Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Okuyasu is the more fiscally responsible one of himself and Josuke.

"Ok, old man who I don't like and think is senile. I'm going to give you my credit card to buy baby supplies. Don't do anything stupid with it."

I like Josuke and Okuyasu's dynamic. The two of them bumming around town together doing stuff like finding crop circles and breaking into a middle school gym storage room for the free coffee did a lot to flesh out their personalities. That and their asides. "I can't walk in this water. These are 25,000 yen shoes!" and "Pudding's for girls. A guy like me can be eating that *eats it immediately*" Little things like that really helped them as characters. I'm glad Araki did similar stuff for Johnny and Gyro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

tmboatman posted:

Maybe not everybody is as nonchalant as Okuyasa about having their guts exploded out as a method of healing.

That would be the combat application of the stand. You know it.

A foe? Quick, let me break your ribs, then you eat this carpaccio and impale the bastard with bone shards.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 12, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yo dudes, buy the Part 3 Manga's digital release so we can get some more JoJos.

I wanted a Diamond is Unbreakable western release four years ago, here's hoping we get to see some more support for western JoJos.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
So I finished reading Stone Ocean a few weeks back and I'm curious about the ending and how it leads into Steel Ball Run.

Okay, so Pucci's Made in Heaven can fast forward reality into infinity until he finds a statistical copy of the current world and any existing creatures from the previous world will pop into the current one. However, for some reason, Pucci didn't want Emporio to defeat him until at least after the Cape Canaveral incident because I guess since it is a statistical copy, the world will no matter what end at Cape Canaveral and if Pucci isn't there for it then the world will just fast forward into infinity again and if/when it stops he couldn't guarantee it'd be another statistical copy of the current world? Am I understanding that right? And then Emporio ends up in another version of Earth with Annakis and Irene and they all go on a trip with this world's Hermes saying they need to stop off at Cape Canaveral, which I guess means that the world will end there maybe but since Pucci isn't around for it then either time will continue as normal or time will speed up until the next iteration of the universe even if it isn't an exact copy, leading to the world of Steel Ball Run?

Do I have that right or am I completely off the mark here?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
All you need to know is that Pucci created an alternate universe, and Emporio was the only good guy to survive. Other Jojos may or may not be alive.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

So I finished reading Stone Ocean a few weeks back and I'm curious about the ending and how it leads into Steel Ball Run.

Okay, so Pucci's Made in Heaven can fast forward reality into infinity until he finds a statistical copy of the current world and any existing creatures from the previous world will pop into the current one. However, for some reason, Pucci didn't want Emporio to defeat him until at least after the Cape Canaveral incident because I guess since it is a statistical copy, the world will no matter what end at Cape Canaveral and if Pucci isn't there for it then the world will just fast forward into infinity again and if/when it stops he couldn't guarantee it'd be another statistical copy of the current world? Am I understanding that right? And then Emporio ends up in another version of Earth with Annakis and Irene and they all go on a trip with this world's Hermes saying they need to stop off at Cape Canaveral, which I guess means that the world will end there maybe but since Pucci isn't around for it then either time will continue as normal or time will speed up until the next iteration of the universe even if it isn't an exact copy, leading to the world of Steel Ball Run?

AFAIK there's no official word that the world of Steel BAll Run is the one that Pucci created. I could be wrong about this but I believe Steel Ball Run was originally billed as its own series that was based on the JoJo characters and rules that had been established and only later did it become known as part 7. Most people assume that one universe leads into the other but I don't think there's anything official suggesting it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I could've sworn that an interview with Araki a couple pages back said that they aren't the same universe.

e: Yeah, he said this: "The town of Morio-cho appears in Parts 4 and 8, but they're in parallel worlds, so they aren't linked in time or space."

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I wanted a Diamond is Unbreakable western release four years ago, here's hoping we get to see some more support for western JoJos.
I'd re-buy all of Stardust Crusaders digitally if it was possible in my country (and if they'd offer me the two volumes I'm missing at a fair price).

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's a larger summary of the announcement.

So yeah, as we've all suspected, the problem is in fact the referential nature of the series, it's nice to see Viz trying really hard though to get this done. I'm hoping this bears some fruit, because I don't think anyone would be opposed to some JoJo love in the west.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

FirstAidKite posted:

I think his plan is that because he fast forwarded the entire universe until it looped back to the present, everyone has, on some metaphysical level, experienced everything that is going to happen in the future because during the fast forward they saw it all. That's why the guards were having premonitions in the new universe: he's made his perfect world where everyone knows what's going to happen to them before it actually happens. If Pucci dies before the universe does a complete loop, then events will unfold differently and nobody will know their futures, ruining his entire plan.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

mikeycp posted:

I could've sworn that an interview with Araki a couple pages back said that they aren't the same universe.

e: Yeah, he said this: "The town of Morio-cho appears in Parts 4 and 8, but they're in parallel worlds, so they aren't linked in time or space."

I think he meant that there's no way for the two universes to interact, which can still make sense even if this is the universe that snapped into existence after Pucci died. The original universe is billions of years and a dimensional rewrite away.

I'm just hoping that the Joestar family tree radically diverging where Jotaro would have been is a plot point :shrug:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I'm almost certain that Kyou is the female Jotaro, just because of the hat.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Finally started Steel Ball Run proper today. I'm really digging the smaller, more personal scale to the action. An excellent way to switch things up after the back half of Stone Ocean. Also, apparently Mountain Tim has pretty much the same Stand as Jolyne, so yay for more rope shenanigans.

Edit: Oh my God, Dio making bad snake jokes. What is going on?

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 16, 2013

Daedelous
Nov 14, 2012
Well after seeing the Fugo DLC I feel compelled to chase after an english Purple Haze Feedback...

One wonders why Giorno takes on a bodyguard like that when he has one of the most broken stands in the series, is he not just not aware of it still?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
He loses GER at the end of Part 5.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
The new episode of the Abridged Series is out. My favorite scene was Zeppeli punching the frog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXfBJSnCKS8

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It got better with Episode 2 and uh... REALLY decreased again in Episode 3. I mean, bronies, really? Hasn't that barrel been slapped around enough?

Daedelous
Nov 14, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

He loses GER at the end of Part 5.

Well yeah since It finishes its existence at the end of time and thus the new world kicks in But does he keep constantly instead of his base stand? That's one reason I want to see this light novel.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It got better with Episode 2 and uh... REALLY decreased again in Episode 3. I mean, bronies, really? Hasn't that barrel been slapped around enough?

It's never enough, but also that was like five seconds of the total episode. Personally, Dio's lines and Connery Zepelli were more than enough to make it a great ep. Can't wait to see what he does with Bruford and Tarkus.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I still love that Speedwagon is Pops. It feels right somehow.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

It's never enough, but also that was like five seconds of the total episode. Personally, Dio's lines and Connery Zepelli were more than enough to make it a great ep. Can't wait to see what he does with Bruford and Tarkus.

No that was like a whole 2 minute long joke and Connery Zeppeli feels very... random to me. I dunno, this episode wasn't doing anything for me.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sex_Ferguson posted:

No that was like a whole 2 minute long joke and Connery Zeppeli feels very... random to me. I dunno, this episode wasn't doing anything for me.

It was a reference to some similarities between Zeppeli and Ramirez, Connery's character in Highlander.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Speaking of easy targets, I think Antfish fit in some subtle Twilight-bashing in there. Fire is the only thing that can kill vampires in the Twilightverse, and Zeppeli questions what sort of book says vampires can be killed by fire. It's difficult to tell, because there are probably a million other works that make vampires vulnerable to fire. Maybe I'm just reading too much into a joke from a silly recut of an animated series.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Daedelous posted:

Well yeah since It finishes its existence at the end of time and thus the new world kicks in But does he keep constantly instead of his base stand? That's one reason I want to see this light novel.

You misunderstood. Part 6 is were time reset. Part 5 was Giorno's part. The arrow fell out of GE once he beat Diavolo and he put it in the turtle after.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I was expecting Zeppeli to sound like Mario or some other ridiculous Italian stereotype but I love what Antfish did instead.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Cookie clicker has reached Japan.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Tarezax posted:

This is incredible. :stare:

Is there Cookie Clicker/FOTNS crossover fanart yet? "You are already clicked."

Chalupa Picada fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 16, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Tarezax posted:

Man, part 8 is getting fuckin' weird.

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun

Supersonic Shine posted:

The new episode of the Abridged Series is out. My favorite scene was Zeppeli punching the frog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXfBJSnCKS8

Oh my god, so beautiful!

Dio's voice is so perfect, I can't wait to see the rest!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tarezax posted:

This is absolutely beautiful.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I was expecting Zeppeli to sound like Mario or some other ridiculous Italian stereotype but I love what Antfish did instead.
I expected him to be The Fonz.

I have a feeling Tarkus and Bruford will either be The Road Warriors or Mordecai and Rigby.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Tarezax posted:

I hope the Stand is named Monster, after the R.E.M. album.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I suck at googling. Is there a way to buy part 1 and 2 digitally for my ipad? I want to support Jojo to encourage part 3.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

I suck at googling. Is there a way to buy part 1 and 2 digitally for my ipad? I want to support Jojo to encourage part 3.

Only if you live in Japan or Italy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Part 3 was the only part released in America, so you can support it by buying that.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dangit Viz, why couldn't you give me Part 4 or 5, or something I'd actually like to see in good english instead of 3.

But either way I'll probably still buy it. :v:

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Yardbomb posted:

Dangit Viz, why couldn't you give me Part 4 or 5, or something I'd actually like to see in good english instead of 3.

But either way I'll probably still buy it. :v:

Because part 3 was licensed back in 2006 and this is just a digital release of that. I am actually quite baffled at the middling reaction this has gotten.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Uznare posted:

I am actually quite baffled at the middling reaction this has gotten.

I'd assume it's just because a lot of people who are already into the series are a bit eh on Stardust Crusaders these days.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
They're using the part they've already translated as a testing ground to see whether or not there's enough market to justify attempting to localize the more copyright infringement heavy parts. Any coolness on the response has been because some fans want a physical release instead of a digital one, and some don't want to bother if the names are going to end up changed. The conversation that announcement came from was some idiot on Facebook bitching about that very thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think if it does halfway decently then they'll at least do Parts 1 and 2, not so sure about the ones after that. I feel like JoJo would need to gain a rather sudden cult following that actually buys stuff to get to the later ones. I've especially seen on some other sites how some fans just will not accept censorship of any sort so they will not buy the manga even though Araki himself approved the changes and drew new artwork for the censorship so it's not obtrusive.

• Locked thread