Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tasslex
Apr 23, 2003

He's watching YOU

Can any of you tell me if it's possible to migrate a filesystem from one server to another (or from one LUN to another on the same server) and retain Volume Shadow Copies? I hit this little snag on accident when prepping for this change, and my initial research says you can't do this, but that seems completely insane so I'm hoping someone here has a better answer for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

AlternateAccount posted:

As far as I can tell, there's no real option between sticking a USB3 card in the server to get the transfer done in a reasonable amount of time or investing thousands in an expensive tape system, is that pretty much where I am at?

Can you go over Ethernet to the "NAS" appliance? If you have a gig connection you should be pulling upto 120MB/s

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You're breaking your head over something that "management" can fix with a $50/mo broadband connection.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Can you go over Ethernet to the "NAS" appliance? If you have a gig connection you should be pulling upto 120MB/s

I can't think of a protocol or filesystem on earth that'll push max theoretical throughput of GigE to a "little Buffalo 3TB RAID1 box", but yeah, it's better than USB 3.0

And schlepping drives is not a bad backup.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

evil_bunnY posted:

You're breaking your head over something that "management" can fix with a $50/mo broadband connection.

It's not always that easy - I do some work occasionally for a company of about 12 who are stuck on 1Mb upload unless they pay nearly £700 per month for a leased line.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Does anyone have any recommendations for basic entry-level SANs or NASs that are dual controller, dual power supply, etc? Features like snapshots and data tiering don't matter so much, these would be used in very small environments. I have seen the Dell MD3200i thrown around as a suggestion. Any cheaper than that which are still recommendable?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I think you are going to have a hard time finding anything cheaper than that that isn't prosumer garbage.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Internet Explorer posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for basic entry-level SANs or NASs that are dual controller, dual power supply, etc? Features like snapshots and data tiering don't matter so much, these would be used in very small environments. I have seen the Dell MD3200i thrown around as a suggestion. Any cheaper than that which are still recommendable?

Below the MD3000/3200, you're pretty much at Synology-level trash or rolling your own with FreeNAS, OpenFiler, Nexenta, LeftHand, or whatever. If those are your options, pick rolling your own whitebox with ZFS (if you're good on *nix) or Lefthand if you're not.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How's the MD3200i compare price-wise to the HP P2000? I can't really fault the one we bought.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

They're probably your best option. I've used them before and to be honest Id' use them over a few "real" SANs (hello HP).

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

P2000 is probably the only comparable to that.

evol262 posted:

I can't think of a protocol or filesystem on earth that'll push max theoretical throughput of GigE to a "little Buffalo 3TB RAID1 box", but yeah, it's better than USB 3.0

And schlepping drives is not a bad backup.

Derp, I was thinking of one of those NetGear ReadyNAS's.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 28, 2013

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's what I figured. Thanks for the quick feedback Enterprise Storage Megathread!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evil_bunnY posted:

They're probably your best option. I've used them before and to be honest Id' use them over a few "real" SANs (hello HP).

I'm still at a loss for the fascination of 3Par and HP storage, I've looked at it I just don't seem to "get it" like some of my co-workers do.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I brain farted horribly, the Buffalo box is straight up USB3, no Ethernet. I tried doing it across Ethernet with a drive connected to my desktop, but it seemed to cause some network troubles, not sure why, but then again I am not entirely even sure of the topology here in general.

evil_bunnY posted:

Particulars of our location mean our options for internet are very, very limited. Currently we're paying ~$1000 for a wireless 30mb link. Also we'd have to upgrade the link at the remote site, unless the backup the data to a third location.

I think I am just going to go the usb3 route for a few months, it's cheap and gets me where I need to be for now. I am just really wary of solutions like this after my last job where things half-done and half-working constantly bit us in the rear end.

Thanks, I'll probably need SAN advice next year...

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/storage/disk/storwize_v3700/browse.html

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
V3700 is a great little product, but be aware that it doesn't support any block-level remote mirroring like the V7000 does. Still, the use of 6 Gb SAS or 1 Gb Ethernet instead of 8 Gb FC or 10 Gb Ethernet does mean some reasonable (if not gigantic) cost savings over the V7000.

If you decide to trick it out with FC cards and dual controllers, the price isn't vastly different from V7000, as one might expect.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

What kind of IOPS and space requirements are you looking for?

My old environment (that I still do consulting for) currently has two MD32220i each with a MD1220i added on. They have been rock solid and provide the performance as expected (for the number of spindles).

Going with a cheaper solution (prosumer) like Synology or QNAP will drop out the redundancy features (single point of failure being the motherboard). That old environment also has 3x QNAP 1679 running. While they are cheap and perform well (filled with SSDs), they are going to fail one day, and when they do, they will fail hard. For some reason I cannot get that through their heads.

Edit:

If you are really scraping to get something cheap that isn't prosumer. You can get used Dell MD3220i units with disks on eBay with a Dell warranty. Then you can contact Dell and extend the warranty for your HW lifecycle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-MD3220...=item232ebbf5fd

Moey fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 28, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I still don't have any major gripes on dell's storage aside from you having to keep up on the updates and don't expect more than what you paid for.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Misogynist posted:

V3700 is a great little product, but be aware that it doesn't support any block-level remote mirroring like the V7000 does. Still, the use of 6 Gb SAS or 1 Gb Ethernet instead of 8 Gb FC or 10 Gb Ethernet does mean some reasonable (if not gigantic) cost savings over the V7000.

If you decide to trick it out with FC cards and dual controllers, the price isn't vastly different from V7000, as one might expect.

According to the specs you can get Remote Mirror as an optional feature on the V3700: http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/au/storage/disk/storwize_v3700/specifications.html Of course Internet Explorer said that they do not need any advanced features so it's not an issue.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, thanks for the further suggestions. There is no specific IOPs requirement and we don't need fancy features because this would be going into small environments where shared storage isn't currently being used, or the only way of getting it sold would be something pro-sumer like a QNAP or Synology.

I am trying to avoid having anyone run their environment off one of those NASes with no redundancy features. We have ways of restoring from backup, but when you're talking about 2-5 TB and 4-5 VMs, I'd like to reduce the amount of times we are having to restore from backup in these environments.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Wicaeed posted:

Small/Mid-Size storage time:

I'm right in the middle of a poorly planned project, which is partly my fault (first time doing virtualization on this scale (~150 VMs, all in a test environment)), partly the fault of the fact that I had absolutely 0 budget aside from spare parts laying around our shop, and partly the fault of our parent company coming and saying "Lets test this new product feature that would require a massive hardware purchase to do this on physical boxes."

Our shop is small enough/new enough (and in the past, poorly managed enough) to not really have much in the way of properly implemented shared storage. The only Enterprise level SAN equipment we have is an aging Equallogic PS3000 series array, and a a new Equallogic PS4110/PS6110 array duo that is going to be used in our production Datacenter to host a new billing environment.

I'm looking into storage solutions right now for this Virtualization project (hopefully with the additional storage/performance capacity to handle another upcoming Virtualization project as we rebuild our company server room (~30 servers, most lightly used)) with roughly the following requirements:

~20TB Raw capacity
1Gbit/10Gbit redundant controllers
Snapshot support
Thin Provisioning support
Deduplication Support (This one is huge. I don't understand very much about dedup, other than the fact that the potential savings on storage is too important to ignore). I've been toying with Dedup on Windows Server 2012, and am impressed so far.

I should mention at this point that the budget I've been tentatively given is in the $20,000 area.

As I said before we have roughly 150 VM's in a test environment, with plans to do further virtualization projects as we can. I'm starting to look at vendor offerings with the above requirements, and so far I've found the following:

EMC VNXe3150
Nimble CS220
Tigile HA2100

I found the EMC VNXe3150 around that area, but I'm curious as to the other two vendors. Has anyone worked/partnered with them and are familiar with their pricing/drawbacks/feature sets?

edit: I should also mention at this point that we are a Dell shop, so we may be getting good pricing on EMC hardware.

So, quick follow-up to this:

Following two meetings with EMC, it is clear that their storage product lineup goes faaaaaaarrr beyond anything Equallogic offers. Seriously, the Equallogic setup we are planning for right now comes off as a simple DAS array compared to the offerings EMC has. Storage tiering with multiple disk types on a single shelf is extremely attractive to us, so much so that we actually have a budget in the 50,000 range now for EMC :dance:

The fact that our Dept VP and Manager are both on board with this speaks greatly. Looks like we might have EMC coming our way soon!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I know some guys in SH/SC aren't EMC's biggest fan, but we're pretty happy with our VNX5500's and I like my VNXe3300.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm assuming that you've gone back to your other vendors now your budget has been upped? I think pretty much everyone is capable of offering lots of awesome features when you have the budget for it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

50k will get you a pile a goodies from anyone. Then you get to tell EMC that, and watch that 50k get you even more.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

evil_bunnY posted:

50k will get you a pile a goodies from anyone. Then you get to tell EMC that, and watch that 50k get you even more.

Pretty much this. Also helps to be near the end of the quarter or year. Triply helps if the sales guy is having trouble meeting his numbers and needs the sale... Plus if you trade in your equallogic you can get some credit for that. Potentially even more credit if the sales guy thinks he's getting a big win in pulling out other vendors gear.

BrucieBonus
Dec 2, 2004

A question to those guys who have ZFS based systems in production, what are you using for your ZIL and L2ARC SSD acceleration? Obviously nothing with the words O, C or Z in the product description.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
The premier drive for ZIL is the STEC ZeusRAM. It's an 8 GB RAM Disk that uses a supercap to back up to an integrated SSD in case of power failure. It's very, very fast and quite expensive -- $2k+

edit: RAM is really cheap. Buy lots for ARC and skip the L2ARC.

KS fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 30, 2013

BrucieBonus
Dec 2, 2004

KS posted:

The premier drive for ZIL is the STEC ZeusRAM. It's an 8 GB RAM Disk that uses a supercap to back up to an integrated SSD in case of power failure. It's very, very fast and quite expensive -- $2k+

edit: RAM is really cheap. Buy lots for ARC and skip the L2ARC.

Thanks for that - I also found the DDRdrive X1 (https://www.ddrdrive.com) as a PCI-E alternative to the ZeusRAM. Will have a look at both for the ZIL! From what I've read it doesn't seem to be a good idea to put it on NAND based devices, but go DRAM all the way.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

We've got a BlueArc system with a number of end-of-life components that we need to prolong until we can formally decomm. Does anybody know a good third-party parts vendor that deals in BlueArc and LSI?

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Misogynist posted:

We've got a BlueArc system with a number of end-of-life components that we need to prolong until we can formally decomm. Does anybody know a good third-party parts vendor that deals in BlueArc and LSI?

Possibly Berkcom or Zerowait. If those don't pan out I can ask my Hitachi (Intervision) guy who was just today talking to me about dealing with people who are dealing with old BlueArc crap.

e: goon M@ works at (or used to work at) ECS. In the past they've been good at getting me old gear.

Aquila fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 5, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Aquila posted:

Possibly Berkcom or Zerowait. If those don't pan out I can ask my Hitachi (Intervision) guy who was just today talking to me about dealing with people who are dealing with old BlueArc crap.

e: goon M@ works at (or used to work at) ECS. In the past they've been good at getting me old gear.
You're awesome. Thanks for the leads!

ReverendK
Jan 17, 2005
Brilliant #1

Misogynist posted:

You're awesome. Thanks for the leads!

If it is a LSI/Engenio based storage system you could try contacting Harwood as well:

http://www.harwood-intl.com/services/

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
Does anyone know if the VNX2 is released yet or have a release date? We are about to pull the trigger on a smallish VNX5300, but I'd say it's worth waiting a couple of weeks to get the new one..

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

This isn't exactly enterprise storage but today I got a new Netgear ReadyNAS 316. I've used ReadyNAS devices in the past and found them to be annoyingly finicky if not completely broken. However Netgear have really gotten their act together and the 316 is fantastic (Especially the GUI, really slick). I could definitely see myself recommending it for SOHO/SMB.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

GrandMaster posted:

Does anyone know if the VNX2 is released yet or have a release date? We are about to pull the trigger on a smallish VNX5300, but I'd say it's worth waiting a couple of weeks to get the new one..

Its out in the wild. Go buy it, the test lab ones we had are awesome. There will be quirks as its a new OS but its performance is solid

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Hay guys what's going on in th

GrandMaster posted:

Rumours are it will go GA around the 16th September.

Waiting for a VNX2 can work if you don't mind adding to the timelines - the quotes will have to be redone (may go up or down in price, who knows) and there may be a delay getting it to you due to the usual rush.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
If you already planned on buying a 5300, why not buy one at a fire sale price? If you need something bigger, I was told that EMC is currently taking STEEP cuts on the new 5400 since the 5200 won't be done available for two or three months.

I wish MCx would come to the existing VNX line. We see a drop of maybe 1-2 pings when a LUN is trespassed and I'm hoping the new architecture would fix that. Totally kills me that it's a forklift upgrade. I'm not even sure they'll let us keep our existing shelves right now, which I think is a Q4 / Q1 next year approval.

I got a Pure Storage briefing a month ago, and man, it's like seeing the future compared to what EMC is doing. Non-disruptive storage controller upgrades. (Yeah, you lose a path but better than a total outage.) Too bad they've got zero features right now. No FCoE, no array based replication, no iSCSI, etc.

VSPEX looks to me like EMC is preparing for the imminent collapse of VCE.

Beelzebubba9
Feb 24, 2004

GrandMaster posted:

I just had EMC re-quote me a VNX2 5400 instead of the 5300 because as El_Matarife says, EMC is offering pretty steep discounts on the 5400 in low end configurations until the end of the quarter to avoid bleeding customers until the 5200 comes out. Without any discounts I was told the price on the 5400 was ~15% higher than the 5300.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
Given that the 5400 is the equivalent of a 5500, that's a good deal. Twice the iSCSI / FC ports, twice the drives. If you're worried about expansion on the 5300, you just solved that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

szlevi
Sep 10, 2010

[[ POKE 65535,0 ]]

Amandyke posted:

Pretty much this. Also helps to be near the end of the quarter or year. Triply helps if the sales guy is having trouble meeting his numbers and needs the sale... Plus if you trade in your equallogic you can get some credit for that. Potentially even more credit if the sales guy thinks he's getting a big win in pulling out other vendors gear.

^^^THIS - end of the year is THE BEST and end of a quarter is second best time to buy anything and all things you've mentioned will make them even sweeter. I literally almost never buy anything in-between quarters.