Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Speaking of sweaters and cardigans, I have a whole bunch of really nice wool yarn in a dark barely tweedy grey- I found a few cardigan patterns, but I'm really nervous about starting/ swatching for them. Does any one have any good (as in I can wear this and not look like a jack rear end) sweater/ cardigan pattern suggestions for a first time sweater knitter?

(if I remember correctly, this is the yarn: http://www.ravelry.com/stash/search#colorway=704&photo=yes&view=cards&yarn-link=plymouth-yarn-galway-highland-heather)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Does anyone else here ever sulk and hide from their knitting? Whenever I have a particularly troublesome project, I put it somewhere I can see it (I want to keep an eye on that fucker) and glare at it whenever I want to knit, but then I don't pick it up because it's a pain in the rear end.

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
Oh my dear, I have one of those now. It's taken me two years and I still have 4 repeats to go. As it is written, it's a simple snood, but I added about 1200 tiny seed beads to it. Even worse, It's a gift for my sister. She's been asking for it every couple months since I started it.

Thank goodness I learned the magic trick of using dental floss to bead my knitting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVyBV8hTemM

Note: I want to point out that I've been making progress on it. It's just VERY slow going.

ironveins
Nov 24, 2007
They like you better framed and dried.

jota23 posted:

Thank goodness I learned the magic trick of using dental floss to bead my knitting!

This is amazing. I will now need to bead all the shawls.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Pile of Kittens posted:

Does anyone else here ever sulk and hide from their knitting? Whenever I have a particularly troublesome project, I put it somewhere I can see it (I want to keep an eye on that fucker) and glare at it whenever I want to knit, but then I don't pick it up because it's a pain in the rear end.

Yes, I put projects in time out all the time. Or the naughty corner. They need to sit there and think about what they've done for a while, during which time I pick up something nice and simple to work on. This 10 stitch baby blanket is getting done fast while I glare at that washcloth design I, err, that keeps loving up.

mcknitknot
Sep 3, 2013

Ask me how Chick-fil-A is a
four star restaurant
:getin:

Pile of Kittens posted:

Ha! I actually laughed out loud on that one! When I was working n my daughters baby blanket I did this quite a bit. The border was something that I just could not figure out! I'd sit my knitting bag in the middle of the floor and just circle it. Shifty Bastard!

But I figured it out and the blankie was snuggled happily ever after!

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
One of our first crisp mornings of fall today - I'm holed up in my apartment wearing PJs with knit socks and sweater, drinking copious amounts of coffee, and turning a heel on a gorgeous cabled sock...life is pretty good. Fall is definitely knitting season.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
making this hat:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hat-and-scarf-with-rhombuses

Seem to have lost all my knitting knowledge in my hiatus. No idea how the travelling stitches are done! I know it must be something like knit second stitch first then first, but I'm lost and keep forgetting how I did it if I did manage it at all.

Help me goons, you're my only hope :saddowns:

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

marchantia posted:

One of our first crisp mornings of fall today - I'm holed up in my apartment wearing PJs with knit socks and sweater, drinking copious amounts of coffee, and turning a heel on a gorgeous cabled sock...life is pretty good. Fall is definitely knitting season.

I am so jealous. It's still in the 90s here. Knitting is uncomfortable because of the heat. Also I want to try double knitting because I desperately need another project to sit around unfinished for forever.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

That's weird that it doesn't explain the stitch. Oh well. Since it's a purl background I'd actually just treat it like a 1x1 cable. IE, for right twist, put the next stitch to the back on a needle to the back of the work, knit the second stitch, purl the stitch from the cable needle. Left twist, put the next stitch on a cable needle to the front of the work, purl the second stitch, knit the stitch from the cable needle.

Might be good practice too to learn to cable without a needle, which is what I do 90% of the time unless they're very big crossings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6DB6WhAKvY

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Gah I can do it with the cable needle, but without my brain just short circuits and can't work out what's going in front and what's going behind. This is so simple, why have I lost all my knitting mojo? :C

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

marchantia posted:

I can't even put into words how jealous I am. Not only is it still stupidly hot here (I think it's supposed to be 94 today), but I never have the time to chill and knit without being covered by cats or kids or both.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I have three projects going now. Scarves for my sister and my 8-year-old cousin (who LOVES pink so I had to get some fuzzy pink yarn for her) and a hand towel that's 54 stitches wide on #8 needles because I don't have enough to do.

My sister's scarf is gonna be done before I know it, though, because the yarn is so chunky. In maybe two days I've already put a couple feet into it.

I am a pro at making rectangles. :v:

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Pile of Kittens posted:

I did that with my daughter's baby blanket. It's still not even started really. She turns two in November. :smith:

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013

jota23 posted:

Oh my dear, I have one of those now. It's taken me two years and I still have 4 repeats to go. As it is written, it's a simple snood, but I added about 1200 tiny seed beads to it. Even worse, It's a gift for my sister. She's been asking for it every couple months since I started it.

Note: I want to point out that I've been making progress on it. It's just VERY slow going.

Thank you SO much for posting that. I've never even tried beading and now I want to do it to everything I knit!

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Any ideas for what to knit with one skein of malabrigo sock? It's purple.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

rectal cushion posted:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baktus-scarf is written for any type of yarn, its simple, quick, and looks nice. The pattern writer says its a good use for single skeins of sock yarn. I've done it with self striping and novelty yarns and its a great TV knitting pattern.

EDIT: There's also a lace version of the pattern for something fancier: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lacy-baktus

wtftastic fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 16, 2013

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

rectal cushion posted:

Very small socks?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So I've been volunteered to knit two dog sweaters for my brother's dogs. What's a yarn that will be nice and warm, but easy to wash? Because apparently they tend to piss everywhere.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Wandering Knitter posted:

So I've been volunteered to knit two dog sweaters for my brother's dogs. What's a yarn that will be nice and warm, but easy to wash? Because apparently they tend to piss everywhere.

A very sturdy acrylic in a tight knit. Dogs do not need super nice yarns and will just ruin them. A soft, sturdy acrylic is perfectly serviceable and will wash easily enough. The toughest thing is finding one that you don't want to burn because knitting with it is such a pain.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
I just realized that I've been knitting my first project in the round on circulars backwards, ie making it inside out. I've used DPNs before, don't know why I didn't catch myself earlier. Luckily it'll turn out fine, but I feel really stupid and it's way to late to turn back now.

Drinking and knitting: not even once.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

two forty posted:

I just realized that I've been knitting my first project in the round on circulars backwards, ie making it inside out. I've used DPNs before, don't know why I didn't catch myself earlier. Luckily it'll turn out fine, but I feel really stupid and it's way to late to turn back now.

I did that this weekend on a project. It was a simple project that no one is going to wear or see really so it didn't matter. But it isn't the first time I've done it. I find that I do it when I have to use magic loop. Because I'm so preoccupied with aligning stitches and making sure everything doesn't get twisted that I'm not paying attention to if the needs are in the back of the work on in the front.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Do you mean you're knitting like this?

With the right side facing inward and you're knitting on the far edge from you, but still right to left?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If so, you should be able to push the work through and keep knitting with the needles in front. But if it's colorwork like that, people actually recommend you do it inside-out to be sure the floats stay loose enough. Not a big deal either way.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

two forty posted:

I knit a pair of mittens a while back and the thumb on one mitten is inside out, because I turned the glove right side out to have a look at it and forgot to turn it back before I started knitting again :downs:.

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."

Colorwork. I'm a very experienced knitter that's pretty much tried everything... except colorwork. In usual fashion, I'm jumping in feet first and trying not to drown! Here is the pattern for my first colorwork.

jota23 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 17, 2013

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

jota23 posted:

Colorwork. I'm a very experienced knitter that's pretty much tried everything... except colorwork. In usual fashion, I'm jumping in feet first and trying not to drown! Here is the pattern for my first colorwork.

Ooh, those are drat nice! Good luck. I loooove stranded colorwork.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Nothing real impressive, but a little sweater I made for my daughter.

And because I'm horrible, I put it on hold for 10 months so now it doesn't fit her. It's more like a bolero.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Awww that is an adorable little sweater though!

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

frenchnewwave posted:

Nothing real impressive, but a little sweater I made for my daughter.

That's super cute! What pattern is it?

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

jota23 posted:

what up leaping-before-looking buddy :hfive:

Here's the pattern I'll be attempting for my first journey into colorwork:

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Thanks! Here's the pattern book I used.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

jota23 posted:

Hnng. I *need* this in my life.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

GabrielAisling posted:

A very sturdy acrylic in a tight knit. Dogs do not need super nice yarns and will just ruin them. A soft, sturdy acrylic is perfectly serviceable and will wash easily enough. The toughest thing is finding one that you don't want to burn because knitting with it is such a pain.

Doesn't acrylic get 'killed' if thrown into the dryer? That's my only worry about making it out of 100% acrylic.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Doesn't acrylic get 'killed' if thrown into the dryer? That's my only worry about making it out of 100% acrylic.

I've got a bunch of old red heart super saver afghans my grandmother and her sisters made that have all survived the dryer just fine. So long as nobody tries to dry it on high heat, they should be fine.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Yeah, my mess-up is just like the picture with the DPNs. Since its single color and consists entirely of knits and purls it makes pretty much zero difference.

That colorwork stuff is beautiful. Someday, about twenty years from now...

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

Sometimes you 'kill' acrylic on purpose so it will drape properly. Newer yarn handles the dryer just fine and is made for it. The yarn that would get ruined in the dryer hasn't been made in like the last 30 years where it would melt and harden into a mess.

If you're worried, knit a swatch and toss it into the dryer.

Meat Street
Oct 17, 2004

knowin' nothin' in life but to be legit
Hello Knitters!

I just took the wraps off my shiny new iOS 7 yarn-related app, Skein: http://skeinapp.com

It's nothing too fancy, the idea is that it integrates with Ravelry to act as a yarn shopping assistant. I want to get some copies into the hands of goons, so take a look at the site and grab one of these here tokens if you're interested:

(edit: see my post on the next page for more tokens!)

Feel free to leave me feedback via PM here or on Ravelry, username tomburns. There's also a user group, if you're into that kind of thing: http://www.ravelry.com/groups/skein-for-ios

Meat Street fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 19, 2013

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.

This looks pretty cool. I grabbed the token above, hope no one minds. (Wasn't sure if they were one time uses or what like in the Coke thread). Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Meat Street posted:

Coolest App Ever.

I took a free copy of the App. So to repay you I will plug this app at my next knitting club meeting!