Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

IT Guy posted:

So I haven't really looked past vSphere ESXi, but two of you mentioned Essentials so I went and looked at what it was and apparently it's cheap as hell and comes with vSphere Server? That means I can migrate VMs from one host/datastore to another, correct?

When I was looking into it, I was looking at standard and saw that it was about 10k. Am I wrong here, is essentials really only $500 and is licensed for 3 hosts with 2cpu each?

You need to look into this for your environment.
http://store.vmware.com/store/vmware/en_US/pd/ThemeID.2485600/productID.284146600
Essentials Plus is a super good deal for what you get

Essentials is 500 because it really doesn't do anything cool http://store.vmware.com/store/vmware/Content/pbPage.vSphereComparePage

As far as HW can you reuse any of your current servers?
http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Essentials is the bare minimum kit that exists, and yes it's like $300ish after typical VAR discounts. It lets you manage up to 3 hosts and gets you access to Update Manager for patching. But notably it does NOT let you do vMotion which is moving around powered on VM's, or HA which automatically relocates VM's when a host dies. You need Essentials Plus for that. Which honestly is still a steal, it's something like $4k for up to 3 hosts.

The big limitation of the Essentials kits is the 3 host max. Any more than that and you need to be on at least Standard which is a significant price jump. With the size of environment you're talking about, that's major overkill. Essentials Plus is your sweet spot.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 16, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

IT Guy posted:

So I haven't really looked past vSphere ESXi, but two of you mentioned Essentials so I went and looked at what it was and apparently it's cheap as hell and comes with vSphere Server? That means I can migrate VMs from one host/datastore to another, correct?

When I was looking into it, I was looking at standard and saw that it was about 10k. Am I wrong here, is essentials really only $500 and is licensed for 3 hosts with 2cpu each?

edit: oh ok, Essentials + is $5k (still reasonable) and comes with HA and vMotion.
A decent reseller will charge you probably half of that.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

As far as HW can you reuse any of your current servers?

That's kind of the problem. The current way we buy hardware is to buy cheap poo poo that basically runs the server itself and nothing more.

Our 3 newer servers are Dell T110's with single CPU Intel E3 chips with 16GB of RAM and onboard NICs. RAM is obviously upgradable as is the NICs but the CPU might not be good enough for virtualization.

Docjowles posted:

or HA which automatically relocates VM's when a host dies.

Does HA use resources on the other host all the time or only when it actually has to fail over?

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 16, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

IT Guy posted:

Does HA use resources on the other host all the time or only when it actually has to fail over?
HA basically just does heartbeat checks to make sure that your VMs are running. If it sees that a VM that should be running is not running, it will start it on another host in the cluster. This doesn't use resources, but it's recommended that you reserve those resources (this is an HA setting) to ensure the other hosts in your cluster have enough spare capacity to start up your VMs in the event of a complete host failure.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

A lot of people confuse HA and FT (fault tolerance). HA is what Misogynist describes. FT runs two copies of a VM on two hosts in sync, so that if one host dies it will fail over instantly instead of being down for a few moments til the new VM boots. It's generally regarded as terrible and unusable.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Docjowles posted:

A lot of people confuse HA and FT (fault tolerance). HA is what Misogynist describes. FT runs two copies of a VM on two hosts in sync, so that if one host dies it will fail over instantly instead of being down for a few moments til the new VM boots. It's generally regarded as terrible and unusable.
It's not that it's terrible and unusable, but there are two pretty important restrictions. The first is that it requires the VM to be no larger than a single vCPU, which makes it impractical for most critical workloads. The second is that unless you're running 10 gigabit, you'll basically need a dedicated network link for FT logging between systems.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Ah yes, I was under the impression that HA was FT. HA is more of what we'd need. I don't think we would ever need fault tolerance.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
The HA / FT stuff is a very common VMware job question so take note.

HA basically just means "Can this VM be rebooted on the other hosts in the cluster if one host fails?", so you need shared storage, some leftover resources on the hosts, etc. I recommend setting an admission policy for the cluster, but use percent reserved instead of host failures tolerated because host failure calculations are really weird. It definitely helps to use memory reservations too. That way, you're sure you can have HA / DRS move VMs without causing memory contention, and with a reservation you no longer need a VSWP file which can save some space on the SAN.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

IT Guy posted:

Our 3 newer servers are Dell T110's with single CPU Intel E3 chips with 16GB of RAM and onboard NICs. RAM is obviously upgradable as is the NICs but the CPU might not be good enough for virtualization.

I wouldn't worry about CPUs much. With no sarcasm, I run my vSphere cluster on E-350s with 8GB of memory (because I don't do anything serious with VMware these days but I still need something fast enough to prototype on or compare features). The T110's CPU is fine.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
Yeah, on almost every single small network I can think of, memory and disk size are your limiting factors. You need a LOT of users or a seriously intense application to peg out a modern CPU. Best practices, you want the minimum amount of vCPUs possible. Try to keep VM vCPU usage between 30-80%. If you go above 80%, add another vCPU. Generally, adding unused vCPUs adds overhead in memory and can result in some weird contention issues from CPU scheduling.

Network contention can be an issue, but usually only if you're not using separate NICs for iSCSI / FCOE and vMotion. Generally, they should all be segregated unless you've got 10Gb.

El_Matarife fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 16, 2013

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Agreed. CPU for days, never enough memory. New hosts are coming in soon though with 256GB which will help a lot.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Interesting. I guess I could give it a shot. First I'm going to come up with a serious 5 year plan though to hopefully get some more funds. The only single point of failure that really worries me is that they won't spend enough on a NAS/SAN that has redundant controller and nic and we'll be left down for a couple days.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Misogynist posted:

it's recommended that you reserve those resources (this is an HA setting) to ensure the other hosts in your cluster have enough spare capacity to start up your VMs in the event of a complete host failure.
There are a few ways you can do this.

1) make sure you have n+1 capacity (run 3 hosts at 66% or less, then a single host failure will put the two remaining near 100%)
2) accept an over capacity situation in the event you lose a host. It's a pretty rare event, so seeing some memory pressure and cpu wait time might be palatable to your management in order to save some money.

We go with option 1 in our environment, we have 6 hosts in our primary cluster and run each one around 80% on CPU and RAM.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

IT Guy posted:

That's kind of the problem. The current way we buy hardware is to buy cheap poo poo that basically runs the server itself and nothing more.

That really will take you a lot farther than you think.
http://www.vmware.com/resources/com...r&sortOrder=Asc

Of those T110's 16GB host how much ram is actually being used? Evaluate your hosts on CPU(which is probably <10%), memory, and disk loads. Chances are you can buy a Intel net DP/QP adapter off CDW throw it in there and get what you need out of the box.

Vmware also has Transparent Page sharing, thus like blocks of memory can be 'de-duped' in a sense and provide bigger increases in memory utilization.

Not to mention things like bios updates and firmware updates can also help squeeze extra performance out of those boxes.

IT Guy posted:

Interesting. I guess I could give it a shot. First I'm going to come up with a serious 5 year plan though to hopefully get some more funds. The only single point of failure that really worries me is that they won't spend enough on a NAS/SAN that has redundant controller and nic and we'll be left down for a couple days.

There is software out there which can take DAS(direct attached Storage) and provide it as shared storage to all hosts for things such as HA/DRS/vMotion.
Vmware has one called the VSA, however keep in mind this has some sizable limitations, Nexenta also has one which is pretty good and ZFS based, vSAN's is also coming down the pipe as we speak and seems pretty cool.

A redundent controller NAS isn't terribly expensive granted it isn't free but, the VNXe's are fairly price competitive, and HP's MSA's are well you get what you pay for.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 17, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

That really will take you a lot farther than you think.
http://www.vmware.com/resources/com...r&sortOrder=Asc

Of those T110's 16GB host how much ram is actually being used? Evaluate your hosts on CPU(which is probably <10%), memory, and disk loads. Chances are you can buy a Intel net DP/QP adapter off CDW throw it in there and get what you need out of the box.

Vmware also has Transparent Page sharing, thus like blocks of memory can be 'de-duped' in a sense and provide bigger increases in memory utilization.

Not to mention things like bios updates and firmware updates can also help squeeze extra performance out of those boxes.
Plus, with 8GB DDR3 DIMMs being dirt cheap, stuffing those full of memory shouldn't cost more than a thousand bucks. Disk will be the big oversubscription risk, relative to budget.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Since they changed their page size you really don't see any benefit until you get under memory pressure and it switches to smaller pages. Not a huge deal, but you have to be seeing performance issues before you get memory dedupe. In the end it probably ends up the same, but for sizing purposes, I don't think TPS is a factor any longer.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

IT Guy posted:

Evaluate what you have and what you can reuse, just because you are going virtual doesn't mean you can't reuse servers. Look at what you have, look at what you can reuse that is on the HCL, warranty can be renewed, and does not have known HW issues. You can stretch that 20k much farther than you think if you find out you can add some ram and network adapters into 3 hosts and just 1up the warranty.

adorai posted:

Since they changed their page size you really don't see any benefit until you get under memory pressure and it switches to smaller pages. Not a huge deal, but you have to be seeing performance issues before you get memory dedupe. In the end it probably ends up the same, but for sizing purposes, I don't think TPS is a factor any longer.

I thought it was also based on if the host was over subscribed with more vRam than pRam. So even if you weren't hitting the X% you would still invoke TPS to start kicking off.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 17, 2013

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've been auditing all of our VMware license keys and we're missing 4 somewhere. Not in our portal or order history. Followed up with my VAR, somewhere in the chain they were issued to a company with a similar name in UGANDA. Hopefully this isn't too painful to fix.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

skipdogg posted:

I've been auditing all of our VMware license keys and we're missing 4 somewhere. Not in our portal or order history. Followed up with my VAR, somewhere in the chain they were issued to a company with a similar name in UGANDA. Hopefully this isn't too painful to fix.

A lot of our smartnet stuff ends up on a different county's account with the same name but about 1500 miles away.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
I think someone needs to extend Cloud To Butt Plus to cover "software-defined datacenter".

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

So it turns out years and years ago when we first started virtualizing we bought 2 acceleration kits, so we have 2 licenses for vCenter. We have 2 main datacenters, one on East Coast, one on the West. vCenter currently lives on the west coast. Is it possible/recommended/feasible to setup some sort of failover vCenter in the east coast DC in case west coast drops for some reason? I'm going to dig through my books and google, but I figured what the hell, I'll ask here too.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
:emo: I'm looking for a remote VDI solution that is secure but highly accessible... I.e. works over HTTPS, through proxies, hard to block.

Legit business case: workers go on site, need to reach back to the main office desktop to demo the app (not portable). This usually works great over just Remote Desktop (RDWeb) the issue is all the :tinfoil: that network people do to keep their networks safe from the Chineese/NSA.

As I have said we are currently using RDWeb/RDGateway/Hyper-V for this.

We have vSphere/vCenter for another item so Horizon is on the table.

I have requested a sales call from Citrix.

Really, I'm looking for https://myhypervfarm.logmein.com | https://myvdi.join.me - (except hosted on our domain login.mybiz.com/) Please advise of anything worth looking at that is not VMWare or Citrix (is there a separate Micrsoft product I am missing?). Is there a specific aspect of either of those two that is better for what I am looking at. Note it's 12:00am and I have been working these issues for the last 16 hours, so any option is worth consideration if it's more reliable than what we have. I am throwing myself on the mercy of goon wisdom at this point.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

KennyG posted:

:emo: I'm looking for a remote VDI solution that is secure but highly accessible... I.e. works over HTTPS, through proxies, hard to block.

Legit business case: workers go on site, need to reach back to the main office desktop to demo the app (not portable). This usually works great over just Remote Desktop (RDWeb) the issue is all the :tinfoil: that network people do to keep their networks safe from the Chineese/NSA.

Really, I'm looking for https://myhypervfarm.logmein.com | https://myvdi.join.me - (except hosted on our domain login.mybiz.com/) Please advise of anything worth looking at that is not VMWare or Citrix (is there a separate Micrsoft product I am missing?). Is there a specific aspect of either of those two that is better for what I am looking at. Note it's 12:00am and I have been working these issues for the last 16 hours, so any option is worth consideration if it's more reliable than what we have. I am throwing myself on the mercy of goon wisdom at this point.

We use a Juniper SA SSL VPN for secure RDP access for our guys. We use a hardware model, but it's available as virtual image now. The thing is just a never ending font of useful features.

Supports a ton of authentication methods, use some form of two factor. Can provide policy based host checking on login, AV installed and current, firewall on, etc etc. Then provides a web interface to predefined resources, internal websites, RDP, SMB Shares, etc. Can also provide gotomeeting style functionality to let me remote people view/control your employees desktops.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

skipdogg posted:

So it turns out years and years ago when we first started virtualizing we bought 2 acceleration kits, so we have 2 licenses for vCenter. We have 2 main datacenters, one on East Coast, one on the West. vCenter currently lives on the west coast. Is it possible/recommended/feasible to setup some sort of failover vCenter in the east coast DC in case west coast drops for some reason? I'm going to dig through my books and google, but I figured what the hell, I'll ask here too.

vCenter Heartbeat. Never heard of anyone using it though.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

KennyG posted:

XenDesktop works through 80/443 by default, and I've had good results with it in environments that lock everything down.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

KennyG posted:

Both Citrix and Horizon would allow you to do this.

Are you looking for access to the desktop via web page? Horizon has HTML access which gives you your sound/video/desktop etc all through it. Citrix does the same but I think Citrix requires a client side plug-in.

My View Lab should be on tonight I can PM the url if you want to see it in action.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KennyG posted:

What's not working? RD Gateway should only need 443 incoming, which everyone should allow out.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.
Okay, now that everything's been purchased and delivered, I'm in the process of setting up my first production ESXi cluster cluster.

Looking at the Dell's documentation for the Powervault MD3220i, it looks like the SAN can have up to four iSCSI channels. Am I correct in understanding that each channel should be on separate VLANs and subnets?

I'm also seeing that in VMWare's best practices guide that the management port should be able to failover to the vmotion port and vice versa, FT can failover to VKernel, etc, and that those should be on separate VLANS. Does this mean that each port on my Cisco switches should be in trunk mode so they can handle multiple VLANS?

Thanks!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Tequila25 posted:

Okay, now that everything's been purchased and delivered, I'm in the process of setting up my first production ESXi cluster cluster.

Looking at the Dell's documentation for the Powervault MD3220i, it looks like the SAN can have up to four iSCSI channels. Am I correct in understanding that each channel should be on separate VLANs and subnets?

I'm also seeing that in VMWare's best practices guide that the management port should be able to failover to the vmotion port and vice versa, FT can failover to VKernel, etc, and that those should be on separate VLANS. Does this mean that each port on my Cisco switches should be in trunk mode so they can handle multiple VLANS?

Thanks!

I used to run a few MD3220i, good little boxes redundancy, ease of use, management wise for the price.

Setup each of your iSCSI IP addresses on their own subnet/vlan, that was a big thing that some Dell tech complained about when I had to call support for something unrelated.

Correct on trunk mode. We are running 10GbE here, 2x10GbE and 4x1GbE per host. Currently I have the 2xGbE running into trunk ports on seperate switches with VLANs for MGMT, iSCSI and VM Network. Only using 2x1GbE for vMotion.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

three posted:

XenDesktop works through 80/443 by default, and I've had good results with it in environments that lock everything down.
In my experience you need an access gateway or vpx for xendesktop over the internet. the xendesktop broker will refer to desktops by hostname even, so not only do you need to be able to connect directly to them (without an access gateway or vpx) but you also need to resolve them by hostname.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

adorai posted:

In my experience you need an access gateway or vpx for xendesktop over the internet. the xendesktop broker will refer to desktops by hostname even, so not only do you need to be able to connect directly to them (without an access gateway or vpx) but you also need to resolve them by hostname.

Yes, he'd need that. I didn't get from his post that he wanted the super cheapest option.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

skipdogg posted:

Honestly, I'd run a vCenter on the East Coast and one on the West Coast and put them in Linked Mode.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

skipdogg posted:

What's not working? RD Gateway should only need 443 incoming, which everyone should allow out.

Was going to say this. Remote Desktop Gateway encapsulates RDP traffic in SSL/TLS so you only need port 443 inbound: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731150.aspx

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

skipdogg posted:

You'd think that, but some firms we visit have a weird layered proxy that is killing the connection.

It's bat-poo poo crazy and I am fighting with our management and theirs showing them every step of the way to anyone who will listen that this is their ridiculous config doing stupid :tinfoil: things. Our management wants to throw money at the problem (and bill it back to the client) and while it's not a view I share personally, it's certainly a behavior that, on a Pavlovian basis, I want to reward.

Dilbert, I lost plat on my last ban. Can you email me kj at stillabower dot com

KennyG fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 19, 2013

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream

KennyG posted:

You'd think that, but some firms we visit have a weird layered proxy that is killing the connection.

Skip the client's internet connection and use an aircard?

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

echo465 posted:

Skip the client's internet connection and use an aircard?

I appreciate the brain storming, but it's multiple users at a site, many of whom are the clients. Sometimes we don't even go to the site and it's them (the custoemer) logging in remotely. air cards are just a no go.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

If your RDS config is setup right and you're still having issues the only thing I can think of is some kind of SSL VPN (Juniper is what we use) to launch the RDP session. Are these places double natting their internet connection? That can play havoc with some SSL stuff sometimes.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Is there any way to demo/evaluate vCenter Server? I can't find anything on the VMware website at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

IT Guy posted:

Is there any way to demo/evaluate vCenter Server? I can't find anything on the VMware website at all.

https://www.vmware.com/try-vmware/

You will have to make a login.