow with a Tiny Tot, then clear out Deathclaws with Big Kids. Too bad vendors don't sell a lot of mini nukes, or I'd be using it all the time. Still going to pick up the Red Glare because it's cool and will be the only weapon in my final loadout that shoots projectiles straight instead of at an angle.

quote:

The Boomers are my buddies. They just want to see everything get blown up, just like me. I could never hurt them. :colbert:

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So I was thinking of doing an explosives orientated character. Is there enough variety for such weapons for it to be fun? Also what else would you suggest would be fun to specialize? I've already dipped into Shotguns and Sniping. I was thinking either melee, Laser or Plasma.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The awesome thing about Energy Weapons is killing off the Van Graffs and having access to their absurd stockpile. The not awesome thing is that you'll get the Holorifle soon enough and then there's no need for any of it except the ammo.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SkySteak posted:

So I was thinking of doing an explosives orientated character. Is there enough variety for such weapons for it to be fun?
YES. Blow up everything. Between dynamite, grenades, grenade rifles, the APW, Red Glare, and the absurd number of nuke variations, you'll have a nice variety. You can go all-in on them, but I recommend at least one other skill, preferably melee or unarmed, for close-range fighting since even with Hit the Deck, you will murder yourself in close quarters.

EWs honestly play very similarly to guns. Go explosives or melee (or both!) instead of EWs, I think.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

DeathChicken posted:

The awesome thing about Energy Weapons is killing off the Van Graffs and having access to their absurd stockpile. The not awesome thing is that you'll get the Holorifle soon enough and then there's no need for any of it except the ammo.

The not awesome thing is that you can't sell their poo poo off for ridiculous amounts of money. The Van Graffs are my midgame income boost.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I had a lot of fun doing a laser-rifle/critical-hits build. The laser rifle has a 1.5x crit multiplier, and when you put the beam splitter mod on it, each beam it fires rolls separately for critical hits.

I roamed the wasteland in a lab coat and First Recon beret, reducing everything to ash. :science:

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

DeathChicken posted:

I just walk into the bathroom holding a plasma caster. No questions asked.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I haven't used the Holorifle much- doesn't it do middling damage and a small DOT? Never seemed worth the trouble to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
105 damage per shot when fully modded and repaired. I think the only energy weapons that do more damage are the Gauss Rifle/YCS and the unique Tesla cannons.